(@dannie)

Posted : 01/01/2009 10:51 pm

oh gosh ..im so sorry to hear about this

so this means your stuck on the pill???

what about hormone creams?

MemberMember
(@nellys)

Posted : 01/01/2009 11:31 pm

Same thing happened to me after changing my birth control pills....going back to my old ones on the 15th of January, I can't wait, been so depressed for the last 2 months...

I have also been on the pill for 10 years....

I might have kids in 5 years, can't even imagine the nightmare that I will have to go through with my face but I can't worry about that right now...I just want to fix it now and we will see what happens later....I am 28.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 01/02/2009 12:14 am

your really brave

im sure it will fix up...

thats why i think ill stay on the pill till im ready for kids..

they say to give yourself a year off the pill..but i dunno

MemberMember
(@kristabel)

Posted : 01/02/2009 10:57 am

Dannie - yeh i guess i am stuck on the pill. It sucks as my depression is really bad and i want to see if it will change if i come off the pill. What are hormone creams?

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 01/02/2009 11:46 am

my god...the depression must be acne related...ive noticed that when my face got bad i was in such a depression...i do admit im more emotional on the pill

people told me about progesterone cream

i think its suppose to regulate your hormones..i asked my doc about it once but she brushed me off

i dunno much about it

MemberMember
(@smileygirl)

Posted : 01/05/2009 10:04 pm

Hi all,

this post is very depressing. I too am afraid to go off birth control. But after reading this and doing a little of my own research, I am going to do it. I am 27 and have been on birth control almost non-stop for over 9 years! Currently I am on Yasmin and have been on it for a year. Before that I used the patch, Ortho Evra (very high levels of hormones so I hear now) for about 5 years; I've tried mircette too.

I went off birth control and spiranolactone just over two years ago breifly and my skin really hasn't been right since. However, I had skin problems while I was on and before bc too. I've run a course of accutane, used spiranolactone for 2 years, tried every antibiotic in the book and have only learned to manage it. every time I go off something it comes back worse than before. I freaked out the other night after reading this post and doing some of my own research on bc-- I think it is sick how the medical industry makes us beleive there are no long term effects of using bc long term and that is an anacceptable/ good thing for us to do. Birth control makes us artificially infertile, leads to depression, lowers our sex drive, and possibly makes having a baby harder! Are you kidding? I want kids in the next few years and I have no intention of being pregnant and also dealing with aweful skin. I'm figuring this out another way now.

I am not going to depend on a constant stream of drugs and chemicals that is probably out of whack from them anyway.

Thank you for this post. Good luck to you all.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 01/05/2009 10:26 pm

i know your right smiley girl

i just dont know if i can handle getting off it...it took so long to get this clear

i do agree with u

i wish u the best of luck as well...

MemberMember
(@smileygirl)

Posted : 01/05/2009 11:12 pm

I'll keep you posted on what I'm going to do. At this point I've figured out that my skin troubles are hormone related. I've just ordered some books on balancing hormones and plan to do a liver detox as well as follow a gluten free/casein free diet. Exercise and lots of water to help flush...

Once I've done my research and depending on how it is going I will look into natural hormone balance remedies to help my body find its way. My boyfriend of 8 years supports me... right now my skin has scars from times when it was bad, but I think this time I'm going to figure it out. I'm feeling very optimistic.

MemberMember
(@jlcote)

Posted : 01/05/2009 11:34 pm

Smileygirl - Def let us know how that goes. I've come to the conclusion my acne is hormonal as well so if you come across any natural ways of balancing them let us know!! Oh and i like ur office quote lol

MemberMember
(@v3nus)

Posted : 01/07/2009 7:31 am

i was on bcp for 10 years or so and have also gone off it since we plan to have kids within the next 1-2 years. For the first year my skin was okay but now suddenly I have had 2 months of non stop painful cystic acne breakouts on my chin. I am sure this is hormone related also but cant find any solution since bcps are out for me.

I've tried changing my diet and taking supplements but like what you've all experienced its not helping!

I never used to break out this bad and this continuous untl now.

