Notifications
Clear all

Taking Accutane For Body Acne Rather Than Face

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 10/23/2011 6:05 am

This doesn't really apply to me, I am just curious. If you take accutane for body acne, but your face is actually mostly clear, how does it affect your face? Anyone have experience of this? Does it just clear your face quickly, or will it still get worse before it gets better (like those with more severe cases)?

MemberMember
(@danipaskor)

Posted : 10/23/2011 7:51 am

I imagine you might have an initial breakout on your face when you start the accutane.

I am taking Accutane for my face but when I first started I got zits places on my body where I never had them before (back, legs, arms, inside the ear- gross, lol)

So maybe it is the reverse? Not sure though!

Is your body acne severe?

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 10/23/2011 8:44 am

spamspamspam

MemberMember
(@mday06)

Posted : 12/19/2011 5:01 pm

Hey,

I have sever cystic and regular acne all over my back and chest, but only get a few pimples on my face.

My doctor recommended acutance and I have been on it for three days. I don't know if it will temporarily cause more facial acne but my derm definitely felt it could help my body acne.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@roxanol)

Posted : 12/20/2011 11:26 am

In my experience, if your acne isn't terrible to start with (on your face, that is), you'll clear up pretty fast (1-2 months). That said, there are more than enough people that don't clear up (regardless of their severity) until the fourth or fifth months. I haven't personally used Accutane for body acne, but I imagine that, as its effects are systemic and non-selective, your acne (regardless of location) will be improved to some degree. You might just find your keratosis pilaris to improved as well, as isotretinoin normalizes keratinization (in addition to exhibiting anti-inflammatory effects).

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 10/29/2012 1:35 pm

Bump, still interested about this.

MemberMember
(@lionfish)

Posted : 11/22/2012 5:00 pm

I guess I have moderate but persistent back acne with quite a few painful nodules that after 10 years has left the skin on my back a total mess (my skin scars noticeably from acne/surgery/any injury). I also have very oily facial skin but thankfully most the acne on my face was always mild/minor and could be kept under control with a good face wash and benzoyl peroxide cream.

I've been on a lowish dose (for my weight anyway) of Accutane for 14 weeks now. When I started I did notice a few extra pimples on my face and especially blackheads - it was like the drug was pushing them out of the skin ! . Also the same thing when I increased the dose.

But really I have not experienced a severe flare up - my one big concern was that it would cause an initial breakout and that I might start getting those nasty inflammed nodules that last for weeks on my face as well as my body. So I'm grateful that didn't happen and can understand why others with body acne would worry about spreading the problem.

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 11/27/2012 1:22 pm

I guess I have moderate but persistent back acne with quite a few painful nodules that after 10 years has left the skin on my back a total mess (my skin scars noticeably from acne/surgery/any injury).I also have very oily facial skin but thankfully most the acne on my face was always mild/minor and could be kept under control with a good face wash and benzoyl peroxide cream.

I've been on a lowish dose (for my weight anyway) of Accutane for 14 weeks now. When I started I did notice a few extra pimples on my face and especially blackheads - it was like the drug was pushing them out of the skin ! . Also the same thing when I increased the dose.

But really I have not experienced a severe flare up - my one big concern was that it would cause an initial breakout and that I might start getting those nasty inflammed nodules that last for weeks on my face as well as my body. So I'm grateful that didn't happen and can understand why others with body acne would worry about spreading the problem.

Thanks for the post.

MemberMember
(@sallysa)

Posted : 11/28/2012 4:30 pm

If I didn't break out on my chest and back I probably wouldn't be on accutane. I'm on about day 30, my face didn't really break out any more than usual, maybe one or two medium sizes places. But my chest cleared up almost immediately and has stayed clear. Nothing additional. My face is clear, so far I'm loving it! (knock on wood)

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 01/15/2013 4:54 pm

If I didn't break out on my chest and back I probably wouldn't be on accutane. I'm on about day 30, my face didn't really break out any more than usual, maybe one or two medium sizes places. But my chest cleared up almost immediately and has stayed clear. Nothing additional. My face is clear, so far I'm loving it! (knock on wood)

Awesome! I am still interested in this because I strangely suffer from acne on my chest (lots of tiny ones) yet my back's 99% clear and my face is pretty clear also.

MemberMember
(@sallysa)

Posted : 01/15/2013 5:00 pm

Yes now I'm 1/2 way thru and everything is still going great. Completely clear. I can't wait to be done! Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/31/2013 10:22 pm

bump. I am facing a similar conundrum.

How bad was your body acne prior to accutane sallysa?