Notifications
Clear all

Roisin's Roaccutane Journey In The Uk!

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/09/2012 8:33 am

I'm only a few days behind you (Day 4 today). I also have had breakouts near my lips. But some of the cystic acne along my jawline healed up last night - overnight!

I agree that Water is key! i've been super thirsty!

Good luck on your test! :)

~bodyandsoul

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/10/2012 3:13 am

It's amazing isn't it! Some nodules I had on their way to really got a shift on once I started taking accutane. Hooray :D

DAY 9

I hate to jinx it but my skin seems to be clearing already? It's very dry but my chin is the clearest it's ever been, bar a few under-the-skin bumps- but they seem to be flaking off instead of coming to a head? Very strange, I was expecting to be breaking out all over the place by now... My skin is flaking so much but it's all in the name of progress. Back appears to still be clear, and for the first time in over a year I'm going swimming! smile.png

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 07/11/2012 2:37 pm

Glad to hear your skin is clearing up! It's an amazing feeling, isn't it? Let's hope it stays that way! :)

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 07/12/2012 2:48 am

Glad to hear that your skin is clearing up, and that it has stopped flaking :)

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/14/2012 5:03 am

DAY 18

Sorry I've not wrote in a while, I'm currently on holiday in Ireland :) so over the past week my skin has gotten a little worse, but I expected it to, and it's not as horrendous as it was a few weeks ago when it broke out. It's just little whiteheads coming up and a few nodules over on one side of my chin, but they're not too bothersome in terms of size. It's more the fact that they're so purple that's annoying! A lot of red marks at the moment, but they'll go. My skin got reallyyyyyy flaky and dry and it was horrible, literally everything I put on it made it burn, but my auntie gave Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream to put on and that worked wonders! The flakiness has really gone down now and my face isn't unbearably dry :) My lips are pretty dry but not cracked or bleeding, however the spot I had in the corner of my lip has left a lovely cut right next to my mouth that reopens every time I open my mouth too wide and I feel like it's never going to heal :( It looks horrible! Back got two new big red spots, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be like. Staying positive!

MemberMember
(@lo0004)

Posted : 07/17/2012 4:03 am

hey! just been reading through your blog, i am thinking about starting Roaccutane in the UK too... I have an appointment in a few weeks and am finding it really useful reading about peoples experiences!!

I hope things go well for u and will continue reading :-)

x

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/17/2012 7:40 am

Hope your improvement is continuing during your holiday! Love your positive attitute :)

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/22/2012 1:03 pm

hey! just been reading through your blog, i am thinking about starting Roaccutane in the UK too... I have an appointment in a few weeks and am finding it really useful reading about peoples experiences!!

I hope things go well for u and will continue reading whistling.gif)

x

aww I'm glad I'm helping! :) I'd honestly recommend it, I've been on it for about 3 weeks now and to be honest it's not as worse as I thought it would be :) I'm still breaking out but my skin isn't as bumpy as it was before and the side effects aren't as terrifying as they seem!

and thank you bodyandsoul, I hope to remain that way :)

DAY 21

Feels like I've not written here in ages... well over last week my chin went a little crazy but it seems to have died down now, the nodules are also going and no more reappearing around my chin fingers crossed :P My skin is feeling a lot smoother and less bumpy and the redness seems to have died down. There's still quite a few bumps though and a big cluster of them near one of my eyebrows that appear to be surfacing as blackheads. I'm praying they won't become inflamed! My complexion looks kind of ok :) I've been breaking out around my hairline this week which is another hotspot for nodules to appear on my face so hopefully after these have gone (they're taking FOREVER) that'll be that- but they're so painful and frustratingly slow to go :( I'm doing my best now not to pick or squeeze but sometimes I give in and regret it :P My back is still doing alright, the two I mentioned earlier have left some lovely red marks and no others have surfaced :)

The side effects have started to kick in: I had a little nosebleed today, which was bizarre because I've never had one in my life :P I've got some bearable lower back pain that only really hurts when I lie on my side or bend down. Lips are dry; I had an ice lolly yesterday and the top layer of skin on my lip came clean off when it got stuck to it! Still cracking in the corners too; feeling a little like the Joker. Might talk to the dermatologist about what I can do about that. There's a few small patches of dry skin on my forearms, the skin around my mouth is still flaky but less red, tight and allergic reaction-y in general :P dry skin beats spots any day though!

MemberMember
(@mwfn)

Posted : 07/23/2012 6:49 am

Your posts make familiar reading.

It sounds like you're coming to the end of 'the purge' where the medication brings up everything that's been waiting and plotting underneath. Based on my experience you should continue to see gradual improvements, however don't be too put off if you have another breakout about 2 months in.

