Notifications
Clear all

Starting (Ro)Accutane. Arghhhhhhh!

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 05/20/2012 6:30 am

hey just came across this post. Just saying I hope things start looking up for you very soon and try and keep your mind occupied with other stuff.

Also just random, I think its cute how you Brits call redbeets "beetroot" whistling.gif)

Thanks, that's very kindsmile.png A redbeet? Never heard them called that before lol

Day 84

Mild improvement from last week. At least my left cheek has (hopefully) stopped breaking out. Chin area is still a little suspect though. Now that the British summer (well I say summer, more like a slightly milder winter) has arrived I should really invest in some sun-cream, was caught in the sun yesterday and looked like a human prune by the evening. If you don't want to look like a human prune, invest in sun-cream. And, unlike me, do it before day 84!

Still, 12 weeks on this stuff now. Had hoped I'd be near to the 'all clear' stage by this point. Alas, still much more improvement needed.

Skin: 3/5 (better than last week, but still nowhere near clear)

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 05/27/2012 4:39 pm

Day 91

13 weeks down, 6 to go. Skin went shitty again for a few days after I shaved earlier in the week. Not been so bad though the last few days. Got caught in the sun a bit this week and, although I haven't actually burnt, my face has gone a further shade of rudolph-red. Wonderful. It now appears like I'm in a permanent state of embarrassment/blushing, or that I've been on the wine persistently for the last 10 years.

Skin: 3/5

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 05/27/2012 4:56 pm

we started on the same day! do you use shaving cream?

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 05/27/2012 5:57 pm

we started on the same day! do you use shaving cream?

Yeah I do, with manual disposables as well since I've heard electric razors usually cause far worse irritation on dodgy skin, and I look utterly ridiculous with ANY kind of facial hair. You're 13 weeks down also?? How is your treatment going? I would click on the link to your log but my laptop's deciding to be ultra-insubordinate..

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 05/27/2012 7:06 pm

Yeah I do, with manual disposables as well since I've heard electric razors usually cause far worse irritation on dodgy skin, and I look utterly ridiculous with ANY kind of facial hair. You're 13 weeks down also?? How is your treatment going? I would click on the link to your log but my laptop's deciding to be ultra-insubordinate..

If that's irritating you maybe you should use lotion to shave with instead of shaving cream, its going to be more gentle on your skin.

Yes I am, started on feb 27th too lol, strangely enough. It's going alright honestly, I don't get many side effects. My skin has cleared up I'm just waiting on two cysts to go away. I haven't seem much improvement on them but I'm hoping month 4 does the magic, and I hope that's the case with you as well!

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 05/27/2012 7:09 pm

Day 91

13 weeks down, 6 to go.

Hey mate just keep positive, some people don't clear up completely til a few weeks after their course has finished. Similar to what you had done, I have done a lot of research on other peoples blogs, and they have similar improvements to you and get improving after their treatment. I am also guessing by the fact that you watched England's game that you love football. What club do you support in the English Premier League? I'm a Chelsea supporter myself, would definitely want to go over there sometime to watch a game or two. Good luck with the remaining six weeks of your treatment.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 05/28/2012 4:06 am

If that's irritating you maybe you should use lotion to shave with instead of shaving cream, its going to be more gentle on your skin.

Yes I am, started on feb 27th too lol, strangely enough. It's going alright honestly, I don't get many side effects. My skin has cleared up I'm just waiting on two cysts to go away. I haven't seem much improvement on them but I'm hoping month 4 does the magic, and I hope that's the case with you as well!

ok thanks for the heads-up, I might try that. Same with the side-effects, apart from the dryness (expected anyway) I only suffer from occasional back-ache. Oh and the redness. That's definitely the worst of all of them. Good luck with you treatment!

Day 91

13 weeks down, 6 to go.

Hey mate just keep positive, some people don't clear up completely til a few weeks after their course has finished. Similar to what you had done, I have done a lot of research on other peoples blogs, and they have similar improvements to you and get improving after their treatment. I am also guessing by the fact that you watched England's game that you love football. What club do you support in the English Premier League? I'm a Chelsea supporter myself, would definitely want to go over there sometime to watch a game or two. Good luck with the remaining six weeks of your treatment.

