Notifications
Clear all

The Acne Experiment, Photo Log

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 04/12/2012 9:27 am

I just replaced my Jojoba Oil because it ran out. The new one I got is the same as the old one though :D That website will come in handy when I'm going to replace my BP, Cleanser & Moisteriser.

Btw, you mentionned Jojoba Oil makes you breakout... if you look closely on that website, you'll notice it says some jojoba oils are more comedogenic & irritating than others! So, perhaps you just need to try a different one?

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/12/2012 10:09 am

Hey Daniel... Nice to see you are making some progress... What brand of jojoba oil do you use? Dan has a great one but also Desert Essence works wonders... I use that one w/no issues... Keep trucking though, it only gets better with time... :)

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 04/12/2012 1:38 pm

Hi,

The Jojoba Oil I use is by NATESSANCE. On my first few days of the regimen, my skin got flakky, so I went to a supermarket and bought some jojoba oil. It worked like a charm, and so I was never bothered to look for another one.

I'm sure there are better jojoba oils out there, though. Mine contains 99,6% Jojoba Oil, a bit of suflower oil, and the rest is fragrance :( and other shit. Best Jojoba Oils, I think, are 100% pure and organic.

post-170566-0-69927600-1334255657_thumb.

post-170566-0-69927600-1334255657_thumb.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 04/12/2012 4:29 pm

I just replaced my Jojoba Oil because it ran out. The new one I got is the same as the old one though biggrin.png That website will come in handy when I'm going to replace my BP, Cleanser & Moisteriser.

Btw, you mentionned Jojoba Oil makes you breakout... if you look closely on that website, you'll notice it says some jojoba oils are more comedogenic & irritating than others! So, perhaps you just need to try a different one?

I thought all jojoba oils were the same unless one was organic. What's the difference between them?

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 04/13/2012 12:42 am

According to the site, Jojoba Oil's "comedogenity" ranks from 0/5 to 2/5 and it's irritability also ranks from 0/5 to 2/5. So I assume that some Jojoba Oils are better than others?

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 04/13/2012 4:07 pm

Hmm, I don't know how I missed that. It makes sense because when I tried it, it broke me out, but every oil and moisturizer does.

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 04/28/2012 3:46 am

Day 72

My skin has been roughly the same for the past month.

Acne

Some.

Redness

Some.

Flakyness

Some.

My Acne.Org moisteriser has run out so I had to replace it.

This is what I've replaced it with: Avene Extreme Tolerance Creme, 16‚ for 50ml (double the price of Acne.Org moisteriser).

The reason I chose the Avene product is because I didn't anticipate the impending end of my previous moisteriser.

The texture of this new moisteriser is very thick, and I have not so far found a way to mix in jojoba oil to it.

Here is the ingredient list, followed by each ingredients comedogenic and irritability ratings out of 5.

By order of abundance:

-MINERAL WATER (0:0)

-GLYCERIN(0:0)

-MINERAL OIL (0:0)

-SQUALANE(1:0)

-SAFFLOWERSEED OIL (0:0)

-CYCLOPENTASILOXANE (Cyclomethicone) 0:0

-GLYCERYL STEARATE NSE (1:0)

-CYCLOHEXASILOXANE (contained in other noncomedogenic products)

-SODIUM CARBOMER (???)

-TITANIUM DIOXIDE (0:0)

So, theoretically, this product is really not very comedogenic at all, and not very irritating either. Only used it twice, but, so far, I agree :D

Daniel

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 05/14/2012 1:54 pm

Hi guys,

Acne

I sometimes get rare spots here and there... I ordered the AHA+ from acne.org to treat spots localy, should arrive this week.

Redness

Only a tad, and only sometimes. I put shitloads of BP on and I'm quite alright. My skin is less sensitive to BP now.

Dryness

None. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry or something, I don't put moisteriser on. My skin is less sensitive to BP now.

I don't know what day on DKR this is. 90+ probably. I look good and my self confidence is actually a slight kick from having better skin which is great. My face could still look perfect, though. That's what I'm aiming for. I have red marks from old acne though. They are fading, but damn are they fading slowly.

Ordered from Acne.Org (should be getting them this week)

-BIG facewash

-BIG BP

-BIG moisteriser

-AHA+

There biggrin.png

The moisteriser I had bought from Avene wasn't THAT great. If I had put BP on that morning, the moisteriser would not blend in at all (it would leave very visible marks) and even if I didn't use BP the product would still not blend in 100%. As a guy, I cannot stress how important it is that the treatment is NOT visible. I dread 100 times more the "Hey man, why have you got those white marks on your face?" than "Hey man, that spot is nasty, why don't you treat it?"