Go on to amazon and buy Dr Dan's lipbalm- you can't get a formulation like it in the UK because it has hydrocortizone in it. It will do a good job on the lips, but it is expensive and you will go through 1 every 2/3 days.

With the sun now out you also need to get a facial moisturiser with atleast SPF 15.

At the early stage you just need to accept that you're not going to be looking at your best, and unfortunately the ways to combat the side effects make you look worse. But it's better to be walking round now with a cream coated face and shiny lips than to end up with long term skin damage and a perma-burn face.

Sudocrem worked quite well on the outside of my lips, although I'm not sure that's one of it's intended purposes. It's a good back-up to have by the bed for when you wake up with very dry lips and cracks.

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/25/2012 5:16 am

Your posts make familiar reading.

It sounds like you're coming to the end of 'the purge' where the medication brings up everything that's been waiting and plotting underneath. Based on my experience you should continue to see gradual improvements, however don't be too put off if you have another breakout about 2 months in.

Go on to amazon and buy Dr Dan's lipbalm- you can't get a formulation like it in the UK because it has hydrocortizone in it. It will do a good job on the lips, but it is expensive and you will go through 1 every 2/3 days.

With the sun now out you also need to get a facial moisturiser with atleast SPF 15.

At the early stage you just need to accept that you're not going to be looking at your best, and unfortunately the ways to combat the side effects make you look worse. But it's better to be walking round now with a cream coated face and shiny lips than to end up with long term skin damage and a perma-burn face.

Sudocrem worked quite well on the outside of my lips, although I'm not sure that's one of it's intended purposes. It's a good back-up to have by the bed for when you wake up with very dry lips and cracks.

Yeah i'm hoping so! Though I still have a lot of small bumps around my chin but I'm hoping they don't become inflamed. Some small bumps dried up and flaked off so I realllyyyyy hope that's what happens to me! I'll have a look into it :) Yeah now that the UK's suddenly become like the tropics I really need to look after my skin. It's hard, but seeing even the slightest improvement when a problem area suddenly becomes smooth and normal is really encouraging and helps me keep on :) My chin is my worst area so I'm not expecting that to look wonderful anytime soon. I tried sudocrem but it seemed to really irritate my skin back when the accutane really dried it out, but I find savlon works just as well :)

DAY 23

The sun's suddenly come out in the uk so I'm slathered in suncream, but my complexion ABOVE my chin is looking really glowy and nice :) Sadly I can't say the same for my chin :P The hairline spots are dying down, I've only got one stubborn one still drying up, but apart from that my forehead feels awesome. I hope it will last. My back is still clear!!!! I'm wearing dresses that don't go all the way up to my neck which feels great in the warm weather :) The marks are still there but without spots with them they don't look so bad. My chin is currently a mess- but I'm able to deal with it knowing that it should get better.

Side effects- The back pain isn't as bad since I've not strained it as much, and the dry skin seems to be calming down a bit. Apart from that I can't really think of anything else :)

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/28/2012 2:28 am

DAY 26

I can't believe how good my back is looking! I've only got one tiny spot on it that's going away and the red marks are fading by the day. That's really made me feel more normal :D Everything that was on my skin seems to be healing up, a few small ones that originated from small bumps coming and going but my chin is still fairly bumpy... still got a long way to go.

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/29/2012 5:36 am

DAY 27

Oh my goodness my chin is a mess right now. about 20-30 inflamed spots covering it right now; gross. Not even makeup can disguise this breakout. Glad this is the week my boyfriend is away so he doesn't have to witness it.

Nothing else new to report other than a dry nose which is an absolute pain with hay fever. :(

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:47 am

SO sorry about your chin! I hope they start healing quickly! Glad to hear your back is doing better...that's awesome!

Day 25 here - we're almost through month 1!! :)

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/30/2012 1:36 pm

Arghh it's so gross! about 6 more came up this morning and I popped them in an angry rage and now my chin is a big bloody mess :( I'm praying that once these go away that will be the end of horrible chin breakouts! Everywhere else except there seems to be doing better so it's a real disappointment :( Today was my next appointment to get my next prescription so I can officially say I am 1 month through! :D Early days yet though :P

DAY 28

Went to go see my dermatologist today, said that my bloodwork was fine apart from something in my liver... he asked me if I'd taken any painkillers at all? Not too sure what that meant but he didn't seem too concerned and I feel fine. I'm not drinking or taking painkillers at all! He said that I knew my skin was going to get worse and I agreed. It's all the small recurring bumps coming up to the surface for good, I hope. I just wish they didn't have to do it all at once! :( My dosage has been upped to 40 mg, so hopefully more clearing will commence. Apart from my chin and my hairline that's being a slight pain in the ass everywhere else is fine. Some of the bumps near one of my eyebrows have gone and my nose feels real sandpaper-y; I think it's the blackheads coming out. But oh my goodness my chin, not even makup will cover it!!!!!!!!!!!

