Notifications
Clear all

Low Dose Accutane 10mg (Claravis)

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/14/2010 10:53 pm

Day 18

Condition: got one big pimple on the side of my forehead and i think there is one coming out on my chin. the good news is that my face was waay less oily today. im hoping this will continue

side effects: chapped lips and i wake up with a really dry throat sometimes.. dunno how normal this is.

MemberMember
(@maggitane)

Posted : 08/15/2010 4:15 am

Hey I just caught up with your log. I started 3 days after you and am on 20 mg.. yay for less oil! Your skin (and everything else) should get progressively drier as the accutane slowly accumulates in your body, so hang in there.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/16/2010 1:50 pm

Thanks Maggiepie! Good luck on yours

(Im making up for day 19)

Day 19 and 20

Condition: Had a big pimple on chin but now its going away because it kind of popped by iitself. Also have an active pimple on the side of forehead. Ok so my skin is now pretty dry. I would say 70% drier than usual. This morning I woke up and I couldnt even open my lips because they were stuck together by dryness LOL. It almost hurt a when I forced it open. I hate wearing chapstick to sleep because it feels uncomfortable but looks like Ima have to soon.

Right now I am putting emu oil on my neck and I cant really tell if the redness is fading. I got a long swollen thing on my neck not sure what it is :(

Oh and my nose and cheek area (where it usually have a lot of black heads) and now super bumpy... possibly purging? hopefully accutane is pulling them out

Side Effects: Chapped lips

Drier Skin (but this is a good thing)

My jaws are really sore. Has anyone had this problem? at first I though it was a cyst developing but now I think it is just sore. Feels like i got punched in the face.

MemberMember
(@acnechemist)

Posted : 08/17/2010 6:51 am

About the sore jaws, accutane often causes joint pain so I'm guessing it's a normal side effect. I had it myself too but in my hips instead. I heard taking vitamin E solves it but didn't want to risk taking both at the same time!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/17/2010 10:58 am

About the sore jaws, accutane often causes joint pain so I'm guessing it's a normal side effect. I had it myself too but in my hips instead. I heard taking vitamin E solves it but didn't want to risk taking both at the same time!

thanks Acnechemist! that is comforting to hear. It almost feels like a toothache but I guess since its normal I'm not too worried. It feels a little better today

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/18/2010 2:58 pm

Day 21 and 22

Condition: My face is definitely purging out the blackheads. It has never felt this bumpy. My blackheads were quite severe so I am hoping accutane is pushing it out for good.

Got a pimple on the side of my chin and its coming to a head

Huge pimple on neck is still there. Cant wait for this to go away :(

Side Effects: Jaw no longer sore

Lips still a little chapped

Face 85% less oily. ( I used to wake up to a layer of grease on my face, this doesnt not happen anymore) I am beyond thrilled

I am really happy about the results right now. And yes, I am starting to regret I havent done this sooner. Blood test is tomorrow. Lets hope I can continue my course!

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/19/2010 6:52 am

Awesome! Sounds like you are moving right along. Hope your successes continue for you :)

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/19/2010 9:58 pm

Thanks Goodz! I am keeping my fingers crossed

Day 23

10 mg Claravis

Condition: Got a pimple on my chin and a few breakouts on the neck nothing severe.

So my blackheads seems to be purging (not sure if it is but my nose feels SUPER bumpy. It has countless tiny raised bumps even on the upper portion of my nose. This is bothering me a bit. Does anyone know if i can exfloliate? It doesnt seem to come out on its own :(

Side Effects: chapped lips. my lips are peeling a layer everyday from dryness

face is waaay less oily! I just want to say this: Life is so much easier when your face isn't oily.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/20/2010 6:54 am

Yep, you are purging your pores. Dont exfoliate since your skin is delicate. Nothing much you can, but they will resolve themselves over the coming weeks. I recall the first few days when this started for me. It was super gross. I was getting these little bumps everywhere, and on my forehead little hairs were pushing out too. I had to pluck them out. Its disgusting, and humbling, to see all the sh*t trapped in your pores when these meds start getting them out. Its no wonder acne is a never-ending cycle. Chin up, you're doing fine

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/20/2010 4:52 pm

Thank you so much for the reply Goodz. I am so tempted to exfoliate or squeeze them but now I m going to try and resist. They dont seem to be coming out anytime soon but I will be upping my dose soon so we shall see. :)

Day 24

Condition: nothing to report really. I have a pimple coming out on my cheek. The other pimples that were developing on my chin came out and now its just red. Blackheads are bad! My face feels so bumpy and rough when I am washing it. It's gross! Cant wait until the purge is over but I cant really complain. Neck is getting better. The bump i had is less inflamed. Now the neck area has a few bumps but it is mainly just red. I am still convinced the things on my neck isnt acne. But I hope accutane will help it regardless

Side Effects: Face is 85% drier. When I used to wake up in the morning the first thing I've always wanted to do it wash my oily face. Now I can probably go on the whole day without washing and wont feel greasy. This is absolutely the best part about Accutane right now, hands down.

