Doxycycline 100mg -...

Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline 100mg - worked for me!! totally clear skin!!

MemberMember
(@emilyxelizabeth)

Posted : 04/28/2017 10:00 am

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience as I spent about 6 months searching through this site and reading other peoples experiences and treatment options for dealing with adult acne. To sum up my situation, out of nowhere in August 2016 at the age of 26 I developed severe cystic acne, having never experience more than one of two spots with my monthly cycle my entire life. I broke up with my partner after almost 8 years, and think that may have had a massive effect on my body in general.The lumps were only concentrated around jaw and chin, which pointed to hormonal issues right away. The lumps were red, sore, and would often break through the surface of my skin on their own, leaving lots of scars and marks that were unavoidable. At the worst point, I think I had about 10-15 of these lumps which would pop up over night, and no matter what I did (changed diet, no dairy, no alcohol, started birth control etc) nothing seemed to help. Convinced it was a hormonal issue, I went to see a dermatologist and begged to be but onto spiro or Accutane, as it just seemed to be getting worse and worse each day. He recommended trying anti-biotics first, and I was so sceptical after reading many reviews on here of it not helping certain cystic acne, or actually making it worse.

Fast forward to today, almost 2 months into taking 100mg of doxycycline per day, and my skin is completely clear. I of course have hyperpigmentation and scarring across my chin, but with the help of a Clinique product which treats dark marks and scars, they are slowly but surely fading. I actually cannot believe how much it helped, almost instantly in my case. I have not had one cystic lump since I started taking it, and maybe 5-6 little white head spots since in a 2 month period, which is just so unbelievable to me, after the state my skin was in. I know everyone is different, but I cannot believe how well this has worked. And after a second appointment, I have been given the all clear to stay on these tablets for about 3-6 months, as I have had ZERO side effects. The tablets say to take an hour before or two hours after eating, but I actually take mine with my breakfast, and have never had any stomach ache or any of the side effects people on here scared the life out of me with!

Anyways just wanted to be a little light at the end of the tunnel for some people. I read so many bad reviews about almost all treatments out there for adult/cystic acne, and I wanted to share my positive experience in the hope it may one day make someone else feel better and realise that there are ways it can be fixed!!

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me!

Emily

MemberMember
(@nooknook)

Posted : 05/01/2017 6:10 am

Hi Emily,

It is so great to hear you have had success with Doxy! I have been on the treatment for almost 2 months and its working great but sadly I have had to stop my treatment today due to side effects (intense hunger and emotional disturbance).
My skin is currently completely clear also so I would be interested to see how my shorter term use of Doxy compares with results if you are going to go more long term with it.
Are you using anything else to treat your skin or following any diet?
I am on Yasmin birth control pill and have been following a strict diet until the last week where my eating relapsed due to the insane hunger!

I have also noticed my skin has scarred a lot worse on Doxy than it would normally due to the increased sensitivity to sunlight.

Anna

MemberMember
(@emilyxelizabeth)

Posted : 05/19/2017 4:44 am

hi anna! sorry for the late reply.

Yes i am still having success with Doxy, although after my most recent period i have had maybe 2 or 3 larger spots (but nothing like they used to be) and i am starting to fear that maybe my body is getting used to the tablets? anyways - i shall see how that goes! i am really sorry to hear you have been experiencing problems with the side effects of the drug, i am very fortunate from what i read online that i havent experience anything negative yet, although i think i am probably eating more in fear of having an upset stomach, so maybe gained a few pounds, but thats not a problem as i am fairly thin to begin with!

I am also on yasmin birth control, which i started around a month before doxy, so i think the two may be working together to help deal with the cycstic acne. as i say, i am apprehensive that once i stop taking doxy, or once my body becomes used to the dosage, that my acne may come back. but having never experienced acne before i am hoping this is a one off break out issue, and that now my skin has almost gone back to normal that it may never come back!

Either way - i am going to continue with the doxy tablets for at least 6 months, and slowly lower my dose across the week so i dont stop cold turkey, as i have read that can cause a huge post-doxy breakout! i am hoping that after such a lengthy spell on the drugs my body will have got rid of whatever bacteria caused the break out last summer.

I agree with you - i feel like any left over scars i have (really only on either side of my chin that are an issue) are fading very very slowly, and i am using a clinique hyperpigmentation and dark spot lotion each morning and night which is meant to lighten dark marks, but not sure if this is working so well due to doxy. will keep you updated on my progress! i will probably finish the tablets in around august time - so heres hoping we both have clear skin then!!

If you have any more questions then feel free to message back and forth - its nice to have someone in the similar situation to chat to!

Emily