Side effects... my nose is real dry. It's horrid with hayfever and a pain in the ass to get to sleep with; as soon as I put vaseline up there I've got the urge to blow my nose because it feels blocked and when I breathe it makes whistling noises, concequently getting rid of the vaseline... and I need sleep for my skin to heal, so it's real annoying :( but I'm sure it'll be ok in the long run :) currently using carmex for lips, figured I need to move on to the stronger stuff now... praying for a miracle!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 07/30/2012 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the new breakouts! sad.png I hope they clear up soon!

Accutane can damage the liver, but it's good that your derm doesn't seem to be worried about it. Some people take liver supplements while on Accutane to help combat this. The reason your derm asked about painkillers is probably because you should avoid acetaminophen (Tylenol) during your course. Acetaminophen can damage the liver as well and you certainly don't want to risk mixing it with Accutane!

Another thing you might want to try for your nose is a saline solution. Early in my course I dealt with a lot of dried blood in my nose, but the saline solution I purchased helped with that by moisturizing my nose. It can also be used to flush your nose, so it could help to clear up any stuffiness.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 07/30/2012 4:28 pm

Youre so cute Roisin, best of luck honey. Im 20 days in and have to take a break for a bit because of wisdom teeth but I believe its really going to work.

Keep your chin up! It will get better.

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 07/31/2012 6:10 am

Sorry to hear about the new breakouts! sad.png I hope they clear up soon!

Accutane can damage the liver, but it's good that your derm doesn't seem to be worried about it. Some people take liver supplements while on Accutane to help combat this. The reason your derm asked about painkillers is probably because you should avoid acetaminophen (Tylenol) during your course. Acetaminophen can damage the liver as well and you certainly don't want to risk mixing it with Accutane!

Another thing you might want to try for your nose is a saline solution. Early in my course I dealt with a lot of dried blood in my nose, but the saline solution I purchased helped with that by moisturizing my nose. It can also be used to flush your nose, so it could help to clear up any stuffiness.

Yeah, I think I'm going to avoid taking painkillers at all costs now! I just really hope nothing goes wrong or I end up damaging my liver :(

Thanks, I'll look into that! Apart from the worsened acne it's definitely the most annoying side effect right now. Did it stop the dried blood?

Youre so cute Roisin, best of luck honey. Im 20 days in and have to take a break for a bit because of wisdom teeth but I believe its really going to work.

Keep your chin up! It will get better.

Hehe aww thank you! :) aww man but at least it's still in your system and you can go straight back on it when the wisdom teeth have settled down :D I believe in this drug too, the results are visible and permanent and it's worked for so many others and given them their lives back so I can only hope it works for me too :)

My chin will be up as soon as it's not spotty! Haha :P

DAY 29

A good night's sleep seems to have made my chin less red and bleedy, nonetheless the spots are still there. I seem to have stopped breaking out, fingers crossed they'll heal from here and I won't have a horrible mass chin breakout again during this course. Two hairline spots creeped up right next to two old ones that have pretty much gone, luckily they aren't as bad or noticable as their predecessors though still painful. Forehead, cheeks and back are clear :) for now anyway...

MemberMember
(@savannahjonaccutane)

Posted : 07/31/2012 7:18 am

Hey beautiful rooting for ya!!! (:

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 07/31/2012 8:38 am

The only other pills I've taken while on Accutane are Aleve and Advil for when I hurt my neck and had headaches. I try not to take much though, so I've been fine. If you ever do need any kind of painkiller, just avoid Tylenol! Your blood work will monitor your liver enzymes, so your derm will tell you if there's anything to worry about. You could also think about taking a liver supplement if you're worried.

The saline solution really helped with the dried blood. It got rid of it completely! Such a relief too because the dried blood is the worst!

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 08/01/2012 7:04 am

Hey beautiful rooting for ya!!! (:

Thank you! :)

The only other pills I've taken while on Accutane are Aleve and Advil for when I hurt my neck and had headaches. I try not to take much though, so I've been fine. If you ever do need any kind of painkiller, just avoid Tylenol! Your blood work will monitor your liver enzymes, so your derm will tell you if there's anything to worry about. You could also think about taking a liver supplement if you're worried.

