Notifications
Clear all

Starting Tonight! Roaccutane Log

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 10/31/2012 7:25 am

Acccckkkk!!! Also, this question is a little cheeky haha but does anyone have any advice on kissing whilst on accutane? HAHAHA I made myself cringe there but I don't want my boyfriend to feel like he's kissing sandpaper, if you know what I mean!? Oh also, is there a UK version of Neosporin or anything similar?

Oh my gosh, I had to laugh out loud when I read this! I swear to you that having wonky lips was the #1 reason that I did NOT want to go on Accutane. The thought of not kissing for 6 months made me SO SAD! Nasty, crusty chapped lips are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. But you know what? It hasn't been that bad for me. I could really put my lips to work right now (if the opportunity presented itself. I am currently single since I dumped my bf in June and I've been avoiding guys because I was afraid I would be too scary looking while on Accutane). Anyhow, my point is that the side effects that I was so afraid of have not been as bad as I had feared. That's not the case for everyone but I hope you are one of the lucky ones ;)

Listen, In all seriousness, I know you are concerned about all the scary things that could happen because of taking this drug. I was scared to death too. Especially when you read horror stories from people who have reacted badly. Just remember that people are more likely to post something negative. For the most part, people who are having positive results are too busy enjoying life and would rather not think about the crap they are leaving behind. That goes for ANY DRUG. Seriously, google any drug and you will see all the horrible things that might happen from taking it. Many, many (most) people who take or have taken Accutane do not have any serious, lasting side effects. I almost didn't take it because I was so scared. I can't stress how happy I am that I did. It really has made a huge, positive difference in my life. I understand that people have good intentions when warning people about a drug but everyone reacts differently. Just listen to your body, keep up with your blood tests and find a doctor that really has your best interest at heart. Also, try not to look for every little bad thing that happens and think it's the Accutane. It only makes you more paranoid.

I'm here if you have any questions. You can read my log if you care to (we have a lot in common!) and you can message me as well. I'm almost on month 4, taking 60mg a day. It hasn't been easy but it hasn't been horrible either. A hell of a lot better than having acne so bad that you don't want to go out in public!

Take care and good luck. I'm so jealous that you have a boyfriend to kiss! Oh, AQUAPHOR is my lover at the moment....haha

~Celia

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/31/2012 4:42 pm

Hahaha I had to ask!! I've warned him my lips are gunna be gross for a while and told him about this drug so he's prepared himself haha crazy.gif

And you're definitely right. I have calmed down and am more relaxed about it now, and I try not to think about the horror stories. Right now all I have a is a bit of a headache and a weird dry patch on my neck haha! Hopefully the side effects won't get unbearable! I'm trying to think positive though :)

I will definitely follow your log, take care and good luck to you too! :D

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 10/31/2012 4:56 pm

Good luck to you too!! message me if you have any questions or if you are freaking out about anything. Chances are I've been there ;) And have fun kissing tongue.png

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/01/2012 7:44 pm

Pill 5 (idk why I'm counting in pills haha)

Ugh my head hurts! It's bearable though, just a bit annoying. Been chugging water like a mooooooofoooooo

Been a bit more oily recently, the tane is probably just pushing everything to the surface. I think I see the start of a breakout, I actually don't mind so much though, cause I'm on half term and it means it's working and pushing all the gross stuff to the surface!! Oh and I'm starting to flake on my nose!

But, does anyone else think that their PIH will never fade? sad.png I have such little areas of normal skin it's ridiculous!! My PIH from the IPL treatment has almost gone but because I kept breaking out after that there's just a huge buildup of it sad.pnghas anyone else had horrible PIH and had their skin turn back to normal? Like I'm talking hardly any normal coloured skin here! I just hope that nothing's messed it up for good sad.png I have a few broken capillaries already which I know won't go unless I get some kinda laser treatment which sucks!! The GOOD news is, what I thought were icepick scars, I'm pretty sure most of them were just pores o_____O this is gross, but I think the drug is pushing stuff up from them because I have gross little blackheady type things in them and I can see hairs, which apparently means that they're not scars. Plus I swear some of them have shrunk a bit. Awesome, huh? I was worried about those!!

Also whoever got a headache at the start of their course, how long did it last for?

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:03 pm

Headaches. YES. Probably on and off for the first month. All I can say is, don't give up! it's WORTH IT! Hang in there girl. Things will get better, I promise! You are doing the right thing by drinking water. I really, really didn't believe that things would change for me, but they have. I swear I have been so worried about PIH that I have researched the shit out of it and so far as I can tell, once we are done with Accutane, it should be 6 months (at most?) for that to clear. If not, there are some options, although my derm wont discuss them with me until I'm done :/ I'm thinking laser although I have heard that honey and lemon masks might help. AND you can use that now. It's gentle enough to use while on Accutane. But I know how you feel. The red marks evil.gif suck balls. Have you tried makeup? It's a decent temporary solution....