Regards,

Daniel

PS: My PC cam is shit and you won't really see much difference from here-on-out until I get a better camera - which isn't on my priority list, sorry! biggrin.png Photo with me in black shirt is a bit old (1month), photo in green shirt is today.

post-170566-0-56031000-1337021526_thumb.post-170566-0-51486300-1337021528_thumb.

MemberMember
(@ammy)

Posted : 05/15/2012 6:14 am

Wow looks great ! I'm on my 2-3rd week now and my face still terrible lol... seeing your progress give me hope =)

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 05/18/2012 1:46 pm

@Ammy: Hello, thanks for posting! I'm so happy that my log is giving you hope smile.png

It's normal that you are breaking out on week 3 - I hope it clears up fast, but if it doesn't then just be patient and don't irritate your spots. You should take photos of your face while it is like this, and it will remind you what you were like when you started the regimen. You will not regret it when you are in week 12+ and your skin is starting to behave. You should post it on your log.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 05/30/2012 8:34 am

Nice.......I can't wait to have my face looking like yours..

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 08/05/2012 1:25 am

Hi,

Day 170

I am just about 6 months into DKR and my skin is completely acne free at this particular moment, but I do have 2 red marks on my nose left over from BIG MASSIVE spots that I'd had. They started getting inflammed deep under my skin, took ages to surface, then, when they did surface they did surface took ages to calm down, and now I have these red marks which I expect to keep 6 months - 1 year. Tried putting BP on them 3x a day and AHA+ 3x a day but that didn't help. Those spots were seriously unstoppable and a soon as the first one was starting to heal, a second one popped straight out! MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

Any tips on how to make these red marks go away faster is more than welcome of course.

Small spots do sometimes surface but usually go away fast.

You can assess my progress through these photos.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 08/20/2012 10:43 am

Hey Daniel.... It's amazing the turn around your skin has made... You should be quite proud... :) As far as fading red marks, I honestly believe the only way the really fade is with time and patience... I had tons of red marks from old breakouts and almost all have disappeared with time and patience.... Eventually you'll notice the red marks fading each day... Good luck and keep on letting us know how you're doing... :)

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 09/27/2012 8:55 am

Day 222

@ nycqueen: Thanks smile.png

Hi,

My skin has been free from inflamed acne for several weeks now. I still have blackhead and whiteheads, which means my skin isn't 100%. I my objective when I started this regimen was to go 100% perfect skin. So I've started using AHA+ all over the face to exfoliate it and keep it blackhead free. The problem with AHA+ that I've noticed is that it's very irritating for my skin, and I can only apply it once or twice a week if I want to keep an even skin tone - and I do.

Regarding white heads, I do not know what to do - will probably have to go so a dermatologist at some point.

post-170566-0-67403300-1348754092_thumb.

post-170566-0-67403300-1348754092_thumb.

MemberMember
(@paolo)

Posted : 09/27/2012 5:40 pm

honestly do you think it was worth it? i have mild acne and to get clear skin that seems a painful long process. i commend you for being braver than I. That will be my last resort, but im glad to see it works in the long run

MemberMember
(@return)

Posted : 09/30/2012 10:04 am

Hi Paolo,

I would do it again if I had to. Besides, my camera does not do a great homage to the effect BP has had on my skin; my acne was quite suttle, and the camera is shit, so it didn't pick up on all the small imperfections I had. Now, I often wake up and have good or very good skin that I'm almost starting to become proud of. People treat me differently because I am more good looking.

The redness took ~6 months to go away completely. My regret is that it is so very expensive to ship these products to France; transport + taxes, which mean it's expensive.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/09/2012 2:56 pm

Hi Paolo,

I would do it again if I had to. Besides, my camera does not do a great homage to the effect BP has had on my skin; my acne was quite suttle, and the camera is shit, so it didn't pick up on all the small imperfections I had. Now, I often wake up and have good or very good skin that I'm almost starting to become proud of. People treat me differently because I am more good looking.

The redness took ~6 months to go away completely. My regret is that it is so very expensive to ship these products to France; transport + taxes, which mean it's expensive.

I noticed this too. When I had severe acne, people would stare and I even heard someone walking down the halls of my university saying "Oh god dang!"

Now people talk to me like without some weird measure of sympathy or with darting glances at all of my spots. When you talk to someone with acne, look straight into their eyes, right? Many really don't give a shit about this.

Worst experience was when I was at a market and some teenage kid walked past me and said "god DAMN you're ugly". The strange thing is, I wasn't too affected by it cool.png

There are worse things in life than being ugly.

I personally consider acne to be a blessing in disguise. For me to have suffered with it for more than a decade is enough. I know the pain and I just refuse to treat people that way. People that are just like me, but with different problems.