Acne after stopping...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne after stopping birth control pills

MemberMember
(@lola18)

Posted : 08/07/2013 6:59 pm

I'm so glad I found this site. Going off of birth control has turned my life upside down! Luckily, I always had clear skin, even through the hormone crazy teen years. I started taking Apri birth control to regulate my period and for bc reasons. When I stopped, my skin remained clear for about a year and a half, and then...Hello acne! It started on my chest, then all over my back, and finally on my previously clear face! It's driving me insane! My life now revolves around my acne. I eat, breathe, and sleep it. It has been a source of extreme depression, and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I've lost my happy, carefree self to this horrible thing. I wish I had known that this would happen when I started taking it because I wouldn't have made the decision so lightly. I just had blood work done which indicated that my estrogen levels were too high, and so were my prolactin levels. I have an appointment with a holistic doctor on Friday, and am visiting a Chinese herbalism school on Thursday in hopes that someone can help me get my life back. I refuse to take antibiotics, as I know acne's cause is internal and would like to address the root of my problem and not just temporarily cover the symptoms, but it's driving me insane! I've tried OCM with different blends of oils, tea tree oil, caveman method. Nothing works! Vitamin/mineral supplementation stopped the cystic acne I was getting all over my face (knocking on wood,) but still hasn't stopped the "my pores don't stop clogging" syndrome on my face, back, and chest. I'm seriously at my witt's end. If anything helps/stops this never-ending battle, I will be sure to post and share. Thanks for listening to my venting!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/08/2013 2:48 pm

I will just say that birth control was the worst thing I ever did - not because it cleared my skin but because it made me break out like crazy all over my chin. I was on it for years not knowing this was the culprit. Wasn't until I was on the internet more and researching my problems did I realize - I went off of it and my skin went a little bit haywire in that I was breaking out in new places, but not nearly as bad as when I was on it. After I had a baby I thought I'd try a new kind, a better kind, and the same thing started happening around my chin so I quit right away. I just wish I didn't spend years of my life like that - I just had no idea.

MemberMember
(@wendyy72)

Posted : 10/10/2013 10:03 pm

I know this was posted years ago, but were you girls on The Regimen when you came off the pill? or did you try the Regimen? Because I just stopped BCP and was wondering if the Regimen would be helpful

MemberMember
(@annamartell)

Posted : 02/02/2014 11:40 am

Hi guys! I wanted to share my experience because it's very different from everyone else's and that kinda troubles me..

I've been on Yasminelle for 11 months now. I started it mostly because the period pain was insufferable, I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't eat because I was very nauseous and I had horrible headaches and abdomen pain. (This wasn't normal for me however, i only had these symptoms for about 2-3 months and I was studying abroad at the time, so I thought BC would help. Plus I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my cheeks and chin.

Note that my skin was almost clear when I was a teenager (1-2 pimples b4 my period but nothing extreme), but when I turned 18 it gotten SO bad. (I am 21 now) Before I started taking Yasminelle, I was suffering from depression, and my acne made me feel even worse. It made my life miserable and I lost my confidence. I've been using homeopathy ever since I was a child and so I rarely took any pills/medicine that weren't 'natural'. (I saw 2 homeopathy doctors about my acne but didn't help.)

When I went on the pill, my acne got worse for the first two months. But I read online that it was normal so I waited. After the third month, it got better. I was happier and more confident.

So, to continue, even though I am still on Yasminelle, my skin NEVER cleared completely. In fact I STILL have horrible breakouts, and its getting even worse. And im ON the pill still!! It doesn't make any sense!! I'm sitting here, typing this, while my cheeks and chin have 5-6 pimples EACH and my face is full of blackheads.

I take excellent care of my skin and that really frustrates me.. I'm desperate I don't know what else to do!!!

My gynecologist told me to stop taking the pill because it's really bad for my health and that it will be good to stop taking it for at least 2 months, and go back to her to have my hormone levels measured.

I refused immedietely, but after reading your stories, I've decided to stop. I am TERRIFIED because i'll feel aweful again, but truth is, i feel aweful right now too, because even though im on birth control, my skin is still horrible. I'm hoping to find a different solution for my acne, one that will really work...And fortunately my mom promised to take me see a dermatologist after I'll have my hormone levels analysed.

