New Here 🙂 Need Wh...

Notifications
Clear all

New Here 🙂 Need Whitehead Advice

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/01/2013 3:07 am

So it's been maybe a little less than a month since I completely stopped using my Clarisonic because I'm pretty sure it was doing more harm than good other keeping my skin smooth in the places where is wasn't breaking out.

Soon after that, I stopped using acne medicated products altogether (currently using Cetaphil cleanser and witch hazel morning & night, Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15 Moisturizer in the morning & CeraVe lotion at night).

My breakouts have significantly reduced, but now I'm getting a ridiculous amount of whiteheads, which I've never been prone to before, and my skin texture is pretty uneven and kind of "bumpy." Like these really, really tiny subsurface bumps. My theory is I may have shocked my skin from quitting the Clarisonic & acne medicated skincare & my face is freaking out, but any other input is appreciated.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/01/2013 1:52 pm

The good thing about the Clarisonic is its rapidly moving bristles perform exfoliation on very small spots and can keep your pores clear.

The down side is that those fast bristles can also spread bacteria across your skin.

This is why the Clarisonic pamphlet says very clearly to not use on a face with active acne. It is good for prevention and general exfoliation. It is not good for clearing breakouts.

You might try a chemical or enzyme exfoliant cream.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/02/2013 1:41 pm

The good thing about the Clarisonic is its rapidly moving bristles perform exfoliation on very small spots and can keep your pores clear.

The down side is that those fast bristles can also spread bacteria across your skin.

This is why the Clarisonic pamphlet says very clearly to not use on a face with active acne. It is good for prevention and general exfoliation. It is not good for clearing breakouts.

You might try a chemical or enzyme exfoliant cream.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I never expected it to cure my acne, I just got it in hopes to keep my pores clearer and skin texture smoother. I never knew it wasn't supposed to be used on active breakouts, though. I did read the pamphlet, I guess just not thoroughly enough. Even when I called their CS a few weeks ago regarding it exacerbating my skin, the woman I spoke to didn't even tell me that.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/02/2013 5:27 pm

I don't know what version you have, but I have a 2011 Clarisonic Pro and the instructions specifically said to not use on skin with active acne.

MemberMember
(@bostontrouble)

Posted : 10/04/2013 10:56 am

I recently did almost the same thing and am suffering the same results. I am wondering if the skin is purging. I am doing witch hazel with thyme and jojoba oil with TTO and dove soap.

MemberMember
(@gilps24)

Posted : 10/04/2013 12:40 pm

Hi, I stopped using my topical acne meds and broke out in terrible whiteheads too. I have started using my meds again and I'm praying its going to get rid of them and calm my skin down as its going crazy at the moment! Are your whiteheads all over or just in certain areas? Mine started on jawline but I now feel them spreading all over cheeks (I've never had acne on my cheeks before).

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/05/2013 10:54 am

I recently did almost the same thing and am suffering the same results. I am wondering if the skin is purging. I am doing witch hazel with thyme and jojoba oil with TTO and dove soap.

How long ago stop you stop? I stopped about a month ago and I'm going NUTS. Nothing is helping it. Oil pulling, witch hazel, TTO, masks, very gentle exfoliation, nada! Bah!

When I first started the Clarisonic my skin purged for a longer period of time than most people before clearing up (took me about 6 weeks) so maybe I'm a slow healer and am still purging. Maybe you're still purging, too.

Dan's Regimen should be arriving to me within a few days so I feel a little better about that. At least with that I do expect a purge.

Hi, I stopped using my topical acne meds and broke out in terrible whiteheads too. I have started using my meds again and I'm praying its going to get rid of them and calm my skin down as its going crazy at the moment! Are your whiteheads all over or just in certain areas? Mine started on jawline but I now feel them spreading all over cheeks (I've never had acne on my cheeks before).

Yep, it's starting to creep up in other places, but not as badly. Mine are on my forehead and spread a little to my cheeks. It could be because my cheeks have always been my problem areas, but I don't know... they didn't start there so who knows what the heck is going on. confused.gif