Notifications
Clear all

Repairing the long-term damage from Accutane

MemberMember
(@indigorush)

Posted : 05/13/2011 10:41 am

I'm also looking into bowel/liver cleasing.

It's a good idea.

I know to do it properly you should withdraw from bad foods (like milk, bread, sugar, alcohol) for about a week... But I'm not sure I can go a week without cakes and what-not.

If I knew you had to do it just the once, obviously I'd do it.

For now though, I think I'm doing my liver some good with the milk thistle and dandelion root extract. I ordered the supplement you said about... 'Calcium D-Glucarate', though I'm not sure it'll really work as surely within 5 years my body would've elminated the toxins... But we'll see. You started with it yet?

No, I can't find it in stores. I'll have to order it.

Some people say they have high vitamin A even years after Accutane, so perhaps some of it stays in your liver. Your liver does store excess vitamin A when it can. Maybe this is why some get the long term side effects, their liver absorbs it, for some reason it can't get rid of it fast enough so it just continues to be deactivated and reactivated through the process of glucuronidation and beta-glucoronidase.

I've noticed something. When I take a tablespoon of olive oil, the next few days are hell and it's like I'm reliving Accutane. My bones begin to ache more, hair falls out more, and my skin begins to shed like crazy. I think it's because, when you consume a good amount of fat you gallblader will release your bile which contains all the toxins into your bowels, and then some of it is excreted while some is reabsorbed causing the side effects to reoccur.

Interesting. Why would you take a tablespoon of olive oil? I've heard you can do that as part of a detox. I feel terrible at the moment :(

Well yeahs it's supposedly good for detox. But I suppose I need to detox a bit slower. Do you feel terrible because you took olive oil?

I'm doing a liver flush tomorrow.

I've never tried olive oil.. But I imagine it'd be the same for me.

I've heard some people, on another site, have some success with liver flushing and one mentioned it make all his symptoms come back for a while.. Maybe you have to go through hell before the good stuff. Having said that, I feel so low energy a lot of the time, I can't seem to help reaching for bad food.

When you do the liver flushing do you cut out all bad food (bread/milk/sugar/alcohol)?

MemberMember
(@indigorush)

Posted : 05/13/2011 10:43 am

I wish I could help you. I was on accutane for a year and not only did it not clear my acne but left me with long term side effects.

Of course, this was 7 years ago. I didn't do any research (I was a teenager), there weren't websites like this for acne....

How people here can read through these replies and still decide to take this horrible drug just to get rid of their zits is beyond me. Really tempting fate!!

Thanks Greeneyes. I forget that I'm not alone. I feel so different to everyone. I've got terrible anxiety just walking past people. Are your side effects quite bad?

MemberMember
(@indigorush)

Posted : 05/14/2011 1:16 pm

Bump*

MemberMember
(@seattle-jt)

Posted : 05/15/2011 12:03 am

P.s. just as an additional note, I don't believe accutane alters the telomere length, some of 'us' have had this tested for. I simply (well it isn't a simple issue but there you go) blieve our immune sytems have been interupted, have several theories on how or why but won't go into that.

you need to try and keep vitamin a intake low for a year or two, I am only now starting to buy into the possibility of Gamma linoleic acid deficiency once posted on this forum several years ago, I started it about a month ago and it is helping my eyes a little.... It does not cause problems like the omega 3 in flax and fish oil!

Hey lamarr,

Whats up! So you no longer take L-Car? How much GLA are you taking? What made you change your mind about the GLA man? The mepacrine is still working out, no sides, no flushing? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but its been awhile haha.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2011 8:43 am

P.s. just as an additional note, I don't believe accutane alters the telomere length, some of 'us' have had this tested for. I simply (well it isn't a simple issue but there you go) blieve our immune sytems have been interupted, have several theories on how or why but won't go into that.

you need to try and keep vitamin a intake low for a year or two, I am only now starting to buy into the possibility of Gamma linoleic acid deficiency once posted on this forum several years ago, I started it about a month ago and it is helping my eyes a little.... It does not cause problems like the omega 3 in flax and fish oil!

Hey lamarr,

Whats up! So you no longer take L-Car? How much GLA are you taking? What made you change your mind about the GLA man? The mepacrine is still working out, no sides, no flushing? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but its been awhile haha.

Yo dude, I'm doing ok man, yourself?