-Chapped lips.

I hope I wont be delayed on getting my prescription test for the next month.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/21/2010 6:14 pm

Day 25

Condition: My neck has 3 new cysts wtf. UGH. One of the bumps is like long shaped and its gross. This is exactly why I don't think what's on my neck is acne. It is way too severe to be any kind of acne. I have never had acne this bad in such a short period of time. It is SO red and just when it was getting SLIGHTLY better I get new cysts. I have been using EMu Oil on it and I think it might possibly be breaking me out. Im going to stop this and use my aloe vera plant. School is starting in 1 month and I am not looking forward to it. Going to a whole new school with all this crap on your neck is beyond depressing.

Face, on the other hand is looking better. I must say though, neck acne is just as bad as facial acne. Although you can somewhat hide it its REALLY painful and you feel insecure constantly. I cant go out without thinking someone is starring at me and thinking "Wtf is wrong with her neck" :(

Side Effects: chapped lips, less oily face.

I dont get what can have possibly caused this breakout on my neck.

Right now I got literally a long shaped swollen raised bump. It's firm to the touch and hurts really bad. How can this be acne?

Life is freaking terrific when acne has done ENOUGH damage to your face and it decides to move to the next visible spot on your body, your neck.

I dont want acne anywhere but I would much rather have acne ANYWHERE else.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/23/2010 10:33 am

Day 26 & 27

i hate my dermatologist he still hasnt confirmed ipledge for me. i feel like i always have to beg the dude to do it. its really freakin annoyin im payin all this money and he cant do somethin that probably takes less than 5 mins. does anyone else deal with this crap?

condition

face is looking way better. all the pimples are gone and i hope this is permanent

neck is still red and bumpy but it looks way better than when i first started.

i found that emu oil irritated that crap out of my neck. i wish i had never used it.

blackheads are definitely purging but it still looks bad. will update when my blackheads go away (if it does)

side effects

-omg.. i think im gettin dandruff for the first time in a long time. my hair is usually so oily and i wash it everyday and i never get drandruff. now i skip one day of washing it and i get itchy and dandruff. this is neither good or bad just a change.

-chapped lips

-less oily skin (85% less oily)

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 08/26/2010 7:24 pm

30 Day 10 MG Claravis = DONE!

Condition: Not a pimple in sight! but I do feel a painful small one coming.

Didnt wash face at ALL today. Was experimenting a little and face = not greasy at all. This has got to be the highlight of accutane

Neck is doing fine just red. Getting better and better! I hope this continues.

Side Effects: Lips slightly chapped not bothersome

dry face! good thing!

Btw. Had a piece of cold pizza today. first time in YEARS. hope I dont break out.

Starting 20 MG tomorrow and will continue to take 20 mg throughout the course

MemberMember
(@luc_nic)

Posted : 08/27/2010 9:21 am

hey there

just been reading through your log. sorry to hear you are having trouble with your neck but yay for your face being in such good shape after only one month! im just starting a low dose course too after doing a full one a few years ago. worked wonders for about 3 years. it might be good for you to bump up to 20mg for the rest of your course like you were thinking, you will have more chance of it staying away for good! i did 30mg a day for 9 months before, had moderate acne, and unfortunately it wasnt quite enough to'cure' me. best of luck with the rest of your course! i'll be reading your updates :)

MemberMember
(@applellc)

Posted : 09/01/2010 12:21 pm

Hi everyone. Im so glad I found this log!. I started just 5 days ago on a 10mg daily and I'm so anxious to get to the end of my first month. I have moderate acne but is incredibly stubborn and wont go away even with chemical peels or laser treatments. I also have very oily skin that I need to wash twice a day to keep my pores clear according to my derm. Hopefully this pill will get rid of this before I fall back into depression again. So far my back and my jaw are really sore but my lips are ok considering that they were always dry but my biggest fear is the IB so I'm mentally preparing for it in case it happens. Anyway, thank you for the info and keep us updated

