Clear all

Starting Accutane..about time (Pics)

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/01/2011 6:11 pm

Hey you!

Aren't u quite the stud!

U r going to be amazing after accutane!

I def need to get the guts to post some pics, but I think ill wait til day one.

Oh, and I have heard that anti dandruff shampoos r best, and if u start getting really dry scalp/hair to only wash 2-3 times a week. U could even condition on the off days.

Keep us posted!

Oh, and here is a little Chuck for you

Stud! for sure!!jk lol I hope my skin really improves!!! My confidence needs it in my last year or undergrad. next yearl...

But some people post pics with their eyes blacked out/ blurred, but i figured i have facebook with pictures so why not here? lol o welll....So no excuses for you to post some pics!!

Ya, I def need something with my scalp...really itchy!

And Chuck is the man......"Pollen is allergic to Chuck Norris."

^ one of many chuck norris facts!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/02/2011 12:34 am

Lmao, that's awesome! I totally have a Chuck Norris app on my phone!

Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer

MemberMember
(@wsabi)

Posted : 05/02/2011 1:26 am

I'm currently on my 3rd day of accutane. I haven't had an IB and I'm really hoping I don't have any because I was taking an antibiotic just before Claravis/Accutane. I definitely have noticed the dryness though. Hopefully I don't have an IB, but I'm assuming most people do have that.

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/02/2011 2:05 am

You're not that far behind me, I'm currently on day 29.

You're lucky you didn't experience an initial breakout. My was horrid! The worst my skin has ever been. I was told it didn't look that bad, and of course we are our own worst critics, but still. I felt it was horrible. Haha.

My skin has cleared up heaps though, the first three weeks I was getting about 3-5 pimples per day and now I get 1 maybe every day or every second day. Which is quite an improvement in my eyes.

They're only small pimples too. Barely noticeable. The first three weeks I was getting a lot of whiteheads and some of my forehead which I had never gotten before! Worst! Haha.

I actually got Emu Oil today, so I'm going to try that out on any active pimples that I have and all the pigmentation from acne. Hope it works!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/02/2011 9:33 am

@SABI" data-cite="W@SABI">

I'm currently on my 3rd day of accutane. I haven't had an IB and I'm really hoping I don't have any because I was taking an antibiotic just before Claravis/Accutane. I definitely have noticed the dryness though. Hopefully I don't have an IB, but I'm assuming most people do have that.

You are in the same boat as me since you took antibiotics up until the first dose...I "think" i had a mild IB, but I'm not sure. I'm just going to pray that I don't. Once the first month passes, I think I'm in the clear with the IB.

You're not that far behind me, I'm currently on day 29.

You're lucky you didn't experience an initial breakout. My was horrid! The worst my skin has ever been. I was told it didn't look that bad, and of course we are our own worst critics, but still. I felt it was horrible. Haha.

My skin has cleared up heaps though, the first three weeks I was getting about 3-5 pimples per day and now I get 1 maybe every day or every second day. Which is quite an improvement in my eyes.

They're only small pimples too. Barely noticeable. The first three weeks I was getting a lot of whiteheads and some of my forehead which I had never gotten before! Worst! Haha.

I actually got Emu Oil today, so I'm going to try that out on any active pimples that I have and all the pigmentation from acne. Hope it works!

What dose did you take for first month? and are you getting bumped up?

Did you start seeing the IB after the first week? or more towards week 3?

Where did you get the Emu oil? i had a hard time finding jojoba oil and im guessing emu is the same

I'm posting some new pics now i think my mild IB is over....

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/02/2011 9:44 am

Day 13

I know I'm one day early on the 2 week mark, but I actually think my skin looks decent today. I decided to take some pics today before i possibly wake up tomorrow with 10000 new actives...I once read a log here at the .ORG and someone described it as a "roller coaster"...I couldn't agree more...

Before the pics, My symptoms: my scalp is sooo itchy!!! Once I have some times after my exams are finished, I'm going to look for some sensitive shampoo! Anyway, I apply aquaphor HEAVILY on my lips, nose, and corner of my eyes every night before bed, and so far no dry skin/lips.

