Notifications
Clear all

Skin thinning and Dark under-eye circles

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 03/19/2009 4:45 am

Hi, guys.

I'm on a 10-month, 10mg daily course (I'm due to end in June). I've noticed throughout my course that my skin has gotten reaaally sensitive, which I guessed was due to the fact that Accutane thins the skin, etc etc. (I also suppose that's the reason we burn so easily and why we can't wax our skin on Tane?) More worryingly, the skin under and around my eyes has thinned a ton and is really, really dark and see-through. Without concealer, I look so haggard and exhausted. My eyes are also really bloodshot (another Tane side effect, from what I hear).

I've heard of other people getting thinned, sensitive skin and dark under-eye circles on Tane, but I'm really curious how long this side effect lasts. How long does it take for the thinned skin to become less sensitive and return to normal?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 03/19/2009 3:50 pm

The dark eyes and skin sensitivity is in part due to skin thinning, but that isn't the only reason. I know you had rosacea before you started tane, but i remember telling you not to take it (doesn't matter now). But what is happening is that the inflammation around the cappilaries on your face, your now getting it in and around your eyes. Which causes the small vessels under the delicate skin of the eye to become more pronounced.

The main cause of dark circles is blood pooling, which is essentially when the blood vessels become damaged and blood sits in them, this through the thin eye skin makes them look dark.

I took tane, it did the same thing to me. Two years ago and it hasn't improved much. I also got big blue veins pop up under my eyes. These can't even be treated by laser safely. I have since been on a drug which is used to treate lupus and my flushing and many other side effects are gone. I still have dark circles though.

i know you are taking grapeseed because i read the rosacea forum. Keep taking that and look into home light therapy when your tane course is over. Should help heal the vessels some and thicken the skin.

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 03/19/2009 8:45 pm

The dark eyes and skin sensitivity is in part due to skin thinning, but that isn't the only reason. I know you had rosacea before you started tane, but i remember telling you not to take it (doesn't matter now). But what is happening is that the inflammation around the cappilaries on your face, your now getting it in and around your eyes. Which causes the small vessels under the delicate skin of the eye to become more pronounced.

The main cause of dark circles is blood pooling, which is essentially when the blood vessels become damaged and blood sits in them, this through the thin eye skin makes them look dark.

I took tane, it did the same thing to me. Two years ago and it hasn't improved much. I also got big blue veins pop up under my eyes. These can't even be treated by laser safely. I have since been on a drug which is used to treate lupus and my flushing and many other side effects are gone. I still have dark circles though.

i know you are taking grapeseed because i read the rosacea forum. Keep taking that and look into home light therapy when your tane course is over. Should help heal the vessels some and thicken the skin.

Thanks for the reply, Lamarr. I hope your treatments are going well!

I'm curious how my Rosacea could cause visible capillaries around the eyes? I know visible capillaries can appear in areas where you flush alot, since the veins weaken. But how would they appear under the eyes, where you can't flush? Also, if it's due to Rosacea, why don't other people with bad Rosacea get darkened under-eyes?

I've always been able to see a few blue veins in that area, so it's always been darker than the norm, so perhaps I'm just more susceptible to them. I'll see how they shape up when I'm off Tane, and if they don't improve, I will likely look into treatments.

ETA: One more quick question - Can home light therapy be safely done while on Accutane? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@crd)

Posted : 03/20/2009 6:44 am

Same here, dark rings around my eyes. Looks like i havn't slept for weeks, and I've had at least 5 people asking me how much i sleep. I finnished accutane about 3 weeks ago, hopefully it will disappear. ;)

MemberMember
(@savedbygrace1)

Posted : 01/13/2012 2:01 pm

Same here, dark rings around my eyes. Looks like i havn't slept for weeks, and I've had at least 5 people asking me how much i sleep. I finnished accutane about 3 weeks ago, hopefully it will disappear. wink.gif

Hello there, any updates on the under eye status...this is becoming a concer for me.

MemberMember
(@crd)

Posted : 01/18/2012 10:57 pm

Hi, i guess it is a bit better... but unfortunately not much :(

MemberMember
(@ziiish)

Posted : 08/13/2015 8:08 pm

I know this is an old thread but has any of you seen improvements over the years after you stopped the treatment? If not,have you done any treatments to fix this issue?

I've always had visible veins under the eyes and I'm on my last month of my Accutane. Veins look more pronounced and my under eyes look much darker.

I would really appreciate any replies.

MemberMember
(@yamileth)

Posted : 06/24/2017 8:17 pm

Dermalmd's serum is a really good cream for moms to reduce dark circles and Puffiness. i have dark circles , which hunt me day and night. googled all the products and I come across this amazing product which fulfill my requirement.this product actually lighten my under eye and I too apply on my skin which make my skin glow and feel skin soft. I must say two in one product with effective result.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 06/25/2017 3:11 am

Just a drop of pure almond oil around the eyes before going to bed. Works better than anything.