Notifications
Clear all

Starting The Regimen Day 1 Completed

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/21/2012 10:16 am

Week 1 Completed and here is what happened:

Day 1-3 of starting Dan's Regimen the dryness and flakiness had begun. I was only using about half a pump of the bp twice a day. A few pimples everyday but they were going away faster than what I am normally used to seeing.

Day 4-6 I have been breaking out with maybe about 8 pimples. The dryness has subsided so I have increased the bp to one full pump by day 6. I also have purchased the jojoba oil with is the BEST thing for the dryness and flakiness. I just put about 6-8 drop in the mostiurzer before I put it on my face. My pervious acne spots have really faded because of the flaking which is good. Also all the little bumpss on my skin are completely gone! I probably had like 50 all over my chin and they are freakin gone. smile.png

Day 7 all my raised pimples that used to high above my skin are literally very very flat now.

thereisalwayshope, are you experiencing really bad burning when doing the regimen? I just wrote about this on my topic, my skin was burning SO much last night.

Do you know if this is normal?

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 07/21/2012 4:17 pm

Thereisalwayshope - I would strongly advise you to stick with the acne.org regimen for at least 4 months. I know there are a lot of people on these forums who seem to be really against using BP on acne and luckily managed to control their condition through diet changes but not everyone's acne is controlled through diet changes alone.

I speak as someone who suffered acne for over 20 years and for at least the last ten years I have had a very healthy diet. I do believe certain foods can trigger acne (for me it's cow's milk) but there is no way that diet changes alone is the answer for ALL acne sufferers.

I started on the acne.org regimen a few years ago and it literally took 4 months before I had any improvement. During that time I had severe dryness etc and really thought it wasn't going to work for me BUT I persevered with it and I started to see improvement month by month. To this day, it has been the single most effective acne treatment I have tried (and I have tried many, many treatments since 1988!).

I have said this before but I will say it again - I really wish the internet had been so widely available when I was a teenager. If I had found this regimen earlier I could have saved myself so many years of misery with my skin problem that has affected so much of my life. I also would not have all the scars that I am now struggling to deal with.

I bet if you really stick with this and I mean literally follow Dan's instructions by the book you will see good improvement in your skin.

I wish you the best of luck.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/22/2012 12:02 pm

Thereisalwayshope - I would strongly advise you to stick with the acne.org regimen for at least 4 months. I know there are a lot of people on these forums who seem to be really against using BP on acne and luckily managed to control their condition through diet changes but not everyone's acne is controlled through diet changes alone.

I speak as someone who suffered acne for over 20 years and for at least the last ten years I have had a very healthy diet. I do believe certain foods can trigger acne (for me it's cow's milk) but there is no way that diet changes alone is the answer for ALL acne sufferers.

I started on the acne.org regimen a few years ago and it literally took 4 months before I had any improvement. During that time I had severe dryness etc and really thought it wasn't going to work for me BUT I persevered with it and I started to see improvement month by month. To this day, it has been the single most effective acne treatment I have tried (and I have tried many, many treatments since 1988!).

I have said this before but I will say it again - I really wish the internet had been so widely available when I was a teenager. If I had found this regimen earlier I could have saved myself so many years of misery with my skin problem that has affected so much of my life. I also would not have all the scars that I am now struggling to deal with.

I bet if you really stick with this and I mean literally follow Dan's instructions by the book you will see good improvement in your skin.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much. Your advice really means a lot me to. I know that my skin looks pretty bad if you look at my gallery and I have to understand that I can not expect it to all go away over night. I want to stick with it for as long as I need to stay clear.

It is crazy that it took you four months to start seeing some improvement! Did you have moderate or severe acne like mine?

If you look at the last picture in my gallery you can see with in 6 days of the regimen there is already a tiny bit of good improvement. I am just waiting and trying to be as patient as possible.

I do follow Dans Regimen very strictly. I know that if i start making modifications my results will not be as good. Also how much bp are you having to use now? Are you still using the full dose? I have heard that some are able to use less or only use it once a day, however since my acne is pretty bad i do not know if the same will tod true for me.

Again thank you!

I love when people who had already been through it give me advise smile.png It just makes everything a little easier smile.png

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 07/22/2012 2:08 pm

I made a post last month on the scar forum thanking everyone for sharing their experiences as it has greatly helped me decide which scar treatment I should try and which I should avoid. I do think it is a good thing for us to share with other people what has worked for us and what hasn't. HOWEVER, the really important thing you have to watch out for on these forums are the few extremely negative people who seem to enjoy knocking down other people's attempts at healing their acne or scars and then saying insincere things like "I'm just trying to help them" etc etc. Well, if they are, some of them have a lot to learn about manners and there are ways you can give informed advice and ways you shouldn't speak to people!

From your posts so far I would guess you are a very positive, friendly and helpful person - your positive attitude will get you through this until you do find something that works for YOU. Hopefully, you will have success with the acne.org regimen, I certainly have along with many, many other people. I do see looking through the boards that not everyone is fan of the BP route. Maybe they tried it for a short time and gave up when the dryness and itchiness kicked in and then decided to do their best to put everyone else off trying it - who knows!

I know I am not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind however like I said previously I have been dealing with this issue since I was 13 and I am now almost 37. During that time I have been to several doctors and dermatologists over the years. Every one put me on a different antibiotic. In the beginning they seemed to work great but then after a time my severe, cystic acne came back with a vengence. About ten years ago, I was put on accutane. It was a tough time as it initially broke me out something hellish. However, after a month my acne was literally gone - I thought it was the miracle cure but turns out it wasn't. My acne came back within a couple of months of stopping the drug. I went through all sorts of supposed acne "cures" eg. changed my diet completely - didn't stop the acne, spent a fortune on herbal medicines - made me feel sick, seriously out of pocket and again didn't help even a little bit.

After a few more years of this, I came across this website and initially thought it sounded just too easy if you know what I mean? BP is one of the first things I tried back in the 80's when I first got acne and other than dry up my spots it did nothing to prevent them appearing. I ordered the kit and was still fairly skeptical but desperate so I started on the regimen. Literally by the second month I was ready to give up as I was still breaking out and my skin was very dry and itchy. I honestly think it took about four months before my skin adjusted to the amount of BP you have to use on this regimen. After then month by month the only tiny little break outs I got were premenstrual ones.

Sorry about the length of this post I didn't meant to go on for so long! Just to answer your other question - yes my acne was severe before accutane but after accutane I would describe it as moderate. The regimen is what took it from moderate to 99% clear. My skin is so used to the BP now that I slather on a pump and a half once a day only (in the late evening) and that is now enough for me. Don't lose heart, it does take quite some time to get to that stage but I believe it is achievable.

I just realised that last paragraph pretty much would have answered all your questions without all the other stuff - sorry!!

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/22/2012 2:53 pm

I made a post last month on the scar forum thanking everyone for sharing their experiences as it has greatly helped me decide which scar treatment I should try and which I should avoid. I do think it is a good thing for us to share with other people what has worked for us and what hasn't. HOWEVER, the really important thing you have to watch out for on these forums are the few extremely negative people who seem to enjoy knocking down other people's attempts at healing their acne or scars and then saying insincere things like "I'm just trying to help them" etc etc. Well, if they are, some of them have a lot to learn about manners and there are ways you can give informed advice and ways you shouldn't speak to people!

From your posts so far I would guess you are a very positive, friendly and helpful person - your positive attitude will get you through this until you do find something that works for YOU. Hopefully, you will have success with the acne.org regimen, I certainly have along with many, many other people. I do see looking through the boards that not everyone is fan of the BP route. Maybe they tried it for a short time and gave up when the dryness and itchiness kicked in and then decided to do their best to put everyone else off trying it - who knows!

I know I am not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind however like I said previously I have been dealing with this issue since I was 13 and I am now almost 37. During that time I have been to several doctors and dermatologists over the years. Every one put me on a different antibiotic. In the beginning they seemed to work great but then after a time my severe, cystic acne came back with a vengence. About ten years ago, I was put on accutane. It was a tough time as it initially broke me out something hellish. However, after a month my acne was literally gone - I thought it was the miracle cure but turns out it wasn't. My acne came back within a couple of months of stopping the drug. I went through all sorts of supposed acne "cures" eg. changed my diet completely - didn't stop the acne, spent a fortune on herbal medicines - made me feel sick, seriously out of pocket and again didn't help even a little bit.

After a few more years of this, I came across this website and initially thought it sounded just too easy if you know what I mean? BP is one of the first things I tried back in the 80's when I first got acne and other than dry up my spots it did nothing to prevent them appearing. I ordered the kit and was still fairly skeptical but desperate so I started on the regimen. Literally by the second month I was ready to give up as I was still breaking out and my skin was very dry and itchy. I honestly think it took about four months before my skin adjusted to the amount of BP you have to use on this regimen. After then month by month the only tiny little break outs I got were premenstrual ones.

Sorry about the length of this post I didn't meant to go on for so long! Just to answer your other question - yes my acne was severe before accutane but after accutane I would describe it as moderate. The regimen is what took it from moderate to 99% clear. My skin is so used to the BP now that I slather on a pump and a half once a day only (in the late evening) and that is now enough for me. Don't lose heart, it does take quite some time to get to that stage but I believe it is achievable.

I just realised that last paragraph pretty much would have answered all your questions without all the other stuff - sorry!!

Yes I try to be a positive as I can be, and I am well aware of those people that are completely against I just have to find what works for me.

Thank you sooo much or replying to my post I love your advise! How long did it take you to get completely clear like you are now?

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 07/22/2012 3:12 pm

You are welcome!

For the first year I was still doing the regimen twice per day every day as I really didn't want to make any changes to my skin care routine in case I started breaking out again. It was probably after month 4 that things really started to improve for me. Even so, it was a very gradual thing.

I had a few days where I was literally unable to do the routine as I stupidly went away for a few days and forgot to take my BP with me! The weird thing was I didn't break out that time so after around a year of the twice per day thing I tried out just once per day in the evening. I find it easier doing the regimen once in the evening close to bed time as applying my make up over the BP during the day was always tricky!

I know some people complain that this regimen only works for as long as you are doing it and it's not for everyone if they find applying BP to their face once or twice a day a real pain. However, for me personally I am just glad I finally found something that works after all these years so if I am still applying BP to my face when I am 70 - so be it!

One tip I would give which you may already have discovered - always use white pillowcases! I ruined so much bedding before I switched to white..........

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/23/2012 12:16 pm

You are welcome!

For the first year I was still doing the regimen twice per day every day as I really didn't want to make any changes to my skin care routine in case I started breaking out again. It was probably after month 4 that things really started to improve for me. Even so, it was a very gradual thing.

I had a few days where I was literally unable to do the routine as I stupidly went away for a few days and forgot to take my BP with me! The weird thing was I didn't break out that time so after around a year of the twice per day thing I tried out just once per day in the evening. I find it easier doing the regimen once in the evening close to bed time as applying my make up over the BP during the day was always tricky!

I know some people complain that this regimen only works for as long as you are doing it and it's not for everyone if they find applying BP to their face once or twice a day a real pain. However, for me personally I am just glad I finally found something that works after all these years so if I am still applying BP to my face when I am 70 - so be it!

One tip I would give which you may already have discovered - always use white pillowcases! I ruined so much bedding before I switched to white..........

Wow four months to see any improvement!? That is a heck of a long time to wait especially for a person like my who has absolutely no patience comfort.gif I am really trying to work on that though because that is the most important part of following the regimen.

I had a brother who was using bp before and I knew already that it bleaches everything so I made sure everything I used was white. Applying the BP is somewhat of a pain because of all the waiting you have to do between each step, but as long as my face looks better than I really so not care about who long it takes. A clear face is worth it!

So here is my update:

Day 9: I woke up in the middle of the night because my face was in so much pain. I could feel I had just gotten a HUGE, i mean HUGE breakout. I got 4-6 cysts on each cheek, and few little pimples on my temples and forehead, and many little pimples on my chin. (by many i mean like 10!) This is such a bummer sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

I had to go and take an ibuprofen to help with the inflammation because I felt to much pain on my face.

KATE75 and everyone else did this happen to you? This is so incredibly discouraging. I know i still have to be patient but man does this just make you feel terrible.

And again I would like to say thank you to everyone trying to help me through this journey because I do not know If I can do it without all the positive feedback. smile.png

I really really appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 07/24/2012 10:01 am

Yes, I was still breaking out on a fairly regular basis for the first four months. I understand how you must be feeling right now as it is an incredibly frustrating feeling when you are doing your very best to heal your skin and it feels like just as you are seeing a little improvement on your existing acne, you are hit with yet another breakout. I think so many people who don't suffer from this just don't appreciate how negatively it can affect people's lives.

Important thing is to stick with it till hopefully you turn that corner and start to see some results. Like I said earlier, by month 2 I was not only struggling with the breakouts but the redness and itchiness of my skin as it was adjusting to the large amount of BP I was using on it. I can't speak for everyone but for me personally, I don't think the BP really did much in the way of preventing new acne until month 4. I know it dried up my spots as they appeared, but it was only after those first few months that it slowly began to actually prevent the breakouts I had been experiencing.

Basically I think most people's skin will look bad in the beginning of the regimen as like most acne treatments it takes a long time to see the benefits. Once you get the results though (and I truly believe you will if you stick with this) then it will be so worth it.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/24/2012 3:53 pm

Yup it is incredibly frustrating but there is always hope. And yes I am going to stick with it because there is just soooo many success stories of me to just quit. So that is not an option. After that breakout though, today my pimples are so tiny! I am so happy that they tend to go away within about 2-3 days.