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:11 pm

Ahhh okay, it's good to know someone else was getting them too!! I was starting to get worried haha! And I really hope so, it took about 6 months for my last breakout marks to pretty much disappear (they were BAD) so if I hadn't have kept breaking out after that I would've had normal looking skin by now! :( so annoying. I was also using BP which made my marks like 10x worse so I believe that they would have faded faster if I wasn't using that!

Omg, I do not leave the house without makeup haha! It's soooo annoying though, it takes so long to put on and it doesn't even look that good :( plus there's that whole thing of being scared of people touching my face in case some of it rubs off, baahh the whole thing just stresses me out :( I can't wait when (hopefully!) that'll be over! I could put up with just a bit of concealer but a whole face full of it is just too much!

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/01/2012 8:24 pm

What kind of makeup do you use? I swear, 2 months ago I had over 50 zits (actual bumps, not just red spots) and no amount of product would cover the Braille texture of my face. It made me so sad :( And sometimes I think that makeup on dried, big, red zits looks even worse than naked big red zits!!

People who don't have acne have no idea how humiliating it is...eh?

How are your lips, eh? do they still work? hehehe...LUCIKY!

I should have something better to do on a Thursday night than hang out on Acne.org. hehehehhe.

<3 Celia

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/02/2012 7:05 am

Oh wow that sounds painful sad.png !! I'm glad it's a lot better now! biggrin.png I totally agree about the makeup on the dried spots, sometimes I feel it looks worse too! Like a weird gross flake in the middle of your face crazy.gif

I used Bobbi Brown, cause I'm so pale and she has a good colour range haha! I find drugstore makeup usually doesn't suit my skintone sad.png I'm pretty sure it doesn't break me out either which is a huge plus! What do you use?

My lips aren't really drier than usual atm! I had fairly dry lips to start with, it's weird :s

But...hm. *MAJOR BORING RANT*

I'm kinda considering breaking up with my boyfriend, I'm really not sure....it's like........we've definitely hit the 'comfortable' stage as we've been going out like 8/9 months now, which I don't mind, or I wouldn't mind if he didn't make me feel like such an option, you know what I mean? Like I feel that everything else comes first before me. It's a long story and there are little things which have built up to make me feel this way but it kinda sucks when I put him first most of the time and I'm hardly ever put first with him......I'm getting quite tired of it :/ But I'm the pushover type haha so I never know how to bring up any issues cause I don't want to be annoying!! I don't know what to do sad.png BOYS. -________-

Anyway proper update,

DAY 5/PILL 5

Today the headaches have seemed to have subsided for now (TOUCHWOOD) which is gooood! I think I may have slightly dry eyes, or I'm just tired, who knows. I was kinda hoping to skip that side effect sad.png darn. I'm breaking out a tiiiiiny bit, nothing more than usual though, and all the gross stuff in my pores look like it's being pushed out haha GROSS but kinda weirdly satisfying to see! I'm also oilier than usual, and I have a bit of a flaking nose (WITH OIL TOO, the best combination -___-) but I just gently wiped it off with a wet towel/washcloth and moisturized. Lips aren't drier than usual, rest of the face isn't really drier than usual yet. My neck has a few tiiiinyyy spots on it, I had bumps there before I started so maybe it's pushing all of those out which is good. Uhhmhmmm....I think that's about it so far!

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:44 pm

I use Boscia BB cream. I have used it for the past year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's not as heavy as foundation but better than tinted moisturizer. It feels WONDERFUL on my skin. It keeps my skin moist and hydrated all day, has spf and covers my red spots! It is actually GOOD for your skin! Used it with acne, I used it on dry skin, I used it on oily skin. It's about $40 a bottle at Ulta but worth every penny (of my moms. haha) But that's just my little ol' opinion :)

And I got weirdly oily during my first few weeks. Much more oily than normal.

