Notifications
Clear all

A Daybook For Accutane

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/14/2012 2:23 am

Day 17

Ok, less ankle pain but still shitty. Went to the store to re-up on Aquaphor, got the Cetaphil Daily Cleanser too (didn't have CeraVe). It says it's for normal to oily skin... we'll see how it turns out, worst comes to worst I can get the CeraVe elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/15/2012 12:32 am

Day 18

The ankle pain has gotten better (wasn't very active today though), back pain has persisted. Lots of flakiness around my chin.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/16/2012 12:56 am

Day 19

Peeling has been a lot less noticeable as of recent, so I'm thinking the Cetaphil won't be a problem. There have been very minor changes to my skin, but I don't want to speak too soon about anything

Gonna mention that I was deadlifting yesterday and got pretty awful back pain after each of my sets that continued for like 30 seconds. I don't think it's my form and I didn't have this pain prior to Accutane. Hope it doesn't keep up, and really hope it doesn't carry over into squats.

MemberMember
(@lastditcheffort)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:39 am

Day 19

Peeling has been a lot less noticeable as of recent, so I'm thinking the Cetaphil won't be a problem. There have been very minor changes to my skin, but I don't want to speak too soon about anything

Gonna mention that I was deadlifting yesterday and got pretty awful back pain after each of my sets that continued for like 30 seconds. I don't think it's my form and I didn't have this pain prior to Accutane. Hope it doesn't keep up, and really hope it doesn't carry over into squats.

day 19 aswell, my dryness isn't that bad, but occasional nose bleeds and joint/muscle pains seem to be the problem. Last few days I've been really sore after the gym, not the morning after. This usually never happens so I'd say it's due to accutane. Still lifting tho :P

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:21 pm

Day 20

Minor peeling on both of my arms and several new, small eczema patches on my upper arms/shoulders.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/18/2012 4:12 pm

Day 21 | Week 3 / Day 22

Skin is looking up overall, I notice a decrease in whiteheads. Smaller inflamed legions that haven't reached a head haven't really changed much.

I haven't noticed ankle pain at all these last couple of days! That's good. Overall, I think I've just gotten more acclimated to the side effects in general... enjoying that while it lasts, because I expect to be bumped to 80mg next month.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/20/2012 2:39 am

Day 23

I don't know what to make of my skin. Sometimes it appears to be better than it was pre-Accutane, sometimes worse. Meh. I will say that I currently do not have any very large whiteheads.

Back pain is here to stay, though :(

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/20/2012 7:18 pm

Day 24

One week until my one month appointment smile.png. When I had my first blood test taken (prior to getting my script filled), I had an "elevated" ALP level, which was really just due to the fact that my bones are still growing. The whole fiasco delayed my starting of Accutane by one month, since I had to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist to be cleared. Imaginably, my ALP level is still going to be higher than the adult norm... could this prevent me from getting my second month's prescription? I really hope that isn't the case.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/21/2012 3:30 pm

Day 23

I don't know what to make of my skin. Sometimes it appears to be better than it was pre-Accutane, sometimes worse. Meh. I will say that I currently do not have any very large whiteheads.

Back pain is here to stay, though sad.png

I've found that too...one minute it appears worse, and the next morning it looks better. Strange how quickly things change, isn't it?

Sorry about the aches :(

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/22/2012 2:04 am

Day 25

More arm peeling. Aquaphor is sweeet, I've hardly noticed my lips recently. Amount of nosebleeds is on the decline, too. Aside from that, not too much to say.

I was wondering, does anyone know if you can do masks while on Accutane? I'd like to try to resolve some of my old red marks, but I don't know if it's advisable.

EDIT: sad.png Man. My acne FEELS better (literally) in that my skin is generally smoother, but my face still looks exactly as it did a month ago (if not worse), comparing before pics to current ones. Not that I expect it to look much better by this point, just unfortunate that the progress isn't visible.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/23/2012 6:01 am

Day 26

Well, good news: it looks like the blackhead exodus has begun. :) Counting my blessings right now.

I mentioned like 34567 days ago that the pictures I first uploaded were kind to my skin... here are some close-ups (taken yesterday).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/23/2012 4:24 pm

It IS looking better! Does it feel smoother? You could still be in the initial breakout stage, too.

I don't know if masks are safe. What kind of masks??? Marks will fade as you progress through your course. I wouldn't do anything too harsh or stripping right now.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/25/2012 4:38 am

Day 28

I missed a day ;__:

More blackheads falling out! Lots of things starting to come to a head, excited to see them leave. I've picked up some nasty red marks, but such is life.

It IS looking better! Does it feel smoother? You could still be in the initial breakout stage, too.

I don't know if masks are safe. What kind of masks??? Marks will fade as you progress through your course. I wouldn't do anything too harsh or stripping right now.

Definitely smoother, so at least there's that. The cheeks have smoothed out quite a bit, and my chin is currently acne-free. My forehead and sides (I don't know what you'd call it haha, the strips between the eyes and hair) are breaking out a bit, but not badly.

I was thinking of a turmeric mask... I don't it's stripping (I wouldn't risk anything stripping on tane, too many horror stories), but I think I'll hold off just to be safe. The unfortunate thing is that my marks tend to stay for 6-12 months :(, which is why I'd like to speed their fading process if possible.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/25/2012 12:47 pm

I'd be interested in an ultra moisturizing mask. Something like calendula and vitamin E are good for scarring and would not be stripping. Let us know if you find something!

