Notifications
Clear all

My First Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 03/24/2013 1:09 pm

Sadly, if I only had one pimple I would just rather stay home than go out with friends. I would just tell them I was sick(in the head definitely) anyway, I am very sensitive to having any acne on my face. I only became this way in the past two years, wasn't like this before. Must be getting a divorce that changed my way of thinking or something, idk.

I know. I unfortunlty still live with my mom at the moment at age 19 and shes so unsupportive over this stuff. She thinks that I should be locked up in the loonatic bin because i freak out over like 1 or 2 pimples as a guy. Shes never had it before, so she doesn't know the feeling. I tried to explain it to her, but she just won't change her mind. I'm basically on my own on this, except with the help of the community on this site smile.png.

Day 21:

Curently at my BEST. No acne at all. Zero pimples, almost no redness, jsut a tad bit of dry skin. No dry lips. My face for some reason though looks slightly oil, but it doesnt feel oily. How odd. I been using a acne 2% sal scrub with beads also to help tame the acne, its been doing great!! im pretty excited. What should i do saywhat.gif???

What should you do? About the oil look? Well I would just use mineral makeup(powder) but you are a male so idk but I went through a stage early on where I got oily after starting accutane which was odd because I have always had dry skin. It passed though.

na not worried about the oil look i suppose. Im doing great, i just hope it stays this way. Might even try processed carbs again, but if it breaks me out im goona flip :X

MemberMember
(@tracy1971)

Posted : 03/25/2013 5:01 pm

Sadly, I'm not sure what a carb iseusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:50 am

Sadly, I'm not sure what a carb iseusa_think.gif

Its ok lol. Carb = Sugar = Fructose/Dextrose = Raises ur insulin levels = Produces MORE oil = More acne. THats why THings high in sugar like cany and things high in carbs like pasta often cause acne. Fructose is sugar from fruits, and It seems to be not very bad.. So I been sticking with it over pasta ect..

Day 31:

Yesterday was JUST TERRIBLE. I got a ticket on the way back from the gym. $100 Down the drain or more + court. Cops... No respect for them at ALL. Besides that, My face is looking great. So far I think its TRULY AT ITS BEST!!! No acne/ Nopimples and the red marks are basically GONE. I'm really happy for once.

PS: Went to derm yesterday. Got prescribed 60MG. 1 In morning and 2 at night. I'm also waiting on blood test. Lets see how this goes...I did fast for about 15+ hours before it. So this better be good!!

EDIT: I'm SLOWLY TURNING MY DIET AROUND TOO. I'm adding more meat and protein as of today to my diet. Soon to be within a few weeks, i'll introduce Pasta and carbs and more, But I still refuse to eat candy. Woot!

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 04/06/2013 8:37 pm

Day IDK:

4/3/13

---------------

Passed second derm blood test with EASE. Simply fast 12 hrs before with no work out and you can't possibly fail!! Woot

4/6/13

----------------

Brothers birthday. The entire family went out to eat and I did too with a almost clear face, with just a few slight red marks left. I ate the food with carbs from pasta and rice. Lets see how this pans out over the next few days. This is a small test. WIsh me luck :s

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 04/08/2013 3:34 pm

4/8/13

--------------

Very small Zit on chin, I believe this was BEFORE b day though. Since I didn't get anything from that day I stepped up the notch on spag + almonds. Lets see how this goes. Ill repost within 48 hrs, but other than that.. its been good.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 04/18/2013 12:19 pm

4/18

-----------

For the past few weeks its been good. Had very little acne, but still got the occasional pimple or 2. Yesterday I got 2 though, They are tiny and red, but near my lip and bottom cheek. They seem flat and just red. I hope it goes away. I'm in the middle of my month 2. I thought tane was suppose to basicalyl 99% rid of all acne by around this time? anyone know?