All in all, I was wondering: Am I the only one??? Are there others whose BCP didnt help clear their acne?? Ugh, it's so frustrating..

MemberMember
(@dojaro5)

Posted : 02/05/2014 10:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I went on the birth control pill to help my acne in my teens. I was put on Diane 35 for about a year and it completely cleared up my skin. It was a very high dose of hormones with a high risk of blood clots etc and so once my skin cleared and I was on it for a while they put me onto alesse. I was on alesse for about 10 years. Being a woman who does not take any prescription or over the counter drugs I did not want to be putting this pill into my body anymore. I went off the pill October 2012 following my wedding. My face exploded with cystic acne. I went vegetarian for a couple of months and that seemed to help it but once I went back to eating meat it got really bad again. At this point no skin cleanser/ exfoliant/remedy was working. I was so embarrassed and it really upset me everytime I looked at it. I am proud to say that about 13 months later -- after trying to stick to a fairly healthy diet and after using specific skin care routines I have no more acne. I have scars to remind me of the year I endured but my skin is so beautiful now. It took my body a bit over a year to recover from the pill and I am sure my skin care routines helped along the way. I use clean and clear cleanser and a clarisonic skin cleansing machine. I also use a high end moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. I hope this helps please let me know if you have any questions :)

MemberMember
(@allosaurus)

Posted : 03/04/2014 2:12 am

Hello ladies!

I've read this thread a little while back and wanted to thank you all for sharing your stories. Based on the advice I found in this thread, I was finally able to deal with this acne issue.

I was on Yaz for about 2 years and TriCyclen for 1, and about 6 months ago I found myself getting severely sick after taking the pill. It was bizzare and I still can't determine why all of a sudden something that had worked quite well for me was making me so sick. I would take the pill, and about 8 hours later I would wake up with some of the worst nausea, which would stay with me for hours. Needless to say, after a few weeks of feeling disgusting I stopped taking it and I felt good again. Then, about three months later, I started breaking out severely. Prior to and during birth control I never really had acne and I can tell you it was pretty awful. It was the kind of under the skin acne that HURTS. It would start as these swollen red bumps and develop into something that resembled boils. Not only did these take about a week to develop, but as soon as one was sort of reduced in size, another three would pop up right next to it. It was pretty tough to manage on a daily basis - not only because of the appearance of the acne, but because of the pain!

I tried Biore (which had always worked on minor acne in the past), as well as a Neutrogena spot treatment, and I even got a prescribed hydrocortisone acetate cream that did nothing.

Then I found this post and noticed some people recommended things like Evening Primrose Oil and Maca alongside other suggestions. I've purchased both and have since been taking them daily.

I started with 2 pills (500 mg each - 100 mg/day) of Evening Primrose Oil and progressed to 3 pills (a total of 1500 mg/day) and I saw immediate results. I would say right now, three weeks in, about 97% of the acne is gone. The only imperfections that are still left are very minor blackheads along the jawline, but I believe these may have to do more with sweating from working out than with BCP side effects.

Initially I would take 1 Maca pill a day (500 mg/day) but I've noticed that it doesn't have any impact on my acne. It does however give you a great boost of energy that lasts throughout the day. I found that I can now feel rested on 4 - 5 hours of sleep (whereas before I needed a full 8). It's also a big libido booster so there's also that.

I haven't changed my diet one bit (I eat ridiculous amounts of cheese), I take no antibiotics, and use no prescribed ointments - it all has to do with taking 1500 mg of Evening Primrose Oil a day.