I'm considering starting saw palmetto and vitex agnus caste which are sposed to be good natural supplements for hormones but still tossing as i have sooo many supplements already!

If you find anything that helps pls let us know!

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 01/08/2009 11:49 am

ive never herd of those suppliments....what r they exactly?

gosh im so sorry after so long of being clear its come back for u...mabye its stress?

u think your hormones r out of wack all of a sudden?

MemberMember
(@forserce)

Posted : 01/31/2009 1:01 am

This happened to me too!! I was on Alesse for about 7 years and stopped taking it in July. In December I started breaking out on my chin...now I have it all over my chin, jawline, and a bit on my forhead. I have never in my life had acne this bad before. It's awful. So in January I started taking Daine 35 (birth control pill). It's supposed to be good for clearing up acne. My face got even worse after I started taking that. I then started on antibiotics and am waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist. I went to an esthetician (sp?) and recently started using DerMed cleaner and toner (expensive!). I had tried all kinds of cleansers, creams, etc. nothing worked. So as it is now my face has improved a bit since it was at it's worst, but it's still quite bad (in my opinion). I don't understand why this would have happened, but the only thing I can link it to is stopping the pill. Oh and by the way, I'm 25.

I'm 21 and this is EXACTLY what happened to me down to a T. I took alesse for 7 years and stopped it in JUNE and in DECEMBER I've started to get so much chin acne! I've never had a problem with acne before in my life. I used to go to bed with makeup on every night and still have a clear face. Now I cancel plans because of the embarassment. I'm going back on the pill next period because I can't handle this! I didn't realize it was due to the BC though, but hopefully it returns to normal!

Has anyone gone back on the pill and been fine after this??? Please respond!

MemberMember
(@nods)

Posted : 01/31/2009 2:35 am

I am 30 now and have been on the bcp since 17 or 18. The reason I went on it in the first place was to clear my skin, I started on Diane 35 and a few years back switched to Estelle.

Anyway I've come off it a few times due to going overseas and my GP was concerned about long flights and blood clots but my skin gets bad again after a few months off the pill so I have to keep taking it.

I'm just recovering from some really bad nodules that occurred from this last break.

It's funny because I think my skin looks best when I am off the pill and start to get very slightly oily (because the pill makes my skin dry out) but then it just gets crazy oily eventually and I can't put up with the breakouts so I will have to wear the risk of being on the pill for a while yet.

It's the only thing that keeps my skin clear unfortunately and I've tried numerous other things..it does seem to clear it up again once I've been back on it for a while.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 01/31/2009 4:20 pm

omg that is awful....how do celebs do it..i mean some r on the pill and u see them now like angelina jolie with babies...she went off the pill..NO ACNE..

i mean what do they have a miracle cure?

there must be a way to balance hormones with something else besides the pill...like something to help with the transition phase of getting off the pill

my family doctor said thier isnt but i dunno

MemberMember
(@nods)

Posted : 01/31/2009 7:49 pm

Some people find natural remedies helpful for hormonal balancing but I don't know much about them.

I've noticed a lot of people commented that they felt depressed when taking the pill, not sure if it's specific types but I got really depressed when I wasn't taking the Estelle..pretty sure it was related because soon after I went back on it my mood picked right up.

So for me it really has been a saviour, even though there are risks, but it would suck to have bad skin caused by the pill.

MemberMember
(@m1na)

Posted : 02/02/2009 3:55 am

Same story as everyone else's. Stopped taking yasmin, after I've been on it for years (this is now over a year ago). The first 3 months I still had beautiful skin.

Then my skin got progressively worse.

To the point now that I am embarrassed to even leave the house.

I am on antibiotics now, but can't see it making a difference. It is worse than ever.

I tried using progesterone cream for 3-4 months prior to that and that didn't help either. I actually think it made things even worse and screwed up my hormones even more.

Also I still don't have a regular period yet again. So I can't recommend using progesterone cream. I also took it to increase my low sex drive, but even that worsened with it.

I also tried everything else from creams, to face wash, all the other crap. Nothing helped.

The only thing I decided I am going to try now is meditation.

I will give it a go since nothing else has helped and I am hoping that that will improve my skin.