Pics:-->Don't mind the hair!

Pic 1 (with the hair)

Pic 2 (side)

Pic 3 (other side)

MemberMember
(@kodec)

Posted : 05/03/2011 3:19 pm

hey bro, have the scalp issue as well. I actually went out and bought some Dermarest Psoriasis specific shampoo/conditioner and it actually is working like a charm, highly recommend it!! Although was rather embarrassing at check out because I went to highschool with the girl ringing me up :\

haha but yes give it a go

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 05/03/2011 4:56 pm

Your skin looks great!!!!!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/04/2011 12:03 am

hey bro, have the scalp issue as well. I actually went out and bought some Dermarest Psoriasis specific shampoo/conditioner and it actually is working like a charm, highly recommend it!! Although was rather embarrassing at check out because I went to highschool with the girl ringing me up :\

haha but yes give it a go

haha shoulda gave her the original, "It's for my mom."

But did you purchase it at walmart or where? My lips are getting dry now but i'm constantly applying dr. dan's cortibalm or moisturizing chapstick brand. Are u having any other side effects?

Your skin looks great!!!!!

Thanks so much!!

I think it is improving too, slowly but surely! I sure hope it all gets better soon!! I'm just going to take it one week at a time!

MemberMember
(@breetard89)

Posted : 05/05/2011 1:39 am

Where did you get the Emu oil? i had a hard time finding jojoba oil and im guessing emu is the same

Hey! Sorry, I totally forgot to reply to you.

Anyway, I got the Emu Oil on line, but it made me break out. So I won't be using that on my face again. I had Bio Oil too, but I feel like I'd only use that on the scars. So far the best thing I have used is Jojoba. Hasn't made me break out and it's good, so I will be sticking to that.

I got the Jojoba from a health food store here. I couldn't find it anywhere else bar that one shop!

I stopped washing my face twice a day, and just used Jojoba and Sorbolene on my face. Oh, and Pawpaw. Pawpaw is amazing. I don't know that I will get bumped up, I only weigh 38kgs, so 20 is my dose now and 40 would be my max. But I don't see why my derm would bump me up. I have an appt on the 17th, so I'll find out then.

How is everything going? I ended up getting a couple of new, big pimples. It sucks. I thought I was past the IB and my skin seemed to be healing up. I think I put my foot in my mouth. Haha.

MemberMember
(@usedtobeflyl)

Posted : 05/05/2011 1:16 pm

Good luck man skins looking better alredy :D, im on my 10th day now 40mg a day and im getting a proper itchy scalp aswell bro im guessing its from the accutane aswell lol!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/06/2011 5:01 pm

Hey! Sorry, I totally forgot to reply to you.

Anyway, I got the Emu Oil on line, but it made me break out. So I won't be using that on my face again. I had Bio Oil too, but I feel like I'd only use that on the scars. So far the best thing I have used is Jojoba. Hasn't made me break out and it's good, so I will be sticking to that.

I got the Jojoba from a health food store here. I couldn't find it anywhere else bar that one shop!

I stopped washing my face twice a day, and just used Jojoba and Sorbolene on my face. Oh, and Pawpaw. Pawpaw is amazing. I don't know that I will get bumped up, I only weigh 38kgs, so 20 is my dose now and 40 would be my max. But I don't see why my derm would bump me up. I have an appt on the 17th, so I'll find out then.

How is everything going? I ended up getting a couple of new, big pimples. It sucks. I thought I was past the IB and my skin seemed to be healing up. I think I put my foot in my mouth. Haha.

I agree, I think i'll just stick with the jojoba oil. I'm also washing my face one a day with just water. My oil has gone wayyy down. I can work out and not even feel like my face is all nasty from all the oil.

Once you get past the IB, it is pretty awesome to see things clear up. My skin gets clearer everyday and im only about 20 days in. I hope i don't go down hill on this roller coaster though! haha My side effect aren't bad at all! But i bet my derm. will bump me up when i see him in about 10 days. That doesnt bother me b/c i want to have the quickest course possible, even if it is cut by 1 month.