L-carnitine I presume you mean? I try it every now and again because the science is there but long term it doesn't seem to do alot?

I'm taking 480 mg of GLA a day from borage oil. It seems to help my eye and dryness, but i've read it can take several months for full affects so i'm giving it longer this time! Dr Chu really advocates GLA.

No sides from the mepa, I'm on half the dose I used to be on, and no, no signs whatsoever of flushing. My main problems (now that I'm working full time) is cognitive function and my ocular rosacea, i'm going at both full on at the moment and seem to be making progress...

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 05/15/2011 9:34 am

Indigo- I told you a long time ago to stop the Omega 3...Lamarr is right is not good for accutane suffers.

Lamarr- Long time my friend, glad to see things are still going good. What are you doing for the cognitive function? Just wondering as I know I have had some minor issues.

Seattle- I still think you should try the L-Car as it may help the muscle pain issues, It may or may not help, but worth a try!

Anybody know how Sheefa is doing?

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2011 10:07 am

Indigo- I told you a long time ago to stop the Omega 3...Lamarr is right is not good for accutane suffers.

Lamarr- Long time my friend, glad to see things are still going good. What are you doing for the cognitive function? Just wondering as I know I have had some minor issues.

Seattle- I still think you should try the L-Car as it may help the muscle pain issues, It may or may not help, but worth a try!

Hi Oli Girl,

Good to see your still around!

It is called piracetam, no sides ever reported from anyone even at massive dosages (other than headache when dose is too high and not taken with choline). I take 2400-4800mg a day, along with a few hundred mg's of choline (b vitamin) with my morning dose. It really helps memory and speech, I bet you all have trouble recalling words/information at times since you took tane? someone mentioned it to me via email and i'm very glad I decided to try it!

It takes about a month for noticable affects and many people (non accutane sufferers) state that the affects actually stay with them after they disscontinue.

Look it up and make your own decision! When I saw the list of dissorders it's been known to help with I knew I had to try it as they list things such as raynaud's.

Many people have used it to recover from anti depressant mental problems as well.

MemberMember
(@vanceastro)

Posted : 05/15/2011 10:35 am

Anyway PLEAsE stop the omega 3 immediately, fish oils and cod liver oil is toxic to us post tane!

ajab561 liked
MemberMember
(@indigorush)

Posted : 05/15/2011 10:37 am

I think I recall, but I want to know why...

Many people advise to TAKE Omega 3, or whatever fish oil.

I'm not sure it was making things worse... so in what way are you saying it's bad? Is it meant to contain vitamin A or something?

MemberMember
(@vanceastro)

Posted : 05/15/2011 10:45 am

IndigoRush said:

I'm not sure it was making things worse... so in what way are you saying it's bad? Is it meant to contain vitamin A or something?

Omega-3 intake is suggested in many isotretinoin studies [especially Omega-3 fish oil with vitamin E]. Apart from many others [scientifically proven] benefits, EPA/DHA acids [found in omega-3] can reduce joint pain caused by isotretinoin.

Omega-3 Fish oil can also lower cholesterol increased by isotretinoin intake:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2954894

Cod liver oil is a different story. You obviously shouldn't take Cod liver oil that contains vitamin A.

It seems that Lamar don't know the difference between EPA/DHA omega 3 fish oil and cod liver oil rich in vitamin A.

Bonus: [Edited link out]

ajab561 liked
MemberMember
(@indigorush)

Posted : 05/15/2011 11:05 am

VanceAstro said:
IndigoRush said:

Omega-3 intake is suggested in many isotretinoin studies [especially Omega-3 fish oil with vitamin E]. Apart from many others [scientifically proven] benefits, EPA/DHA acids [found in omega-3] can reduce joint pain caused by isotretinoin.

Omega-3 Fish oil can also lower cholesterol increased by isotretinoin intake:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2954894

Cod liver oil is a different story. You obviously shouldn't take Cod liver oil that contains vitamin A.

It seems that Lamar don't know the difference between EPA/DHA omega 3 fish oil and cod liver oil rich in vitamin A.

Bonus: [Edited link out]

Thank you.

Lamaar, any arguments as to why Omega 3 would be bad?

