Notifications
Clear all

Worst skin I've ever had and at 25 years old

MemberMember
(@jessj)

Posted : 07/01/2016 7:50 pm

Hey, everyone,

Not sure if I'm alone on this but I've never had terrible skin issues--a breakout here and there with my slightly oily skin--but within the last year, I turned 25 and my skin is the worst it's ever been. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing. As much as you don't want it to get to you, it's all you see in the mirror. Also, I'm trying to use more natural products (I use Shea Moisture Black African Soap) and wondering if anyone else has any natural alternatives. Thanks.

Jess

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/03/2016 3:09 pm

Nope you're certainly NOT alone. Most detmalotogists treat more women for acne in their 30s than kids in their teens. I honestly think the majority of it is our hormones are messed up from various causes ( toxins, pollution, fake estrogens in plastic, hormones in food, etc).
Some natural things to try
wash your face with ground oatmeal
try natural oils good for acne ( been, argan, sea buckthorn, rosehip, moringa, you just have to see which one works).
Green tea of turmeric masks
Cut possible triggers out of your diet like dairy, wheat, sugar etc and see if it helps. Try cod liver oil, spearmint tea, vitamin b 5 and biotin.
Cut out coffee and see also.
Read the diet and holistic section, many different ideas on there.

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 07/04/2016 3:57 am

Hi!
I had light/mild acne as a teenager, mostly comedones. Face started getting a lot worse in my 20s. At around 23/24 on top of that I started getting cysts that I'm still dealing with at 26. So, no, you're not alone. It IS frustrating, we all know that feeling. "This shouldn't be happening".
At the moment I'm alsousing Black african soap (by nubian heritage) twice a day to wash away the sweat, the oil and the concealer. Don't know if it helps acne much, I'm guessing not. Manuka honey seemed to work very well topically but was too expensive to continue using it long-term. It might have been the placebo effect, though, because I had heard so much good stuff about it that I was literally psyched when it got delivered.
As snarkygirl suggested, explore thediet and holistic sectionof the forum. Just try not to get overwhelmed by all the different opinions. Try elimination diets, see how they work for you.
Honestly, I believe stress affects us a lot. Has your life been more stressful recently?

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/04/2016 7:07 am

I have to say I'm probably the most stress free I've been in my life but I'm still getting hit with cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/04/2016 7:18 am

Acne is a beast that is sometimes no respecter of our efforts. Some of the most healthiest people on this board that i know, still struggle despite the life changes. With that in mind, the following things may help:

• do your research and if youare going to make changes, do one at a time and stick to it (think months not weeks). I also don't recommend doing everything at once as that can stress you and your body out more.
  • take all advice with a grain of salt. My biggest pitfall was thinking every suggestion was the cure! I was disappointed every time and fell into deeper depression due to those unrealistic expectations
  • Know that what works for someone may or may not work for you
  • Approach acne as a way to be overall healthier emotionally and physically
  • Be patient
  • Give yourself credit for sharing your struggles with the world
  • Cry if you must
  • Laugh a lot

Hopefully this helps you somewhat. We've all been there and some of us are still there. Heads high hun.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/04/2016 8:45 am

1 hour ago, invisiblenetrix said:

I have to say I'm probably the most stress free I've been in my life but I'm still getting hit with cystic acne.

but, don't you get stressed about acne? Its been one of THE biggest stressors in my life :(

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:

Acne is a beast that is sometimes no respecter of our efforts.  Some of the most healthiest people on this board that i know, still struggle despite the life changes.  With that in mind, the following things may help:

• do your research and if you are going to make changes, do one at a time and stick to it (think months not weeks).  I also don't recommend doing everything at once as that can stress you and your body out more.
  • take all advice with a grain of salt.  My biggest pitfall was thinking every suggestion was the cure!  I was disappointed every time and fell into deeper depression due to those unrealistic expectations
  • Know that what works for someone may or may not work for you
  • Approach acne as a way to be overall healthier emotionally and physically
  • Be patient
  • Give yourself credit for sharing your struggles with the world
  • Cry if you must
  • Laugh a lot

Hopefully this helps you somewhat.  We've all been there and some of us are still there.  Heads high hun.  

and may I add, don't expect perfection. I once had the mindset that unless I had perfect skin with 0 acne, life wasn't worth living. And it really wasn't with that attitude...!

MemberMember
(@nogivingup1207)

Posted : 07/04/2016 9:02 am

My Acne Started when I turned 22 precisely after I popped in an I-Pill. The one night contraceptive pill. Since then I loathed the way my skin looked.
Turmeric mask works wonders and clears up my acne but the monsters are back when I am not regular and I can't be because I go to office and the mask stains.
Please help me if you guys know of food that kill skin bacteria

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/04/2016 9:14 am

10 minutes ago, NoGivingUp1207 said:

My Acne Started when I turned 22 precisely after I popped in an I-Pill. The one night contraceptive pill. Since then I loathed the way my skin looked.
Turmeric mask works wonders and clears up my acne but the monsters are back when I am not regular and I can't be because I go to office and the mask stains.
Please help me if you guys know of food that kill skin bacteria

Garlic, turmeric( orally) caprylic acid from coconut oil, green tea and cod liver oil are said to help. Garlic kills bacteria, fungus, viruses, pretty much everything( vampires! Lol) I don't like it much but I take the tablets.

MemberMember
(@jessj)

Posted : 07/13/2016 10:19 pm

Thanks, everyone! It's frustrating but just keep swimming. I've tried coconut oil and it really seemed to hurt more than help. I might try some other oils...one at a time, of course.

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 07/29/2016 12:05 am

You're definitely not alone. My major cystic acne struggles started when I was 27 years old. I'm 36 now.

I've had some pretty good success with various prescription drugs, but since you want to go the more natural route, I feel like zinc supplements have been a godsend. I also started magnesium glycinate. As "bad" as it is to say, spending lots of time at the beach in the sun and salt water helps dry up things for me. I apply Epsom salt dissolved in water all the time and it really helps me, as well.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/29/2016 10:27 am

On 7/13/2016 at 11:19 PM, JessJ said:

Thanks, everyone! It's frustrating but just keep swimming. I've tried coconut oil and it really seemed to hurt more than help. I might try some other oils...one at a time, of course.

my skin is the clearest its been since I was a child. Here's what I'm doing:
*Spiro 50mg and yaz, but just one or the other would probably work too ( Spiro 100mg maybe)
*Wash face with ground up oatmeal
*Topical green tea extract+ sea buckthorn seed oil. Aldo a .15 retinol 3 times per week
* taking zinc, vitamin C and D, and not eating dairy or too much sugar.