Notifications
Clear all

First Time User 26/f

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 01/18/2014 8:54 pm

I gotta agree with you - my experience has been sooo uneventful, too! I don't feel like my side effects have interfered with my life at all, really...nothing to really bat an eyelash at, and nothing that I feel is excessive at all. Not even my couple of breakouts! I think I just built up how horrible it was going to be in my mind pre-Accutane and now the reality is so much calmer than I thought it would be!! So glad to hear things are going smoothly - fingers crossed that they stay that way! :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/21/2014 12:49 am

How's it going Emmy?

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 01/23/2014 11:02 pm

Well I am finally at day 31, exactly one month into my treatment and I have only noticed a few things. I am shocked at how little acne I have had over the course of the first month. I probably got three new zits the entire month, one of which I have currently right under my nose...it's the kind of zit that makes your eyes water when you move your mouth because the pain is so deep and so sensitive that you can barely stand it. I can say with almost 100% certainty that my face literally purged every pore the month or so before starting Accutane that my face was totally ready for the start of the treatment. I would have been amazed if I had had an IB because I cleared out every pore of my face prior to starting. This is not an over exaggeration either, it was awful! (Check out my Accutane Gallery ) I think that is the only reason I didn't suffer a breakout at all this first month, because I have been going through a non-stop breakout for several months prior. Does that make any sense? Kind of just me rambling haha but I'm so grateful it hasn't been too bad. I can't be upset about anything right now because my skin is clearing up so well that it feels like I need to just be super stoked, but I am sad about one thing. I started Tri-Sprintec (ortho tri cyclen) because YAZ was 100 bucks a month and have put on about 10 pounds in the last month, which kind of sucks.... But oh well I suppose it's a small price to pay huh? I have pretty dry lips now because I started to slack a bit and immediately noticed super dry lips. I also am starting to get those classic eczema hands but hopefully it goes away soon. My doctor was out of town this week so my appointment is on Monday, but got the blood work done today. I don't know if my dose will change or not because I gained so much weight, but I am on a pretty hefty dose currently so I doubt it.

Take Care all and Best of Luck! Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/28/2014 6:21 pm

You said you had lost weight prior

Well I am finally at day 31, exactly one month into my treatment and I have only noticed a few things. I am shocked at how little acne I have had over the course of the first month. I probably got three new zits the entire month, one of which I have currently right under my nose...it's the kind of zit that makes your eyes water when you move your mouth because the pain is so deep and so sensitive that you can barely stand it. I can say with almost 100% certainty that my face literally purged every pore the month or so before starting Accutane that my face was totally ready for the start of the treatment. I would have been amazed if I had had an IB because I cleared out every pore of my face prior to starting. This is not an over exaggeration either, it was awful! (Check out my Accutane Gallery ) I think that is the only reason I didn't suffer a breakout at all this first month, because I have been going through a non-stop breakout for several months prior. Does that make any sense? Kind of just me rambling haha but I'm so grateful it hasn't been too bad. I can't be upset about anything right now because my skin is clearing up so well that it feels like I need to just be super stoked, but I am sad about one thing. I started Tri-Sprintec (ortho tri cyclen) because YAZ was 100 bucks a month and have put on about 10 pounds in the last month, which kind of sucks.... But oh well I suppose it's a small price to pay huh? I have pretty dry lips now because I started to slack a bit and immediately noticed super dry lips. I also am starting to get those classic eczema hands but hopefully it goes away soon. My doctor was out of town this week so my appointment is on Monday, but got the blood work done today. I don't know if my dose will change or not because I gained so much weight, but I am on a pretty hefty dose currently so I doubt it.

Take Care all and Best of Luck! Hang in there!

Yay Emmy! I am so glad to hear you are doing well! I, unfortunately, did have an IB, but it seems to be reducing (I hope, oh God I hope!). Have you looked into generic alternitives to yaz (I think it's gianvi, or something like that?)? Another option is a discount card - you would be surprised how much those things take off! I just recently discovered them a couple of months ago when my insurance wouldn't cover a medication I was taking with no generic alternative. I thought what the hay, and I printed the discount coupon from online, and brought it to my pharmacy (CVS), and It brought it down from $80 to $35!