It seems to be recommended for a lot of problems (joints, hair, skin)

MemberMember
(@fredjones)

Posted : 05/15/2011 5:21 pm

you can't just say 'dont' take omega 3 pills trust me' and not give any reasons why...smh

i talked to my derm about it and he said fish oil pills are fine, just don't take it at the same time as accutane pills cause it'll flush it away and the accutane pills won't do anything or something like that so take it another time of the day

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2011 6:16 pm

Right I will say this once as I have repeated it to many times on here over the years....there is a trend amongst accutane side effect sufferers, which shows that omega 3's make potentially all side affects caused by tane worse, not only that I have seen it cause more sides to appear in people (myself Included).

Why is that? Truthfull answer is FUCK know's (do you think doctors can give you the answers in regards to your accutane side affects? NO) we (the human race) are amatures when it comes to understanding the inate functions of the human body, so when one of you guys spew out some websites info (or even a peer reviewed journal)....don't think that means anymore than what I have just said, coz it don't mean a thing! especially when it comes to dealing with accutane side affects.

I'm sure a number of people on these boards are willing to back me in regards to my dealing with accutane side effects, I can give you better answers than any doctor out there, even down to the science behind things.

We do know that omega 3 and vitamin A are closely related in many ways and likely interact with each other, those of us who have been poisend by tane tend to have abnormal reactions to Vitamin a in the same way....

What i'm telling you is for YOUR benefit. I learn't the hard way and once thought the same way you did...

As I said in my last post I use to frequent the accutane action forum and this is where the trend was first spotted. Bare in mind the action forum was around since the early 90s....all of this was found through trial and error over the past few decades.

girlie liked
MemberMember
(@sanadai)

Posted : 05/16/2011 2:37 am

After stopping a 3 month 40mg Accutane course for a month and a half i still suffer from thin skin, poor eyesight and of course hair loss. All these side effects are affecting me to the point where i think of myself as a monster, i wish i could just disappear from this planet. I want to drop out of school when i only have 5 weeks left until i graduate from high school, what a great senior year huh?

Well anyways, i just want to get to know you guys since you all probably have the same symptoms as me. I'm turning 18 in July and i dont see a bright future ahead of me, it also hurts me to see the pain im putting my mom through to see me like this.

I hope we can all figure out something that can help us.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/16/2011 3:46 am

Sanadai, don't drop out of school over this stuff. I feel for you, given you have some side effects, but, given what you said, you should be able to function and proceed at school. You don't have severe lethargy, cognitive malfunction, depression, anxiety or crippling joint pain. I think you should see someone about the diminished vision, however.

MemberMember
(@futurescarless)

Posted : 05/16/2011 6:53 am

I didn't read any of the replies to your thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but please do yourself a favor and see a Naturopath. They will take most of the 'guess' work out for you. Google Naturopath (or better yet, Wiki Naturopath) if you don't know what I'm talking about. They will check your body thoroughly and put you on a plan into getting healthy through vitamins, supplements, herbal medicines etc. I wouldn't believe in going to a modern (synthetic) medicine doctor for your issues. They will most likely put you on drugs that will further mess your system up.

Edit // Okay, yeah, I read the whole thread and my suggestion to see a Naturopath still stands. And as for the Omega-3, as Lamarr said, it supposedly acts like Accutane in some ways. So basically, your body doesn't need it because it has already had enough! I've also read that Omega-3 holds Accutane in your body even longer. It has been quite awhile since you've stopped Accutane, so I wouldn't worry about that last part, but your body is obviously still out of whack from it. Take an Omega-6 (like Borage Oil, or Primrose Evening Oil might be better) instead.

MemberMember
(@iryry)

Posted : 05/16/2011 7:58 am

I'm also looking into bowel/liver cleasing.

It's a good idea.

I know to do it properly you should withdraw from bad foods (like milk, bread, sugar, alcohol) for about a week... But I'm not sure I can go a week without cakes and what-not.

If I knew you had to do it just the once, obviously I'd do it.

For now though, I think I'm doing my liver some good with the milk thistle and dandelion root extract. I ordered the supplement you said about... 'Calcium D-Glucarate', though I'm not sure it'll really work as surely within 5 years my body would've elminated the toxins... But we'll see. You started with it yet?

No, I can't find it in stores. I'll have to order it.

Some people say they have high vitamin A even years after Accutane, so perhaps some of it stays in your liver. Your liver does store excess vitamin A when it can. Maybe this is why some get the long term side effects, their liver absorbs it, for some reason it can't get rid of it fast enough so it just continues to be deactivated and reactivated through the process of glucuronidation and beta-glucoronidase.

