Notifications
Clear all

29 Female 1st Time on Accutane: My Log

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 04/04/2016 3:49 pm

Day 48 (End of Week 6)
40mg in the morning; 20mg at night

So my skin sorted itself out this week, which I imagine is in part due to getting back on track with eating better.  I've been so busy lately and gotten a bit complacent with my skin as I've become more reliant on Accutane to do its job.  I learned a valuable lesson that it's important to still take care of yourself, no matter how much the medication is supposed to help.

Last night after my shower I noticed that my forearms were red, bumpy, and kinda burned.  I applied Vitamin E cream but that actually made them burn more.  So I applied some good ol' Aquaphor and went to sleep.  It feels better today, but my arms are still noticeably red and bumpy.  They don't feel as irritated today.

My eyes have been very dry lately, so I've started using fake tears.  Seems to do the trick.  

Also, I'm proud to say that it's been almost 50 days of no drinking.  The only SIP of alcohol I had was at the menu tasting I attended for my upcoming wedding.  We had to try the house wines.  Aside from the tiny sip, I've totally cut out alcohol.  It's amazing to see how long I've been able to go  without it, despite all the social events I've attended.  At first it was strange to be the only one not drinking, but now pretty much everyone knows why I'm abstaining and no one brings it up.  It's been kinda nice to take a break for a while.  I know I can have a drink every now and then, but honestly I'm so terrified of harming my liver.  Plus, I feel like it's easier to just cut it out completely than it is to dip in every now and then. 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 04/25/2016 8:45 am

Day 69 (Week 10)
Female, 29, 115lbs

Yikes, I kept meaning to post an update but here we are almost 3 weeks later!  Here's how it's going:

My arms have broken out into an itchy rash that looks like eczema (which I used to get all the time as a kid).  At first I thought it was related to being in the sun for about 3 hours during a dog walk last weekend (for which I applied SPF 60), but the bumps are just as present today as they were last Sunday.  I've stopped soaping my arms in the shower.  I am going to experiment with using a milder soap like Dove.  So far I've just been moisturizing them a lot, as they're also very dry.

I have intense heel pain in the mornings and when I've been sitting too long.  It subsides throughout the day as long as I'm active.  No other body aches to speak of.

I've been very very tired lately and have taken a lot more naps as a result.  Maybe I'm not sleeping as well at night, or maybe it's got to do with the medication.  In response to this, and in response to my 3 blood tests so far that have shown I'm slightly anemic, I've started taking Vitamin B-12.  So far I haven't noticed a difference in my energy levels, but at the very least maybe it'll stop me from being anemic on the next blood test.

Lips are forever dry, but that's nothing new.  Ironically, my face isn't dry at all.  My skin just feels like a normal person's skin, with the right amount of moisture.  I haven't experienced any flaking, dry patches, irritation, etc since about week 3.  I'm wondering if this just showcases how ridiculously oily my face was before starting Accutane.  It actually took an extreme medication for my skin to 'normalize'.   Speaking of my face, I've only had one small breakout since the last update.  It went away in a few days but I am now left with some redness.  In general my acne is gone but the red marks still remain.  Do these go away???

20160422_022739658_iOS.jpg

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 05/16/2016 3:20 pm

Day 90, End of Week 13
Female, 29, 115lbs
I think I'm at a low point right now. Every morning I wake up with an aggressively runny nose that can last anywhere from an hour to ALL DAY. This has been happening for the last 3 weeks. My joints ache, my heels are on fiyah, and I am tired all the time. I find myself fantasizing about my next nap. It also doesn't seem to help when I do nap. Oh and did I mention that I'm getting married in 8 weeks? It's crunch time and all I want to do is sleep. Not good.

I got the results from my latest blood test and I have neutropenia, which is low white blood cell count, often experienced by cancer patients, and can cause increased susceptibility to infection. So that's not my favourite.

I don't feel like eating anymore, and my taste is all out of whack. I'm also cranky and feel overwhelmed all the time. Yes, part of it is life stuff, but I feel like the pre-accutane-me could have handled some things with a lot more style than I'm currently doing. I also feel like I'm withdrawing from socializing. I don't feel the need to spend as much time with friends anymore and a lot of things annoy me. I really hope all of this goes away once I'm done my dosage.

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 05/19/2016 7:09 am

I had a lot of the same side effects the past 2 weeks but this weekend it completely turned around and I now feel a lot better.
Hang in there ^_^