I just thought I'd share this with the ladies who are still looking for options. This has worked out great for me and I would recommend it. Before trying anything extreme (like Accutane for example - please please please do not try it unless you are desperate and have fully researched it), give Evening Primrose Oil a try. I got a bottle of 180 - 200 capsules at a health store in the mall for about $15 (Canadian) but I bet you ladies in the U.S. can find it for much cheaper in stores, or even by ordering it online.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I've been there and I've been lucky enough to have gotten a handle on it early, so I'd love to help you gals that are still trying to find options. :)

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 03/30/2014 12:12 am

Hello all, I am also sadden to read all of your experiences because I too have been dealing with this acne issue for a little over a month now. I actually started taking Lutera and started noticing my skin was becoming super oily. I started getting night sweats and basically pre menopause lol. I took it for maybe a month and switched to Microgestin.. which also did not help my oily skin issue. And finally after two month yes JUST TWO months of being on BC acne started to show up. I immediately went off and have been breaking out like crazy since. Mind you I never had acne to begin with prior to any pill. I am so depressed all the time because I have so much hyperpigmentation...and nothing seems to work. I don't want to be seen and I don't want to leave my house anymore. Everyone around me says Im over doing it but honestly I feel like trash right now. Ive been thinking of going back on another pill but Im so scared Ill break out worse. I sympathize with all of you..it isn't right that these things are prescribed so easily without properly warning women how much damage these pills can do to us!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 04/02/2014 8:56 am

That's so interesting - I was on Lutera for years having no idea that it was one of the worst kinds for acne and I broke out terribly the whole time. I would also get night sweats on it - which is just very odd considering the estrogen should be more than your normal estrogen. But it is a low estrogen pill so maybe it's really not enough, or maybe your body doesn't receive it the same way. Even though it broke me out, when I went off I started breaking out more and in weird places after a few months. I'm now on Spiro and have been clear for a year.

Krissy990 liked
MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 04/06/2014 10:20 pm

Michi31 finally someone else who understands! And I believe you are absolutely right about the estrogen assumption. I feel as though the Lutera actually lowered my estrogen levels since its a low dose pill. So I think it probably inhibited our bodies from producing enough natural estrogen possibly causing testosterone to raise. Im not 100% sure but that is my assumption. Your also right on with breaking out in odd places Im getting body acne which is completely foreign to me :(. Im also getting persistence comedones along my jawline which is also new to me. It has been almost two months of this and it has completely altered my life. I mean it has taken such a toll on me and has cause me to feel so depressed. Im praying that this just clears up on its own.

MemberMember
(@cultstatus)

Posted : 11/27/2014 3:42 am

I felt the need to post on this forum and thread as I am currently in the midst of the hell that is trying to come off birth control pills, and would like to post as I try different solutions to help other readers.

I have taken the Estelle pill for close to 10 years now. I am 27 years old. It did make my mild acne and painful periods virtually disappear which is obviously why I stayed on it for so long. That, and when I have tried to come off it the same thing continues to happen and I end up just getting back on it again because I cannot handle the hell of acne, painful full blown acne.

While many posters have suggested different creams and topical treatments, I feel the best way to attack the problem is internally. There are obviously some serious problems internally with hormones to cause such intense Acne that need to be addressed. The body needs help to regulate hormones after years of synthetic interference.

I have been off the pill for about 3 weeks. Currently my only side affects are the acne. It is all over the back and sides of my neck, now more is starting to appear on my back and chest. Also lots of small pimple/white heads/bumps on forehead. The acne on back of neck is painful and almost like a rash.

I discussed this with my naturopath friend who recommended the following - zinc supplement, silica gel supplement, vitamin c supplement, a supplement with chaste tree and herbs like withania, shatavari, peony, shisandra burdock liquorice. Maca which is apparently great for hormonal imbalances a high dose of fish oil up to 8 caps a day. She said health food store should have a good herbal supplement which hopefully could knock a few off the list at once, she suggested the brands Herbs of Gold or Fusion Health.

If you are student and or struggling financially and cannot afford multiple doctors visits and tests perhaps you might be interested in trying these supplements?

I found this link too which I thought may be helpful http://empoweredsustenance.com/the-pill-hormone-damage/

Again, I will post in the future and let you all know how I go or whether I throw in the towel again and get back on the pill. I hope I don't have to resort to that. I don't even take pain relief medication! I eat fully organic mostly vegan diet. I don't want to poison my body with this crap any longer.

MemberMember
(@cultstatus)

Posted : 11/27/2014 5:38 pm

One question I had was what does the location of the acne signify internally? For instance those of you with bad acne on cheeks and around mouth would presumably be caused by something different to my acne on back of neck and forehead? I'd love to be able to pin point the exact needs of my body without going through a bunch of tests.