I've noticed something. When I take a tablespoon of olive oil, the next few days are hell and it's like I'm reliving Accutane. My bones begin to ache more, hair falls out more, and my skin begins to shed like crazy. I think it's because, when you consume a good amount of fat you gallblader will release your bile which contains all the toxins into your bowels, and then some of it is excreted while some is reabsorbed causing the side effects to reoccur.

Interesting. Why would you take a tablespoon of olive oil? I've heard you can do that as part of a detox. I feel terrible at the moment :(

Well yeahs it's supposedly good for detox. But I suppose I need to detox a bit slower. Do you feel terrible because you took olive oil?

I'm doing a liver flush tomorrow.

I've never tried olive oil.. But I imagine it'd be the same for me.

I've heard some people, on another site, have some success with liver flushing and one mentioned it make all his symptoms come back for a while.. Maybe you have to go through hell before the good stuff. Having said that, I feel so low energy a lot of the time, I can't seem to help reaching for bad food.

When you do the liver flushing do you cut out all bad food (bread/milk/sugar/alcohol)?

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp

It's a 2-day process. I'm not sure of its real effectiveness, but many people praise it. Basically, you fast for a bit, and clean out your bowels, then take olive oil which stimulates your gallbladder to excrete all its bile (which contains toxins from your liver), it enters your bowel, and you clean out your bowel once more. I've done another cleanse type thing called a salt flush which is much less invasive.

Here are my conditions as of now:

- Hairloss/thinning (includes eyebrows)

- Blurred vision

- Red/Dry eyes

- Very dry flaky skin

- Back/Joint/Muscle pains

- Osteoporosis

- Thickening of the skull

- Cranial pressure

- Brain fog

- Veins on eyelids and under eyes (weird)

- Lethargy, extreme fatigue

- Lowered Libido

- Genital pigmentation lightened

- Numbness feeling in genitals

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/16/2011 5:54 pm

P.s. this is why I don't hang around these boards anymore....I and others who have experienced side effects post tane have learn't how our bodies respond to particular supplements, I was advising you that MANY people in the same boat as 'us' experience a worsening or completely new side affects when taking omega 3's.

I took the shit 5 years ago so I know how my body reacts to many substances since I ingested it. Others have had over 20 years so you can either listen to studies based on the general population or take the advice of people who are in the same boat as you.

Knock yourselves out if you don't want to listen and there will always be people who think they know better.

Gladiatoro and girlie liked
MemberMember
(@sanadai)

Posted : 05/16/2011 10:17 pm

Sanadai, don't drop out of school over this stuff. I feel for you, given you have some side effects, but, given what you said, you should be able to function and proceed at school. You don't have severe lethargy, cognitive malfunction, depression, anxiety or crippling joint pain. I think you should see someone about the diminished vision, however.

I do have depression, and probably OCD as well. I started suffering from depression since September when my face broke out with cysts, people would ask me what happened to me and such. However i didnt snap until i started to lose hair, and ive been forcing myself to go to school everyday and its becoming unbearable. Trust me, i tried my best in doing what i can do :(

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/17/2011 3:11 am

I do have depression, and probably OCD as well. I started suffering from depression since September when my face broke out with cysts, people would ask me what happened to me and such. However i didnt snap until i started to lose hair, and ive been forcing myself to go to school everyday and its becoming unbearable. Trust me, i tried my best in doing what i can do :(

Buddy, I was trying to say that it didn't sound like you have depression, fatigue, anxiety from retinoid therapy. If you have those problems due to acne, well then, that is fair enough. My point was and still is, that if accutane itself has NOT rendered you inoperative, then you should stick with school. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 05/18/2011 7:25 am

Simple, just listen to what your body is telling you (not anyone else). If it works for you and makes you feel better, continue to take it. And if it makes you feel worst, come off it. Everyone is different. What works for Mikkael may not works for Heinrich, and may in fact causes Heinrich even more problems. And when that happens to Heinrich, who should he blame?

MemberMember
(@seattle-jt)

Posted : 05/21/2011 1:13 pm

P.s. this is why I don't hang around these boards anymore....I and others who have experienced side effects post tane have learn't how our bodies respond to particular supplements, I was advising you that MANY people in the same boat as 'us' experience a worsening or completely new side affects when taking omega 3's.