The saline solution really helped with the dried blood. It got rid of it completely! Such a relief too because the dried blood is the worst!

I've taken some ibuprofen for some nodules but I'm not planning to take a lot. That might be a good idea; I'll look into it :)

That's awesome! And it really is grim isn't it :(

DAY 30

I have a nodule right in the centre of my hairline that luckily my fringe can cover, but it's a very unfortunate spot :( The other two are still going strong, so I'm trying to tackle them as best I can by putting a hot flannel/ frozen peas on them and taking ibuprofen for the inflammation. Such a pain though, the higher dosage may be behind this :(

My chin is so red and flaky and dry. To top it off I've got lots of little lumps emerging from where my last breakout just was. I'm praying they dry up and flake off! This must be my real IB, but for it to start 1 month in really really sucks :( 1 spot on my back, nothing serious or painful.

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 08/02/2012 5:00 am

DAY 31

Skin still a mess, nothing really changed except for new nodules... my chin where I had the huge breakout has gone a reddy-orangey colour and it's really scaly and feels like a burn. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? I'm meant to be going out tomorrow for a friend's birthday but I really don't want to go looking like this...

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 08/02/2012 11:21 am

DAY 30

I have a nodule right in the centre of my hairline that luckily my fringe can cover, but it's a very unfortunate spot sad.png The other two are still going strong, so I'm trying to tackle them as best I can by putting a hot flannel/ frozen peas on them and taking ibuprofen for the inflammation. Such a pain though, the higher dosage may be behind this sad.png

My chin is so red and flaky and dry. To top it off I've got lots of little lumps emerging from where my last breakout just was. I'm praying they dry up and flake off! This must be my real IB, but for it to start 1 month in really really sucks sad.png 1 spot on my back, nothing serious or painful.

I'm on Day 28 and I also just had a big chin breakout. I saw improvement on my whole face within the first two weeks, but the second half of this month has seen a fair amount of breakouts. Overall my skin still feels less congested and the breaking out is nothing I'm not used to so I'm not sure if I can classify it as an "IB"...either way, I'm ready to stop breaking out for good!

I hope your second month shows lots of improvement!

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 08/03/2012 11:53 am

It sucks doesn't it! I'm glad to hear you're feeling like there's improvement bodyandsoul :D tell me about it, my skin is really breaking out at the moment and it makes me want to hide under a rock, but the parts of my face that don't get spots seem really lovely... I hope the rest of my face will follow suit!

DAY 32

Ergh :( I feel like my skin is getting worse by the day, most of my actives came to a head my skin is still peeling and the skin underneath is raw and sore and horrible. Luckily I was able to pop the big hairline 3 but I look like I've been bruised even though they've shrank significantly in size. I had a blackhead and a tiny zit beside my eyebrow that needed to get squeezed, plus 2 on one of my smile creases that are now huge due to being over squeezed. My skin is so fragile and red and painful and I really wish it could repair, I'm doing all I can but right now I just feel like a monster and I don't want to leave my home :( I'm going out tonight for a friend's birthday but I really, really don't want to. Guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 08/03/2012 1:44 pm

Aw I feel your pain on the breakouts! I swear my skin looks ten times worse than it ever has before, and I too have a load of social commitments coming up. It sucks so bad. Hopefully if we can all get through it we wont have to deal with this again!

I've heard a lot of people saying 3 months is the charm, and my god do I hope so!

MemberMember
(@littleflower)

Posted : 08/04/2012 6:34 am

Aw I feel your pain on the breakouts! I swear my skin looks ten times worse than it ever has before, and I too have a load of social commitments coming up. It sucks so bad. Hopefully if we can all get through it we wont have to deal with this again!

I've heard a lot of people saying 3 months is the charm, and my god do I hope so!

Yeah same, it's NEVER been this bad :( I just hope it's true what they say and it does suddenly just click and get better... lucky to say I'm not breaking out anywhere that's unusual for me to break out, but I think there isn't a clear place where I do at the moment! So annoying :( Still, I'd rather have it all in one go for a month and then never have to deal with again :P My friends have been really supportive too which is lovely, but I'm not so good with meeting new people.

DAY 32

Well the breaking out SEEMS to have slowed down... lots of red marks and clogged pores, a few will probably have come to a head by later on or tomorrow. Praying for improvement, or at lease a huge delay in the amount of spots coming up at once. Nothing painful apart from a hairline nodule just in front of my ear where my sideburn sort-of hairs are. Some clogged pores/ blackheads I've had for months got forced out yesterday so I'm guessing the accutane is really starting to kick in now. I just hope this month goes quickly.