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 05/03/2013 10:47 am

5/1/13

-----------------------

Passed my third month blood TEST. This time I'm up to 80mg. Seems pretty high, but If thats what The doc says, then thats whats goona happen. Anyways, Lately to summarize this past month has been Good. Haven't had much break outs really, but that didn't last up to the past few days. Before the derm I just recently got about 3 new pimples. There small, but in the most anoying'est spots. In the "T" and under the bottom lip and also near the side up the left lip. I used the Zeno on them and applied Sal acid on it too, they seem a bit better, but still pretty red. Also, shavining is giving me bumps sometimes, but Aveeno shave gel has been helping with that. Anyways lets keep this going and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 05/06/2013 7:53 am

5/6.13

-------------------

bad few days and idk if its getting better or what. the T, lower lip and right/left sides cleared up a lot, but i broke out again near the left chiin with 2 new ones and near my cheek too. this isnt even the worst of it, it seems that this 80mg dose of tane is making me so dry. my chin + my left side of my lip skin area is red and peeling like crazy. i gotta work ect.. idk wut 2 do now.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:48 am

5/28/13

-----------------------

Lost track of the days. Lately I haven't posted on here, but Times not been that great. Since the derm upped it to 80mg Accutane a day, I've been getting alot more break outs. LOts of them have been cystic too. At first I just left them alone, but now they are taking forever to go down, so I began applying 2% S. A. .... It helps out a lot and makes the pimples small and flat, but it leaves a KILLER red spot for weeks. Currently: 1 Red spot on left forehead, 1 Pimple between eyes, 1 red spot above eye brow on left, 1 Red spot on left cheek, 2 red spots on right cheek....

- I don't understand. My first 40mg month was so good and I was clear as crystal. Why am I breaking out again when the med is 5x stronger. What is happeneing. This is getting pretty depressing. I really hope these months go by faster....

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 05/28/2013 7:08 pm

5/28/13

-----------------------

Lost track of the days. Lately I haven't posted on here, but Times not been that great. Since the derm upped it to 80mg Accutane a day, I've been getting alot more break outs. LOts of them have been cystic too. At first I just left them alone, but now they are taking forever to go down, so I began applying 2% S. A. .... It helps out a lot and makes the pimples small and flat, but it leaves a KILLER red spot for weeks. Currently: 1 Red spot on left forehead, 1 Pimple between eyes, 1 red spot above eye brow on left, 1 Red spot on left cheek, 2 red spots on right cheek....

- I don't understand. My first 40mg month was so good and I was clear as crystal. Why am I breaking out again when the med is 5x stronger. What is happeneing. This is getting pretty depressing. I really hope these months go by faster....

I hope this phrase will pass soon!

I am on accutane too, 20mg for this month. I broke out on my cheeks which is very unusual for me, and I applied retin a 0.05% on those spots and they heal up pretty well within a few days :)

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/05/2013 10:07 am

5/28/13

-----------------------

I am on accutane too, 20mg for this month. I broke out on my cheeks which is very unusual for me, and I applied retin a 0.05% on those spots and they heal up pretty well within a few days smile.png

Your lucky. My derm is such a stubborn piece of attitude. This is how my app goes: I sit down in the room, Nurse talks to me and we discuss problems and solutions, then derm comes in and looks at me and says 80mg accutane, shakes my hand and walks out. If I try and request any products like a higher version of hydrocorison or retin A, hes like... No... wait till accutane it done. Ur not allowed to take ANYTHING with accutane. What a joke, and If I get mad about it and try and give him grief, then hes like do u want me to take u off accutane? So I cant do jack and I walk away. Have had like 5 red marks on my face forever and im getting so mad over it.