I started doing yoga for the same reason 10 months ago and that didn't help.

I was told acceptance is the answer. Easier said than done!

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 02/02/2009 11:44 am

omg im sorry to hear that...darn

its not right that BC is giving out to people without being warned about all this.

Acne is a horrible thing to have and its become worse for people

U would think they would have a cure by now..

MemberMember
(@def0ne)

Posted : 02/02/2009 3:29 pm

I'm suffering acne conglobata for years, don't know if this will ever disappear.

I'm suffering acne conglobata for years, don't know if this will ever disappear.

-------

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 02/02/2009 4:35 pm

whats acne conglobata

never herd that term

MemberMember
(@kristabel)

Posted : 02/02/2009 4:57 pm

I went to my derm and said i have been taking yasmin for years, dianette before that, and that every time i had tried to come off the pill in the past my skin has gone crazy. I explained i now have severe depression which may be linked to the pill and he said i need to come off the yasmin. He said i should be ok if i switch to cilest for a few months and when my body has adjusted to the transition, to come off the cilest as the breakout coming off the cilest is not as bad as the breakout from coming off yasmin. I guess its like weaning off rather than going cold turkey.

To help the transition from yasmin to cilest, i have been prescribed isotrexin and duac, and Nlite laser treatment once every 2 months.

I had my 1st Nlite laser treatment 2 weeks ago and my skin (which had been clear from the yasmin) has been breaking out really badly, taking longer to heal, and breaking out in places i dont normally get acne. I'm going nuts with worry because i didnt expect that, i was just worried about the breakout from changing pill and i dont even change pill till next week! I cant handle this acne i have right now from the laser and i'm terrified of even more acne when i change pill. I'll update on what happens, either in this post or one of my other ones

MemberMember
(@overratedsociety)

Posted : 02/02/2009 5:09 pm

Same thing here! I was on Nuvaring for about 2 years and my skin was flawless. I had noticible acne before but nothing I was too worried about. 6 mos after I stopped the NuvaRing I had the ultimate breakout and have been dealing with it for 3 years now. All of the doctors say the hormones only regulate but if you are not taking them they don't change anything. So basically they said my bad acne now was inevitable, I say thats bull. The only suggestion I have is to find a product that works for you. My golden egg was Acne Free 'Severe'

Good LUCK!

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 02/02/2009 5:34 pm

so basically, MOST people who go on BC will eventually develop acne once they get off?

i knew some people who where lucky and didnt get it. and they never had acne before either though..

there really isnt anything that will help control it if its hormonal ..no product or whatever i guess

MemberMember
(@alyssa2008-2008)

Posted : 02/02/2009 7:11 pm

Hey Ladies, I've been going through very similar experiences too. I have been on the pill since I was 17 and I'm 28 now. I had bad acne since I was 13 and going on the pill helped ALOT. Anyways, when I went off of it 6 months ago, is when the acne came back , tiny comedones everywhere! I'm finally starting to curb them by taking supplements and oils and have found so much useful information on this site its unbelievable. What I want to know is from you ladies is I haven't gotten my period since I've came off birth control. I went to the doctors, I'm not pregnant. So its been six months since having a period and would like to know if you ladies had any similar experience? I'm starting to get worried about whats wrong with my body.....

thanks so much for any input that you give, its much appreciated,

Alyssa

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 02/02/2009 8:10 pm

wow its like me...acne since i was 13 been on the pill since i was 16 and im 29 now

U HAVENT GOTTEN A PERIOD IN 6 MONTHS??? OMG...

what is going on there??? the pill must of really unbalanced your hormones after getting of it..

what does your doctor say?

i did read on another forum alot of girls went threw the same thing..

i take alot of suppliments and i hear that does help for the acne

MemberMember
(@alyssa2008-2008)

Posted : 02/02/2009 8:26 pm

Yeah I know its crazy! I have a gyno appointment at the end of march...so i hope everything is ok...I really want children someday! For the acne, I've trying lots of diff supplements and oils, I'm getting some good progress...and experimenting with different face washes, topicals, etc....how about you? are you making progress with the acne at all?