Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane (isotretinoin)

MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 06/08/2016 5:42 am

Hello again,

Thanks ladies for not judging meJ. I just dont want to start the whole process shortly after I finish the treatment. Im aware of the fact that I may need a second course sooner or later but Id rather do it later. I will definitely speak to the doctor and ask for the extra month. We will see what she says. My acne was mild but persistent so she thinks that lower cumulative dosage should be enough. I got 90 pills 20 mg each from my friend just in case J. My plan is to reach higher cumulative dosage which is 7500 mg in my case and start reducing the dosage. Basically I still want to take 20 mg of Accutane every day or every other day for a month or two after I reach my higher cumulative dosage.

Ladies get the non-hormonal coil! Its just my opinion but I think its amazing! Had my first one fitted for 5 years, took it out for a month and had another one fitted in November for 10 years.

CNA7 I think its a smart decision to stop birth control in your last month. You dont want to deal with hormonal breakouts after finishing Accutane and stopping BC at the same time. That would be horrible.

Sofia I know the feeling when you keep checking your face for any signs of spots. I do the same thingJ. Also, I went to the gym last Friday with no makeup and I was so happy. My face got soooo red after exercising but I really didnt mind.

Sofiabbbx liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 06/09/2016 4:06 pm

I am so glad you are doing well Sofia! I wish I hadn't done the birth control pills -- I may end up quitting them during treatment... I just dont know what to do. I am at a loss here! I worry that if I do break out now, my skin is so fragile and thin it would be disastrous :( I have googled this very questions, getting off birth control after accutane and there isn't much on it... just that yes some women break out again but most dont. But that doesnt really help me! LOL. 

MemberMember
(@sofiabbbx)

Posted : 06/10/2016 3:28 am

Hi cna7

right so so my experience...as u all know this all happened due to the implant.
i was put on Yasmin in December as my doctor didn't want me on abx anymore and that's when my skin blew up SOO badly that they decided isotretinoin was my only option.
started on 20mg continuing on my pill and skin was okish the first month. I came off my Yasmin in week 3, then week 4 had my dose increased to 30mg and my skin went crazy again.

not sure if it was the dose increase or coming of the pill and was a hard month but now settled. The breakout did last 4 weeks.

i completely understand where ur coming from wanting to come off the pill as I felt the exact same therefore took myself off it.

understandably your skin will be fragile etc but tbh the way I look at it is I'd rather come off with a back up (ie isotretinoin) then risk it when my course has finished and be back to square one with my skin!

obv I'm just giving an example from how I feel and everyone is different.

hope that helps! Xx

MemberMember
(@sofiabbbx)

Posted : 06/25/2016 3:22 am

Hi guys,

how is everyone?? Not much to report my end apart from bit confused....last time I saw my doc she said she wanted to wean me off the drug and then 2 days ago she said she needs to dramatically increase my dose so I don't have to be on it much longer?! Apparently you need to have a certain total mg which is obv calculated from your body weight. So my symptoms (of which at present I have zero symptoms and zero spots, been on 30mg just started month 4) are going to go mental!!!

whTs everyone else's experience? How is everyone getting on?!

xxx

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 06/29/2016 12:04 pm

Hey girl! Just checking in too! I have been on 40mg twice a day now for 3 weeks (so 80mg a day) and I have noticed an increase in dryness (not much though), definitely still achy, and I have also had some aggression (for no reason) a few times in the last couple of weeks... randomly feeling angry. She must be confused with another patient she is treating -- but yes, it is important to get enough of the medication in your system before going off treatment, otherwise the chances for a relapse and second round of accutane are higher. Based on my height and weight 60mg would've been good for me, but I opted to go up to 80mg to really kick it!

My skin is doing well, zero spots except a clogged pore here or there -- which dries up and is gone within a few days. Some dry skin patches on my body and a few spots on my chin. But all in all, no complaints other than the achiness over here!

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 07/11/2016 3:50 pm

How is everyone doing?! I assume good since it's been quiet here. x.