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/26/2012 2:20 am

Day 29

One pill away from being done with the first month! Really been much of the same. I cut my hair today and it was just odd, fell differently, probably was just really dry due to Accutane. I'll do a bigger update tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/27/2012 1:51 am

catdance.gif Day 30 | 1 Month catdance.gif

First month done. Saw some extra sun today; not too bad, but about 45min outside in clear weather w/o sunblock. I noticed my legs getting pinkish, but they don't appear to have burned.

To wrap up the first 30 days:

- Headaches around day 5; may or may not have been Accutane-related, but have gone away

- Reliably had 2 or more nosebleeds a day around day 10; these have gone away

- Eczema patches began to develop on arms around day 20; I had one prior to Accutane, currently have six (small)

- Blackheads began to fall out around day 25; 75% gone at this point

- I've had massive peeling for most of the month; it seems to have settled as of recent

- Backkk pain, but also less noticeable now

- Things have generally just been coming to a head and dropping off; usually have at least a couple active whiteheads

- The lower half of my face has seen more improvement than the upper half

- Face feels different, but doesn't look too different

Successful first month overall! No real IB, definitely have made some improvement, but I was by no means one of the one month wonders.

Going in to the doctor's at around 11AM tomorrow... I hope that means my blood work will be done by day's end, but I'm not sure. If not, I'll have to go Friday, Saturday, and Sunday w/o Accutane. My real concern, though, is how my liver tests will turn out... I really hope they're ok and the doc understands the ALP thing.

MemberMember
(@dsumo402)

Posted : 07/27/2012 3:06 am

Glad it's working out for you! Keep up the good work man we all deserve to be clear =)

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 07/27/2012 7:38 am

Good luck and thank you for keeping this log! I start my accutane treatment in about a week and half (I hope) and I am TERRIFIED. It really, really helps to read about other people's experiences and how they deal with the side effects. We all deserve a life where we can put our best face forward ;)

I hope the rest of your treatment is smooooooth sailing!

~Celiawink.png

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/27/2012 7:55 am

Great recap of Month 1! I'm happy that it's been a relatively good month for you. Good luck as you continue!

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/27/2012 5:39 pm

Thanks guys and gals. Came back from the derm; he and I were both pleased with my progress thus far, and he went ahead and bumped me up to 80mg. Also told me that I'll probably be on a six month course. He's hopeful for what 80mg will be able to do.

I'm hoping to get my scrip filled tonight, but I haven't gotten word yet on the blood test results. The nurse said I should probably be getting that later this afternoon. I talked to the derm about the ALP; he suspected that it was due to bones or exercise in the first place, and if it comes back slightly "raised" again he won't be concerned.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/28/2012 1:45 am

Day 31

Good news! The blood tests came back fine, and I got my scrip filled smile.png. My ALP was actually in the normal range this time around, and the nurse didn't note that anything was elevated, so my liver seems to be responding to Accutane fairly well. So I'm on 80mg/day now, two 40mg pills a day. A little nervous to have my dose doubled-- I'm guessing the nosebleeds will come back for some time and other symptoms will be more severe. No changes as of yet, though.

While I was waiting for the scrip to be filled, I went ahead and picked up the CeraVe hydrating cleanser that gina recommended. I haven't tried it out, but I was just worried that the Cetaphil might be a bit drying, and being overly-dry is the LAST thing I need now that my mg/day got raised.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/29/2012 1:06 am

Day 32

Good so far! I feel like shit today for reasons unrelated to Accutane, but nothing bad to report. Face hasn't seen much change over the past few days. I should note that I've gotten 4-5 scrapes/cuts in the past week or two, and they're taking longer to heal than usual. I've also felt more sun sensitivity lately.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/29/2012 10:59 pm

Day 33

Some very inflamed lesions starting to form on the sides of my face. That's just what it's gonna be like for a while. Increased redness, too-- that might be due to the 80mg, or I may just have noticed it now.

MemberMember
(@lastditcheffort)

Posted : 07/30/2012 4:57 am

Day 33

Some very inflamed lesions starting to form on the sides of my face. That's just what it's gonna be like for a while. Increased redness, too-- that might be due to the 80mg, or I may just have noticed it now.

Can I ask how much do you weigh? I see you upped the dosage to 80mg/a day on second month already. My derm told me to go with 40mg for the entire course.

I was wondering if I should up my dosage too, reached 1 month mark few days ago. I'm currently taking 0,6mg/kg so it's a really low dosage.

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 07/30/2012 5:38 am

Roughly 150 lbs, or 68 kg, so I'm currently on 1.18mg/kg/day (about .6mg/kg/day beforehand, like you). For what it's worth, I'll probably be more like 160 lbs (73 kg) by the end of the course.

Cumulative dose is traditionally 120-150mg/kg. My cum. dose will be 194mg/kg (using the weight of 68 kg), which is high. Guessing you're about the same weight and also on a six month course, yours will be about 106mg/kg, which is on the lower side. My derm is big on Accutane and definitely isn't afraid of the bigger dosages... haha, you know how Accutane courses used to be four months on average but now tend to be six? When I asked how long my course would be, he mentioned that he was on the panel of dermatologists who decided to make that change.