Good luck man skins looking better alredy :D, im on my 10th day now 40mg a day and im getting a proper itchy scalp aswell bro im guessing its from the accutane aswell lol!

Thanks! I think my skins getting better too. Even so from the last pics i posted. I'm going to try and find something at Walmart for the itchy scalp. It's pretty annoying. I got a hair cut today and could def. tell my scalp was dry bc it hurt when the lady was combing my head lol

are you having any of side effects? and did you start a log? you arent far behind me in your course! good luck!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/07/2011 9:25 am

DAY 18

*NEW PICS*

I am officially a senior in college!! Just finished exams yesterday, so I'm in a pretty good mood until i start working full time Monday!!! Oh, this is an acne.org forum and not a self-pity forum? Sry i forgot!! lol

Anyhow, My face is continuing to get better on 40mg. Woke up one morning this week and had 2 new whiteheads on my forehead, but that is it. They are just red now, you will see in the new pics!

Side effects aren't too bothersome besides the itchy scalp; however, I purchased a therapy shampoo for that. Neutrogena - T/Gel‚® Therapeutic Shampoo--> thats the name of it. It's like putting tree sap in your hair, but so for it seems to be working. I'll use it probably 1-2 times a week. Lips are dry, but not horribly annoying. I just apply chapstick all day. Only time that is a problem is when i wake up, because all the aquaphor comes off during the night. One last side effects would be random dry patches of skin on my arms. They are in rondom spots and almost look like chicken pox (YES, I have had them as a child).

My goal is to be 100% clear by the time school starts back up in the fall for my senior year. Realistic? I hope!

Keep in touch everyone!!

PS... Pictures

PIC 1 Side

PIC 2 Front

PIC 3, my better side

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/09/2011 4:38 am

DAY 20

Face has been looking better, but I woke up this morning for work with a nice new pimple on my forehead. This is unfortunate, because i havent been into work for about 3 weeks because of finals for college. Ironically, I started my accutane course 3 weeks ago. My skin still looks wayyy better than the last time my co-workers saw me, so maybe i'll get some comments. or maybe i wont because that suckers on my forehead! I'll report more later after work,,, 12 HOURS later blahh

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/14/2011 2:24 pm

DAY 25

It's been a couple days since I updated my log. The main reason has been b/c I have been working a lot. Anyhow, my face hasn't really changed much since the last set of pics, but I'm going to upload some more pics anyhow. I think I'm in need of a dose increase, because my face has kind of been at a stand still; however, it is only the end of my first month. I visit my derm. Tuesday, so I'm curious of what he is going to do with the dosage. Also, I hope my blood work in all normal as I had the results faxed to him from my test a few days ago.

A few things.....It being summer and everything, is it a good idea to avoid going in the sun at all? (going to the pool, amusement parks, etc) I did go golfing on a very sunny day this past week and my face seemed to be a little more sensitive later that evening.

How many times are other accutane users/ past users washing your face each day? I usually use water in the morning and aveeno face cleanser at night. However, my face gets oily after I work out/ work a 12 hour shift. Should i wash the oil off? or just continue washing the 2 times each day? Last question, I have been taking claravis 40mg and got it from the city my college is located, but now im home and will be getting my 2nd month's supply from a different pharmacy (smaller more local one). What if they dont have claravis as their generic? Is it okay if the pharmacy gives me, for example, Amnesteem instead of claravis??

Side effects are very minimal so far, which also leads me to believe I'm in need of a dosage increase.

PICS

PIC #1 Front

PIC #2 Side

PIC # 3 other side

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/17/2011 9:46 am

DAY 28

Today is the big derm. appointment after 1 month on 40mg claravis.

I'm expecting a dosage increase b/c my side effects aren't unbearable.... I'll update tonight.

PS. dose anyone even read this anymore ?!?! lol

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/17/2011 12:56 pm

I read it!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@mmthsurf)

Posted : 05/17/2011 4:00 pm

I'm on day 27; only a day behind you. You're showing some serious progress - congrats!