MemberMember
(@sofiabbbx)

Posted : 07/11/2016 4:42 pm

Hiya CNA7! Soo happy you're doing well! Just came on to check too! For me- zero spots and zero red marks. Literally nightmare complete! However still nervous it could come back when I finish. Now waiting for huge dose increase to finish accumulative dose then see what symptoms I'll get!

how is everyone doing? Xx

MemberMember
(@josh15)

Posted : 07/13/2016 10:59 pm

you all are so beautiful by your profile pictures! You really don't have anything to worry about in my eyes!

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@sofiabbbx)

Posted : 07/20/2016 12:30 pm

Haha very sweet Josh!

Right so update, and I don't think I'll have one in a while as went to my doctor today for my 5th appt (to start month 5.)

she has given me the complete dose of what I need to take to finish. So I can take 60mg a day now for 2.5 months or 40 a day for 4 months. Once I have finished all the tablets I have I am done!

Pharmacy were here a bit angry as said I needed monthly bloods and pregnancy test still but she over-ruled it and my next appointment is in 4 months!

i am going to start with 60, see how I get on with my symptoms and maybe decrease to 40 if they are bad but if not that's it.

how is everyone? I'll keep checking but won't post unless my symptoms get really bad.

So for now goodbye, thank you to all of you for AMAZING support, this groups has been soooo good for my journey!

sending all my love to everyone xxxxxx Sofia

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 07/20/2016 12:45 pm

So happy to hear things are going well Sofia! I just happened to check in right when you posted this. I think you will do just fine on the 60mg! I am so excited for you to be done. Don't stress too much about the future; we must feel grateful and live in the moment now :) I am doing well, doing just fine on 80mg - some minor texture issues, but that's about all :) Fatigue is a new side effect for me on the 80mg. I am going back to California this weekend and its going to be 100F! Ugh, my skin will prob be very dry.... bracing for it...! 

Cheers to clear skin my friend. x. 

Sofiabbbx liked
MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 08/02/2016 5:27 am

Hi all,

Wow I havent been here in a whileJ. Its probably because I dont remember the last time I had a spot/cyst/zit. I feel great and Im so happy I decided to go ahead with starting roaccutane.

My doctor wanted me to do a 5 month course and finish once I reach my lower cumulative dosage which is 6000 mg. I was so lucky to see a different dermatologist yesterday. She agreed on me doing an extra month on 50 mg per day which means I will reach my higher cumulative dosage of 7500 mg. I was so happy to hear that. Starting my 6th and last month soon J

Im happy for both of you ladies. It seems like youre happy with the results as well. Blood tests, pregnancy tests, appointments and getting prescription etc is a hassle I know. Its all worth it though right? J

Day 141 for me.no spots J. My skin is dryyy, my lips are dryy my hair is dryyy J. Also, it took me 2 weeks to get over a very bad cold I had. Having a cold in summer plus being on roaccutane at the same time is not fun. I literally thought I was dying. It was also very hot in London and that didnt help. Ive got my follow up appointment with the dermatologist on the 14th of November

Take care ladies. Sending you my positive vibes J

Maggie

Sofiabbbx liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 08/25/2016 1:53 pm

Hi Everyone!
It has been a while since I have posted, sorry about that! I am in my 6th month of treatment, and it will be my last for this course. Honestly, I would go longer if I could, but my derm. said no. He said I would need to at least take 2 months off, and then start up again for another course of treatment, if needed. I still get a pimple here and there, and actually have had a small bump on my chin since June. Its like a little knot underneath the skin, and it's slightly red....and some days it's more noticeable and apparent then others. It's weird. I was kind of hoping for that to be gone by now, especially since I am in my last month of treatment. All other side effects are manageable and haven't been too annoying. I will say I do have some hyper-pigmentation and scarring, which my derm. has already mentioned he'd like to treat. When I find out more I will post an update on here. He's also going to put me on Retina. I am still taking 80mg/day. These past 5 months have flown by, and I am glad I did it.