6/5/13

--------------------

Month 4 just started. Back on 80mg again. Derm says he wont go higher for patients. Great, because that last month of 80mg wasn't too effective. I'm still getting random huge pimples about every few days. I have no idea how to fix this anymore. Its getting really bothersome, Currently I have for my records: One on forehead, One on far Lefforehead, 1 Near bottom left Lip, 2 on both cheek ends and a bran spaken new one near left chin.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/05/2013 5:05 pm

5/28/13

-----------------------

I am on accutane too, 20mg for this month. I broke out on my cheeks which is very unusual for me, and I applied retin a 0.05% on those spots and they heal up pretty well within a few days smile.png

Your lucky. My derm is such a stubborn piece of attitude. This is how my app goes: I sit down in the room, Nurse talks to me and we discuss problems and solutions, then derm comes in and looks at me and says 80mg accutane, shakes my hand and walks out. If I try and request any products like a higher version of hydrocorison or retin A, hes like... No... wait till accutane it done. Ur not allowed to take ANYTHING with accutane. What a joke, and If I get mad about it and try and give him grief, then hes like do u want me to take u off accutane? So I cant do jack and I walk away. Have had like 5 red marks on my face forever and im getting so mad over it.

6/5/13

--------------------

Month 4 just started. Back on 80mg again. Derm says he wont go higher for patients. Great, because that last month of 80mg wasn't too effective. I'm still getting random huge pimples about every few days. I have no idea how to fix this anymore. Its getting really bothersome, Currently I have for my records: One on forehead, One on far Lefforehead, 1 Near bottom left Lip, 2 on both cheek ends and a bran spaken new one near left chin.

Aww, he's such a jerk to threaten you to stop your treatment! U should sue him for abuse of power!

And my derm instructed me to not to use anything including retin a, BP while on accutane too. The underlying reason is that accutane dries and create more breaks out for people, so retina a/BP is a bad idea because they do the same thing for skin too.

But I don't see any harm spot treating with retin a as it speeds up the healing process.

I am getting random big bumps once in a while too! Just got one right on my neck below my ear! But it kinda died down already after two night of retin a, I dunno how long it would have stayed if I didn't use retin a.

I recommend putting ice on those big bumps if they start to itch or hurt! Works wonder and decreases the inflammation too! :)

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/07/2013 10:38 am

5/28/13

-----------------------

6/5/13

--------------------

Aww, he's such a jerk to threaten you to stop your treatment! U should sue him for abuse of power!

And my derm instructed me to not to use anything including retin a, BP while on accutane too. The underlying reason is that accutane dries and create more breaks out for people, so retina a/BP is a bad idea because they do the same thing for skin too.

But I don't see any harm spot treating with retin a as it speeds up the healing process.

I am getting random big bumps once in a while too! Just got one right on my neck below my ear! But it kinda died down already after two night of retin a, I dunno how long it would have stayed if I didn't use retin a.

I recommend putting ice on those big bumps if they start to itch or hurt! Works wonder and decreases the inflammation too! smile.png

Do you think there is anything else to remove redness? I am getting medium sized pimples every now and then, but the problem is not the pimple really. The pimple goes away very fast within days, but that redness will last for sooo long. I tried using hydrocorison cream, it doesn't help that much at all. All I really got is just to put skin lotion on the redness and use time. I really need retin A, I even considered buying it online, but I don't know any sources and I'm willing to pay up to 30$ or more for a bottle. Idk what to do anymore, by the time my tane treatment is done within 2-3 months, my face is going to be full of like 20+ red spots at the rate this is going...And what makes me mad as hell is everytime I see my derm hes like "u look fine" and pretty much ups my tane and walks out. Clearly, This is not the case and it makes me mad that he will not comprimise, but I can't just dip on him because its hard to find derms that work with my insurance :l

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/07/2013 1:37 pm

Do you think there is anything else to remove redness? I am getting medium sized pimples every now and then, but the problem is not the pimple really. The pimple goes away very fast within days, but that redness will last for sooo long. I tried using hydrocorison cream, it doesn't help that much at all. All I really got is just to put skin lotion on the redness and use time. I really need retin A, I even considered buying it online, but I don't know any sources and I'm willing to pay up to 30$ or more for a bottle. Idk what to do anymore, by the time my tane treatment is done within 2-3 months, my face is going to be full of like 20+ red spots at the rate this is going...And what makes me mad as hell is everytime I see my derm hes like "u look fine" and pretty much ups my tane and walks out. Clearly, This is not the case and it makes me mad that he will not comprimise, but I can't just dip on him because its hard to find derms that work with my insurance :l

There's nothing really can be done for the redness except AHA and retin a since they both increase the speed of skin renewals, I don't recommend using them on a large area while on Accutane though.

