Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane (isotretinoin)

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/09/2016 3:17 pm

That's smart girl...that stuff is expensive, so that's nice they offer smaller sizes to try it out. I feel just as insecure with a bandaide on..I feel like its bringing even more attention to it. I have a question because sometimes this happens and I never know why. So TMI but after you get the cyst somewhat drained, do you ever have a lump still there? I'm sure its got to be somewhat inflammation, or your body fighting off the bacteria?!? I know its going to scar and leave hyperpigmentation at this point, but I really don't care as long as it goes away.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/09/2016 5:09 pm

Usually if there is still a bump in there even after you drain it, its the sac of the cyst... which means that although you got a lot of the gunk out and inflammation, the sac is still in there and can lie dormant for days, weeks, or even years sometimes. But since your on accutane, the cyst might swell up again in the coming days and you'll prob have to get an injection or let the thing run its course. Bad news... my little zit is now a small cyst :( ugh ugh ugh. Since I already went in for a shot this week I'll hope this one goes away with accutanes help aaaaand I'll hid in my house all week long... I am lucky because I work from home! Have you tried taking Tylenol for your cysts? They help with the pain and inflammation too. 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/09/2016 6:21 pm

Dang...its like the third time where I've written something and it got deleted...anyways, I have always used Advil or IB profin...but it didn't help. I threw some tea tree oil, basitracin, and hydrocortisone on it and threw a band aide over it because I was tired of looking at it. My derms. Office finally called me back. Its too late for me to get an injection now (I'm assuming ) because I've already picked the crap out of it.I'm an impulsive picker...def. Not my finest quality. Are you talking about the one you had injected recently by your derm? I pray mine flattens out. Even when I lift my eyebrows up and down I can feel it. Wont it be nice when we look back in 6 months and hopefully not ever have to go through with this again:(

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/09/2016 10:51 pm

I hear ya on the skin picking; the urge is definitely there. This is a diff cyst, not the one I got injected on Monday :( so now we are fighting the same battle! Lol. I have a hydrocolloid bandage on it but I hope the accutane helps it tonight when I take my pill. One thing I know for sure is that we do need to learn to stop picking at our skin because accutane does and will make our skin much more fragile and more prone to scarring... It's so hard to not pop these cysts but I know it's only going to make the situation worse in the long run :( I so hope we will be at a different and better place in 6 months! And acne will be a thing of the past! Then 6 months later I can get laser for my scars and start trying for a baby again! That would be so so great. And less anxiety and no more depression. I am so hopeful for us my friend. <3 

MemberMember
(@briannarae)

Posted : 03/10/2016 1:19 am

Thank you so much!! I didn't get a chance to eat a full meal today so I will be starting it tomorrow! I appreciate you guys being so kind and welcoming to me. I'm nervous but I'm ready for the acne to be gone. I let in control my life when it shouldn't- i don't even leave my bedroom without makeup. Simple things like jumping in the water or sleeping with someone else in the room I can't do because of this. I know- nobody gets why I let it this control me  so much. I am  definitely all I know  prepared for the dry skin haha. I'm a bit worried about my skin getting worse though as I am so self-confidence either. My skin is my biggest insecurity. I can't wait to journey through this and hopefully come out happier and healthy. :) 

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/10/2016 1:11 pm

Hey Cristine Im sorry to hear that:( I know the accutane is not going to work overnight, but even if it were to stop the cysts from forming this early on in treatment i would be like the happiest girl in the world! Trying not to be so negative today. The suns out and its warmer outside and thoughts of Spring just around the corner are my happy thoughts today. I went to my moms group this morning, and wore the bandaide. Im proud of myself because normally i would just not go. And im back home and i survived, so thats good. How are you doing today??

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/10/2016 1:40 pm

Hey Brianna, as I was reading your post I thought to myself I could of written the same exact thing you did...I can completely relate to you. Have you started your treatment yet? I will be using this forum until I complete my journey, if you ever need support I'm here, as I'm sure many others on here are as well. We'll get through this:)

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/10/2016 6:33 pm

This cyst hurts like a MF! It's terrible... HOW DO THESE HAPPEN... virtually over night or within hours. It's crazy. I seriously wish you lived in Seattle Kimmy (you dont right?!) lol, because I was able to get in again for another injection this morning. But its still really painful and red right now. It even formed a little white head on top now... That I so desperately want to pop but know I absolutely shouldnt especially since the cortisone is doing its thing. If the accutane could work over night that would be amazing...! LOL. I do know though that once your skin does start improving, I've read it does so very drastically! So I can't wait for that! How are you feeling this afternoon? Side effects? All is well I hope!

