Notifications
Clear all

Jake's Uk Post-Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 10/10/2012 7:19 am

Day 155 (22 Weeks)

One Week to go. SEVEN DAYS to go.

I've been dreaming about this last week for so long.

Okay this week, I had a small spot above my lip, I never used to get them there, it even had a green pus filled head as well, but it went within 2 days, I can live with that.

Side effects wise, this week has been hard. My eyes have been so sore. They're really red and bloodshot now, especially the left one, in the morning it hurts to open them and they're all crusty and a bit oozy, a little wash and some eye drops though and they're good to go. If I was in England I'd go to the doctor, but here you have to pay, plus I have to idea how to comfortably explain that A) I'm on Accutane and B) I had laser eye surgery 6 months ago, both of which complicate the situation, in French. It's not too serious, midday they seem to look normal again, if they ever actually stick together or stay red all day then of course I'll go, but for now just monitoring the situation.

Back Pain has been a bit of a bitch too, especially after Deadlifts. Although I'm sure that If i weren't weightlifting it wouldn't hurt, and again, it's not too bad, it's only painful right after my workout or if someone lyes on my back, but won't miss it that's for sure.

I'm so excited to be off this stuff.

No more dry eyes, no more tiredness (literally now a days after being awake for 12 hours I'm ready for bed, and If I don't get 89 hours sleep I feel dreadful the next day)

Being able to stay up past 10pm!

Being able to drink alcohol!

No more muscle or back pain, my lifts had better go through the roof biggrin.png

No more horrible, dry dull hair or dandruff.

No more falling out eyelashes / eyebrows, seriously I lose 10-20 a day.

and most importantly, no more red, dry skin.

I'm not being too hasty though, I know that it takes 4-8 weeks for it to leave your system, and upto 6 months for the facial redness to go, but I'll just be glad to know that each day I'm on the road to normalness.

So,

Unless anything out of the ordinary happens, I'll see you all next week for my last On-Accutane post!

Thanks to everyone who's been reading so far, I really hope I've been detailed and concise enough.

And remember, any questions at all on this love-hate miracle drug, don't hesitate to ask.

And off I go for my weekly Tea & Patisserie with my French Speaking Buddy.

Such the best afternoon of the week.

Mmmm.

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 10/16/2012 10:47 am

Day 161 (23 Weeks)

DONE :D

Finally, I am Finished! Took my last pills this morning. I think even if I had longer to go I would have stopped. This 'cold' I've had for almost 4 weeks now has really been getting me down, its blossomed into a lovely case of conjunctivitis too, my eyes are red, sore, dry, gooey and crusty all the time now, finally caved and went to the doctor to get some eyedrops today. I have been sleeping increasingly badly, and my back is now super sore after each Gym session.

My skin is clear though, a lot of redness, a lot of dryness, but that should hopefully get better in time. Overall I would say it has definitely been worth it, I'd have taken any side effect for clear skin, but these side effects especially this past month have been really bad. I don't think I'd ever take Accutane again, touch wood I won't need to :)

I'll keep on updating you on how quickly I notice my side effects diminishing. Hopefully this conjunctivitis clears up asap.

I'm going back to England for reading week in 11 days, and will be drinking that first night back, not much, but I've totally abstained except for once on my course and for many months before too when I was on antibiotics. I'll let you know how that goes too.

I'm so happy to have finished. It's a bit overwhelming, I feel, idk, free? That's a bit cringey.

Really looking forward to being able to have coffee with breakfast tomorrow instead of water because of those damn pills, looking forward aswell to not having all the stomach growls after I take them.

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 10/24/2012 12:07 pm

1 Week Post-Accutane

Hard to believe it's been a week now since I took those pills.

Side effects wise, my lips and eyes are noticeably less dry - I'm down to one eye drop just at night now and just one or two applications of vaseline, which is good!

Back Pain is already getting less and less.

Although, I still have really bad nausea, my face is still really red, my eyebrows and hair are still falling out a bit more than usual, and I'm still not sleeping very good.

Here's hoping they all fade a bit more next week, but still glad to be seeing things diminish already :D

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 11/02/2012 11:04 am

2 Weeks Post-Accutane

Had my last dermatologist appointment today, formally been discharged!

Still no breakouts, skin looking lovely, redness is definitely slowly getting better.

In terms of side effects, my lips are no longer dry, I only have to apply vaseline maybe once every 2 days, and it is very cold dry and windy here at the moment, and I had dry lips before Accutane anyway, so I'd say they're 100% back to normal, as is the inside of my nose which was very sore and crusty (ew), totally back to normal!

My eyelashes and eyebrows are still falling out though, around 10 a day, which is slightly scary, but my hair is already not as dry, washing it twice a week now.

Back aches are also going away, its now just as I get into bed when I feel it now, I still have this lingering cold/sinus problem though which I hope will go away soon, so yeah, overall side effects rapidly going away, skin looking wonderful.

I'll leave you with two pictures, both aren't super clear but hey,

My skin Pre-Accutane:

My skin this weekend, Post-Accutane:

My god I love Accutane.

It has changed my life.

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:21 am

3 Weeks Post-Accutane

Well, this cold is still lingering, not really sure if I can blame accutane for this though.

My lips are now 100% back to normal, and my hair is also getting back to normal, It's still sort of dry (damaged, split-ends, dull, pretty lifeless) but it isn't bone dry now, after 4 days of not washing it it starts to look like it needs a wash, which is new.