It's not that big of a difference using retin a anyways, you can do with or without it~ I only use it to make the pimples go away quicker, not for the marks.

And isn't hydrocorison cream a steroid? Be careful when using it! It thins out the skin in the long run~

If your skin isn't really really dry, then maybe invest in a cream/lotion that has 5% AHA to use at night! It should help with the skin flakes/ red marks without much irritations :)

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/08/2013 10:45 am

There's nothing really can be done for the redness except AHA and retin a since they both increase the speed of skin renewals, I don't recommend using them on a large area while on Accutane though.

It's not that big of a difference using retin a anyways, you can do with or without it~ I only use it to make the pimples go away quicker, not for the marks.

And isn't hydrocorison cream a steroid? Be careful when using it! It thins out the skin in the long run~

If your skin isn't really really dry, then maybe invest in a cream/lotion that has 5% AHA to use at night! It should help with the skin flakes/ red marks without much irritations smile.png

went to walgreens right after i saw your post and bought a AHA. Its 8% Glycolic and 70% solution. Cost me around 10$. I saw some ok reviews online before I bought it here too. I'm going to apply it to my red spots and "new" forming cystics/pimples. Is this ok? Also, I quit using my hydrocorisone cream. I just don't see it helping what so ever and it indeed is a steroid.

6/8

-----------------------

Tane is only making life worse from this point. Before I started tane I had a few pimples, Then 40mg into tane or second month I became to the point of ALMOST clear, so very close...Now Four month in, I can say that tane is not helping me anymore. I take the 80mg pills, but it only makes life so much worse. I break out every other day now and not usually with a small zit, but Now their these giants cysts. Yesterday I broke out with 2 New ones to add. NOw my face has like 15+ red spots randomly. Ugh.. Idk what to do anymore. Bought some AHA, going to see how that pans out. I'm about to even take a week off from the gym, the one place that keeps me at ease, but I can't walk around looking like this anymore.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/08/2013 3:37 pm

If your skin isn't really really dry, then maybe invest in a cream/lotion that has 5% AHA to use at night! It should help with the skin flakes/ red marks without much irritations smile.png

went to walgreens right after i saw your post and bought a AHA. Its 8% Glycolic and 70% solution. Cost me around 10$. I saw some ok reviews online before I bought it here too. I'm going to apply it to my red spots and "new" forming cystics/pimples. Is this ok? Also, I quit using my hydrocorisone cream. I just don't see it helping what so ever and it indeed is a steroid.

6/8

-----------------------

Tane is only making life worse from this point. Before I started tane I had a few pimples, Then 40mg into tane or second month I became to the point of ALMOST clear, so very close...Now Four month in, I can say that tane is not helping me anymore. I take the 80mg pills, but it only makes life so much worse. I break out every other day now and not usually with a small zit, but Now their these giants cysts. Yesterday I broke out with 2 New ones to add. NOw my face has like 15+ red spots randomly. Ugh.. Idk what to do anymore. Bought some AHA, going to see how that pans out. I'm about to even take a week off from the gym, the one place that keeps me at ease, but I can't walk around looking like this anymore.

Just hang in there and let accutane does its job! We all are supposed to break out before it gets better smile.png

The AHA sounds nice, just make sure don't put it over open wounds! Also, only use at night time if possible.

For new forming pimples, I recommend putting ice on it for around 5 minutes, multiple times a day. This method always helps decreasing the inflammations for me~

And use your best judgement to determine if you should continue the AHA or not, if you feel tight or burn after 10~20 minutes using the AHA, then maybe u should stop using/decrease the amount smile.png

Everything will be fine at the end! Remember you still have 3 months to go on this, there's still tons of rooms for improvements!