Cheers man. Yeah I'm a Liverpool fan for the premier league, although my local club is Nottingham Forest. Once upon a time they used to be good! Although the same could be said of Liverpool atm after a woeful season.. Chelsea eh? I bet you enjoyed last weekend! How on earth you managed to win the champions league I'll never know.. Still, can't say I didn't enjoy them beating the ze Germans at penalties

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 05/28/2012 8:44 pm

Yea I get back aches as well, they can really fuck up your day!

Thankyou! good luck to you too!

I read all of your log, you're quite the writer, i like your sense of humour, really made me laugh!

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 05/29/2012 5:03 pm

Yea I get back aches as well, they can really fuck up your day!

Thankyou! good luck to you too!

I read all of your log, you're quite the writer, i like your sense of humour, really made me laugh!

Yeah I hate back-aches, the withered old person look is never good!

Thanks very much, I figured acne is such a pain in the arse that you might as well laugh about it, makes it a tad easier to deal with..well that's what I think anyway. Also I have a very odd mind. Put the two together and you get a very weird log!

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/03/2012 6:51 am

Day 98

Shit nearly 100 days on this stuff, SCARY. Anyway this week has actually been fairly good, right cheek was a bit suspect for a few days but aside from that it's been pretty decent. Also, chin has remained clear from ANY acne for like an entire week now, something which I don't think has ever happened at any time in the last 4-5 years. Alas, my alcohol discipline has died a horrid death. I finished my exams last week, and with it my degree (I feel so old, no wait I AM so old *moans uncontrollably*), and so basically have been on a week-long bender. I don't feel bad at all, but I know I should really scale it down. After all I only have 5 weeks scheduled of this drug left now so it'd be stupid to fuck anything up at this point by being any more irresponsible than I already am being.

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/04/2012 12:50 am

I feel so old, no wait I AM so old *moans uncontrollably

Please don't say that. I am a few years older, and I still have a year and a half left- four sessions/semesters. How depressing lol. Congrates on finishing your degree mate. If you want to feel young, go to the Greek Islands (July) or America/Mexico (March) and party it up with those under 26 years old. Though preferably once you've finished your accutane course.

MemberMember
(@arakhanna)

Posted : 06/04/2012 3:16 am

Hey peck,

I am at 60 days and my eyes are kiling me. Dryness abound. Did you feel the same at that stage.

Thanks,

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/04/2012 8:36 am

I feel so old, no wait I AM so old *moans uncontrollably

Please don't say that. I am a few years older, and I still have a year and a half left- four sessions/semesters. How depressing lol. Congrates on finishing your degree mate. If you want to feel young, go to the Greek Islands (July) or America/Mexico (March) and party it up with those under 26 years old. Though preferably once you've finished your accutane course.

haha yeah sorry man, it's my 21st on Friday and it suddenly struck me the other day: "Shit I'm gonna be 21 and a graduate!" Scary. Did one of those summer week-long drink holidays last summer in the Greek islands. It was good..I think..(can't remember that much of it in all honesty). How's your course going so far anyway?

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 06/04/2012 8:36 am

Well congrats! Whats your degree on? lol we are the same age, I feel really old as well, Its a real epidemic these days. In reality though our lives are just starting out thumbsup.gif . A doctor I had not too long ago asked me this question 'What do you have that Bill Gates doesn't?" And I just sat there for about 5 minutes googling my eyes and scratching my head while he laughed. At last I looked at him and went 'Is that a trick question?" and the doctor said 'your youth.'. BOOYAA

Glad to see you're doing somewhat better though =). I've had very mild, slow improvement. You wouldnt even be able to notice lol.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/04/2012 8:52 am

Hey peck,

I am at 60 days and my eyes are kiling me. Dryness abound. Did you feel the same at that stage.

