Notifications
Clear all

SUNNICALI KiCkin Acne'S Butt!

MemberMember
(@hopeful42day)

Posted : 10/15/2010 12:19 am

Ummm your skin looks kind of AWESOME!!!!!! You certainly came a long way, congrats on your beautiful glowing skin and congrats for hanging in there. Accutane is not exactly easy but seeing inspiring stories like this one are what make it all worth while.

Haven't been on here in AGES and it seems like everyone's finishing up their Tane Courses. So happy for everyone!

You look fantastic, enjoy your new skin and new confidence.

So happy for you

MemberMember
(@sunnicali)

Posted : 10/15/2010 2:39 am

@hope: funny cause i havent been on here for ages either, and then when i came back, your reply was here! LOL Thanks for being there for me through the accutane challenge. I hope your skin stays clear and soft forever!

2 Months Post Tane

New Regimen:

Wash face with water in the morning, put on sunscreen, wash face with water at night (or mild soap if not exhausted, or no washing at all!) and then maybe some shea butter if dry.

GOOD NEWS

My skin is now silky soft, glowing, and very clear. I am very happy with the results. The dry scaly patches fell off about 2 weeks ago. i have had no problems with my skin. One tiny, miniscule WH popped up where the imfamous LILLITH used to reside. It went away in 3 days.

the flushed redness and tenderness is starting to subside. I am being very careful to wear sunscreen and to moisturize if my skin gets too dry.

Side effects that are gone:

ACNE GONE!!!!

Dry, chapped lips. (no more 24/7 lip balm conventions!)

the crusty/itchy/dry nostrils

the dry, cracked ears

Eczema cleared up

weird zits in weird places like eyelids and buttocks

headaches

Side effects still lingering:

Dry eyes/night blindness (no kidding! i almost hit a raccoon last night!!!)

some achy joints, although they are slowly getting less painful.

some of the "flush" in the cheeks

The thinned skin, especially around the eyes (dark circles)

Overall, these last 2 months have been my favorite, because as my skin continued clearing, the redness and irritability faded, the scars began to fade, and i can enjoy my skin now!

SCARS

I have even noticed some promising filling in of scars. Now i am not trying to mislead anyone, because most real acne scars are kinda permanent, i think that the accutane caused my skin to become very irritated, and the rolling scars were just accentuated by red, puffy, irritated skin. Now that the irritant is gone, and more moisture is filling in my skin, the scars are waaaaaay less noticeable. Just some hope out there if you were wondering what happens to the scars. The few "ice pick" scars i have are still there, but they are less noticeable also now that they are not red or inflamed. I have hope that this "filling in" will continue, and hopefully erase some of the damage wrecked on my face over the last 6 years.

The red hyper pigmentation scars are also fading. All i do is wear sunscreen, and try to stay outta direct sunlight. I use Derma-E fade cream, and have used it during treatments in the past with good results. But i feel that the scars don't bother me anymore, and i don't want to jump on the kill the red marks band wagon, and end up hurting my skin more with harsh chemicals. They are naturally fading away very quickly!

Next Monday is my (hopefully) FINAL Dermatologist appointment!

I am going to be so glad not to have to go to appointment every month, or take those darn pregnancy tests and blood draws anymore! HEres to giving up the life of a Pin Cushion!

Good luck all my acne bustin buddies

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 10/15/2010 8:20 am

@hope: funny cause i havent been on here for ages either, and then when i came back, your reply was here! LOL Thanks for being there for me through the accutane challenge. I hope your skin stays clear and soft forever!

2 Months Post Tane

New Regimen:

Wash face with water in the morning, put on sunscreen, wash face with water at night (or mild soap if not exhausted, or no washing at all!) and then maybe some shea butter if dry.

GOOD NEWS

My skin is now silky soft, glowing, and very clear. I am very happy with the results. The dry scaly patches fell off about 2 weeks ago. i have had no problems with my skin. One tiny, miniscule WH popped up where the imfamous LILLITH used to reside. It went away in 3 days.

the flushed redness and tenderness is starting to subside. I am being very careful to wear sunscreen and to moisturize if my skin gets too dry.