Brianna, I can totally relate as well. I tend to cancel plans and hid in my house, especially when I have a gnarly cyst! Aka today. So this weekend will be spent at home, hiding away, and feeling sorry for my husband who has to deal with me on a daily basis...! Ha. Luckily he likes chilling at home on the weekends and he's a pretty relax guy. He's been especially kind during these past few months and taking care of me when I have anxiety attacks about my skin. I've been dealing with acne for 10+ years but never this severe (cystic) and it's taken such a toll on me the last few months that I knew I needed help learning how to cope with these things mentally. I actually started seeing a therapist -- so many of us with acne isolate ourselves and strive for perfection when it comes to our skin (and most other things in our lives.) There definitely is a psychological aspect to acne. I felt pretty embarrassed when I first sat down with my therapist and told her I felt like I was "loosing control" (physically and emotionally) but apparently its really fairly common (as it relates to acne) and its actually a type of body dsymporhic disorder. So I am working on it, everyday, to put myself in uncomfortable situations to break the toxic cycle of isolation (and Kimmy you did that today so kuddos to you!)... But some days are harder than others and I don't always win the battle.

I hope acne will soon become a distant memory for us.

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/10/2016 7:35 pm

Lol, no, but I wish I did..we're Seahawk fans!! Have you heard of MarissaLace? She's a youtuber, has suffered from cystic acne, and she so happens to be in Seattle. Small world:) I ordered those bandaides today, I could have desperately used them like 6 days ago, but at least I'll have them for the future:) I've been putting on a bandaide during the day and taking it off during the night, its still very noticeable and hurts when I move my forehead....wish I could fast forward the healing process. Although my face is still oily as ever I am having some side effects. My knees and back are sore, my throat is sore, and my lips are dry. Ive had to apply lip balm all day, drink lots of water, and use throat drops. At least I know now that it's working. My husband is really kind and understanding as well. I know he's got to be tired of me constantly talking about my skin, but he's been so patient with me as well. We'll be hanging out around the house this weekend too:) A day closer to clear (er) skin.....

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/10/2016 8:36 pm

Glad you ordered the bandages! My cyst hurts too. My husband won't be home till late tonight so I'm trying to let my skin breath before I cover anything up before he gets home! Lol.  Well at least we can have each other available this weekend to vent to one another lmao! :) I did have a dry throat one day over the weekend but it went away. I've heard some peoples side effects come and go...! So I hope yours go and don't stick around. My lips feel tingly when I'm not wearing my vaniply ointment so I've been wearing it all day everyday... Hopefully this ointment will keep me ahead of the epic dryness. Sigh. One day at a time... 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/10/2016 11:02 pm

Day 8: March 10, Thursday
1 cyst on my forehead. I got it on Saturday and its taking its time healing. 2 closed comadones on my cheek, theyre red and look angry, i spot treated them and hope the accutane will do the rest. I am still very oily, especially in my tzone area. I have experienced soreness in my knees and back. My throat is sore as well. My lips are chapped and if I don't have ChapStick on there's a burning sensation. My body is now letting me know that the medicine is indeed doing it's job. One week down, many more to go!

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/11/2016 7:46 am

Hey Christine! You can vent to me anytime:) Thank goodness for forums like this and friends like you, because no one truly understands this journey unless they have either gone through it before or are currently on it. Thank you for the product recommendations as well...I ordered some vaniply yesterday. Im going to drink a ton of water today and put another bandaide on my forehead...hope your Friday is way more exciting then mine:)

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/11/2016 11:27 am

Oh I am glad you ordered the VaniPly! It feels so so so good on my lips. I definitely think my lips WANT to get dry because when I dont have the vaniply on they kinda feel tight and burn a little bit. Which doesn't really bother me b/c i hope that means the accutane is in my system. Girl I have a confession to make... I tried to pop my cyst (just the white head part because it was so gross last night) and what a huge mistake. I am LITERALLY spending my friday just as you are! UGH. I can't believe I didn't follow my rule of no popping on accutane! Shame shame shame! NOW I really know not to pop them. But you know how that goes. The hydrocolloid bandaged helped a lot last night but it's still red as a tomato and angry :( I was so angry at myself last night. Sigh. And you're right, having these forums are the best -- because no body understands but us!

