Treating Hormonal A...

Notifications
Clear all

Treating Hormonal Acne Naturally

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 07/13/2010 9:29 am

You're a smart person.

It isn't just hormones, MILK is PASTEURISED, meaning its heated to kill bacteria and in the process kills GOOD bacteria needed to digest milk PROPERLY, Dairy is linked to so many illnesses/allergies.

Including the fact that hormones are added to it to last longer on shelves, etc.

You are wrong. Hormones are given to the cows to make them produce more milk, not to make it last longer. And for most people, the bacteria to digest milk are already present in your digestive tract, though you CAN become lactose intolerant if you stop dairy intake for an extended period of time. I would actually encourage women especially not to give up dairy entirely- organic skim milk should not contain hormones which will trigger breakouts. Organic milk means the cows cannot be given extra hormones, AND the hormones are in the milk fat (as per a study done by Harvard med) and obviously skim milk has had the fat removed. Osteoporosis is a really bad thing, and milk is one of the easiest ways to get the calcium you need in a way your body can absorb.

interesting about drinking organic milk. I think I will include a tiny amount in my diet again so I don't become intolerant to it. Although most countries outside of the uk have a high population of lactose intolerant people so it won't be the end of the world if I have tyo avoid it. Plus I believe I read somewhere that people who drink milk are more likely to develop osteoporosis in later life.

here is a link with some encouraging looking citations, I encourage people to read about it and consider the source of the info you recieve make up your own minds

http://thebabybond.com/MilkingYourBones.html

seems from most sources I have read that physical activitiy is a much better increaser of bone density than calcium intake alone.

MemberMember
(@pickledpears)

Posted : 07/14/2010 3:19 am

You're a smart person.

It isn't just hormones, MILK is PASTEURISED, meaning its heated to kill bacteria and in the process kills GOOD bacteria needed to digest milk PROPERLY, Dairy is linked to so many illnesses/allergies.

Including the fact that hormones are added to it to last longer on shelves, etc.

You are wrong. Hormones are given to the cows to make them produce more milk, not to make it last longer. And for most people, the bacteria to digest milk are already present in your digestive tract, though you CAN become lactose intolerant if you stop dairy intake for an extended period of time. I would actually encourage women especially not to give up dairy entirely- organic skim milk should not contain hormones which will trigger breakouts. Organic milk means the cows cannot be given extra hormones, AND the hormones are in the milk fat (as per a study done by Harvard med) and obviously skim milk has had the fat removed. Osteoporosis is a really bad thing, and milk is one of the easiest ways to get the calcium you need in a way your body can absorb.

interesting about drinking organic milk. I think I will include a tiny amount in my diet again so I don't become intolerant to it. Although most countries outside of the uk have a high population of lactose intolerant people so it won't be the end of the world if I have tyo avoid it. Plus I believe I read somewhere that people who drink milk are more likely to develop osteoporosis in later life.

here is a link with some encouraging looking citations, I encourage people to read about it and consider the source of the info you recieve make up your own minds

seems from most sources I have read that physical activitiy is a much better increaser of bone density than calcium intake alone.

You are right, most countries do have lactose intolerances or just allergies a lot of people have the allergy (me) but people do not connect their symptoms to the milk. When we loose our milk teeth we also loose the ENZYME that breaks down the lactose (protein which causes lactose intolerance) or the fat globules (which cause a milk allergy (what I have).

The only bacteria that breaks down milk is the natural flora on our gut which helps a little tiny bit, but mainly lives off fruit and veg)

Have you ever noticed in milk advertising they say " this milk contains calcium and calcium can help prevent osteoporosis"? two true statements there...but they never say "this milk will help prevent osteoporosis"?

It is because most of the calcium in the milk is in an unabsorbable form and when the body using the ATP cycle breaks down the protein, when protein is broken down by the body it produce a low pH bi product causing the body to become acidic in nature.

When this happens the body needs to neutralize the acidic environment, so it takes the calcium and magnesium in the body and uses this to regulate the acidic environment. This is the calcium and magnesium the body would use for the bones to prevent osteo but instead has to use to keep the body neutral.

MemberMember
(@orangeorn)

Posted : 09/14/2010 4:44 am

I am taking zinc 100mg + B Complex from 2 weeks, and it made a huge difference to my acne. My skin is very very less oily now and no new zit.

But I am taking zinc sulfate. IS this bad for long term? I am planning to switch to zinc gluconate/picolinate.

Also I will be adding Vit A , Vit C and fish oil capsules.

Please provide your input.