Thanks,

Hey arakhanna,

In terms of my eyes, they do get a tad dry and irritating when outdoors and it's a bit breezy, but in all honesty I've been fairly fortunate with that and most of the other side-effects. Apart from dryness and the redness I've only had occasional back-ache really. Are you on a high dosage? If it gets really unpleasant it may be worth having a word with your dermatologist since they will know which eye-drops are best if you need them, or even lower your dosage a little if it gets really horrid. Personally while I find these forums helpful for sharing experiences, with the amount of products that are talked about here, it makes it incredibly confusing what to know what to try/buy. Best speak to someone who is qualified in this.

Good luck :)

Well congrats! Whats your degree on? lol we are the same age, I feel really old as well, Its a real epidemic these days. In reality though our lives are just starting out thumbsup.gif . A doctor I had not too long ago asked me this question 'What do you have that Bill Gates doesn't?" And I just sat there for about 5 minutes googling my eyes and scratching my head while he laughed. At last I looked at him and went 'Is that a trick question?" and the doctor said 'your youth.'. BOOYAA

Glad to see you're doing somewhat better though =). I've had very mild, slow improvement. You wouldnt even be able to notice lol.

"What do you have that Bill Gates doesn't?" I think I would have just answered, "Acne."

haha true though, I'd rather be 21 with many years ahead then in my late-50s sitting on a wad of cash tongue.png

Degree's in history. I find it really interesting, but can't help feel that I've spent my last 3 years studying about different ways in which people died basically! How about you?

And thanks, hope yours continues to improve, even if slowly. Until like 2 weeks ago I'd barely seen any improvement whatsoever, never lose hope! (wow just realised how cringe-worthy that sounded sorry lol)

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 06/04/2012 9:02 am

"What do you have that Bill Gates doesn't?" I think I would have just answered, "Acne."

haha true though, I'd rather be 21 with many years ahead then in my late-50s sitting on a wad of cash tongue.png

Degree's in history. I find it really interesting, but can't help feel that I've spent my last 3 years studying about different ways in which people died basically! How about you?

And thanks, hope yours continues to improve, even if slowly. Until like 2 weeks ago I'd barely seen any improvement whatsoever, never lose hope! (wow just realised how cringe-worthy that sounded sorry lol)

Nah acne grows out of you, not a big deal. Plus he was trying to be motivating when I was feeling down about the acne lol!

History is pretty interesting. Lol thats funny. Are you doing a masters or are you done with school?

Im majoring in psychology. Im actually moving to england next year

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/04/2012 5:27 pm

Nah acne grows out of you, not a big deal. Plus he was trying to be motivating when I was feeling down about the acne lol!

History is pretty interesting. Lol thats funny. Are you doing a masters or are you done with school?

Im majoring in psychology. Im actually moving to england next year

Nah I'm studying a law conversion course next year, then I'm done with uni.

Moving to England?? Wow, whereabouts? Is that like Erasmus scheme?

MemberMember
(@simplicita)

Posted : 06/04/2012 6:32 pm

No I think that's only within the EU. I would just be on a student visa,doing my masters. I'm hoping to move to London. I'm still trying to figure everything out but that's where I want to be (I think) lol. Everything seems to be way too expensive in London though, and the wages very low so Im sceptical.

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/04/2012 6:46 pm

haha yeah sorry man, it's my 21st on Friday and it suddenly struck me the other day: "Shit I'm gonna be 21 and a graduate!" Scary. Did one of those summer week-long drink holidays last summer in the Greek islands. It was good..I think..(can't remember that much of it in all honesty). How's your course going so far anyway?

Yeah from what I've heard the Islands seem like a drunken holiday. That's what I plan on doing after my degree, otherwise go to America's Spring Break. I'm only a week in on 20 mg pre course stage, about a quarter of my weight, so thankfully I don't have any real side effects or too bad of an initial breakout- so far.

Also happy 21st for Friday, just in case I'm not on here on Friday, hope you have an awesome day.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/05/2012 5:48 pm

No I think that's only within the EU. I would just be on a student visa,doing my masters. I'm hoping to move to London. I'm still trying to figure everything out but that's where I want to be (I think) lol. Everything seems to be way too expensive in London though, and the wages very low so Im sceptical.

