Notifications
Clear all

Spirolactone and Demulen Birth Control Pill

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 07/16/2004 12:31 am

Hi,

Today I was just prescribed 100 mg of Spirolactone and then a high doseof the estrogen pill Demulen. Lately I've only been breaking out on my jawline and chin area and am already on Ortho TriCyclen, Mino, Tazorac, and Benzaclin. Just curious if anyone has had any previous luck switching to this type of hormonal treatment.

Thanks,

Rae

MemberMember
(@pankins)

Posted : 07/16/2004 9:47 am

I have been taking 150 mg of spironolactone for about 3 1/2 months now and my skin is completely clear. I used to have extremely oily skin with very mild acne (mainly just broke out around the time of my period and a few odd ones here and there), but I am 30 and wanted to be free of acne completely. I have never been happier with my skin. I do not take a birthcontrol pill along with the spiro because I am breastfeeding, but the reason they prescribe the BC pill w/the spiro is because the spiro with cause your periods to become irregular. I had a period my first month on it, but since then I have yet to. I will probably get on a BC pill after my son is done breastfeeding, but for now I am just continuing on with the spiro...period or not. smile.gif The spiro started clearing up my skin/oil within a week.

MemberMember
(@raerae)

Posted : 07/16/2004 3:44 pm

Pankins,

Thanks so much for the encouraging post. I am 22 and am ready to get rid of this acne once and for all. I just took my first pill today and am hoping that in a few months acne and oil will no longer be an issue for me. I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for years and my doctor said the mainly estrogen Demulen will clear my skin very quickly. Maybe this combination will finally be the answer.

Thanks,

Rae

MemberMember
(@sgala3)

Posted : 12/25/2014 3:37 pm

HEY I'm on 150mg spironolactone and Yaz birthcontrol for a year now and it has cleared my skin but now I'm wanting to get off birthcontrol and stay on spironolactone , do you think I will still stay clear of acne while transitioning off Yaz and staying on spironolactone ?? DOES ANYONE KNOW? Or has had a successful story while staying on spiro and getting of Birth control ? please and thank you