Side effects that are gone:

ACNE GONE!!!!

Dry, chapped lips. (no more 24/7 lip balm conventions!)

the crusty/itchy/dry nostrils

the dry, cracked ears

Eczema cleared up

weird zits in weird places like eyelids and buttocks

headaches

Side effects still lingering:

Dry eyes/night blindness (no kidding! i almost hit a raccoon last night!!!)

some achy joints, although they are slowly getting less painful.

some of the "flush" in the cheeks

The thinned skin, especially around the eyes (dark circles)

Overall, these last 2 months have been my favorite, because as my skin continued clearing, the redness and irritability faded, the scars began to fade, and i can enjoy my skin now!

SCARS

I have even noticed some promising filling in of scars. Now i am not trying to mislead anyone, because most real acne scars are kinda permanent, i think that the accutane caused my skin to become very irritated, and the rolling scars were just accentuated by red, puffy, irritated skin. Now that the irritant is gone, and more moisture is filling in my skin, the scars are waaaaaay less noticeable. Just some hope out there if you were wondering what happens to the scars. The few "ice pick" scars i have are still there, but they are less noticeable also now that they are not red or inflamed. I have hope that this "filling in" will continue, and hopefully erase some of the damage wrecked on my face over the last 6 years.

The red hyper pigmentation scars are also fading. All i do is wear sunscreen, and try to stay outta direct sunlight. I use Derma-E fade cream, and have used it during treatments in the past with good results. But i feel that the scars don't bother me anymore, and i don't want to jump on the kill the red marks band wagon, and end up hurting my skin more with harsh chemicals. They are naturally fading away very quickly!

Next Monday is my (hopefully) FINAL Dermatologist appointment!

I am going to be so glad not to have to go to appointment every month, or take those darn pregnancy tests and blood draws anymore! HEres to giving up the life of a Pin Cushion!

Good luck all my acne bustin buddies

only one word... hurray!

it all sounds super fabulous congratulations on sticking to it :)

j x

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 01/25/2011 1:02 am

Hey man, hope you're doing well. I just read your last entry (which was written like three months ago, but whatev's) but I reaaaaalllllyyyyy hope that you're staying clear! :D

MemberMember
(@sunnicali)

Posted : 01/26/2011 5:34 am

Hey man, hope you're doing well. I just read your last entry (which was written like three months ago, but whatev's) but I reaaaaalllllyyyyy hope that you're staying clear! :D

@ Jenny: Thanks girl!

@ Kernel: Sup Kernel? Good to see ya on here anyways :) hope that your skin is doin superbly

MONTH 5 Post 'Tane

Hello everybody!

Quick update......

Skin: rashing a lot around cheeks and nose, increased capillary breakages, think it may be sun exposure related. Going to ask derm if its roseacea or esczema or something.

COMPLETLY CLEAR FOR 5+ MONTHS

Then about 3 days ago, DISASTER struck! I got the biggest, grossest, volcano on my lip. UGH. it had 4 heads, it was a CYST, and then to top it all off, it busted itself open in my sleep so i woke up to crusty nastiness all over my damn face in the morning.

TO make it worse, I had a meeting with a cute guy friend whom i love to flirt with that NIGHT!!! ugh!

So i just grinned and bared it. i cried myself to sleep.

This F$%^#@ is still on my face. SO I made an appointment with my dermo like for tomorrow.

I may b overreacting, but i have like only 2-3 months left of medical insurance, and I have NO meds on hand in case if this turns into a massive breakout.

I think it was just one stress-related hormone pimple. But after a beautiful 5 months, it kinda devistated me! UGH.

I will update and let yall know what my derm says. He will prob laugh at me for coming in for one zit!

Cant help that after 7 years of acne, i get paranoid!