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/11/2016 4:23 pm

Hey Cristine,
no judging on my end...to be honest i wouldve done the same thing! I get impatient with mine. Ive got another comedone on my cheek...Im going to try to have some willpower and leave it alone. The cyst on my forehead is scabbing over...I've kept it covered with a bandaide, but at night it dries out. Hopefully the scab will fall off in the next week. Drinking lots of water today, still trying to stay positive.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/11/2016 5:39 pm

Yes, we must try and leave our zits alone! I noticed when popping mine last night my skin was so fragile. It literally torn the skin off. The hydrocolloid sucked out all the gunk and its almost flat now, but raw/scabbed skin and red as a firetruck. Hopefully next week this time we will be sharing different stories (of our scabs falling off!) lol! I am with ya on the water bandwagon....and trying to stay positive... I have my good moments and bad... mostly bad this week unfortunately. :(  Maybe the accutane is messing with my emotions...? Who knows. 

MemberMember
(@abby-b)

Posted : 03/12/2016 10:18 pm

On March 10, 2016 at 1:19 AM, xbrirae said:

Thank you so much!! I didn't get a chance to eat a full meal today so I will be starting it tomorrow! I appreciate you guys being so kind and welcoming to me. I'm nervous but I'm ready for the acne to be gone. I let in control my life when it shouldn't- i don't even leave my bedroom without makeup. Simple things like jumping in the water or sleeping with someone else in the room I can't do because of this. I know- nobody gets why I let it this control me  so much. I am  definitely all I know  prepared for the dry skin haha. I'm a bit worried about my skin getting worse though as I am so self-confidence either. My skin is my biggest insecurity. I can't wait to journey through this and hopefully come out happier and healthy. :) 

Hi Brianna.. I had to double check and see if I wrote this! I relate to your post 100%. My skin is my biggest insecurity and has been for years. It keeps me from doing so many things... Going to the beach, having sleepovers, anything that may put me in a makeup-less, vulnerable situation. Acutane is my last resort and I am praying it works the way it should! How is your process going so far? I am about a week and a half (12 days) in. Not seeing much improvement. My skin is actually breaking out more than it normally would - which I anticipated. By my lips are dry, nose is bleeding, and I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster! I'm thankful to have this forum of individuals who are going through the same thing. I'm sorry to hear you don't have much of a support system. That must be difficult. It may not seem like much -  but I am here for moral support via the Internet!
Blessings,
Abby  

Christine & Kimmy, I have a hard time resisting popping and picking at my breakouts too. I vowed to keep my hands OFF while on acutane. I don't want to interfere with the process - but it is sooo hard! Especially when the cysts are so gross looking.
I find comfort reading yalls posts. Until finding this thread I thought I was the only one experiencing the feelings and situations I am. But I completely relate to everything you say - physically, mentally & emotionally!
 How is the process going for yall? 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/13/2016 3:59 pm

Hi Abby!
You are most certainly not alone:) I pick and as much as I hate it, it's a bad habit that I developed 18 years ago...its hard to just all of a sudden stop, even though I know its the right thing to do. I do plan to talk to a counselor about it, I've got to change the way my mind rationalizes the need to pick. How is your treatment going?

Day 11: March 13
Not too much to report. My face is still oily. My lips are a bit dry, I've been putting a variety of products like aquafor, Vaseline, carmex on them. I will say the most noticeable side effect I'm having right now is joint pain..esp. In my ankles and knees. Its not enough to keep me from doing my normal routine, I just notice it there. I am still breaking out as usual. The cyst on my forehead is still healing. I had it covered with a bandaide for 3 days to prevent infection and honestly because there's no way I could cover it with makeup....today I took the bandaide off....I know there's research that says the wound will heal faster with a bandaide on, and to keep the area moist because this will prevent scabbing and possible scarring, but I think it slowed down the healing process for myself. Plus a scab is the body's way of protecting a wound, and eventually the scab does fall off....so I'm not sure which one I prefer. I just hope it heals soon.