I took the shit 5 years ago so I know how my body reacts to many substances since I ingested it. Others have had over 20 years so you can either listen to studies based on the general population or take the advice of people who are in the same boat as you.

Knock yourselves out if you don't want to listen and there will always be people who think they know better.

I agree with Lamarr on this as Omega 3 supplementation was just making things worse for me. I know that you wanted scientific evidence to back that up, but unfortunately you will find very little scientific evidence on the post accutane side effects overall so I can't provide any. The dermatologist that gave me tane straight up denied that accutane could cause my flushing when i came back complaining about it despite the fact that six months prior I had never flushed in my life. Trust me man. If I didn't have to do all of my own research on trying to heal the damage that accutane caused I wouldn't. I would much prefer going to a doctor and getting a standard treatment, but there aren't any and the vast majority of doctors don't have any idea how to treat post accutane sufferers. If you strongly believe that it will help you then go ahead and give it a go. Who knows. Maybe your side effects are caused by a different reason than mine. I really can't say. I would just say to be careful and to stop if things get worse.

MemberMember
(@seattle-jt)

Posted : 05/21/2011 1:58 pm

Yo dude, I'm doing ok man, yourself?

L-carnitine I presume you mean? I try it every now and again because the science is there but long term it doesn't seem to do alot?

I'm taking 480 mg of GLA a day from borage oil. It seems to help my eye and dryness, but i've read it can take several months for full affects so i'm giving it longer this time! Dr Chu really advocates GLA.

No sides from the mepa, I'm on half the dose I used to be on, and no, no signs whatsoever of flushing. My main problems (now that I'm working full time) is cognitive function and my ocular rosacea, i'm going at both full on at the moment and seem to be making progress...

Meh I'm OK I guess haha. Still have the flushing and joint/muscle issues. Within the last year or so I have developed daily headaches too which sucks, but overall I'm surviving. Glad to hear that mepacrine is still working out for you. Do you plan on staying at that dose long term or continue to ween yourself off it?

I'm going to start either L-Car or GLA soon and I was just wondering what dosage you were using for L-Car when you take it? Also, what brand is that borage oil that you take?

Thanks again

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 05/22/2011 4:58 am

Obviously the thread starter only hear what he wants to hear. So if he has decide what he wants to take or do then just let him be. It is his life and body anyway. Engaging in an arguement regarding someone else's life is a waste of time. And being angry during the confrontation make you look haggard because of the unnecessary stress involved.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 05/27/2011 11:31 pm

One of the reason for No OMEGA 3 is the fact that Omega-3 fats and other moulecules bind to Vitamin A receptors. Same as Vitamin D is also the most important partnership with Vit A and Omega's.

Retinoids, Vit A, Vit D, Thyroid hormones is in a group called the steroid family. This family is known for developing partnerships w/other hormones (such as growth hormones) They all bind to nuclear receptors, meaning they have acess to the nucleus, where they influence gene expression.

When you have either Vit A or Vit D it almost always does so in partnership with Vit A receptor, which binds vitamin A or the omega-3 fatty acid DHA. In the nucleus of the cell, it sits as judge and jury, deciding which genes are turned on and which are turned off. Vit D and its partners Vit A and DHA (omega 3) are conducting the orchestra.

(book written by James E. Dowd, M.D. from Mi Arthritis Institute)

So in a normal person who hasn't been damaged by accutane, receptors haven't been damaged or genes haven't been altered it would be okay, but for thoose like me it is not.

Numerous Post Accutane Suffers Do Not React Well to Omega 3's! I myself eat salmon and am okay, but other foods high in omega 3 make my symptoms worse, just like many Vit A enriched foods.

As for Omega 6 my Rhuem acutally told me that I could take either GLA (omega 6) in a high dose or a anti malaria, or mix of both.....High dose of GLA is very benifical in people with Rhuematoid Arthritis and has shown to decrease inflamation.

If you are looking for help we can try and give you the knowledge that from our research, studies and knowledge from our own experince. Not trying to be rude, but you come asking for help, If your taking Omega 3 right now and not doing any better, it won't hurt to stop!

I myself was on death's bed from accutane and acutally almost died (not from depression or suicide reasons either)...Thanks to other suffers including that of Lamarr I am in a much better place then almost 3 yrs ago!

Oh and thanks Lamarr on the tip for the supplement on memory! Will try you bet and having a teenager doesn't help with having lack memory she tends to get away with too much lol

jnektar and Kleintje liked