Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/01/2017 5:54 pm

Day 38

As I'm going into my 6th week on accutane, I'm really starting to see changes in my skin. I'm finally down to the point where I can actually count my pimples because before it was just hundreds of bumps. The most active area on my face is above my cheekbones right now. Still have healing cysts on my forehead and cheeks. I swear these cysts have been around since week 3.

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/03/2017 11:39 pm

Day 40

Spoke too soon!! As cysts on my cheeks are healing I'm also getting a few new tiny bumps on my cheek again =( the bumps that I get are these hard sebum balls or like... keratin plugs. They don't have liquid and usually if I just scratch at it lightly, they come out as a whole and leave a red hole that scabs and falls off. I'm really not sure what causes this type of acne or how to prevent it from happening. My forehead and chin are clear.... for now. I'm going to try to not wear makeup this week and see if it'll help.

Other things I have or have not been experiencing
My lips are dry assss hellllllll. Aquaphor is definitely helping. My left corner of lip is still cracked.
Skin isn't crazy dry, it'd say its normal
RED AS A TOMATO. Look sunburnt 24/7
Haven't had any headaches
Occasionally have pain on my knees when I stand for too long
Haven't noticed any significant hair loss
Haven't experienced dry eyes (I switch back and forth from glasses and contacts)
No change in libido
Been having some weird nightmares lately tho, not sure if its accutane related

Thats all I can think of for now. Any other questions feel free to comment or msg me!

Valerie22 liked
MemberMember
(@accutanerookie)

Posted : 12/05/2017 11:52 pm

I'm on day 45 of accutane, still breaking out too :( I started with the same kinda thing with all the whiteheads, and now my skin is just dotted with bumps and redness everywhere - it's worse than the acne I started with! I'm on 30mg once a day. Hoping it starts to ease up soon. Good luck! 

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/06/2017 8:26 pm

23 hours ago, accutanerookie said:

I'm on day 45 of accutane, still breaking out too :( I started with the same kinda thing with all the whiteheads, and now my skin is just dotted with bumps and redness everywhere - it's worse than the acne I started with! I'm on 30mg once a day. Hoping it starts to ease up soon. Good luck! 

Yeah my skin is definitely red and blotchy >< 

Day 43

I haven't had any whiteheads in a week then they all decided to come at once. My left cheek has about four new whiteheads.. one new one on my right cheek. A little bump I've had between my eyes that I've had for months is looking like it wants to be a big pimple. =( Hopefully it'll just be a regular pimple instead of a under the skin cyst. Going into my 7th week a little sad but at least my forehead and chin have remained clear. I almost finished my first aquaphor lip therapy tube lol. I think I'm slowly getting off the initial breakout period. Even though I'm still breaking out, its definitely not as bad as my first few weeks. 

Now I for sure feel that my skin is thinning. I scratched my chest normally because there was an itch, and it became a rash. I rarely put that much pressure on it too. Also, I wore wedges today and was bleeding on the back of my foot.

MemberMember
(@accutanerookie)

Posted : 12/06/2017 10:31 pm

2 hours ago, Accutane123456 said:
Yeah my skin is definitely red and blotchy ><

Day 43

I haven't had any whiteheads in a week then they all decided to come at once. My left cheek has about four new whiteheads.. one new one on my right cheek. A little bump I've had between my eyes that I've had for months is looking like it wants to be a big pimple. =( Hopefully it'll just be a regular pimple instead of a under the skin cyst. Going into my 7th week a little sad but at least my forehead and chin have remained clear. I almost finished my first aquaphor lip therapy tube lol. I think I'm slowly getting off the initial breakout period. Even though I'm still breaking out, its definitely not as bad as my first few weeks.

Now I for sure feel that my skin is thinning. I scratched my chest normally because there was an itch, and it became a rash. I rarely put that much pressure on it too. Also, I wore wedges today and was bleeding on the back of my foot.

omg it sounds like your dryness is crazy! my lips have been the only moderately dry symptom... but yeah, my skin has been so blotchy. I'm so bad with picking at my zits though, and right now it's coming back to bite me because that's probably a big contributor to the redness considering how sensitive my skin is right now. It's also super painful, like not necessarily a zit but just a whole area of my face will feel painful and itchy or like rashy almost.
I hate wearing sweaters or necklines that might brush my chin or jawline because it's so sensitive. my whole face (minus my forehead really) is so bumpy I hate washing it! Really hoping it starts to calm down soon... I think we'll be ok if we make it through this month!

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/06/2017 11:03 pm

25 minutes ago, accutanerookie said:
omg it sounds like your dryness is crazy! my lips have been the only moderately dry symptom... but yeah, my skin has been so blotchy. I'm so bad with picking at my zits though, and right now it's coming back to bite me because that's probably a big contributor to the redness considering how sensitive my skin is right now. It's also super painful, like not necessarily a zit but just a whole area of my face will feel painful and itchy or like rashy almost.
I hate wearing sweaters or necklines that might brush my chin or jawline because it's so sensitive. my whole face (minus my forehead really) is so bumpy I hate washing it! Really hoping it starts to calm down soon... I think we'll be ok if we make it through this month!