Now, about the boy. I broke up with my last boyfriend for that very reason. He was beautiful, he was hot, he was even nice and funny (not so smart though. Truth be told) I really wanted to find something to hate about him but couldn't. He simply did not make me feel special. And hey, I'm all about having your own life, your own interests and your own friends. I'm independent and I don't feel the need to be joined at the hip. With anyone. I just never felt like I was very important to him. He would tell me he wanted me, he would say all the right things but he was all words and little action. It was almost as if he only wanted to hang out with me when he had nothing better to do!! Not all that thoughtful until he thought I was about to dump him and then he would act right for a while. Then back to being self centered. I broke up with him 2 weeks before prom. We still went to prom and he begged me to come back. I said I would consider it if he would put a little more effort into the relationship. He didn't so after about 2 weeks I told him to forget it. Right after that my acne got reeeealllly bad. I went out with a guy that I had liked for so long but he blew me off (after making out with me. Boy was I dumb. dick). I'm sure it's because he hadn't seen me with such bad acne (since school was out for summer). Anyhow, that was the last guy I was with..Back in July. It kinda worked out for the best though, since I'm moving in a couple of days (from PA to AZ)...I'm cyber schooling until January and then it's a new school, new babe pool and me with my new face :) I guess all my rambling was to say that you need to do what feels right to you. Relationships are a two way thing...One person can't do all the work. If you don't feel special, if it doesn't feel good then it probably isn't worth your time. I've used my 'alone time' to really work on myself and I like what I've done. haha.

Having said that, I think it would be only fair for you to bring it up with him and talk about it. Communication is essential. Also, he can't be expected to change or make things better if he doesn't know that something is bothering you! Give him that chance. Boys are very simple; they can't read minds and you have to be very clear about everything. Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:56 pm

Ooooh I'll check out Boscia!

Thanks for the advice, it's kinda comforting to know someone else had this haha! I had a talk with him a couple of weeks ago, and it was THE SAME as what you just said, it was great for a couple of weeks and now it's back to what it was before.....I think he thinks I'm fine with how things are going but I'm really not :(

The thing that I do though is, I never say EVERYTHING that I am feeling, because I don't want to be too full on and whiny if you know what I mean haha.... But I really should because it never fully resolves and I always feel the same like a week later. I think I need to find a way to kind of put across that if he doesn't give me a little more attention (I don't expect all the time but at least some!) then it's over. It's just such a shame that I like him so much haha :( I'll definitely find a way to bring it up and tell him everything this time. I can't always blame him though because he's pretty busy, but sometimes I don't hear from him for days and yet he has the time to sit on fb chat and not talk to me -________- so dumb.

Woooow that second guy you talked about sounds like a doouucchhee!! huh.png Not cool. But I'm glad everything is working out so well for you! :D I bet moving is really exciting, I'd love to move to London for Uni but until next year I think I'm gunna stay at home and commute. Thanks a lot Celia! :D

SORRY to everyone reading this expecting to read about accutane HAHA gone off on a tangent but it really helps with stress to rant sometimes!

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/02/2012 4:30 pm

but sometimes I don't hear from him for days and yet he has the time to sit on fb chat and not talk to me -________- so dumb.

I totally get that! "UH, I can't hang out tonight because I have baseball" **4 hours later. Me: "Hey, what's up?" Him: "Not much, I'm just hangin out with JIM playing XBox"

Are you serious? AGAIN? This is like the 4th time this week! Forget it...

Try this: When you talk to him, make it as matter-of-fact as possible with as little emotion as you can manage. Just present the facts as you see it. "This is what I feel, this is what I need. What is it that I can do to improve our relationship (so he sees you are taking equal responsibility and not just blaming him). If things don't get better for me, I'm afraid we will have to part ways. As much as I like you I just don't see that we are as compatible as I would like us to be." I dunno. I'm no expert! hahaha

That's just me. I am pretty much know for being very honest (yet tactful). There is no guessing how I feel. Sometimes it goes my way, sometimes it doesn't but either way I know I have been heard. It's up to the other person to care enough to listen.

By the way, dating is directly related to self esteem which is directly related to acne. So there. Totally relevant.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/02/2012 5:03 pm

Yeah, you're right, I'll try that! Thanks! And totally agree about the self esteem thing, I'll feel SOO much more confident without it.

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/03/2012 1:02 pm

Boring rant over, sorry guys hahaha,

DAY 6

Nothing much to report atm to be honest! Had a little tiny back pain this morning but it's pretty much gone. I'm tired! But what's new there? Haha, uhhhm....I've had about 2 new spots whilst on accutane so I'm pretty sure the initial breakout hasn't started yet. Skin is a little drier and lips are a little drier today.....not as oily as yesterday for sure. Scalp is a little itchy I think, unless I'm just imagining it and making it itch more. Actually no I have a little bit of a flaky scalp eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeww I'm using head and shoulders though O_O I should get one for itchy scalp or something. I wanna nap :(

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/06/2012 8:37 am

Day 8 or 9? Wait I'm confused...

