Notifications
Clear all

Minocycline side effect: depersonalization

MemberMember
(@mischa)

Posted : 01/27/2009 9:36 pm

I've been taking Minocycline for 8 days now, and pretty much the whole time have been experiencing depersonalization ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization ). It's heavy stuff, and I feel totally weird and different. However, my skin is totally clearing (I was in the middle of a hellacious breakout when I started). and acne was/is a considerable stressor in my life.

So basically, I'm wondering if this feeling normally fades, or if it's a serious side effect and I should go off the mino at once (I will be seeing my derm in 2 weeks). I really want to feel like myself again, but I also am wanting to keep the clearing skin.

Thanks for any advice-

MemberMember
(@severalwolves)

Posted : 02/10/2009 12:00 am

i was on mino for a month this summer and i experienced the same thing.

the first two weeks were the worst. i would invountarily zone out, couldn't concentrate even on simple conversations, etc. my body got used to it after that initial period, but it still screwed with my moods and, although the depersonalizing effect diminished, it exacerbated my depression. those first two weeks though-- i would cry and freak out but i kept telling myself that being clear was worth it, which it isn't, but i stuck with it for that reason...

then my derm put me on bactrim, and i haven't noticed any bizarre psychological effects !

MemberMember
(@acnehaterss)

Posted : 02/10/2009 12:44 pm

i was on mino for a month this summer and i experienced the same thing.

the first two weeks were the worst. i would invountarily zone out, couldn't concentrate even on simple conversations, etc. my body got used to it after that initial period, but it still screwed with my moods and, although the depersonalizing effect diminished, it exacerbated my depression. those first two weeks though-- i would cry and freak out but i kept telling myself that being clear was worth it, which it isn't, but i stuck with it for that reason...

then my derm put me on bactrim, and i haven't noticed any bizarre psychological effects !

does the bactirm make you neauseas?

MemberMember
(@karen_d)

Posted : 02/10/2009 1:05 pm

I've been on mino since the beginning of january. So far no results... but no side effects either.

MemberMember
(@severalwolves)

Posted : 02/10/2009 1:11 pm

my first few days on bactrim were full of diarrhea and near-vomiting in class. i think like with any other antibiotic, yr body has to adjust to it. i started taking it with yogurt and i haven't had much of an issue since. even when i take it outside of a meal, as long as there is some sort of food in my stomach i'm fine.

MemberMember
(@hose3cu)

Posted : 04/21/2009 4:43 pm

In January 2009, I took Solodyn for approximately 3 weeks. During my anti-biotic therapy and for several weeks thereafter, I noted that I was feeling "out-of-it". I did not tell many of my family members and friends because I could not quite understand it myself. I tried to explain it, but I could not convey it accurately. Basically, for several weeks, I saw myself going through the motions of life - ie going to work, going to real estate class, going to dance class - but I was not invested in any of those acts. Towards the middle of the therapy, I would go into the work and not do any work - even though I had stuff to do. I would just sit at my desk and close my eyes. I was having trouble amusing myself. For some time, I was completely void of any kind of emotional investment - I tried to make myself happy - go out with friends, watch movies, listen to music - but nothing worked. I was not sad - I just didn't know how to feel for anything. It was a very frightening time - I was scared that this nonchalant feeling would last forever.

The wiki description of depersonalization was EXACTLY how I felt. I hated that feeling more than anything I've ever felt.

are you still on the medication?

I've been taking Minocycline for 8 days now, and pretty much the whole time have been experiencing depersonalization ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization ). It's heavy stuff, and I feel totally weird and different. However, my skin is totally clearing (I was in the middle of a hellacious breakout when I started). and acne was/is a considerable stressor in my life.

So basically, I'm wondering if this feeling normally fades, or if it's a serious side effect and I should go off the mino at once (I will be seeing my derm in 2 weeks). I really want to feel like myself again, but I also am wanting to keep the clearing skin.

Thanks for any advice-

MemberMember
(@notacapulet)

Posted : 10/18/2011 11:52 pm

On mino for just six days and experiencing the exact same symptoms of depersonalization as described above. Doctor has since stopped the antibiotic. Odd feeling and certainly not something I'd like to live with.

MemberMember
(@lalaland90)

Posted : 10/27/2011 12:25 am

I experienced the same thing when I first started mino. along with dizziness, I couldn't even walk straight!! But after about a week or two my body got used to it and all the side effects went away.

MemberMember
(@jake1007)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:50 pm

I was taking 100 mg minocycline once a day for 19 days to treat my acne along with a topical creme called tazorac. I felt literally no side affects, but I also experienced very little improvement. So on Wednesday, January 2nd, I went to my dermotologist for a follow up and she told me to start taking the minocycline twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. So I started taking two 100 mg capsule of minocycline a day. Again, no side affects, but better results (I think the results are mainly because my derm also gave me a stronger tazorac cream). However, Monday, January 7th, on my first day back to school from winter break, I started to experience depersonalization (along with diarrhea). I was very nervous because it felt very odd. I wasn't sure what I was feeling at first, but I felt like I was in a dreamlike state. I thought I was just tired so I went home and took a nap. I felt a little better but I was still feeling a bit "out of it".

Tuesday, January 8th, on my second day back to school I felt much better but still a little out of it. I was able to concentrate much better and was able to get a lot of work done both during and after school. I looked up side effects of minocylcine and sure enough, depersonalization was listed as one of them. I then googled "minocycline depersonalization", and this was the first post that showed up. I took my last pill Tuesday morning, but I am still feeling a little out of it today. I stayed home from school because I could not for the life of me fall asleep last night and I was also having some diarrhea. I spoke to my dermotologist's assistant today and told her what I was feeling. She said she would speak to my dermotologist and get back to me.

So basically I started taking 100 mg capsules of mino once a day for 19 days (with 2 or 3 days skipped) before starting to take it twice a day for 5 days. This is now my 3rd day experiencing DP and it has gotten SLIGHTLY better. I just wanna know how long this feeling will last, because I stopped the mino as soon as I felt the effects. I've taken exactly 26 pills which is encouraging because some of you have taken it for months! Sorry about the long post, but thank you all for your help.surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 04/17/2013 1:49 am

i was on mino for 4 years and i experienced depersonalization all the time and thought it was normal. it is horrible. 3 days after i stopped mino i stopped getting it to happen. i almost kind of miss it tho haha. i would never want to space out long term but i might take mino again in the future just to feel what its like to be "out of my body" again and watch myself. it honestly made my feel like i was not responsible for what my body did. crazy shit and kinda scary like a drug.