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/03/2014 10:40 pm

Well, I got some zits. I got three humongous beasts of zits on the sides of my face on my temple, and then one big ol' nasty right on my lip! They are surprisingly healing pretty fast but they were so big I was a bit concerned! But things are subsiding now and I am into my second month, on day 42 I think. I had to take a week off between scripts because my doctor was out of town, but I was able to pick it up on Saturday which apparently is not bad to take about a week off of it because it "stays in your system" but that was when my break out was so .... probably a coincidence but I didn't want to take ANY chances. Still no real issues, the usual dry lips and eyes, and my hair is getting super dry so I bought this sexy green shower cap with these lovely ruffles along the edge and only wash my hair about twice a week. Gross, I know....but if I wash it more it feels like straw...not fun! I am noticing some very slight joint pain in my back, shoulders and elbows but it is also -7 (Fahrenheit) outside right now and I'm sure that's not helping...oh and I'm getting old too. The scars from my active acne are becoming a bit more noticeable to me and I'm not sure if that is because I am using more lighting to get ready in the morning (I always had it on dim because I just couldn't look at myself in regular lighting) or if it is because I am not wearing as much make-up as often, or if there isn't any real acne to disguise the scarring? There are a lot of shallow pits and dips on both cheeks and some of those really tiny holes (ice pick scars?) on my forehead that are bugging me. I talked to my derm about it and she is optimistic that they will fade but to do a laser treatment after the Accutane and it should clear up. Scars are pretty awful though. I remember back in October when I was riddled with huge, painful cystic acne I thought a face full of scars sounded so easy in comparison, and let's face it... it is, but I never understood how emotionally devastating scars are... You feel like you are so close, yet still so far? Cheesy I know, but the honest truth. But I am so happy with my Accutane course this far and am going to just keep moving forward and hope for more improvement everyday. Hope everyone is hanging in there!

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 02/04/2014 9:56 am

Don't get down about the scars. I'm sure after your course, those'll clear right up, too, even if you have to do the laser treatments! And maybe talk to your derm about trying a topical retinol - they're often prescribed for acne patients (and therefore might be good to use post-tane), but they're also prescribed for people who want to get rid of sun damage and wrinkles, so I'd imagine it could help with the scarring as well.

Keep your beautiful chin up, girl! :)

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/10/2014 8:02 pm

Can we talk about anger? Has anyone else's fuse become...non-existent? I feel like I am becoming agitated, frustrated and fussy A LOT more within the last couple weeks. I don't want to try and use Accutane as an excuse, but I'm not usually like this? I feel so bad all the time because I'm super grumpy in the mornings before I go to work and my poor husband just has to listen to it and try to calm me down. Please tell me others out there are experiencing a bit of this as well? I don't like it one bit and IMO the worse side effect I've had thus far.

Thanks for any input in advance ;)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/25/2014 2:06 pm

Irritability has become more of an issue for me. However, since I am not typically an "outward" angry person (my anger is more directed inward) it has been more apparent to me, although not to others as much. It may be the accutane, but I am not sure - I have also been very angry about some issues at work, and unhappy with certain aspects of how my professional life is progressing. Perhaps not stressing about acne as the over-arching problem in my life has allowed my mind to start considering the other problems I need to be angry about, which makes me more angry! When it comes to any possible emotional side-effects, I really try not to dwell too long on them because the placebo effect and circular thinking starts to kick in for me rather easily, i.e. - "Boy am I anxious! Is the anxiety caused by accutane? Oh crap - the accutane might be causing the anxiety! If that is true there is nothing I can do about is so....Boy am I anxious!".

MemberMember
(@rachelll1995)

Posted : 02/26/2014 12:34 am

Hi emmygirl!! I just started accutane about a week ago, and I can relate SO much to your experience pre-accutane...it makes me feel better that someone understands what i am going through. i wish you all the luck in your treatment!!! I will be following you progress! :)

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/26/2014 4:50 pm

rachelll1995 I cannot even tell you how happy it makes me to know you can follow my log and feel better just knowing someone out there has gone through a very similar experience! That is the whole reason I am doing this log!!! Please let me know if you have any questions at all and congratulations at starting Accutane....it has saved my life!

