Notifications
Clear all

Going back on Accutane - 4yrs Later (log w/pics)

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/28/2017 7:42 pm

Day 77: Three active pimples right now. Two on both sides of my lips and one on the side of my face. Just when I thought I was clearing up, more pop up.  Using more lotion quickly cleared up the dry thing on my hands.

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 04/02/2017 2:56 pm

Day 82: Yup still getting pimples. Havent cleared yet, smh. I go back to see my dermatologist on Tuesday. 

IMG_7092.JPG

IMG_7097.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 04/04/2017 12:32 pm

Day 84: I went to my derm today. She was surprised to see the inflamed pimple on my cheek and the other spots on my face. She said by now I should be clearing and not having as many new ones.

The one on my cheek has been throbbing and is really inflamed. She actually suggested a cortisone shot to make it go down and put me on antibiotics for ten days. This was my first time getting a cortisone shot. Im feeling pretty down I mean it looks terrible and birthday is like a wek and a half a way. It has gone down a bit since the shot but the redness is still there. The first pic of the one on my cheek was from yesterday. The second pic below was taken like 4 hrs after she gave me the shot.  

Oh, she also changed my dose to 80mg. Ill start taking that dose in six days. Since my skin hasnt been drying as much she said to go back to using Aczone everyday, unless my skin cant tolerate it anymore.  This sucks  

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

IMG_7383.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 04/08/2017 6:59 pm

Day 88: That cortisone shot helped so much. Its still raised but looks so much better that it did this past Monday. 

IMG_7365.JPG

IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7377.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 04/16/2017 10:02 pm

Day 96: I got a small cyst on each side of my lips since I last posted. They are healing up, still red and peeling a bit. There is still a bump on my cheek from the cyst that I got a cortisone shot for. At least it aint red. 

IMG_7932.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 04/22/2017 11:17 pm

Day 103: Still taking 80mg of absorica. Weirdly enough the eye dryness has gotten better. I had a pimple pop up under my chin a few days ago. It left a red spot. The cyst I had (the one that I got a cortisone shot on) left a bump that doesnt seem to want to go away. At least it isn't red so that's a positive. I still got the two bumps on the side of my lips but those have really gone down but remain pinkish. Overall things are going well. 

IMG_8176.JPG

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/01/2017 7:19 am

Loving your log. Im thinking of going back on accutane a second time as well.

Do you mind me asking, how was your first accutane experience:

• did you have an initial break out, if so when did it start and how long did it last
  • how long did it take for you to clear on your first round
MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 05/01/2017 1:04 pm

Day 111: I have got two pimples above my neck/under my chin during this past week. One has healed up the other just came out on Saturday. My face is doing good though. Just a little red. No new pimples on face. Ugh when will the raised bump on my cheek go away from the last cyst I got? Its been a month now. Sigh, well I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow. 

IMG_8624.JPG

IMG_8627.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8639.JPG

5 hours ago, JDtane said:

Loving your log. Im thinking of going back on accutane a second time as well.

Do you mind me asking, how was your first accutane experience:

• did you have an initial break out, if so when did it start and how long did it last
  • how long did it take for you to clear on your first round

Thank you! I just hope to help other people get an idea what to expect not to mention for me to keep track of how things are progressing. Yea I had an initial breakout last time too and I think it was worst than what I got this second course. It happened two months in. Then randomly when i switched to 80mg at the five months mark I ended up breaking out pretty bad on one side of my cheek. I didnt clear until the final month my first go around. The oil came back within a month of stopping accutane. 

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 05/10/2017 8:04 pm

Day 122: Things are going well. My derm kept me on 80mg for month five. Havent had any new pimples. Only issue I have is flaking around the corners of my lips. And the skin on my lips is thinner. Oh and the bump that was left by the cyst on my cheek is still there. I want it gone!

IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9191.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 05/23/2017 9:35 pm

Day 132: Still on 80mg. One pill in the morning and the other at night.  Cyst bump is still here but it has gone down. No new pimples. Only side effects I continue with is the occasional flaking around the corners of my lips. I use aquaphor at night. Then during the day I stay with blistex chapstick. Use it several times a day. My eye dryness isnt bad at all. Some days I wake up and I have no eye dryness. Still wear my contacts. So excited, ill be done with accutane in 45 days. I see my derm for my last prescription next week. She said she is gonna bump me down to 60mg. 