I visited the GP today, when I showed her my skin she just said wow it looks like a rash, and it was from SWEAT. I was like, no, this happens every time I stop taking the pill. Then she brushed me off and said I could go on antibiotics the rest of my life or go back on the pill. That's it.

Now I have even more weird things happening, lots of lower back pain which I never ever get and weird things happening with my urine? Smell and look. I did a quick google and it said this could relate to problems with kidneys, ovaries or a uti.

I have no doubt this is again related to coming off the pill. I'm kind of worried. I have purchased the pill again and am going to start taking it again, obviously my body is no where near ready to come off these. I need to up all the vitamins I listed above for a month or so prior to weaning off them. This is so horrible.

MemberMember
(@bri-peeples)

Posted : 12/22/2014 1:53 am

Please read this if you are having hormonal troubles due to coming off the pill !

I came off of the pill in late august because I felt that I was putting something monstrous in my body . (Stupidly) I had unprotected sex on my birthday a few days after I stopped taking the pill, and took the plan b pill. 3 days after that I recieved a period . I also began to break out all over my forehead in little bumps . My emotions were running high and I was starting to loose to weight I gained while on the pill . I decided to find ways to balance my hormones naturally because I refused to continue to take hormones . So I started taking femmenessence macaharmony which is a proprietary blend of maca for women of reproductive age . I took that from September to October and then I added 2 more supplements which included evening primrose oil (bar leans brand) and fish oil . When I added these too supplement my skin began to improve quickly . However as of December I still had not recieved a period !! I read about vitex /chaste berry and remembered I had a bottle of the Gaia brand laying around . I took it on the 18 of this month and three days later BAM ! I got my period . I am estatic ! Not only has my skinned cleared , but I've been able to balance my hormones so that my cycle could begin . To anyone who wants to know ( I've never had a regular cycle and that's why I was put on bc at age 14) I am now 18 , and believe I've found a way to balance my hormones ! I wanted to share my story so you know that there are natural ways to balance yourself goodluck .

I take

Macaharmony femmenessence in the mornings with 1 Gaia vitex berry pill .

At night I take 2 Barleans evening primrose oil capsules with 2 fish oil capsules , and a probiotic .

Hope my story can help someone .

MemberMember
(@rellemarie)

Posted : 08/17/2015 8:27 am

Like many of you I came off The Pill after being on for so many years, and I was about to say forget it and go back onto the pill because my face began to break out within two weeks all over my forehead, sides of my face and my chin area my face was covered in a lot of tiny bumps. But I found what works for me, and I'm sure it will work for some of you seeing as it is all natural. It is Aztec healing Indian clay mask, it can be found at your local health food store for about 4-7 dollars. You mix it with bragged apple cider vinegar equal parts using a non-metal bowl and spoon and leave it on for 20 minutes, and once it dries you'll feel your face pulsating and that is the Clay bringing everything out underneath from your skin out. I used it Friday night and Sunday night and noticed dramatic changes in my skin. the bumps has already reduced in size and my skin is a lot less oiler. If you've tried everything please try this mask as once again it is all natural and has absolutely no harsh chemicals like all the other acne cleansers and creams. Do not go back on the pill it is not healthy for you and the next time you decide to go back off of it to have kids your face will probably do the same thing so instead just use the natural face mask and just cleanse your skin from the inside out. Start off with using it every two days and then once your face improves just use it once a week. my cousin uses it and her face is perfect and that's where I got this idea from because I figured I had nothing else to lose I tried everything. Also be sure to use a nice moisturizer because it will dry your face out. Stay blessed!

post-485365-0-35000700-1439818027.jpg

MemberMember
(@skytenshi)

Posted : 04/13/2016 2:10 am

I thought I would revive this thread to post about my experience after going off the pill.

I last posted on this thread in February 2010 when I mentioned that I was contemplating going off the pill after having been on it for 10 years. I was initially prescribed the pill when I was 16 to battle severe back acne.

In April 2011, I finally went off the pill.