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/13/2016 8:29 pm

Hi Abby! Glad you found this forum. Sorry to hear about some of the side effects your dealing with, but I am certain they will be worth it in the end! :) Gotta stay positive, don't we?! I can definitely relate to your feelings and anxiety about going to the beach and having sleepovers with friends; I recently went on a trip to Hawaii with my entire family (whom everyone has clear skin except me) and it was sadly one of the worst trips I've ever had. I was an emotional, insecure mess and it really put a damper on our vacation. It sucked, and I tried so hard to not let me skin weigh me down but it was in mind constantly at the beach. I hope the accutane is the answer I've been so desperately been needing for my skin and let's be honest, my anxiety too. I'm on day 13 today and I do have some new side effects to report; my skin is a little flushed pink (don't really mind since it kinda looks like a tan lol), it feels tingly sometimes, and my lips do burn without ointment/balm on them. But they aren't dry. My skin is slightly drier now, as if I were using BP again on my skin. Not too terrible anyway, but I've noticed some backaches the last two days. My eyes have also gotten drier after 8 hrs of contact wear, when normally they don't. My cyst is 90% healed and the scab already fell off...! So that's good news. No new acne, just two-three new clogged pores. I am so glad we are all in this together and have this wonderful forum to share in our good times and bad! <3

Kimmy5 liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/13/2016 9:51 pm

Hey Cristine!
Your scab fell of quick! I wish mine would. I know exactly how you feel ...its like you want to enjoy yourself on vacation but all you can think about is the acne. And yes everyone around me has flawless skin as well. Im going to a concert in July (something I don't ever do) and I'm just hoping I'm comfortable in my skin by then. And anytime I have family visiting or plan for friends to come over for a special occasion my acne usually flares up worse. I'm sure stress has something to do with it...but even when I give it a great effort not to stress my face still goes crazy. Yeah for the 'tanned' appearance:) my face is just shiny...no redness. Just a hot mess;)

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@megand463)

Posted : 03/14/2016 8:14 am

Hey all......hope you don't mind me joining this forum :) I just started accutane at the beginning of this month (March) for the first time and I am just anxiously awaiting for the results. My skin has dried out a ton, as well as my hair and lips. My skin is also breaking out, but in a way that I am not familiar with. Normally I get papules/blackheads all over my chin and cheeks, but now those are drying out. I have noticed that I get more whiteheads than anything now. I also am worried about the side effects that include emotional changes. I have struggled with anxiety and emotional instability for awhile now (because I have had terrible self esteem my whole life DUE to acne haha), and I've already noticed my temper getting shorter. I just keep telling myself that It's worth the fight...I've been struggling with very persistent acne since 4th grade... and I am 22 now. I see a therapist regularly which is very helpful, in addition to just keeping the notion in my head that this will all be over with soon...
I have noticed that my chest has cleared up a lot which is awesome. My back still breaks out a decent amount, but hopefully it passes. Just wish I had something to help my scalp and hair maintain some sort of hydration. 
I also feel like I should take some before photos, but does anyone else have an issue with looking at their face head on? So intimidating haha. For the longest time I wouldn't look at myself in the mirror with out a t shirt that covered my chest because it was too overwhelming to look at my flaws. or I would avoid looking at the mirror period. Not anymore though! So ready to defeat my acne.

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/14/2016 11:27 am

Hi Megan!
I would love it if my face would dry up a bit, my skin is still oily. I think the whiteheads is just a sign that the isotretinoin is pushing the oil andeverything else out of the pores. Mine are still pretty clogged. But like you I have to have to have patience and I am hopeful as well. As much as I would love for it to work overnight, I've got to be realistic. I've had acne for over 18 years.... What's 6 more months?!? If this is truly the cure, then I can wait it out. No judging here either, were battling the same battle sadly....but we'll rise above it:)

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/14/2016 8:19 pm

Hi Megan! Welcome to the form. Sorry to hear you are also fighting the same battle, but we are all in this together :) I too see a therapist for anxiety and depression as it relates to my skin (body dismorphic disorder). It's been helpful, but I recently added an anti-anxiety medication to help when I am feeling overwhelmed. Generally I am opposed to medication and prefer naturopathic remedies and supplements, but It's beyond that at this point. I am glad you are here girl, and I hope the accutane works! (I know it will!)