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 05/31/2017 6:53 pm

Day 140: Saw my dermatologist today. She decided to keep me on 80mg for my sixth and last month on Absorica. I was surprised since last month she said she was going to drop me to 60mg. She said my skin isnt where she wants it to be by now and wants to make sure my acne doesn't come back. Im cool with it. She also gave me a cortisone shot in the bump I have on my cheek. She looked at it and said that it has gone down but expected it to be gone by now. She says there is still stuff in it so she gave me a drop of cortisone to hopefully flatten it. We shall see. 

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 06/20/2017 6:03 pm

Day 160: So in 20 days I will be done taking Absorica.  Since my last post things have been good. Havent got any new pimples and I am pretty much clear. The pimple on my cheek that I got the two cortisone shots for has a dent. It's noticeable and sucks but what can you do? I still have have dry lips. I stay on top of using the blistex chapstick (or burts bees) during the day and slathering on aquaphor at night and im good. No cracking. I sometimes wake up to dry eyes but it isnt too bad. Went on vacation and got a tan. Got sun burn on my nose even thiugh I used so much sun block and reapplied every three hours. You can kinda see my nose is peeling.  So happy im almost done but afraid the oily skin will return when I go off of it like last time. 

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

MemberMember
(@leahh0805)

Posted : 06/20/2017 6:09 pm

in all honesty in all your pics your acne really isn't that badthere are a couple breakouts here and therebut again..not too bad

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 06/20/2017 6:24 pm

16 minutes ago, leahh0805 said:

in all honesty in all your pics your acne really isn't that bad¦there are a couple breakouts here and there¦but again..not too bad

Yup I agree but im 32 and I started breaking out more and more often even though I was on tazorac since coming off my first round of accutane. I have seen the same derm since I was 21 so she knows my skin well and she felt it was best I go back on. These pics were from before I started accutane the first time. So I know it wasnt that bad this time but having regular breakouts at 32 will really kill your self esteem and confidence. 

IMG_3653.PNG

MemberMember
(@leahh0805)

Posted : 06/20/2017 6:29 pm

well I'm turning 40 and i still break out :/   but i mostly get front neck acne..it jus started several months ago¦ have u had that before? if so, what do u recommend? that area on front neck is really sensitive. I've tried bp but it irritates it. i can use bp on face but not neck area. its frustrating..my neck was fine till around winter up to present. and btw¦i never wash my neck..its been many yrs and it looked great before..i haven't changed anything so idk what it is.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 06/20/2017 7:00 pm

So you understand my pain with adult acne!!! I started breaking out on my chest and back this past November. Hadnt had that since I was 26. That's why I she put me back on accutane since my acne was getting worst everywhere. On my neck i havent had much. Like once or twice. My derm said that chin and neck area acne is more hormonal and said that spironolactone was something I could try after accutane if I flared up in that area again.What have you used.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 07/06/2017 8:26 pm

Day 175: So my second course of accutane is coming to an end. I have 5 days left. I been on 80mg the last three months. Since being on accutane I had minimal flaking or peeling. My skin has faired wel. As of recently my face has started becoming oily again. It's not crazy oily but how does the oil come back when i been on accutane for 6 months. I take my pills at the same time in the morning and the afternoon. I have not missed a day. My dermatologist just saw me and said "you don't look like someone that is on accutane." She pretty much said to start back on Tazorac after accutane. I mean I havent had a pimple in a long time but the oil coming back has me disappointed. Like how does that happen? I used Cervae Hydrating Wash in the morning and then the Cervae lotion. It's disappointing. Happy to be coming off accutane but this oil reappearing has me down. I'm afraid things will return to what they were before accutane and regular pimples will start popping up. In regards to side effects. I only have the dry lips but it isnt bad at all. Sometimes I wake up to dry eyes. I still wear my contacts though. 

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 07/13/2017 12:07 pm

So I took my last pill of Absorica 80mg this past Monday July 9, 2017! Im glad it's over. When do the side effects go away? I have still been waking up with the dry eyes. The dryness on the corners of my mouth is still there. Im hoping it goes away ASAP. 

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG