Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log: Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 09/21/2010 6:09 am

hiyall i had a very specific question for you.

what happened to your PIH? did it fade with accutane.. you seem to have none. i've read in some peoples cases accutane actually takes it away.. and do you know how long after you can use anything topical on your face (and do you even need to)?

j x

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 09/25/2010 9:03 pm

@jennyband: Hmm.. this scruffy dirtbag a I don't want to divulge too much, as that would take up the space of another log entirely, but let's just say that if you look up the lyrics to aoeWhere is my Mind?a by Pixies, that sort of describes everything... at least, it seemed to be the only song I listened to this summer. And he's still kicking around in my life, like some hyperactive puppy who randomly decided to give you a bunch of attention but before you can do something about it, have he suddenly falls asleep on your couch instead. But enough boy talk, cuz this IS an acne forum, after all.

So, on track with having allergic reactions to everything I fondle at work, got this disgusting, blistery rash on my fingers last week, which then itched so bad that I was kept awake at night scratching it, when then led it it oozing yellow liquid, which then led to it spreading onto the area under my eye a ON MY NOW CLEAR SKIN! I was unimpressed, to say the least. And then it spread to a corner beside my nose and there were these red, irritated bumps on my upper lip that resembled the dreaded pimple 'stache I used to get. Needless to say, this resulted in me having a minor breakdown. But I went to the doctor and got some cream and now that shit is healed. But it was not acne. I repeat: IT WAS NOT ACNE a IT WAS ECZEMA. It was a fun time, to say the least. I was reverting back to my old ways of getting jealous over how clear and nice cartoon characters skin is.

I still have extremely weird, vivid dreams, even post-tane. They never included that warning in the pamphlet. They should have. Last night, I dreamt I was watching the discovery channel and it was the aoe10 Most Horrific Outer Space Incidentsa and coming in at number two was this space craft crash involving a bunch of girl scouts. The person that was supposed to land their spacecraft knew they were going to crash, and then the girl scouts, unaware of this, started singing this song which included the line aoeUntil I die, until I die...a over and over again and then the person landing the spacecraft was forced to listen to their screams of horror as the spacecraft crashed and burned. It was so disturbing that I actually forced myself to wake up because I was terrified what the number one incident would be.

Oh yeah a I also had the worst PMS of my life. It was more like that PMDD or whatever the one above PMS is called. I've never been more irrational or hulk-like in my life. Although I'd like to blame the 'tane for that, I think it was more about spending money for school... and textbooks for school... and building supplies for school... and the downpayment on my rent for school... and the car I got for school... and the insurance on the car for school... and that jacket I bought for school... sense a theme here?

Also, drinking-wise post 'tane, I got drunk the other night, and I swear I have never been more hungover in my life the next day. I puked twice at my friend's in the morning, then once when I got home, attempted to eat something, then threw up again. The cherry on top of this perfect morning was that I had to go into work at noon and I really need the money, so I didn't call in sick. But I told the produce manager that I was hungover and spent the better part of an hour sitting in the produce cooler, until the room started to spin and I realized that I had to puke again, and when that ordeal was over, I had to cut up some celery, and the smell made me have to puke again. Then, the cherry on TOP of the cherry: I was drinking with this guy that I also work with, and he was supposed to come in later that day, but called in SICK, so there was no way I could go home sick, because it would have been obvious that we were both hungover as fuck. So, as I stood there wrapping cabbage while trying not to pass out from my throbbing headache, I devised the ingenious idea to fake a mini-seizure. Which worked fine, because I've been prone to seizures and fainting spells in the past. And it scared the hell out of my boss, which was a bonus, because he's sort of a douche bag with a cabbage-shaped head.. And I am now the hero of produce for doing something so extreme to get out of work, according to the other guys that work there.

I realize that a lot of my stories lately have involved booze and my getting drunk, but I can assure you I'm not an alcoholic (although I certainly sound like one.) I'm just an almost-twenty-year-old who does stupid shit becasue now is the best age to.

I'll post some post-'tane pictures whenever the mood strikes, I guess.

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 09/26/2010 6:04 am

@jennyband: Hmm.. this scruffy dirtbag I don't want to divulge too much, as that would take up the space of another log entirely, but let's just say that if you look up the lyrics to Where is my Mind? by Pixies, that sort of describes everything... at least, it seemed to be the only song I listened to this summer. And he's still kicking around in my life, like some hyperactive puppy who randomly decided to give you a bunch of attention but before you can do something about it, have he suddenly falls asleep on your couch instead. But enough boy talk, cuz this IS an acne forum, after all.

So, on track with having allergic reactions to everything I fondle at work, got this disgusting, blistery rash on my fingers last week, which then itched so bad that I was kept awake at night scratching it, when then led it it oozing yellow liquid, which then led to it spreading onto the area under my eye ON MY NOW CLEAR SKIN! I was unimpressed, to say the least. And then it spread to a corner beside my nose and there were these red, irritated bumps on my upper lip that resembled the dreaded pimple 'stache I used to get. Needless to say, this resulted in me having a minor breakdown. But I went to the doctor and got some cream and now that shit is healed. But it was not acne. I repeat: IT WAS NOT ACNE IT WAS ECZEMA. It was a fun time, to say the least. I was reverting back to my old ways of getting jealous over how clear and nice cartoon characters skin is.

I still have extremely weird, vivid dreams, even post-tane. They never included that warning in the pamphlet. They should have. Last night, I dreamt I was watching the discovery channel and it was the 10 Most Horrific Outer Space Incidents and coming in at number two was this space craft crash involving a bunch of girl scouts. The person that was supposed to land their spacecraft knew they were going to crash, and then the girl scouts, unaware of this, started singing this song which included the line Until I die, until I die... over and over again and then the person landing the spacecraft was forced to listen to their screams of horror as the spacecraft crashed and burned. It was so disturbing that I actually forced myself to wake up because I was terrified what the number one incident would be.

Oh yeah I also had the worst PMS of my life. It was more like that PMDD or whatever the one above PMS is called. I've never been more irrational or hulk-like in my life. Although I'd like to blame the 'tane for that, I think it was more about spending money for school... and textbooks for school... and building supplies for school... and the downpayment on my rent for school... and the car I got for school... and the insurance on the car for school... and that jacket I bought for school... sense a theme here?

Also, drinking-wise post 'tane, I got drunk the other night, and I swear I have never been more hungover in my life the next day. I puked twice at my friend's in the morning, then once when I got home, attempted to eat something, then threw up again. The cherry on top of this perfect morning was that I had to go into work at noon and I really need the money, so I didn't call in sick. But I told the produce manager that I was hungover and spent the better part of an hour sitting in the produce cooler, until the room started to spin and I realized that I had to puke again, and when that ordeal was over, I had to cut up some celery, and the smell made me have to puke again. Then, the cherry on TOP of the cherry: I was drinking with this guy that I also work with, and he was supposed to come in later that day, but called in SICK, so there was no way I could go home sick, because it would have been obvious that we were both hungover as fuck. So, as I stood there wrapping cabbage while trying not to pass out from my throbbing headache, I devised the ingenious idea to fake a mini-seizure. Which worked fine, because I've been prone to seizures and fainting spells in the past. And it scared the hell out of my boss, which was a bonus, because he's sort of a douche bag with a cabbage-shaped head.. And I am now the hero of produce for doing something so extreme to get out of work, according to the other guys that work there.

I realize that a lot of my stories lately have involved booze and my getting drunk, but I can assure you I'm not an alcoholic (although I certainly sound like one.) I'm just an almost-twenty-year-old who does stupid shit becasue now is the best age to.

I'll post some post-'tane pictures whenever the mood strikes, I guess.

in true form you are an effing crack up. i was feeling shit about my skin today, like 2 out of ten. its not like i have anything massive to complain about i've just reached that 'fed up, lets kick a small helpless piece of stationary furniture' brink thats about to send me over the edge. as for the scruffy fellow, i say pounce at some semi drunken opportunity, then if you want to back out later you can blame booze, but if you feel lucky punk you've already hit that once.. lets go for round two.

bam

j x

MemberMember
(@somebody-out-there)

Posted : 10/02/2010 8:21 pm

Ahhhh! I love your crazy stories. They never fail to amuse me!

I'm glad that rather than the crazy dreams and you being hungover that everything is good! Keep us updated with these funny stories, girl! They always crack me up! :)

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 01/24/2011 7:31 pm

SIX-ISH MONTHS POST 'TANE

(so, almost a year after starting this stuff.)

Ho-hum ‚œ well it's been almost a year since I started with accutane, so I thought it was only fitting to do an update.