Kimmy, yes the cyst did heal pretty well, almost virtually gone - I honestly attribute this to my Eminence Stone Crop hydrating gel which helps with healing and inflammation (it's like 10x more hydrating than alove vera!) so I think this is why. I did get a new zit on the side of my nose/cheek but a hydrocolloid is helping with that. Other than that, I do have a new side effect since Friday -- very sore back and body aches. It's not very fun!...  I hope there is relief at some point. Still no dryer than normal skin, no dry lips. How is your cyst doing today? Hope its going down and healing well! <3 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/14/2016 9:21 pm

Hi Cristine
sadly my cyst is still there...I honestly think the bandaide set me back. Usually it would have healed by now. Today I was more oily, uggh. And tonight when I washed my face I noticed a lot more bumps underneath the skin, more blackheads on forehead and nose, and more inflamed red spots I believe are clogged pores. Maybe this is the initial purge? I've already had my period (tmi) so I know its not from that. So frustrating, but there's nothing I can do. How long do you leave the hydrating gel on? Overnight? You just hit your 2 week mark today, right:)

MemberMember
(@briannarae)

Posted : 03/15/2016 2:05 am

Hello!! I hope you guys are doing well!! Tomorrow I'm going to sit down and read everything you guys have written since I've last been on/reply! And hi abby!:) Sorry it's been a few days, my schedules a biiit hectic because my two jobs put me at 50+ hours a week plus  college! I'm lame, I know not an excuse! I'll reply and give updates tomorrow! But I hope all you BEAUTIFUL ladies are doing well. :) thank you!

MemberMember
(@abby-b)

Posted : 03/15/2016 9:31 am

Kimmy, 

The picking is such a hard habit to break. Especially so suddenly. I think talking to someone is wise! I have my boyfriend keep me accountable to keeping my hands off.. But I still struggle so much. While my hands are on my face, I™m thinking to myself œwhy am I doing this?! It™s such a tough mental battle. 
My treatment is okay. A bit discouraging, if I™m honest. I™m on day 15. I™m having a hard time accepting the œgetting worse before getting better. I™m still having cystic and white head breakouts. I feel like I experience a new side effect every day - dry lips, cracking skin, nose bleeds, dry hair, joint pain, backaches.
Has your cyst backed down yet??

Christine,
Yes positivity is key! Trying to keep my spirits up. It is so disheartening to be the only family member and friend with acne. Again, this is why I am so comforted to carry on conversations and progress reports with individuals who understand! 
I live in Florida so going to the beach is a regular occurrence. I always wear makeup to the beach or laying by the pool. But I have acne on my back as well - so wearing a bathing suit just makes me so uncomfortable.
I™m with you in hoping and praying that accutane is the answer. I™m ready to be comfortable in my own skin and lay aside the emotional obstacles that have come along with acne. 
My lips burn too without anything on them. A week or so ago I saw that you posted about Bite lip mask and I ordered it. I love it! It is more hydrating than vaseline or chapstick. Do you have any other products you use for your lips?

Megan, 
Welcome to the forum! Its so great to walk through this process and talk with other individuals who understand what you™re going through. Glad you found us :)
I™m glad you are having positive results already! I™m experiencing the dry hair side effect as well. I just ordered products from Shea Moisture. Jamacian Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow, & Restore Shampoo, and also a hair mask with the same ingredients. I will let you know how it works for me! 
I also have been trying to take some progress photos, but I can™t stand to look at myself without makeup on. Trying to keep telling myself that soon things will change for the better. 
I look forward to reading about your process & progress! 

Do any of you get black heads? I get them really badly on my nose and chin. Normally I would visit my esthetician to have them extracted, but I haven™t spoken to my dermatologist about facial treatments while on Accutane. Do you ladies still get facials, do masks, etc?