MemberMember
(@elle16)

Posted : 10/26/2010 10:29 am

I'm new here and just read this from start to finish. Thank you to everyone who has posted on here. I have been researching and wanting to try supplements for my hormonal acne. I'm glad to see that it can work. :)

MemberMember
(@amw8124)

Posted : 12/21/2010 1:47 pm

Hi there! I am definitely having problems since being off BC. BUT... I don't know how to even stand the Apple Cider Vinegar's taste and I definitely can't stand smelling it on my face! Is there anything else instead? It makes me gag!

I'm also trying all the vitamins and a little strickter diet.

Also do they make one or two vitamins all combined into one with all of the mentioned vitamins?

Any suggestions? Anyone?

MemberMember
(@river333)

Posted : 06/28/2011 9:16 am

Hi there! I am definitely having problems since being off BC. BUT... I don't know how to even stand the Apple Cider Vinegar's taste and I definitely can't stand smelling it on my face! Is there anything else instead? It makes me gag!

I'm also trying all the vitamins and a little strickter diet.

Also do they make one or two vitamins all combined into one with all of the mentioned vitamins?

Any suggestions? Anyone?

I tried so many combos trying to figure out how to mask the nasty taste of ACV. My solution: Drink ACV with apple juice/cider (I use whole foods organic). You can hardly taste it then, it just tastes like a tangier version of apple cider, which isn't bad! Drink it with a straw. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@roshmallai)

Posted : 12/12/2011 2:46 pm

guyzzz

i have these adult acne...which really hurts and they r on the V zone of ma face.....had been on BCP,,,, but

stopped it 6 mnths back n so thr attack is back too....!

m from india.. and m no where able to find Vitex...PLZ help if u know how wud i get it.

Also try using thyme as your toner...jus steam it n cool it n bottle it.

its effective externally....also try rubbing a ice cube once in a day...it helps vclosing the pores.

these few things n sme vitamins is hlping me so far to keep ma 50% acne away....

but i need to balance ma harmones for complete clear face....

so plz HELP me to find VITEX in mumbai,,,,India...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@kerriannm81)

Posted : 01/13/2012 4:38 pm

I know this is an old post, but I found it googling "ACV for Acne". I've been using the ACV topically and internally for a few weeks now. I am in love with this stuff. I feel great, and my skin is looking better. I use 2 tbs twice day mixed with about 3 tbs water. I take it in one quick shot to avoid trying to suffer down 8 oz of it. I use it diluted 3 parts vinegar to one part water on my face twice a day as an astringent. It works GREAT on clearing up visable acne, and Ive notice less break outs recently as well. Waiting a full month before I commit to its internal use and acne prevention. I use Bragg's Organic. I also use the AcneFree Severe product line. Im not sure whats causing my acne. Im 30 and have never had much trouble with it before. The past 2 yrs or so its been awful. I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the past 2 years (about 60 lbs) and wondering if that has anything to do with it??? Well i just wanted to weigh in on the ACV topic. Oh FYI it's done wonders for my digestion system too. I drink it both on an empty stomach in the morning and after a mean in the evening. Dosent bother me as long as its diluted at least in equal amount of water. =)

MemberMember
(@travelzd)

Posted : 01/24/2012 3:17 am

So, I'm new here and trying to figure out the best inside and outside therapy for this mess that is my face. I know my acne is connected to hormones and going off BCP and I really want to use effective natural remedies and vitamins in conjunction with other things if needed. I'd would love some feedback.

Here's my situation: I had been on and off BCPs since high school (I'm 24 now) and have had really clear skin until recently. For the last two years or so, my skin has been much less clear (like, 1-2 zits almost all the time) but totally manageable. I stopped BCP in September (because of panic attacks, mood, low sex drive, etc.) and I have experienced 2-3 months of <b>horrible </b>break outs that started about a month after switching to the copper IUD.

At first, I thought I'd wait it out while my hormones balance and try topicals (Murad--the lotion is good, but no clearing, gentle cleansers and moisturizers, benzoyl peroxide). I have been using Differin for about three months and it might actually be worse than it was when I started. Nothing seems to be working and my whole right cheek is one big red mark now from both acne and the healing acne.

Has anyone tried Vitex (Chaste Tree Berry) for hormonal acne? It sounds like it might be a more natural thing to get women's hormones back in balance, rather than relying on BCP or spiro.

I'd love to hear any personal experience (good and bad) with the following products I'm thinking about using...

Inside:

Vitamin B Complex

Fish Oil

Zinc

Vitex

Apple Cider Vinegar (2 T in water, 2x daily)

Very little dairy (this one is going to be hard---cheese is like a food group for me)

Lots of water and moderate exercise

Outside:

Vitamin E Oil (for red marks)

Jojoba Oil (a few drops in lotion)

Cetaphil wash

Cetaphil (2x daily)

Neutrogena On The Spot Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (spot treatment? or all over 1x daily?)