Yeah London is an expensive city, an amazing place though. It's almost a state within a state, so much goes on there, it's completely different to anywhere else in the country. You'll love living there if that's where you end up :) I'm not so sure on the wages though, they're fairly decent by western European standards, although that of course depends on what job sectors you are looking at

Yeah from what I've heard the Islands seem like a drunken holiday. That's what I plan on doing after my degree, otherwise go to America's Spring Break. I'm only a week in on 20 mg pre course stage, about a quarter of my weight, so thankfully I don't have any real side effects or too bad of an initial breakout- so far.

Also happy 21st for Friday, just in case I'm not on here on Friday, hope you have an awesome day.

Thanks mate, I had planned to get completely slaughtered but I'll have to go steady(ish) because of the Roaccutane lol. Fingers crossed you don't get a horridly severe/long initial breakout! I believe some people are fortunate to not get them at all..

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/05/2012 7:24 pm

Thanks mate, I had planned to get completely slaughtered but I'll have to go steady(ish) because of the Roaccutane lol. Fingers crossed you don't get a horridly severe/long initial breakout! I believe some people are fortunate to not get them at all..

Ha 'stead(ish)'. Lets put it this way- for my 21st it was a last minute decision to drink and 750 mls of bourbon and a quarter a bottle of tequila later, in about four hours, I was wasted to say the least. It's funny how if you don't plan on drinking much, if anything, you end up drinking the most. Good luck in your attempt to go stead-ish, may you be more successful then I was. Either way it will be an awesome day and night.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:08 am

Ha 'stead(ish)'. Lets put it this way- for my 21st it was a last minute decision to drink and 750 mls of bourbon and a quarter a bottle of tequila later, in about four hours, I was wasted to say the least. It's funny how if you don't plan on drinking much, if anything, you end up drinking the most. Good luck in your attempt to go stead-ish, may you be more successful then I was. Either way it will be an awesome day and night.

yeah I didn't go steady in the end, ah well you'e only 21 once I guess! Although I can't say I drank the stuff you listed haha. Thanks though, it was an awesome night..so I've been told..

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/09/2012 7:26 am

Day 104

Excellent week, this stuff is FINALLY working, and working brilliantly I may add. Had like 2 spots all week, chin has still been clear of anything for 2 weeks. Amazing. *Cue happiness* Side-effects also seem to alleviated over the last 3-4 weeks. Yeah sure the dryness is still pretty intense as well as the redness on occasion, but the back-ache is much less of an issue, although I don't know if that's psychological since I've gotten used to having the spinal capacity of my friends Gran (she's 84 btw). One thing though, less acne makes me focus more on the slight scarring and very prominent red marks I have. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers!

Skin: 4/5

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/16/2012 4:51 pm

Day 111

Another great week, had like 2 come up on my right cheek but they were relatively small. Other than that I'm COMPLETELY clear! Nothing much else to report, although I'm beginning to get quite self-conscious of the red flushing when it's at it's worst. It comes on when I'm slightly anxious and makes me look like an inflated tomato. It's self-perpetuating too. The more embarrassed I feel, the redder I get, and the redder I get, the more embarrassed I become. Urghhh. Ah well, it SHOULD go away after treatment. I flippin' hope so anyway..

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 06/23/2012 5:35 am

Day 118

All continuing to go well, only 2 and a half weeks left to go now. Looking forward to finishing, I'm quite bored of moisturising intensely only to find that an hour later my face has once again taken on the appearance of sun-burnt sandpaper. As I type this I'm eating chocolate biscuits, I reckon I could literally smear the chocolate on my face, leave it there all day, and I still wouldn't get a single spot. That's how dry and acne-resistant this medication makes you. It's a very effective drug, but also extremely crude in its mechanism of effect. Ah well, it works, and like the majority of people on this site as a last resort Roaccutane really isn't all that bad :) So far anyway..