BUT OVERALL

I am so clear, people come up to me and compliment me on my skin and how "glowy" it is and on how "young" i look. Most no one notices my scars.

By the way, the scars have mostly filled in nicely. Only have a few around my chin and cheeks. Rolling scars. The hyper pigmentation is a BIOTCH but im not going crazy about it, cause like i said, no one else notices.

Its been real nice to not have to wear makeup out and to still feel beautiful.

Peace out friends :) have a beautiful day!

MemberMember
(@katushkinz)

Posted : 01/26/2011 4:17 pm

There's nothing to say but congratulations!

I wish I'm just as happy with myself as you are in 7 months!

MemberMember
(@sunnicali)

Posted : 11/01/2012 1:48 am

2 YEARS Post ACCUTANE

Update:

Skin Appearance, mostly clear, hifive.gif Light tone, easily burns on face, tans on body. Oily forehead, dry cheeks, "younger" than most my age. No whiteheads on face

Casualtie Count: some hyperpigmentation, 2-3 acne "ice-pick" scars, freckles/agespots, some broken capillaries under eye, and on nose,

the occasional hormone-induced PMS cyst on neck, or near lip, occasional esczema rash/dermatitis to a few specific chemicals I am allergic to, sun damage from my love for outdoor sports, Acne breakouts along areas of irritation on body like sports bra and underwear lines.eusa_think.gif

I have to say that going on accutane was the best decision i ever made for my skin.

My routine today: AM, steam with washcloth and hot tap water, pat dry

AM, day time organic anti-aging serum (if doing sports-use sunblock)

Mid Day, Rinse again with warm water at work, blott dry with paper towels

PM Rinse in shower with plain water, use sauna after swimming, moisturize with light serum

Pretty simple right? rolleyes.gif

The lowdown is this: My skin is NOT perfect, nor do i expect it will ever be. I feel confident enough to go about by day without makeup, I feel beautiful and healthy.

I have vastly simplified my skincare routine, and improved my life.

I have over the years, reduced my stress. I still had 2 massive cystic acne break outs post accutaine, which i used prescription topical meds on (retin-a micro gel, clindamycin, 5%BP gel) , and they never became imbedded in my skin, they eventually went away after about 1-2 monts of treatment each. I was completly clear the day after I graduated university. I am still armed with my favorite topicals just in case. This gives me peace of mind wich reduces my stress and lessens acne.

I have had to re-discover my skin for its own Identity. It changed each month post accutaine, until it became its own texture and pigment, which i have not seen in 10 years due to chronic acne medication use.

Now I believe I am back to my "base" skin tone and texture. I have rednss, and am prone to rashes, which i believe are either rosacea or esczema, although nowehere near as bad as while on accutane. I do nto believe I have suffered any lasting side-effects from this medication. The only side effect I have noticed to last this long is NO ACNE!

Yes, I do still get the occasional zit. But i slap some BP on overnight and its gone in a few days. THis is a far cry from how horribe my acne was, and how much time and money i had wasted in the past with no results. It was a long battle spanning my entire 20s.

Now days, when i meet new friends, and if i share that I had chronic cystic acne for 10 years, they are shocked.

I see my scars both physical and emotional. But i dont think anyone else notices.

And if every once in a blue moon i get a zit, i dont freak.

it took me about 6 dermatologist until I finally found one that would work with me, and prescribe the right mix of drugs for my skin type. Its not an exact science and there is a lot of misinformation, fear, and scams out there. There is NO one answer for everyone, and each person will have to find a system of treatment that works best for them.

I know that there are many people out there that are hurting because of acne. Its a horrible disease of the skin. I hope that my story can help someone.

The only place I found solidarity and hope was this website, through sharing my blog. I am really thankful for the opportunity to meet others through this site.

Good luck all my acne a$$ kicking friends! wub.png

MemberMember
(@waseem-abbas)

Posted : 11/01/2012 2:53 am

This is awesome and so motivational. I'm so glad that you are living your social life with full of confidence. Cheers