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 09/29/2016 2:06 pm

Hi everyone!!!
Well, I've already taken my last pill and I was absolutely freaking out because that was it.....no more. I've relied on this medicationed to get rid of my acne, and now its the unknown as to whether the medication actually did its job in healing me from acne for a short time or for a long time. Only time will tell. Let me know how your journeys are going. I dont regret taking the medication one bit. I would do it again if need be.

MemberMember
(@sofiabbbx)

Posted : 09/30/2016 12:10 pm

Hi Kimmy!! Ahhhhh how is your skin looking???

well KEEP POSITIVE! It's an amazing drug and I'm sure you will be fine, never any harm in having a second course!

im still on 40mg, meant to be on 60 but couldn't handle th side effects!

my skin is completely fine and...I've been drinking, sunbathing (with factor 50), the lot with no repercussions...naughty I know but everything's fine with me.

i have zero spots but when my skin gets dry an peels it leaves a little red mark that looks a bit like one but isn't...if you know what I mean!

I will be finished next month woop woop!!

let me know how u get on Hun! Xxxx

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 11/16/2016 4:47 pm

Hope you all are doing well, I am weaning off slowly as prescribed by my derm - every other day 40mg and then next month every other day 20mg... Done Feb 7th!

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/10/2017 3:10 pm

Hey lovelies! I am officially post accutane - dealing with some clogged pores on my forehead and cheeks (which is unusal for me) and my skin was so flawless on accutane. i am worried! but hopeful this is just a transition phase. How are you all doing?

MemberMember
(@smiles23)

Posted : 02/25/2017 11:29 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind that I am joining this convo, not sure if you guys ever check back in but I wanted to know how it went for you all?! Thanks a lot for all the information you all provided for each month, gives me a lot of hope as I begin my tane journey (day 3 today). I hope you are all away enjoying your clear skin :)

I'm starting low at 20 mg a day as I am very nervous about side effects, took me so much research and a very long time to decide to go onto this medication. Still not thrilled it came to this point, but I am really eager for the results it provides :) we all come to the point of enough is enough right?

CNA7, gorgeous profile pic!! hope thats my skin in a few months yay :) how are things working out for you post accutane? I saw you mention early in the post that you have gut issues... so do I which makes me a bit more concerned about taking accutane, did you find it made your gut worse? I have movement in my gut (gurgling gas type thing) frequently but I notice it more after I have dairy (which I've cut out) or before I've eaten.... I'm worried cause I heard it can make IBS worse. I finished a two weeks antibiotic streak a month ago for an infection so I think its upset my gut again. My diet is full of probio pills and fermented foods so Im hoping I'm covered...

Oh! and I've heard of eminence!! haven't tried though, really want too... was the regimen you used nourishing enough for the dry skin? May have to order some. I also am keeping a religious stock of waxelene for my lips hehe...

Thanks!! :) 

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/08/2017 4:54 pm

Hi smiles23! 

I hope your journey so far on accutane has been a good one! Thank you for your sweet compliment - a photo taken a few years back when I had "normal" skin :P how I wish I could back to those days. I am officially 4 weeks post accutane and disappointed say that I developed a cystic spot near the side of my nose :( It's been pretty depressing tbh. My derm immediately prescribed Atralin (retin-a) as a form of maintenance for my skin. Basically accutane as a topical. The accutane journey was rewarding, zero blemishes, and newfound confidence! The worst I experienced were the body/bone/muscle aches, fatigue, some headaches, and confusion. My gut did just fine during treatment. I've been taking Cal-Mag citrate in liquid form for awhile now and that helps me a lot. I am still using Eminence, their stone crop line which was amazing while on accutane. My skin was dry but nothing like some people get! I highly recommend Vaniply ointment as well - the best product for lips! I was able to wear lipstick just fine during treatment if I had that on first, in conjunction with Dr. Dans Cortibalm. 

Other than this one random cyst... I hope the topical kills it off and its just a fluke! You can get more details on my journey via Instagram if youd like: [Removed personal information]

xx.