OR Continuing up to two months longer with Differin??

why not do the bp during the day and differin at night I was on something similar from a dermatologist and it worked well(she actually had me on duac during the day whichis half bp.. if u can get the duac DO IT if not do the bp)... bp should be all over..maybe follow dans regimin on how to do it, just substitute your differen for the night time BP:)

<!--quoteo(post=2555822:date=Mar 9 2009, 01:07 AM:name=SomeGuy86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 9 2009, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2555822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're a smart person.

Including the fact that hormones are added to it to last longer on shelves, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually there are hormones in all milk , no matter how you spin it (organic /raw ) ... because the hormones are growth hormones and are there to help the calf grow: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-a_b_822163.html

if that link doesn't work look up mark hyman MD acne and milk

MemberMember
(@ecofashionista)

Posted : 12/22/2012 7:12 pm

Welp, it's been three years! I thought I should add an update on what my skin has gone through the past few of years so that it can (maybe) help some folks going through similar mid-20s hormonal acne. I seriously wish I had known at 24 what I know now. :)

The good news is that my skin is super clear. Unfortunately, it wasn't until recently and it hasn't been completely natural either. In 2010, I was fed up and decided to finally try some real drugs. I've been on Spironolactone and Finacea since then, which improved my breakouts enough that I've kept using them, but they never really fully cleared it up.

About four months ago it worsened so I started seeing a new dermatologist who I like much better than my old one. We added a slow-release minocycline (antibiotic) called Solodyn and Ziana (topical). I didn't see a lot of improvement the first six weeks and my skin was SO dry and flaky, so we switched from Ziana to Epiduo to try one more month and see what happened. In that month, I also ended up changing a LOT of other things in my life, so I think the credit goes more to Epiduo and lifestyle changes than the antibiotics.

Other big changes are that I started seeing an acupuncturist who prescribed some Traditional Chinese herbs (liver clearing formula) and I started a strict paleo diet called the Whole 30. I've literally been recommending this way of eating to everyone I know, acne or not. I'll explain more about the diet below.

My derm and I are trying to cut out the scary prescriptions slowly. I'm currently weaning off of Solodyn now, so I'm hoping I'll stay clear. Next up will be getting off the Spironolactone and herbs, but not holding my breath on either of those yet.

Here's my current regimen...

AM:

-Spironolactone 100 mg

-Vitamin D

-Siler and Coix Clearing Formula Herbs (4 tablets, prescribed by my acupuncturist)

-BP Wash

-Finacea

-Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Lotion

-Dermalogica Ultracalming Serum (this stuff is EXCELLENT, I love it)

-Bare Minerals Makeup (I also have a lot of no makeup days since I work from home)

PM:

-Solodyn

-Clearing Herbs (4 tablets)

-Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse (it's a cleansing oil that I use if I have makeup on)

-Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel (super gentle)

-Dermalogica Microfoliant (maybe once a week)

-Epiduo (Benzoyl Peroxide + Adapalene)

-Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Lotion

-Dermalogica Ultracalming Serum

Paleo Diet:

NO: Dairy, Grains, Legumes, Alcohol, Starches, Processed Food

YES: Vegetables, Meat, Fruit, Nuts, Seeds, Healthy Fat

I now eat about 80-90% paleo after doing 30 days very strictly in November. I won't go into all the science of it since you can read into it on your own, but this diet definitely makes sense for people with hormonal acne and I wish that I had tried it sooner. It's one of those things that I put off for a long time because the idea of totally cutting out pizza and Bloody Marys seemed so terrible, but it's worth trying for so many reasons (I've also lost 13 lbs!). It helps maintain healthy hormone levels, healthy glycemic levels, gut health and all that jazz. It's what I think has helped the most of anything in my regimen.

Since I started eating this way, my skin is baby soft and clear (almost 100% aside from one or two quick-healing breakouts before my period and what I think might be ovulation). The first month wasn't easy because there was a point that it felt like my body was detoxing and my skin was getting worse, but I'm glad I waited it out because the results are insane. Now my skin is under control enough that I can have a little goat cheese or a bourbon soda without my skin going nuts. I still say no to things like mac 'n' cheese and FOUR bourbon sodas though”I fear I'd deal with the consequences on my face for a week.

I still have hyperpigmentation from old spots, but it is fading (the Epiduo, Finacea and Calming Serum help) and for once there isn't a constant stream of new red marks to replace the old ones. I feel comfortable enough to at least go to the gym without any makeup on (something that I sadly wouldn't have done earlier this year). When I do have makeup on, my skin looks flawless.

It's a huge lifestyle overhaul, but it's SO SO SO worth it.