- My skin remained clear until around November 2011 when I started getting chin acne. My back remained relatively clear.
- Between November 2011 and September 2013, my back acne came back,thoughonly to a minor degree compared to when I was 16. My main concern was with my chin acne, whichwouldn'tgo away and which I tried to manage with topicals.
- In September 2013, I went on doxycycline for two months. It cleared away the inflamed chin acne.
- After that and until April 2016, I struggled with chin acne on and off. I used all sorts of topicals but basically avoided seeing a dermatologist, because we long-term acne sufferers all know that what the doctors prescribe us (antibiotics especially) don't really do much long term.
- This week, I finally gave in and asked a dermatologist for a short course of antibiotics as the inflamed chin acne was getting out of hand. The dermatologist wants me to go back every 2 weeks for more prescription but I don't think I will. I know the long term side effects of going on antibiotics for a prolonged period of time, so the plan is to try to manage the breakouts with topicals only once the inflammation has died down. I will also try Vitex.

Overall, I am glad I went off the pill,and I will not go back on, not even if it will give me perfect skin.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 04/13/2016 9:33 am

Ugh I agree. My skin went nuts a few months after coming off yaz. I don't plan on having more kids though so I'm going back on...idk, I'd look into topicals and maybe anti inflammatory foods like fish oils and sea buckthorn oil or evening primrose oil. Linoleic acid ( topical and supplement. ). One good thing is acne often improves with pregnancy.
There sure are a lot of us with messed up hormones so youre not alone. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@acnesurvivor1037)

Posted : 09/26/2017 9:41 pm

(WARNING THIS IS A BASICALLY A BOOK BUT I HOPE YOU READ IT)

Hi all!

I wanted to spread some hope!! Similar story as y'all - I went off of birth control in January after swearing I would never again put unnatural hormones into my body that stripped me of my libido and caused weight gain (birth control in more ways than advertised if ya catch my drift :@). I had the occasional lady time pimple in high school but never had acne. Ya should have appreciated your skin when you had the chance you naive cube...anyway..a couple months of clear skin later and WABAM I pizza faced like crazy. Each time I got my period I would get more and more cysts. Of course the worst break outs occurred between May and August when I was graduating from college, traveling and starting a new internship. I already suffer from long standing depression, self esteem issues and social anxiety and this was just like the universe confirming my belief that I should live in the middle of the woods as a hermit and write off all human connection forever. Alas, since student loans run my life I could not quit everything and move to the wilderness and paper bags are not socially acceptable. At it's worst I had about 3 or 4 huge, deep, painful cysts on my cheeks, 3 or 4 less pronounced but deeply set cysts on my chin and ears and more cysts sporadically popping up around my forehead and any other face space they could find. I can't tell you how many times I looked in the mirror and thought how much I hated my appearance; how I didn't need yet another reason to criticize myself. I avoided public appearances as much as I could, slathered on make-up and cried over how overwhelming it was frequently. I came so close to starting up a half used bc pack. They don't warn you about this when you start birth control and that is an unforgivable injustice to women.

Sooooo, having sworn not to put more artificialness into my body to mask the symptoms, antibiotics and going back on birth control were not an option. I wanted to find the actual cause and not just trick my body into thinking it was okay again. So I started looking up natural supplements and diet changes. And lo and behold here I am a couple of months later and I am on the fast track to clear skin and HEALTH! I have ONE cyst left on my left cheek, which was my main problem area, one left on my chin, a couple on my ears and forehead but then are quickly healing and it's only been a couple of months! Now just know right now, there was no miracle cure and the journey is going to be painful and puzzling (queue flashback to a Chinese acne facial consisting of needles and squeezing my face off and then having to walk around NYC as scar face)...but if you've suffered through this you already know that and are already stronger than you give yourself credit for! So I tried a TON of things and here is my laundry list of what has worked for me:

1. DIET DIET DIET!!!!! The biggest break through moment in my skin came after I drastically cut back on sugar and cut out gluten. I know, I know, you're all rolling your eyes about the gluten but I don't knock it until you try it! I do however, think sugar has more of a part to play as when I would intake too much sugar too quickly my cysts would literally pulse and hurt. Our daily recommended intake of sugar is 25 grams! At times when I was super stressed I was eating 3-4 times that! No wonder! To put this in perspective, a Kind granola bar contains about half of your daily sugar...chya. Some days I would eat 2 of these just as snacks. Within two weeks of cutting these things out my cheek cysts were disappearing drastically! Keep in mind there is a difference between added sugar and natural. I was already vegan when my acne started so I did not eating dairy and meat. I did start eating more salads, fruits and vegetables. Aside from my acne I feel healthier and ever and have a lot of energy despite not drinking any form of caffeine. Also...I need a drink sometimes..come on..who doesn't. My go to alcoholic beverage at the moment is gin, soda water, and lime. It's actually quite refreshing once you get past the boringness of it..