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/01/2010 1:34 pm

Hi everyone. Im so glad I found this log!. I started just 5 days ago on a 10mg daily and I'm so anxious to get to the end of my first month. I have moderate acne but is incredibly stubborn and wont go away even with chemical peels or laser treatments. I also have very oily skin that I need to wash twice a day to keep my pores clear according to my derm. Hopefully this pill will get rid of this before I fall back into depression again. So far my back and my jaw are really sore but my lips are ok considering that they were always dry but my biggest fear is the IB so I'm mentally preparing for it in case it happens. Anyway, thank you for the info and keep us updated

hey! you had sore jaws too!? I didn't know this was so common. It actually scared me a bit because it felt like a huge cyst was coming out. But no worries it went away within a couple of days. I think it is good that you are starting on 10 mg, i think it might make IB less severe (if you even have one, likely you wont). Good luck on your accutane journey!

hey there

just been reading through your log. sorry to hear you are having trouble with your neck but yay for your face being in such good shape after only one month! im just starting a low dose course too after doing a full one a few years ago. worked wonders for about 3 years. it might be good for you to bump up to 20mg for the rest of your course like you were thinking, you will have more chance of it staying away for good! i did 30mg a day for 9 months before, had moderate acne, and unfortunately it wasnt quite enough to'cure' me. best of luck with the rest of your course! i'll be reading your updates :)

wow! people actually read this! I should probably update more.

congrats on starting accutane. finally took that scary step. truth is i wish I would've started sooner. Im pretty sure the lose dose will be as effective on you as it is on me (so far). kind of scary to hear that a 30mg 9 month course didnt cure you :( But I am keeping my hopes up! Good luck

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/01/2010 1:41 pm

Day 35 20MG Claravis

WOW I havent updated in a while, but honestly, it's because there isnt much to say. I am happy with my results right now. The best part about accutane is of course, NO MORE OILY FACE.

Condition: A few whiteheads in the jaw line area. They are small and doesnt bother me at all. I am happy to report that I haven't gotten a cyst since the 2nd week of accutane. I am sooo happy about this. I get a few whiteheads but most are non-inflamed or really tiny. So far on accutane I think I've only gotten 3-4 of those painful bumps (face wise)

Neck wise, I am recovering fairly fast. No new bumps just red :( which is bearable as long as no new bumps come up to cause pain.

Blackheads have SHRUNK so much. I still have a lot of them, dont get me wrong, but I can see that they are slowly going away. :D

Side Effects: Face is 90% less greasy. In fact I feel like a normal person now without all this grease. I thought I'd just repeat this one more time, LIFE is SO much EASIER without an oily face. People who have always lived with oily skin know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Chapped Lips (not severe)

Body Skin is gettin ashy lol.. nothing a little lotion cant fix.

I am not happy with my skin texture. I've held off this medication for too long and acne has left my face with some scars. They are pretty shallow and I am hoping it will heal by itself in time. Don't really want to get surgery done :(. I believe most of this is hyperpigmented scars which should fade.

I will keep updating. I just don't write daily entries anymore because there aren't really any daily changes. I will definitely keep this updated!

MemberMember
(@del-xx)

Posted : 09/02/2010 12:05 pm

Glad things are gong well for you!

MemberMember
(@applellc)

Posted : 09/09/2010 4:15 am

hey! you had sore jaws too!? I didn't know this was so common. It actually scared me a bit because it felt like a huge cyst was coming out. But no worries it went away within a couple of days. I think it is good that you are starting on 10 mg, i think it might make IB less severe (if you even have one, likely you wont). Good luck on your accutane journey!

hey there

congrats on starting accutane. finally took that scary step. truth is i wish I would've started sooner. Im pretty sure the lose dose will be as effective on you as it is on me (so far). kind of scary to hear that a 30mg 9 month course didnt cure you :( But I am keeping my hopes up! Good luck

Yes u were right, my jaw is OK now but I'm getting these headaches like migraines, is it normal? I'm on day 14 and I had a breakout on days 11 and 12 which I think was the infamous IB. Hopefully it will be the last one.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/13/2010 6:25 pm

hey there

Yes u were right, my jaw is OK now but I'm getting these headaches like migraines, is it normal? I'm on day 14 and I had a breakout on days 11 and 12 which I think was the infamous IB. Hopefully it will be the last one.