Its hard not to pick!! Especially when the pimple is SO READY TO BE POPPED!! D; When I do it, I extract it after I shower and then dab a little bit of neosporin on it. Even though my skin is red and ugly now, I'm so grateful for this dry skin honestly. From having such oily disgusting greasy skin and scalp.. to dry is such a blessing to me.

MemberMember
(@accutanerookie)

Posted : 12/07/2017 1:37 am

2 hours ago, Accutane123456 said:
Its hard not to pick!! Especially when the pimple is SO READY TO BE POPPED!! D; When I do it, I extract it after I shower and then dab a little bit of neosporin on it. Even though my skin is red and ugly now, I'm so grateful for this dry skin honestly. From having such oily disgusting greasy skin and scalp.. to dry is such a blessing to me.

do you find that the neosporin helps w the healing/redness?

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/07/2017 2:24 pm

12 hours ago, accutanerookie said:
15 hours ago, Accutane123456 said:

do you find that the neosporin helps w the healing/redness?

It find it helps it not leave a scab, making a spot less noticeable.

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/09/2017 1:13 am

Day 45

I was actually SO happy with my skin today. My face may be red as a tomato but its a lot less bumpy! My brother even told me my face cleared up a lot. Any person with acne or just bad skin in general KNOW THAT FEELING WHEN SOMEONE COMPLIMENTS YOU ON YOUR SKIN IMPROVING ITS LIKE UGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!! Right now I only have one active cyst on my face, which is the one I posted about earlier thats between my eyes. I have like just two tiny other pimples BUT IDC BECAUSE ITS ONLY TWO. Still have healing cysts but they're all almost flat. I honestly believe not wearing any face makeup this week has helped my skin so much

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/12/2017 6:09 pm

Day 49

Breakouts have definitely slowed down! My forehead has only one pimple near my hairline, first new one in 2 weeks. The right side of my face has been so smooth. My chin has been clear. The left side of my face still gets a new little bump occasionally. So far so good aside from my super red face that people keep pointing out 

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/20/2017 12:24 am

Day 56

Skins been pretty well except for the left side of my face and I'm not sure why? Still getting these tiny little bumps on my left cheek. Right cheek and chin has remained clear. Forehead had a giant whitehead that just popped in the shower when I was washing my face. My skin still isn't that dry. Feels normal. Definitely feel some aching on my knees this past week I'm not sure why. Lips have been sooooo dry especially since the weathers been so cold lately. Just hoping for the day I wake up with absolutely no active pimples on my face

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 12/30/2017 7:18 pm

Day 67

Been awhile since I gave an update. I had an end of my second month checkup on 12/21 Thursday. My derm upped my 20mg to 30mg a day. So far, skin is completely clear =) no active acne. Best way to start 2018! 10th week has been a blessing on my skin. Absolutely no bumps and my skin is sooo smooth. I've honestly never felt this happy in a long time. Skin is still red and scarred but when I have makeup on, I feel so much more confident knowing that there aren't any bumps or texture!

Lindzzzz liked
MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 01/06/2018 12:45 pm

Day 74

Well unfortunately I've been experiencing bloody stools. Bright red. I called my Derm yesterday to let her know and she immediately told me to quit accutane for now until I make an app with my primary doctor to get it checked out

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/06/2018 3:13 pm

4 hours ago, Accutane123456 said:
Day 74

Well unfortunately I've been experiencing bloody stools. Bright red. I called my Derm yesterday to let her know and she immediately told me to quit accutane for now until I make an app with my primary doctor to get it checked out

Please immediately stop this drug! Accutane can mess up your gut permanently. Blood in stool is extremelyserious, and you coudl develop Crohn's, IBS, or other very bad things.

Whatever they tell you, do not go back on this if you had blood in stool. Do not even consider it.

Like you, I seemed to mostly manage, until 4 months into drug, I had very severe effects,dizzyiness, ataxia, rapid muscle weakening. Since stopping I am improving.

Your basic bloodwork could be fine, and yet you could be extremely ill.

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 01/08/2018 8:55 pm

On 1/6/2018 at 0:13 PM, fiksi said:
Please immediately stop this drug! Accutane can mess up your gut permanently. Blood in stool is extremelyserious, and you coudl develop Crohn's, IBS, or other very bad things.

Whatever they tell you, do not go back on this if you had blood in stool. Do not even consider it.

Like you, I seemed to mostly manage, until 4 months into drug, I had very severe effects,dizzyiness, ataxia, rapid muscle weakening. Since stopping I am improving.