MemberMember
(@ballgame29)

Posted : 05/17/2011 4:17 pm

Definitely following it

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/17/2011 5:11 pm

Thanks guys!!

I got back from my derm. appointment not long ago, and all he did was increase my dose to 60mg/ day. He told me to take 20mg in the morning and 40mg in the evening. Before he decided to increase the dose all he asked me was "are you feeling depressed? Any other side effects bothering you?" I told myself before going in that I wouldn't complain about anything in fear of not getting a dose increase. I asked if my skin would get drier and he said probably and to use aquaphor. (which i have been using since day 1 lol) Anyway, I have 2 more days of 40mg then i'll start my 60mg.

MemberMember
(@lemonhead333)

Posted : 05/18/2011 10:10 pm

You have the prettiest eyes EVER.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your course! I hope everything goes well for you. I'm seeing my dermatologist tomorrow about potentially starting accutane so hopefully I'll be joining you soon!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/19/2011 9:41 pm

You have the prettiest eyes EVER.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your course! I hope everything goes well for you. I'm seeing my dermatologist tomorrow about potentially starting accutane so hopefully I'll be joining you soon!

Haha Thanksssss!

If you have tried everything else under the sun for your acne, then i would give accutane a shot! So far so good for me. Make sure you let me know when/if you start so i can follow your log!

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/21/2011 9:17 am

DAY 32

I'll start with some new pics....

FRONT

SIDE

SIDE 2

Today is my second day on 60mg (20mg AM & 40mg PM). The pharmacist told me to take my PM dose before bed, but I'm taking it with dinner to assure maximum absorption. I believe my face is looking better week to week. I'll get a new spot here and there, but definitely not a full breakout. Surprisingly, my face seems to be less red than it has been, but that may be because i've been on retin-A for about 2 years up until i started 'Tane. So i think my face is recovering from that topical and enjoying the "water only" treatment. Lips are dry, but the cracking has been preventable so far by applying chapstick/ aquaphor many many times every day.

On the other hand, I am stil getting some back acne. Pretty painful bacne at that! It almosts seems like I need to apply some sort of topical like BP to my back to keep it under control, because my body wash isnt cutting it. No joint pain, sore back or anything out of the ordinary from my powerlifting lifestyle lol!

With the dose increase from 40mg claravis to 60mg, I'm am almost expecting another mild breakout within the first 10 days just like i did on 40mg. Hopefully this increase does not amplify my other side effects such as dry skin, dry sclap, etc. I will keep you guys updated if the world doesn't end like that crazy guy on the news predicted!!!

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!!

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 05/22/2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for checking out my pics and the compliment on my eyes, it means a lot! I'm all sketchy on posting those, but its sorta liberating...

Uv been having great progress! Hopefully this massive breakout will begin clearing for me and my skin will start to heal like urs. A lot of the marks in my photos are pih/scars, some are pretty old, I guess its my age that slows down the healing??? Idk, but some days those old marks are dry and peeling and others they're not, do u exp that at all?

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 05/22/2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for checking out my pics and the compliment on my eyes, it means a lot! I'm all sketchy on posting those, but its sorta liberating...

Uv been having great progress! Hopefully this massive breakout will begin clearing for me and my skin will start to heal like urs. A lot of the marks in my photos are pih/scars, some are pretty old, I guess its my age that slows down the healing??? Idk, but some days those old marks are dry and peeling and others they're not, do u exp that at all?

No problem! I was hoping you posted some in ur log, because it's easier to match a picture with words. Keep posting then weekly!!

You still are in the high potential of an IB, after the first month, the chances usually go down. You just gotta get thru this first month then I do believe your skin will begin to heal beautifully. Age? well i dont know, you aren't exactly old tho! Still in your 20s!!

I don't really experience too much with my scars. They are just there.... Right now I'm worrying about getting rid of the acne i have and to decrease breakouts, and that's what accutane is doing for me right now. After my course I will deal with the scars if they are still there. I'm not too familiar with treating scars, but im sure this forum has good information to research! All i know is applying Vit. E.