Skin status: All Clear. Well, I've maybe gotten three-ish zits. The worst was this mo-fo between my eyes that got slightly too large for my liking, but that was due in part to me scratching it like mad since I thought it was a mosquito bite and then having it sort of... swell up. So far, my routine is to just cleanse and moisturize. Even right now, when I am stressed out to the max with school work and schizz, my skin hasn't broken out (naturally, instead of doing said schoolwork, I thought now would be an appropriate time to write a long-winded paragraph about my skin.) I put on retin-a every second night, mainly on my red marks which... HAVE ALMOST COMPLETELY FADED. Dun, dun, dun...

Seriously, my skin looks like what ‚Å“normal skin‚ is supposed to look like. It doesn't have that accutane thinness to it anymore. The only long-term side effect that comes to mind is that my face will someones flush badly in extreme temperature changes. Oh yeah, and my hair is really, really, really, really, really, really curly now. Like, so curly that I'm tempted to go in and get it professionally straightened once I have enough money.

Hmm... what else? I guess without having to obsess over the pustulelucious regions on my face, I obsess about other aspects of my appearance equally as neurotically as I did with my skin... my current insecurity is about how freakishly white my teeth are.

When I think back to the neurotic and anxiety-ridden mess I was last year compared to how I am now, it's amazing how much of an impact having acne can impact a person. I started school and, unlike last year, I actually talk to people in my class. I'll even talk to random people on the street. I feel much comfortable in my own skin (no pun intended) like I'm actually living the life I want and acting the way I want to without constantly thinking about my skin in the back of my mind. I'm definitely more outgoing than I used to be and actually participate in things now instead of being on the side, watching everyone else have fun. Of course, whenever I actually do anything apart from just stand there, humiliation surly will swiftly follow, so it seems as if an ungodly amount of embarrassing incidents have occurred in the past few months... too many to go into detail, but the most recent one was when I was trying to teach a particular move at a hula hoop class called a ‚Å“vertical-barrel-roll‚ and I described it to about twenty people as ‚Å“Like you're ‚œ uh ‚œ taking it doggy style.‚

I also seem to have acquired some sort of bar-stalking man with a midlife crisis who believes we are soulmates. It all started when we were both seeing a DJ on Halloween. I was Leela from Futurama and he was Zapp Brannigan. My night was spent trying to get a picture of the two of us together, yet he was too drunk to comprehend what I was trying to tell him and neither of us had a camera. In the meantime, however, he has made increasingly uncomfortable ‚Å“moves‚ on me whenever we happen to frequent the same bar at the same time (which seems to happen every weekend now) and tells me every time about how he makes all his own shirts. I'm not quite sure that that has to do with my accutane update, but you got that as a little treat on the side. Like an unwanted dessert that consisted of elderberry icecream.

MemberMember
(@katushkinz)

Posted : 01/26/2011 4:22 pm

I hope to get to the place where you are at in 6-7 months!

MemberMember
(@whateverclever)

Posted : 07/09/2011 12:40 pm

Oh. My. God. I literally just sat here on my ass and read your entire log. True story. It's 2:30am where I am now so everyone's asleep, but I've been glued to my computer and intermittently cracking up like a mentally unstable person. You are so hilarious it's not even fair. You really have a way with words, and I really, really hope you're pursuing some form of writing in your life now.

Having read your magnum opus, I feel like I actually sort of know you (if that's not too presumptuous) and I'm so happy for you and your life with clear skin! If you ever see this post, I ask that you consider writing a one-year post-accutane update, because I'm curious to see how your skin is doing now. I'm on day 14 of my 'tane course and I'm hoping to finally have clear skin again after seven years of acne (having had it since I was about 12). Anyway, thank you so much for documenting your epic journey here, and with so much hilarity and detail. I've enjoyed every word of it.

You are terribly funny and generally awesome, and I know you'll succeed at whatever you choose to do in life! Hope you are enjoying your new life with clear skin! peace + love

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 08/18/2011 7:04 pm

Hey, I just loved your log! Way too funny. I am posting on here so other can see it. Too funny to pass up. I sure hope that you update in the near future!

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 05/09/2013 8:12 pm

MemberMember
(@readytolive)

Posted : 05/10/2013 11:15 am

loved your log it gives me hope! I'm only one month in with no results yet my skin is still greasy actually but I hope I have normal person skin like you do one day! I just hate that I can't see your pics for some reason photobucket says error but I truly enjoyed reading your log as a fellow 20 year old girl just ready to live life and party it up a little without having to worry about my stupid skin!

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 05/23/2013 2:07 am

oh hey there stranger. my skin has done a back flip... twice... i took accutane last year for 5 months.. and i could possibly have to take it again very soon.

sigh.