2. Supplements: I take Yerba Prima Psyllium Husk Fiber Capsules, Maca Root (for hormonal imbalance), and Nature Made Fish Oil Capsules. During my frantic and obsessive acne research I read something about fiber that made sense. It stated that if your digestive system is not working properly, then you are not ridding your body of toxins, which can then re-enter your blood stream and the body tries to get rid of these through some other channel..like ya face. I'm not a derm. or doctor but this just made logical sense. I actually think the fiber capsules are what made the most difference on my chin acne.

3. Daily Wash Yo Face Routine: I currently was twice a day with my miracle worker Oxi Acne Medication 10% b.p. facewash. Again, within days of using this I saw results. I know b.p. is probably not the best for my skin but hey..it works..After washing I don't dry my face. I immediately dab on Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel. I follow this with tea tree oil and then I pierce open a capsule of Barlean's Evening Primrose oil and put it on my remaining cysts. It contains Gamma Lineolic Acid and Lineolic acid which I believe are Omega 6 oils. Within a couple of days of putting these on newer cysts, they are drastically reduced and healing. I then finish off with Yes To Tomato acne moisturizer.

4. Exercise & Meditation: I currently do Insanity, a high intensity interval training work out program, about 3-4 times a week. I'm a full time student so I give myself a break somedays...I also do my best to squeeze in yoga and 10 minute meditation at least 3-4 times a week. I do think Insanity makes my forehead break out due to the sweat..haven't quite figured out how to fix that yet...But the exercise, if nothing else, replaces the endorphins I was shoving into my face in the form of processed sweets....how I miss those cookies and vegan ice cream...

So there ya have it!! That's my book. I wish you so much luck and love on your journey to clear skin. I know how disheartening and tragic this can seem in the moment. My worst acne has lasted about 6 months and it almost drove me crazy but here's the thing, you have so much more purpose and meaning to who you are than having a clear face. Be kind to yourself. Curl up in a ball and cry and binge watch The Office and treat yourself like a sad child on the days you need to so that you can have the strength to search for what works for you afterward. You got this! I believe in you guys!  

Much love,

My

MemberMember
(@nzchick104)

Posted : 10/13/2017 2:31 am

On 9/27/2017 at 3:41 PM, AcneSurvivor1037 said:

(WARNING THIS IS A BASICALLY A BOOK BUT I HOPE YOU READ IT)

Hi all!

I wanted to spread some hope!! Similar story as y'all - I went off of birth control in January after swearing I would never again put unnatural hormones into my body that stripped me of my libido and caused weight gain (birth control in more ways than advertised if ya catch my drift :@). I had the occasional lady time pimple in high school but never had acne. Ya should have appreciated your skin when you had the chance you naive cube...anyway..a couple months of clear skin later and WABAM I pizza faced like crazy. Each time I got my period I would get more and more cysts. Of course the worst break outs occurred between May and August when I was graduating from college, traveling and starting a new internship. I already suffer from long standing depression, self esteem issues and social anxiety and this was just like the universe confirming my belief that I should live in the middle of the woods as a hermit and write off all human connection forever. Alas, since student loans run my life I could not quit everything and move to the wilderness and paper bags are not socially acceptable. At it's worst I had about 3 or 4 huge, deep, painful cysts on my cheeks, 3 or 4 less pronounced but deeply set cysts on my chin and ears and more cysts sporadically popping up around my forehead and any other face space they could find. I can't tell you how many times I looked in the mirror and thought how much I hated my appearance; how I didn't need yet another reason to criticize myself. I avoided public appearances as much as I could, slathered on make-up and cried over how overwhelming it was frequently. I came so close to starting up a half used bc pack. They don't warn you about this when you start birth control and that is an unforgivable injustice to women.