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/09/2013 7:19 am

6/8

-----------------------

Just hang in there and let accutane does its job! We all are supposed to break out before it gets better smile.png

The AHA sounds nice, just make sure don't put it over open wounds! Also, only use at night time if possible.

For new forming pimples, I recommend putting ice on it for around 5 minutes, multiple times a day. This method always helps decreasing the inflammations for me~

And use your best judgement to determine if you should continue the AHA or not, if you feel tight or burn after 10~20 minutes using the AHA, then maybe u should stop using/decrease the amount smile.png

Everything will be fine at the end! Remember you still have 3 months to go on this, there's still tons of rooms for improvements!

I put decent sized "dime" dabs over all the red marks and the fading ones. I applied the NEW dabs every 1-2 Hours for about 10 hours. I woke up now and all the spots and faded ones are EXTREMELY red, like they just had a pimple there or something terrible happened. IDK what to do now. Did I overuse it? It looks like my face is 10x redder now. What should I do at this point? Stop using the product? Use it less? How was I suppose to use for how many hours and day and do I reapply it ever in a day or not. Im so confused.... This last month is THE WORST of my entire life.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/09/2013 9:50 pm

6/8

-----------------------

I put decent sized "dime" dabs over all the red marks and the fading ones. I applied the NEW dabs every 1-2 Hours for about 10 hours. I woke up now and all the spots and faded ones are EXTREMELY red, like they just had a pimple there or something terrible happened. IDK what to do now. Did I overuse it? It looks like my face is 10x redder now. What should I do at this point? Stop using the product? Use it less? How was I suppose to use for how many hours and day and do I reapply it ever in a day or not. Im so confused.... This last month is THE WORST of my entire life.

Wait... u apply the AHA every once an hour? That's way too much! You are only supposed to apply it once at night.

Also, one thing to note about AHA is that we don't have to use it everyday to see result, once a week could be enough depending on the %.

But for you, I think just stop using it for now and wait for the redness to fade.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/10/2013 9:53 am

6/8

-----------------------

Wait... u apply the AHA every once an hour? That's way too much! You are only supposed to apply it once at night.

Also, one thing to note about AHA is that we don't have to use it everyday to see result, once a week could be enough depending on the %.

But for you, I think just stop using it for now and wait for the redness to fade.

So to use AHA correctly: Do I put a "mask" on my face, or cover only the red pimple spots at night? Is it a Thin layer or a Thick Layer over the red spots using AHA? Btw I'm ordering BHA too form online. Is this any good?

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/10/2013 5:22 pm

6/8

-----------------------

So to use AHA correctly: Do I put a "mask" on my face, or cover only the red pimple spots at night? Is it a Thin layer or a Thick Layer over the red spots using AHA? Btw I'm ordering BHA too form online. Is this any good?

You could apply it as a mask, wait 10 minutes, rinse off with water.

Or just a small amount on the skin overnight.

I don't think you should add anymore stuff while on accutane :(

Just wash, and wear sunscreen in the daytime, that's all you really need. AHA is just a bonus depending on your skin condition.

Though I don't see a problem with BHA... it doesn't fade reddness as good as AHA though.

Remember one at time! Don't use AHA and BHA together for now.

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/26/2013 2:43 pm

6/8

-----------------------

You could apply it as a mask, wait 10 minutes, rinse off with water.

Or just a small amount on the skin overnight.

I don't think you should add anymore stuff while on accutane sad.png

Just wash, and wear sunscreen in the daytime, that's all you really need. AHA is just a bonus depending on your skin condition.

Though I don't see a problem with BHA... it doesn't fade reddness as good as AHA though.

Remember one at time! Don't use AHA and BHA together for now.

I have both BHA and AHA now. I been using them often and switching them up. The redness is just lasting way to long and the pimples are still here.