Hmm I did get a headaches here and there but wasn't sure if it was caused by accutane. I think it is normal, but if it occurs long term definitely tell your dermatologist. I'm close to ending 2nd month and is still getting pimples here and there so good luck with yours! I'm not quite sure when exactly the acne is supposed to come to a complete halt.

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/13/2010 6:31 pm

Thanks Del! for the support.

I am finally updating, I've been busy with school starting and whatnot.

I also forgot the password to my account ;)

Day 48? 20 mg Claravis

Condition: A few (maybe 2-3 active white heads). Not sure why but I am still getting acne and I am almost done with my 2nd month. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Have one active cyst looking thing on my neck. Face wise, I havent gotten a cyst for a long time

So the good news is that my blackheads look great. They've improved dramatically. I am also getting a very small amount of pimples. Face is also less oily, although, it is greasier than it first started being non-greasy (if that makes sense haha)

Bad news is I'm still getting acne! I am hoping this will stop by the 4th month?

Side effects

Chapped lips

Might be shedding a little more hair than usual (scared to wash my hair now)

Way less oily face

Dry throat? hmmm not bothersome but thought it's somethin I'd mention

I will try to update as much as possible. I have been so lazy lately.

MemberMember
(@del-xx)

Posted : 09/14/2010 9:33 am

I was losing hair to, I dont wash my hair every day anymore and I am using loads of conditioner. It does seem to have slowed down now though so dont worry! My derm said it takes 7 to 10 weeks to see improvements so you are on the right path. No cysts is a good thing! I havent had one for nearly 3 weeks! still not happy to still be getting little things but have to be grateful that I have had this long without a cyst! I think our standards just get higher as we start to clear! you are doing so well!

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/14/2010 4:23 pm

@ Del

Glad to hear that you are in a similar situation. I know once the accutane course ifscomplete the hair will stop falling so much! (at least I'm hoping anyways) But thanks for letting me know that it takes 7-10 weeks to see improvements, I was starting to be a little concerned. Good luck on yours as well!

Day 49 20 mg Claravis

Condition: Face is pretty clear aside from this one pimple near my mouth. There is also a leftover pimple on my cheek that's going away. Right now I am pretty happy with my face aside from the red marks and scars. There is a bump coming out near my forehead. It feels like one of those that just goes away without coming to a head though.

I've noticed that ever since I got on accutane my acne doesn't come out inflamed. They are just whiteheads that isnt painful to the touch. This is a good thing because it leaves a less severe red mark

Neck: the bump hasnt completely gone but is way less inflamed

Red marks still bad but is getting better

Side effects:

Might be shedding more than usual

Dry/chapped lips (not unbearable)

Less oily skin (a positive side effect)

Less money ( lol.. I dont have insurance but this is worth it so far )

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 09/15/2010 10:18 am

Sounds like things are going good, except for the side fx. I was (and still am) experiencing some hair loss issues. Its minimal and not noticeable yet, but Im eyeing it to ensure its not getting worse. I was on 20mgs for 2 months. About a month in I started noticing it. It hasnt really stopped but it hasnt gotten any worse either (Ive been off the meds for 6 weeks). Keep us posted

MemberMember
(@i-love-hand-sanitzer)

Posted : 09/16/2010 12:08 pm

@ Goodz: Yeah I am definitely noticing more shedding more than normal, I am also keeping a close watch on this. I think accutane (my derm says) stays in your system for 6 months? So maybe it takes that long for hair to start recovering, not sure. Keeping my hopes up that the shedding doesnt get worse.

Day 51 20 mg Claravis

Condition: Got a few new active pimples on my cheek and jawline, nothing to moan about. A lot of the pimples I get nowadays are just slightly painful bumps that seems to go away without coming to a head (which is a good thing b/c it leaves less severe redness/scarring).

Neck still has that same pimple but it dramatically reduced in size. My neck is pretty much clear now just waiting for the redness to go away. By the way, I purchased emu oil for the neck and after using it for a couple of days I decided to stop because it seemed to have cause new bumps on the neck. ALthough it seemed to have reduced redness, getting new bumps pretty much reversed any improvements.

Side Effects: Like i said, starting to notice shedding. This is what I feared most starting accutane. Don't get me wrong though, it's not severe or anything. I also want you guys to keep in mind that I'm used to washing my hair everyday (which I don't anymore) because my hair used to get greasy on the second day and I am a slight germ-a-phobe.

Lips still get chapped now and then

Skin is 85% less greasy