Sooooo, having sworn not to put more artificialness into my body to mask the symptoms, antibiotics and going back on birth control were not an option. I wanted to find the actual cause and not just trick my body into thinking it was okay again. So I started looking up natural supplements and diet changes. And lo and behold here I am a couple of months later and I am on the fast track to clear skin and HEALTH! I have ONE cyst left on my left cheek, which was my main problem area, one left on my chin, a couple on my ears and forehead but then are quickly healing and it's only been a couple of months! Now just know right now, there was no miracle cure and the journey is going to be painful and puzzling (queue flashback to a Chinese acne facial consisting of needles and squeezing my face off and then having to walk around NYC as scar face)...but if you've suffered through this you already know that and are already stronger than you give yourself credit for! So I tried a TON of things and here is my laundry list of what has worked for me:

1. DIET DIET DIET!!!!! The biggest break through moment in my skin came after I drastically cut back on sugar and cut out gluten. I know, I know, you're all rolling your eyes about the gluten but I don't knock it until you try it! I do however, think sugar has more of a part to play as when I would intake too much sugar too quickly my cysts would literally pulse and hurt. Our daily recommended intake of sugar is 25 grams! At times when I was super stressed I was eating 3-4 times that! No wonder! To put this in perspective, a Kind granola bar contains about half of your daily sugar...chya. Some days I would eat 2 of these just as snacks. Within two weeks of cutting these things out my cheek cysts were disappearing drastically! Keep in mind there is a difference between added sugar and natural. I was already vegan when my acne started so I did not eating dairy and meat. I did start eating more salads, fruits and vegetables. Aside from my acne I feel healthier and ever and have a lot of energy despite not drinking any form of caffeine. Also...I need a drink sometimes..come on..who doesn't. My go to alcoholic beverage at the moment is gin, soda water, and lime. It's actually quite refreshing once you get past the boringness of it..

2. Supplements: I take Yerba Prima Psyllium Husk Fiber Capsules, Maca Root (for hormonal imbalance), and Nature Made Fish Oil Capsules. During my frantic and obsessive acne research I read something about fiber that made sense. It stated that if your digestive system is not working properly, then you are not ridding your body of toxins, which can then re-enter your blood stream and the body tries to get rid of these through some other channel..like ya face. I'm not a derm. or doctor but this just made logical sense. I actually think the fiber capsules are what made the most difference on my chin acne.

3. Daily Wash Yo Face Routine: I currently was twice a day with my miracle worker Oxi Acne Medication 10% b.p. facewash. Again, within days of using this I saw results. I know b.p. is probably not the best for my skin but hey..it works..After washing I don't dry my face. I immediately dab on Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel. I follow this with tea tree oil and then I pierce open a capsule of Barlean's Evening Primrose oil and put it on my remaining cysts. It contains Gamma Lineolic Acid and Lineolic acid which I believe are Omega 6 oils. Within a couple of days of putting these on newer cysts, they are drastically reduced and healing. I then finish off with Yes To Tomato acne moisturizer.

4. Exercise & Meditation: I currently do Insanity, a high intensity interval training work out program, about 3-4 times a week. I'm a full time student so I give myself a break somedays...I also do my best to squeeze in yoga and 10 minute meditation at least 3-4 times a week. I do think Insanity makes my forehead break out due to the sweat..haven't quite figured out how to fix that yet...But the exercise, if nothing else, replaces the endorphins I was shoving into my face in the form of processed sweets....how I miss those cookies and vegan ice cream...

So there ya have it!! That's my book. I wish you so much luck and love on your journey to clear skin. I know how disheartening and tragic this can seem in the moment. My worst acne has lasted about 6 months and it almost drove me crazy but here's the thing, you have so much more purpose and meaning to who you are than having a clear face. Be kind to yourself. Curl up in a ball and cry and binge watch The Office and treat yourself like a sad child on the days you need to so that you can have the strength to search for what works for you afterward. You got this! I believe in you guys!  

Much love,

My

Just letting you know this post has made my week, I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts!! Thank god for ladies like you!!! :)