My skin is still pretty red, not so much dry anymore but the redness isn't fading as quick as I'd have liked, altho I was prepared for this.

Back ache's have been diminishing still, now just get an odd one after a workout like anyone else,

Sleep is still not great, don't know why, just can't sleep all the night through without waking up a few times which sucks.

That's all I guess, back in a week! x

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 11/12/2012 11:34 pm

Your skin looks awesome mate, really clear.

Hopefully within a month or two you'll stop getting any acne, on you back, after your weights sessions.

Glad accutane worked for you, and good luck with getting over your cold quickly.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 11/28/2012 5:47 am

6 Weeks Post-Accutane

Hey guys. So, had two very very small spots, I wouldn't even call them spots, they were tiny little slightly raised pores with stuff in them that disappeared as soon as I washed that morning, so don't count.

My skin is still really really red, dryness not so much a problem now, I'm currently just using my face wash and moisturiser once every three days (just when I shave) because I find using any sort of product aggrevates the redness.

A bigger problem I have though is the return of the rash. You might remember back in August I broke out in a Hives-Like rash, super itchy and hot, on 3 places on my body, but after a few days they went away - well this rash came back last week all over my entire neck and chest and even stomach,after 9 days of applying creams it is just not going away. It's so so itchy I have never experienced anything like it, it's horrible. Being in France I went to the nurse who recommended I go and see a doctor and get blood tests done, but that would cost up over 50 which I just don't have - so I'm hoping it goes away asap, I'm back in England in 4 weeks so I'll get it checked out there, but it looks like the exact same one I had before, last time I was told my skin was dry and I had to moisturize - but my chest skin definitely ISN'T dry.

Here's hoping it goes away asap.

Oh Hair washing too, I'm up to twice a week but it's still dry,

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 12/12/2012 3:23 pm

8 Weeks Post-Accutane

Rash has died down, I think I found the culprit; Protein Powder - I paid extra for a Lactose-Free supposedly pretty decent one with few additives which sensitive people like me raved about, but no, my body still seems to be allergic to it. I'm just glad the rash has gone.

Anyway, skin, lately my pores seem to be getting bigger? I have also had a few 'lumps which seem to become open pores/little scars, not really sure what they are, it's almost as if they're deep blocked pores which are only just 'surfacing'.

Face is still pretty red, it seems to come and go, always super red after a shower and eating, I'm hoping it starts to die away soon.

Hair is still dry/damaged but does need washing now 3 times a week. Also had a little spot in my hair the other day, not worried about it too much :)

Aches gone, sleeping still not perfect but that's probably down to exam stress, so yeah.

All in all, Going on Accutane was still the best decision I've ever made :)

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 03/11/2013 10:05 am

20 Weeks (4 Months) Post Accutane

Haven´t been here in a while, well. Skin is still clear :) Have had a few tiny tiny pimples, aka, just blocked pores that are barely even visible, which is great.

My skin is still very red and scarred, aka lots of hyper pigmentation, but I was expecting this for the first 6 months so if it´s still around in 2 months time, then I´ll go back to my derm.

My hair is still dry, dull and damaged-looking which is annoying, but again, gonna hold out 2 months more.

I still feel a bit, bleh, that feeling of always having a cold/head cold, just been diagnosed with a really nasty persistant sinus infection and so hopefully the treatment for that should improve things.

One thing I have noticed though is that I can´t really drink still anymore. When I do drink, I react still like I did when I was on accutane, aka dizzy, lightheaded, and just really drunk after not many, and I still have awful, awful hangovers every single time I drink, the kind where I feel like I´m dying, I never had these before taking the drug.

I´ll update again in 4 weeks.

x

MemberMember
(@echron)

Posted : 03/19/2013 8:14 pm

Haven´t been here in a while, well. Skin is still clear smile.png Have had a few tiny tiny pimples, aka, just blocked pores that are barely even visible, which is great.

My skin is still very red and scarred, aka lots of hyper pigmentation, but I was expecting this for the first 6 months so if it´s still around in 2 months time, then I´ll go back to my derm.

My hair is still dry, dull and damaged-looking which is annoying, but again, gonna hold out 2 months more.

I still feel a bit, bleh, that feeling of always having a cold/head cold, just been diagnosed with a really nasty persistant sinus infection and so hopefully the treatment for that should improve things.

One thing I have noticed though is that I can´t really drink still anymore. When I do drink, I react still like I did when I was on accutane, aka dizzy, lightheaded, and just really drunk after not many, and I still have awful, awful hangovers every single time I drink, the kind where I feel like I´m dying, I never had these before taking the drug.

x

Glad to hear your getting on well Jake. Did your pores begin to close afterwords or do you still have big pores? I'm interested as I'm about 2 months off Tane and have quite open pores still and it's bugging me!

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 04/27/2013 1:13 pm

Haven´t been here in a while, well. Skin is still clear smile.png Have had a few tiny tiny pimples, aka, just blocked pores that are barely even visible, which is great.

x

Glad to hear your getting on well Jake. Did your pores begin to close afterwords or do you still have big pores? I'm interested as I'm about 2 months off Tane and have quite open pores still and it's bugging me!

Mine are still big yeah, but they were sort of big before hand anyway