Despite the breakouts I have been getting there has still been a lot of improvement compared to when before starting the regimen. The breakout dry out quickly. I do see results even after 10 days that I am very proud of. I am glad I am seeing some early results because so many people i not see any results till many more weeks in.

I will post another picture this Saturday at the two week mark so that you and everyone else can see the improvement, despite the breakouts I have been getting almost on a daily basis. I am happy for your support :)

I ordered two more bottles of the BP, because I just want to be prepared and use the products like Dan says to haha.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/25/2012 9:54 am

Day 12 Update:

Yet another breakout. Goodness, when are they going to stop? Almost on a daily basis I am getting a breakout. And they are the painful under the skin pimples. Ah.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/26/2012 11:51 am

Day 13 Update:

This sucks. Face is looking pretty bad. I do not know what is happening. My skin looks sooo bad. I hate the way it looks right now, and I just hope this breakout will go away. I probably am getting 5 or more every morning I look in the mirror. Ugh.

MemberMember
(@mystory)

Posted : 07/26/2012 6:14 pm

Day 13 Update:

This sucks. Face is looking pretty bad. I do not know what is happening. My skin looks sooo bad. I hate the way it looks right now, and I just hope this breakout will go away. I probably am getting 5 or more every morning I look in the mirror. Ugh.

Yup.. same for me... I feel like I'm destroying my skin right now. AAAHHHH

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/26/2012 6:30 pm

Day 13 Update:

Yup.. same for me... I feel like I'm destroying my skin right now. AAAHHHH

Yeah I know I just want to scream! And stay in a little corner and have no contact with anyone 🙁 I am not going to let little disgusting pimples win though. Let's continue shall we?

MemberMember
(@mystory)

Posted : 07/26/2012 6:33 pm

OK deal :)

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 07/27/2012 8:17 am

There is one thing I just remembered that I feel I should point out just in case it may be causing a problem with you guys. When I started on the regimen a few years ago using acne.org moisturiser, the ingredients were slightly different from the one Dan sells now.

This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but in my case I absolutely cannot cope with his new moisturiser. I bought the 16oz bottle last year and used it one time only and I had an awful reaction to it. Maybe it's just my weird skin, but it caused my eyes to swell up and my whole face felt like it was on fire. Took several days for the burning, itchy redness to disappear. I have never used it since and I believe I must have a real problem with the lichochalcone in it. A lot of people seem to like the new moisturiser but there is also a thread asking Dan to bring back the old formula - which I loved!

I quickly switched back to my usual moisturiser and it's been fine ever since. I'm not sure how your skin feels when you apply the moisturiser maybe you are okay with it but I thought I would share my experience with you just in case it may be causing you some problems also.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/27/2012 11:33 am

There is one thing I just remembered that I feel I should point out just in case it may be causing a problem with you guys. When I started on the regimen a few years ago using acne.org moisturiser, the ingredients were slightly different from the one Dan sells now.

This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but in my case I absolutely cannot cope with his new moisturiser. I bought the 16oz bottle last year and used it one time only and I had an awful reaction to it. Maybe it's just my weird skin, but it caused my eyes to swell up and my whole face felt like it was on fire. Took several days for the burning, itchy redness to disappear. I have never used it since and I believe I must have a real problem with the lichochalcone in it. A lot of people seem to like the new moisturiser but there is also a thread asking Dan to bring back the old formula - which I loved!

I quickly switched back to my usual moisturiser and it's been fine ever since. I'm not sure how your skin feels when you apply the moisturiser maybe you are okay with it but I thought I would share my experience with you just in case it may be causing you some problems also.

I do not use his moisturizer on his BP. I like my moisturizer and cleanser. I think I need to be more patient and be more positive about my skin!

Day 14 update:

My face: Hurts. Is red. Itches like crazy. Flaky. I am still waking up to a few actives every morning. I am only two weeks in as so far it is it is looking worse than the first week on The Regimen. I am not going to let this discourage me, because this has happened to many people starting the regimen. I am hoping for a better 3rd week. Thanks everyone smile.png

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/27/2012 7:48 pm

Since yesterday I am experiencing a 5% percent improvement. I am happy for this.

Everything just takes time.

Goodnight. Everyone.

One month goal: Have at least a 10% improvement. (More would be better :) )

MemberMember
(@mystory)

Posted : 07/28/2012 10:15 am

Since yesterday I am experiencing a 5% percent improvement. I am happy for this.

