Notifications
Clear all

My lips broke out and were swollen because of lip gloss!

MemberMember
(@susie-c)

Posted : 03/24/2011 9:39 pm

I just wanted to warn people that probably because of being on accutane... My lips had a severe allergic reaction caused by a couple of new lip glosses I tried. I finally figured it out. Im not completely sure which product it is, but I narrowed it down to Jane ire dale lip fixatiion, mentha lip tint by bath and body works, or dans cortibalm.

I'm not using any of them any more. Has anybody else had this similar experience with any of these lip products? The little pimples on my lips and swelling were very scary, and even my tounge felt weird. I'm just glad it's the lipgloss and not the accutane.

MemberMember
(@sima)

Posted : 03/24/2011 9:44 pm

Pimples actually on your lips?! Wow. That is insane. I've never heard of anything like that. I would not think that you could get acne on your lips since they don't have any pores. Do you mean around your lips or actually on the lips themselves? I am actually kind of shocked. I used cocoa butter for my lips, so I did not encounter any swelling.

MemberMember
(@susie-c)

Posted : 03/24/2011 11:09 pm

I would call it more like a rash...tiny little bumps...not noticeable unless close up. At first I was afraid they were cold sores....but I never had that in my life, plus they went away...but then they reappeared after applying lip gloss... So I removed all lip gloss and replaced it with my normal aquaphor. I'm praying I figured it out. Is coco butter better than aquaphor? What kind did u use? Who new taking care of my lips would turn into a full time job....I really want to figure out what ingredient did this.

MemberMember
(@sima)

Posted : 03/24/2011 11:40 pm

that is freaky. i guess your lips are extremely intolerant to those fancy lipglosses. the cocoa butter that i use is Palmers Cocoa Butter that comes in a swivel stick. mine was about 2 dollars. it is not as waxy as aquaphor is and gives a nice sheen to your lips. it smells heavenly! lol :) you can check out the product here. my lips got so bad during accutane. they were peeling off in layers and were so painful. the cocoa butter works really well for me. also, it does not have a petroleum base in it so you can't put 'too much' on. you know how with aquaphor or vaseline you have to use just a little bit or it will build up and feel really gross? that doesn't happen with the cocoa butter.

MemberMember
(@pocket)

Posted : 03/25/2011 1:12 am

I just wanted to warn people that probably because of being on accutane... My lips had a severe allergic reaction caused by a couple of new lip glosses I tried. I finally figured it out. Im not completely sure which product it is, but I narrowed it down to Jane ire dale lip fixatiion, mentha lip tint by bath and body works, or dans cortibalm.

I'm not using any of them any more. Has anybody else had this similar experience with any of these lip products? The little pimples on my lips and swelling were very scary, and even my tounge felt weird. I'm just glad it's the lipgloss and not the accutane.

I know Menthol can be very irritating but if it's Dr. Dans cortibalm then i'm so sorry for suggesting it to you! =/ I have been using it and i love it. Amazons description made it sound like a dream. Today is my first day so i hope it doesn't give me a reaction. I'm so sorry and hope your lips heal soon. Goodluck <3

MemberMember
(@alwayssunny)

Posted : 03/25/2011 7:23 am

I wouldn't say "beware". If it was an allergic reaction, the Accutane had nothing to do with it.

I used to be an CO Bigelow ultra mentha lip gloss addict. (the Bath and Body Works stuff) I had to quit a month or so into Accutane because the mint was SO HARSH on my lips. They would burn and burn and burn. I switch to Clinique's Black Honey Superbalm and it has been AMAZING. It's non-irritating for me. It looks really dark in the tube but it's not. I'm super pale and it gives me just a hint of color.

MemberMember
(@susie-c)

Posted : 03/25/2011 8:53 am

Courtney...no worries, my pharmacist highly recommended the dr. Dans cortibalm, so I don't think it's that either,but I just happen to test that one out at the same time as the others so I can't be sure. I did some research on ingredients, limonene, lanoline, and any lip plumping ingredients could be the culprit.

I was just so terrified that I was developing cold sores...that I freaked. I'm so glad I just have chapped lips. The weird thing is befor accutane, I could put anything on my lips so clearly, they are vulnerable.

I can't wait to read your log!! I think I've been looking forward to you getting on these meds as much as u!

MemberMember
(@susie-c)

Posted : 03/25/2011 8:59 am

Hi Alwayssunny!

You're so right, I edited out beware, because I don't want to scare people off of accutane, thanks. Im trying to help anybody I can so they can learn from my experience.

The bath and body works gloss must be it then, because it had the menthol...it's too bad because I loved the tint in it. Maybe I'll look at the clinique your talking about because i really want to wear more than aquaphor, but blistered lips are not a good look for me...lol

MemberMember
(@cdnguy)

Posted : 03/25/2011 10:00 am

A lot of lipglosses have lip-plumping ingredients for the "Angelina Jolie" effect. They can cause allergic reactions.

I just use plain old Vaseline. Nothing added. No colours or special ingredients. My dermatologist even recommended it to me while I was on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@alwayssunny)

Posted : 03/25/2011 1:26 pm

Maybe I'll look at the clinique your talking about because i really want to wear more than aquaphor, but blistered lips are not a good look for me...lol

If you do, the one I mentioned is a Sephora exclusive (which can be a pain if you don't have one where you live). They sell it in the stores and on the website, but you can't pick it up at the Clinique counters at the mall.

RE: Vaseline, I tried that but for me personally it burns my lips. It doesn't burn them as badly as the mint stuff but I did experience burning. I tried some variety of Burts Bees but it smelled like baby powder -- gag.

MemberMember
(@susie-c)

Posted : 03/25/2011 3:33 pm

Thanks, I think I'll order it, hopefully Im not allergic to everything now. My lips are still bothering me, and all I have on is aquzohor! If this continues, I may have to assume it's related to the accutane, and I'm praying I'm not allergic to it. Vaseline is petroleum,right? I think aquaphor is too. I never imagined this would be my detrimental side effect.

Thanks everybody for your support!

MemberMember
(@niecy16)

Posted : 08/21/2021 9:55 pm

On 3/24/2011 at 7:39 PM, Susie C said:

I had an allergic reaction to the me that lip shine. I got a blister on the inside of my lip that would not go away. My dentist and oral surgeon said they have never seen anything like this before. It came when I started using the lip shine and went a way when I stopped using it months later.