Your basic bloodwork could be fine, and yet you could be extremely ill.

Hey! I do appreciate the feedback and your concern. I got a check up. Everything is fine, doctors have no worries of me continuing on with the course. It was just a fissure and its healing fine right now. I remember feeling a bit constipated last week, which probably resulted in the fissure. But so far, I have no bowel problems, no bloating, no dizziness or anything. I let my derm know this morning, and she's giving me the ok to continue on with the treatment. At any time if I feel worried its going to get worse, I'll for sure let her know because we have a great relationship and I trust her a lot. If she thought it wasn't a good idea to continue, she would let me know immediately to quit.

Day 76

Will be continuing my treatment with more water and fiber intake! I've been slacking lately

Skin is doing well still but a few small superficial bumps right now on my jawline. Could just be hormonal because its almost the time of the month

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 01/22/2018 12:57 am

Day 89 

Since my last scare with the fissure, I've been continuing my 30mg dosage and my body's been handling it well. Skin is still clear which I'm so happy about. Still breakout a little, about a pimple once a week. Maybe even less. They go away pretty fast and haven't had a cyst in weeks. Usually a whitehead that dries and flakes off on its own. It's just been so nice to not worry about what I'm eating so much or how a certain lighting in a room would emphasize my acne. My skin is still quite red though

My lips and nostrils are sooo dry. I still haven't experienced nose bleeds yet and I'm crossing my fingers that i won't have any at all. For my lips I've just been using aquaphor day and night. As for my skin, it isn't super dry still. 

Tomorrow will be my 3rd month derm appointment :) 

Lindzzzz liked
MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 02/05/2018 2:59 pm

Day 104

So lets see.. I'm about 3.5 months done so far. I forgot to mention that I had styes reappearing sometimes. Especially in January, I was getting one after another. They aren't painful but do bother me. I haven't gotten one in about two weeks. I've read that some people on accutane will experience this due to dry eyes.

I haven't had any cysts or pimples. occasionally get a clogged pore but its never becomes inflamed and red. My skin isn't dry or flakey. I would consider it normal. It does look dull though. My bones have been cracking a lot. I started working out again and I already notice how weak I've gotten. Still have a bunch of scars that are fading REALLLLYYY SLOWLY.

Current skincare routine-
AM: wash with aquanil cleanser
cerave facial moisturizer AM with spf
PM: DHC cleansing oil
wash with aquanil cleanser
magnolia orchid jelly mask (amazing night mask!!)

Lindzzzz liked
MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 02/13/2018 8:04 pm

Day 112

I think I'm having another random initial breakout lol. No inflamed cysts but a surge of tiny clogged pores around my cheeks. Lips are DRY AS A DESERT

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 02/25/2018 10:51 pm

Day 124

Officially just finished my 4th month on accutane! I asked my derm why I was still getting these tiny little clogged pores and she said its just dry skin cells collecting in that pore. She said to leave them alone and they'll go away, which she was right about. In a week they completely disappear! It was just weird to me because I was so used to being scared every time I noticed a bump because they end up becoming a huge cyst! So other than the two clogged pores i have right now.. I'm happy to say I am clear! 

What sucks is that I still get the occasional stye :/ the dry skin and lips I can deal with, but the styes really feel uncomfortable every time I blink. 

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 03/14/2018 8:40 pm

Day 141

I was just going to say the styes have completely stopped since I last posted lol, but I just got two new ones today. This is probably the one side effect I've experienced that I'm not sure if anybody else has.

My skin thoo.. I don't care that I get the occasional bump. they are so minor.. not even inflamed. Accutane is the best thing I've ever done. I'm so happy with my skin and how soft it feels. I actually get excited to wash my face and feel how smooth it is. I've been getting so much compliments which is just so weird to me because nobody has ever complimented my skin better. That fact that people even notice it just makes me happy. I feel good because its like FINALLY something works. Something in this world can help treat my acne that I've tried a decade to get rid of. After all those years of receiving unwanted skincare advice from people who never even had a pimple in their life. I finally feel like I can just live my life and not have this constant worry in the back of my head that my skin is looking shitty. I'm still on 30mg and have my 5th month appointment next week. My course is going to be 7 months long and I can't wait for the next two months to see how my skin is going to transform even more.

If you guys haven't already. I highly recommend checking out the accutane subreddit page. I go on that whenever I can and its just nice to have another community of people on accutane to ask questions and be more informed.

MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 03/15/2018 9:50 pm

I'm so happy it's working out for you!! I never saw your log for some reason 

MemberMember
(@accutane123456)

Posted : 03/16/2018 6:41 pm

20 hours ago, dw75 said:

I'm so happy it's working out for you!! I never saw your log for some reason 

i didn't know there was a page dedicated to accutane logs haha and now its too late to move it.