Goodnight. Everyone.

One month goal: Have at least a 10% improvement. (More would be better smile.png )

I'm happy it's improving. Fingers crossed. I want this to work for you so badly! You're a really nice person and deserve great skin.

I just read on godawfulface's log that she never experience purging. I'm wondering why I am...

I actually started applying a bit less BP on my face at night and my face seems to be less irritated. Since I have extremely sensitive skin, perhaps I was just exhausting my skin. We'll see...

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/28/2012 10:25 am

Goodnight. Everyone.

One month goal: Have at least a 10% improvement. (More would be better smile.png )

I'm happy it's improving. Fingers crossed. I want this to work for you so badly! You're a really nice person and deserve great skin.

I just read on godawfulface's log that she never experience purging. I'm wondering why I am...

I actually started applying a bit less BP on my face at night and my face seems to be less irritated. Since I have extremely sensitive skin, perhaps I was just exhausting my skin. We'll see...

I do not know. My face has always purged to everything I have previously used on my face, so I really can not say that it was a complete surprise that I am breaking out.

But I did watch this one Doctor show on TV, and they said that it takes about a month for your skin to complete its cycle, meaning even if you seem to have clear skin today you could experience a breakout in a weak because of that skin cycle. It is supposed to be a month or so for most but for some it could be much more. It just depends on your own body.

And thanks 🙂 I know you deserve it as much as I 🙂

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/28/2012 10:40 am

Also how is your diet? What are eating and not eating? I am eating everything :(

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/29/2012 12:13 pm

Day 16 update:

I did not breakout on my chin! WOW. That is a first. still more pimples on my cheeks though. I still have a lot of active pimples to really notice a big difference sad.png Bleh.

Lets keep going....

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:54 am

Day 17 Update:

My left cheek is doing a million times better than my right cheek. My right cheek keeps erupting in pimples and I do not understand why it is so much? sad.png Anyway more progress to come smile.png

MemberMember
(@mystory)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:15 pm

Day 17 Update:

My left cheek is doing a million times better than my right cheek. My right cheek keeps erupting in pimples and I do not understand why it is so much? sad.png Anyway more progress to come smile.png

Do you sleep or talk on your phone on your right cheek? If so, that is probably to blame. I always sleep/talk on my right cheek and it's always been my worst problem area.

I'm trying really hard to sleep on my back now because I know for a fact that sleeping on my side just irritates my skin.

Imagine, we are trying to be so gentle with our cleansing, treating & moisturizing, using a feather-like touch and then at night we completely irritate our skins by sleeping on it in the pillow.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:53 pm

Day 17 Update:

Do you sleep or talk on your phone on your right cheek? If so, that is probably to blame. I always sleep/talk on my right cheek and it's always been my worst problem area.

I'm trying really hard to sleep on my back now because I know for a fact that sleeping on my side just irritates my skin.

Imagine, we are trying to be so gentle with our cleansing, treating & moisturizing, using a feather-like touch and then at night we completely irritate our skins by sleeping on it in the pillow.

Um no. But my acne acts in this pattern. It is weird, but one cheek is worse on week and then the other another time. I do not hold my phone on my skin, and i try and keep it away. I actually like sleeping on my back haha, is that weird? My boyfriend seems to think so haha. He says I sleep like a mummy! Meanie! 🙂

I do not know. I just need more time at this point. I can't wait for us to be at the 3 months mark! I am so excited for us haha!

More acne talk tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 07/31/2012 11:46 am

Okay everyone!

Day 18 is here. And here is what is happening with my skin...

My chin was a problem site for months now and I have been waking up to anywhere from 2-5 pimples every day. Now I am waking up to 0-1. That is an improvement so far. I have read that people to clear in certain places before others so lets hope that is the case for me as well.

My cheeks sad.png I hate my cheeks. I still have ample amounts of actives lingering for me to see. I an used to waking up to a few new pimples every morning and I think that is still happening. It is hard to tell because there is so much going on with my cheeks. I get dark spot every time a pimple goes away so it is making my face look worse than it is right now. I am still taking things one day at a time though smile.png

I am getting some pimples on my temples which is not completely unusual, but I hate them. Also, I got a pimple close to my eye? That was not something I would expect ten from my terrible skin haha. I am not using any BP on that, because I can't see that being a problem area in the near future. Also I do not want BP anywhere near my dear eyes haha.

Overal on a scale on 1-10. I would still rate my skin at being a 9. A 9 because there is not enough improvement yet.

How would you rate your skin at this point everyone?