Adult Acner - First...

Notifications
Clear all

Adult Acner - First Day At Work In 10 Months Tomorrow!

MemberMember
(@kerxo)

Posted : 09/02/2013 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

This is a very hard topic for me to reach out about but I could really do with some coping strategies, words of wisdom, encouragement, anything.

I have had sever anxiety problems for the past year and gave up my job in recruitment last November - it was around this time that I developed moderate acne. My anxiety was so bad in February I stayed in my flat for 3 weeks straight. I have repeatedly tried to start 3 jobs and haven't even been able to go in on the first day. They were all in recruitment. I then thought how much I'd hated that job before; why would I keep doing something that made me so anxious? I'd always wanted to be a teacher, so this is what I went after. Unfortunately all teaching courses were full so decided to look for mentoring job for kids. I have been fortunate enough to, 7 weeks ago, be offered a job in a secondary school mentoring 11-18 year olds (bit like a teaching assistant with some pastoral care in there). I have been excited for the past few weeks however I am starting tomorrow and this is where my problem is.

My acne has always been prominent the past 12 months - a few pustules here and there, ones with no heads. I seem to take my anxiety out on my skin; I gauge out any lump I find on my face and keep going and going at it until I feel 'relieved'. I find myself in such an anxious frenzy I just go at my face and I don't stop until I feel that the urge is out of me. But then I hit the crap part - I get paranoid about what people think about my skin, in my head, everyone is staring at me, noticing all my imperfections ..but then I can't stop myself from putting them there in the first place! It's a horrible, vicious cycle.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking - all I know is that in 7 hours I need to be at my new job. I'm terrified. I want to go so so much yet all I can think about is my skin. If anyone has any words of wisdom, advice, or even just soft words that tell me it's all going to be okay and all I need to do is

stick with it and it will get easier.

Argh!

My obsession with my skin is completely totally taking over my life and I'm getting so sick of it!

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 09/04/2013 7:22 am

Im a day late but I hope things went well for you. You've come to the right place to seek out infomation and suggestions. There are MANY of us on this site going thru the same issue you are.

I might suggest taking a look at the psychological forum. There's lots of words or wisdom, and lot of anecdotes from people that are experiencing exactly what you are.

Best of luck

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 09/04/2013 10:43 am

Kerxo

I really hope you managed to attend your first day and it went well.

I can relate to your post regarding anxiety. I have been out of work now for nearly two years and the thought of starting a new job (although I really want to) makes me sick to my stomach with fear.

I cannot offer you advice, but I can assure you of one thing. When we have too much time on our hands our thoughts can go into overdrive. Like you, my time is spent worrying about my skin and what people will think of it. It consumes so much of my thoughts I feel like my head will explode. I dread interviews because of it, dread doing simple every day things because of it.

However, once you get over the initial, normal anxiety that everyone experiences when settling into a new position you will find that you think less of your skin because you are occupied. You will benefit from this a great deal, it will do you the world of good.

If you find that in a couple of months your obessions are still taking over your life, perhaps you could go see a GP and seek advice about therapy. I hear CBT is a great tool used in obsessive thoughts and anxiety and I am building myself up to getting help myself.

You will be ok in the end, you will get there!! If you ever need to vent or chat, feel free to message me. There are thousands of us on this board going through similar daily struggles.

I hope you keep us updated on how your doing :)