Notifications
Clear all

Accutane's effect on sex drive

MemberMember
(@mdr8)

Posted : 02/10/2008 6:05 pm

I finished my 3rd accutane course 2 months ago. I feel like it somehow crushed my sex drive. I don't think theres any direct way to connect this to accutane but im wondering if anyone else has heard of this? I am a 21 year old male so I know it is not normal for me to have a complete lack of sexual desire. Its effecting my ability/quality of erections also. This is scaring me really bad b/c if it is related to accutane I feel like the side effect should have subsided after being off of it for 2 months. If anyone else has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@yvette2)

Posted : 02/10/2008 7:09 pm

Hey-

I'm a gal, but oh yeah, my sex drive was lower on Tane. My poor hubby! Totally a bummer, but it was okay, just had to put more effort and thought into it.

Did you ask your Derm. or GP about this? I'd think all the side effects would go away with time. Know this is a delicate issue.

Good luck.

Yvette

MemberMember
(@nvranka)

Posted : 02/11/2008 5:06 pm

well I can only use my own experiences as example, because I dont know the science behind it, BUT in my case, it definitely HAS NOT reduced my sex drive :D

MemberMember
(@hoofy)

Posted : 02/11/2008 9:58 pm

after 1 nut i'm done for the day now...could be the tane, could be the girl

MemberMember
(@nvranka)

Posted : 02/11/2008 11:30 pm

^

hahahahahaha that made me laugh.

MemberMember
(@bluray)

Posted : 04/22/2008 7:28 am

I got the same thing as you. Thought it was only me. I'm about 4 months off on tane and I'm finding (I'm not embarrassed to say) that its really tough for me to get aroused. I'm 19 so I should be humping everything that has a pulse but I have no desire to make the effort. It sucks. What can I do?

MemberMember
(@soldbylia)

Posted : 04/22/2008 8:46 am

I have been on accutane three months and it has killed mine!! I think it may have to do with how fricken tired I am all the time..but my boyfriend has been amazing about it...hopefully that special someone in your life will be understanding as well :)

MemberMember
(@stellaranne)

Posted : 04/22/2008 11:49 am

Yeah, same with me! I do think it has to do with the medicine. I swear I read something about that somewhere...I'll have to dig it up and give you the link.

Plus, Im super paranoid about getting pregnant, ya know.

MemberMember
(@mom-of-an-accutane-wreck)

Posted : 04/22/2008 1:10 pm

Here is a great link of people who have been on tane. Lots of info on side effects including decreased sex drive. http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?...p;name=ACCUTANE

you may have to type it in yourself but it is very informative.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@devendralover)

Posted : 04/22/2008 1:19 pm

I would most definately talk to my derm about the issue you are having. You are right being a 21 year old male your sex drive should be through the roof. Just ask and if it is the tane I would recommend taking a holistic approach to your acne. By the way I love Elliott Smith. I rarely meet men that admit their love for Mr. Smtih. Such a talented soul that man.

MemberMember
(@halftreesgmail-com)

Posted : 04/22/2008 4:37 pm

I find I still have a decent sex drive and everything works well but I have noticed I'm a little less horny while on accutane. I can go like 3-4 days without having sex or masturbating now and before accutane I doubt I'd be able to go 2 days.

Hah. Maybe its a good thing.

MemberMember
(@lxl-2)

Posted : 04/22/2008 9:24 pm

i did hear something about such side effect....

search around the forum and see what you can find

MemberMember
(@jew-wish)

Posted : 04/23/2008 2:04 pm

i came here to ask the same exact question! i started tane like 2 weeks ago and ive been noticing im less of a horn dog and my erections arent as impressive. (and yes, they WERE VERY impressive before)

it sucks cause what if i meet a girl. i need my A game man.

A game or crappy skin....decisions, decisions...

MemberMember
(@skinless)

Posted : 05/05/2008 12:13 am

I had such a problem when I was taking 40mg a day... wasn't able to keep an erection, didn't feel like getting busy, et cetera. I went to my physician and told him about it. Considering my age and my habits, he said it could be the drug, or it could be purely psychological.

At the same time, my dose was increased to 80mg a day, I started to focus more on suffering less stress and worrying less, and suddenly I am at it again with my girlfriend twice a day if time allows. One less thing to fret over... but it was, indeed, a huge thing to be afraid of and confused about (since I think sexual attraction was one of the major reasons I started taking this medicine to begin with anyways).

My physician also said that drinking heavily, even on weekends only, can do it for sure when combined with a stressful life. I don't drink at all, so it was the stress for me.

EDIT: However... "3rd Accutane course," sounds pretty hardcore to me. I can hardly man-up enough to continue past the halfway mark.

MemberMember
(@whitneyk)

Posted : 04/07/2019 11:43 pm

My sex drive is almost non existent since Ive been off of accutane for over 6 years. I regret ever taking the medication.