6/26/13

----------------------------

Been a while since I updated. Things went well for one solid week this month. My redness began to go down and had ZERO new pimples, but during this week its changing again... Haven't had a single cyst ( I removed HIGH Fats from my diet), this seems to have removed cyst chances, but it did not stop other pimples from forming. I'm now getting them around the T to Nose area. they are red spots too. I been putting BHA on them, they turn flat really quick and in the spot it just looks like a small "shiny" glistening hole surrounding by redness. Anyways, im getting worried now too. This is month 4. Month 5 is my last I think and its still not gone... :l

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 06/30/2013 10:21 am

6/30/13

-------------

Some red marks have faded. Still getting slight acne. Currently have about maybe 10+ Red marks, and 2 active zits. One zit was ingrained in the skin for over a month, but it had to come out eventually. Thats fine. But theother one is new. I hope it leave soon. Tane time is ending very soon...

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 07/10/2013 9:07 am

7/10

---------------------

Well... I'm not seeing this get any better. In fact accutane might be actually making it worse. I've never had acne before on chest or back of neck. Not even once since middle school, But now I found 2 spots on my neck. They healed up after shots, but the marks are left. It looks like a vampire bit me. The ones on my chest are in a group of 4-5. There tiny, but make the spot red. I hope they go away quick. Im not going to put anything on them. Next, My face... Just about once a week I get a Cystic pimple. Ranging from usually my cheek to my forehead. I thought my forehead was clearing finally and the red marks improving, but the pimples jus keep coming back. Currently I got 1 cyst above my eyebrow. Its pretty big and red. I found there is ONLY 2 ways to treat a cyst: Steroid shot OR VIcks cream. The shot will kill it fast ASAP, but vicks takes about a week of consistent application and it slowly kills it. I'm starting to get very upset now with the results of accutane. Im basically on month 5 NOW. This is my last month and if I NEED another one. I might get one, but that depends on the derm. Hes such a stinge and threatened to take me off tane before and I always see him for just about 4 minutes. Can't even have a decent conv with him. How sad is life sometimes....

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 07/19/2013 5:48 pm

7/19

---------

Im about 11 days from my next derm app. My acne has faded from how it use to be, But The acne is still not cured. I still get acne around my face at times. The red marks from previeus cysts are left there and it has been months since i got them. It looks terrible. My next derm app is my last for tane. Basically meaning my treatment is done. I'm going to try to talk him into 6 months, but last time he didnt seem to be waving that way. Im upset over this. People talked about how great tane was, but so far it hasent lived up to its legeneds, for me atleast. This is upsetting. 5 Months of hope pouring down the drain. Idk what to do anymore...I hope atleast when tane is over within the next 2 weeks, I can get rid of these red marks ASAP with better drugs and treatment cause he refused me anything to place on them during tanes time. How annoying. Well see what happens, but so far, im not very happy :(

MemberMember
(@paulxdragon)

Posted : 07/20/2013 7:48 am

7/19

---------

Im about 11 days from my next derm app. My acne has faded from how it use to be, But The acne is still not cured. I still get acne around my face at times. The red marks from previeus cysts are left there and it has been months since i got them. It looks terrible. My next derm app is my last for tane. Basically meaning my treatment is done. I'm going to try to talk him into 6 months, but last time he didnt seem to be waving that way. Im upset over this. People talked about how great tane was, but so far it hasent lived up to its legeneds, for me atleast. This is upsetting. 5 Months of hope pouring down the drain. Idk what to do anymore...I hope atleast when tane is over within the next 2 weeks, I can get rid of these red marks ASAP with better drugs and treatment cause he refused me anything to place on them during tanes time. How annoying. Well see what happens, but so far, im not very happy sad.png

Personally, I think you are jumping the gun and giving up too soon, I had moderate acne and it took me 8 months to see solid results from tane, it's now been almost 2 months since then and I've had a single (singular, 1, ONE!) pimple.

It sounds like you're giving up too soon, it's a mistake you'll regret.