Lips are DEFINITELY drier now! Kinda feels like I've been in the cold constantly. Also two purple-y spots coming up, yaaayyy -___- oh well, not like I wasn't expecting it! All the gross....I'm not really sure what I can call them, they're not exactly blackheads? But weird tiny bumps are coming to the surface and they're falling off. I guess they're kinda like non inflamed mini acne haha.....I had a LOT on my forehead and it looks better already! Which is awesome. Nose is still very oily with flakes as well and around my nose is a little flaky. The rest of my skin isn't really dry yet....uhhm what else. Oh yeah, joint pain, my knees are a bit sore :( But I got that even before this so it could just be normal pain for me!

I think I'll take photos every two weeks, I just think that there'll be more progress to see that way instead of every week!

Take care everyone :)

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/07/2012 10:56 am

Ack guys, so my forehead's been doing reallllyyy good but I had a healing spot and it was a scab that was coming off, so yesterday I peeled off the scab (you're welcome for the beautiful image) and it's left a big red kinda raw/shiny bit of skin in it's place crazy.gif

Has this happened to anyone before? Will this scar? :(

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:32 am

WEEK 2

So I've been on this drug for two weeks! Good news about that weird raw patch, it's almost fully healed now smile.png

I've had a couple of spots come up, nothing major touchwood. The little bumps on my forehead have almost all come up and fallen off which is SOO AWESOME. I was so self conscious about my bumpy forehead, it hasn't been this smooth in months and months!! My cheeks have blackhead type bumps on them because they're all being pushed out too. I swear my skin is still a little oiler in some places than usual, or maybe it's the same as before....all I know is, t-zone is still oily, especially my nose haha! But flaky at the same time, not really very pretty. My nose feels like sandpaper cause all the gross stuff is coming out.

Have a bit of joint pain, feel a little tired and lips are dry....my tummy's been a bit iffy but my tummy is always iffy so yeah haha. FINGERS CROSSED that's as bad as it gets.

I took some pictures which I'm gunna upload now smile.png

Also does anyone have any advice about fine lines?? I was using lemon juice everyday for a while like a month before accutane and it obviously dried my skin out because I started noticing fine lines around my mouth :( is there any way I can diminish these?

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:56 am

Here are my photos from today!

MemberMember
(@true-north)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:43 pm

Hey! Found your log haha.

Just wanted to drop by and say goodluck and I look forward to your future updates :).

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:56 pm

Hey, thanks a lot! :)

MemberMember
(@saulrod)

Posted : 11/11/2012 7:28 pm

Wow I see a big improvement in your skin.. I'm glad your body has reacted well to the drug. Im on week four and my first 3 weeks my face broke out so bad and still is. I hate the initial break out is seems to never going away :( but I'm happy i don't have to take antibiotics anymore, they gave me fungi/yeast all over my body. Anyways good luck and I'm sure you'll be clear in no time in the pace your going. :) The way I look it at is that everyday were closer to clearer skin. :)

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/13/2012 4:10 pm

Thanks so much! :D That yeast infection does NOT sound fun :( that was one of the reasons why I wanted to come off antibiotics! Don't worry, the breakouts will definitely calm down! The day after I posted this the ironic thing is I got a huge spot on my right cheek -___- Oh well haha, I'm used to it!

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 11/13/2012 4:36 pm

Looks like you're doing great!

That spot will clear in no time :)

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/14/2012 5:21 pm

Thank you :D!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 11/16/2012 5:41 am

Almost 3 weeks

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but I SWEAR my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs are falling out more than usual!! :( I have no idea how much they fell out before accutane though so I could just be noticing it more, because I was paranoid about this happening when I was reading about the side effects and stuff.....But I don't remember them falling out this much :( I'm so stressed about it, which probably isn't helping..... it's like 1-3 eyelashes and 1-3 eyebrow hairs a day....which is probably normal but i don't know! AHRHRJGKSGVj so worried!!! My eyebrows and eyelashes are like the only two things I actually like about myself!!

Am I just being paranoid?? Can someone please give me advice? :(

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 11/16/2012 9:58 am

Chloe,

Take a chill pill-no pun intended-you are fine. Chances are you are just panicking. It tends to happen, you want noting more than to have complete skin and the smallest ink-linking it isn't going exactly as you plan, we humans tend to panic. I experienced the same thing. Paranoia about the most irrational things.

Make no mistake, we are taking a hardcore drug. There are people that have experienced some crazy business when it comes to hair loss. A young lady commented on my blog she experienced extreme hair loss. Quite unfortunate this happened to her, but ( I am not a medical professional) by and large it seems like that side affect isn't as prevalent as say dry skin.

If you are going to research it, read published academic papers. Do not google hair loss accutane and read yahoo answers or even this forum for that matter, you will find mostly disaster stories. If you are struggling to find academic research, ask your derm. He/she likely has endless volumes for your thirsty eyes.