There were about two weeks there where I was SO fussy, I started to think that there was a real issue with the Accutane, but I have felt awesome for about a week and a half now so it must have been something else like school starting or PMS maybe...? I TOTALLY agree with you though meg that when I'm not completely focused on my acne and saddened by my acne I am noticing other issues and my stress is heightened significantly!

MemberMember
(@rachelll1995)

Posted : 02/26/2014 7:31 pm

Your skin looks so amazing! I just took a look at your gallery! So happy for you :)

I have so many painful cystic pimples currently that just refuse to go away!! I was wondering....did you use any spot treatments to treat breakouts? Im only a week in so my skin doesnt feel too sensitive yet but will it do more harm than good? It feels weird just leaving everything alone when i used to spot treat like crazy pre-accutane!

Wish you all the luck!

-Rachel

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/26/2014 9:31 pm

This is a great question, and one I really struggled with when I first started Accutane too. I even started a forum about what face wash to use when starting Accutane because I was worried about what would happen. My skin was (as you can see) really broke out so I didn't want to just not use anything. I have to be honest, I continued to use my Proactiv probably about a month into the treatment because I was terrified of what would happen if I didn't. Some days I would only use the CeraVa foaming wash but I wouldn't go more than two days without using my Proactiv. For me, my skin did not dry out and I didn't have any issues using it, but decided to stop in the second month because I knew at that point I didn't need it anymore. Read your skin well, if you notice it is super sensitive to any treatments obviously don't risk it, but I was using spot treatments like sulfur masks and BP for an entire month without any side effects. I know everyone's skin is different and there are probably many people out there who had issues using BP on Accutane even in the first few days, but I really didn't. I did however stop all oral medications I was taking (antibiotics) immediately and never experienced any issues with that. Just pay super close attention to what your skin is telling you and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Make sure you have a great night moisturizer that you can really cake on to keep the flakes and irritation at bay. :) Hang in there, the first month is kind of tough but just knowing you are on the path and heading in the direction of clear skin makes it easy and TOTALLY worth it!!

MemberMember
(@rachelll1995)

Posted : 02/26/2014 9:56 pm

Wow thank you SO much for your detailed response!! Means a lot that you took the time to write all this :) And I'll follow your advice, my skin doesn't seem irritated atm so I will continue until my skin reacts differently. I hate how cystic acne is so stubborn and takes weeks to go away...and some not even completely.. mine have literally been there for ages :( The road to clear skin seems so far but I know there is hope!!

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/02/2014 10:16 pm

Day 70:

Everything is wonderful! No issues, no side effects, no dry skin and best of all NO ACNE! I will be starting my third month supply this week and have to say things are great. I am so much happier and able to actually live a life. PLEASE anyone out there if you are struggling with serious acne and are miserable, please consider Accutane, if you are concerned or scared or unsure talk to your doctor, it will change your life.

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/12/2014 10:34 pm

So I have to share a quick story in case anyone is reading this log and having a hard time paying for Accutane (in the US) or are worried about the cost, I have some REALLY happy news. So, my first and second Rx were $680 for 30mg twice a day. I got on Pacific Source health insurance through the ACA on the Marketplace website. The plan is 212 dollars a month (silver plan, I believe) I went in to get my prescription, that due to low supply was going to be one 10mg tablet and one 20mg tablet twice daily of Amnesteem it would have been $1300 (I'm NOT joking! Absolute Craziness, I know) but because of my health insurance paid 20 dollars! I nearly cried at the desk when she told me my total!!! If anyone is struggling with the cost let me know because even though the 212 is really expensive, if you are on Accutane, you will end up saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars!

MemberMember
(@dicksonkylie)

Posted : 03/20/2014 3:33 pm

Hey emmygirl I was wondering about that insurance....was it hard to get preauthorized for the accutane?

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/21/2014 4:36 pm

It wasn't! I think it took 4-5 business days, which can be cutting it close with the 7 day window for prescription pick-up (especially if you have a weekend in the middle, which I did) but it was approved pretty fast.