Notifications
Clear all

Acne in the 30s and onward

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/14/2006 1:47 pm

I couldn't find any directions anywhere for how much to use so I was just guessing. I guess I'll cut back a bit then, eh? ;)

Cam >B)

One quick question, then. If I'm using the Diacneal on its own, how much should I be using? I guess I've been using one squiggly finger's worth for my whole face.

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it does sound like quite a lot! The directions probably say to use a "pea-sized" amount. Start with that, and if it isn't enough to cover your whole face, add another pea. :)

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/14/2006 1:54 pm

Yeah, basically you want to be able to cover your whole face thinly.

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/14/2006 3:39 pm

no,there are no directions with diacneal as how much to use

i use a lot, since the beginning, and haven't found that it makes my skin red or sensitive.

i use probably a full "squiggly" finger for my whole face and neck sides

i'll make a photo of how much i use tomorrow, if it's of any help to you

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/14/2006 3:53 pm

Oh thanks. I don't think you need to go to all that trouble. I imagine that the squiggly line is pretty similar to the one that Dan illustrates for the DKR with Neutrogena On the Spot. :)

Cam >B)

no,there are no directions with diacneal as how much to use

i use a lot, since the beginning, and haven't found that it makes my skin red or sensitive.

i use probably a full "squiggly" finger for my whole face and neck sides

i'll make a photo of how much i use tomorrow, if it's of any help to you

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/14/2006 4:21 pm

well, actually it's not that squiggly

a bit less than that, then

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/15/2006 11:14 am

OK so last night was my first night of using Diacneal without BP. When I dispensed the whole squiggly finger onto my hand and rubbed it in, I felt like I didn't have enough. But when I put the rest on in parts, dotting it on the areas of my face then rubbing it in, it worked much better. Using it full strength didn't yield any adverse reactions. But I did need to put on some moisturizer afterward to make my face feel normal.

This morning, I put on the full amount of BP, one thick finger, to make sure that all the p. acnes nasties were getting smothered and murdered like they should be.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/16/2006 1:16 pm

I'm noticing that I'm getting more small, shaving-related spots recently. I also noticed that I shave at night and put the Diacneal on top of freshly shaved skin. I'm not sure why my skin is reacting like it is, but I think I'll start shaving in the morning and putting BP on top of that freshly shaved skin.

Or maybe I'll stop shaving altogether and move to the Ozarks.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/17/2006 8:01 am

or maybe think about trimming before you decide to change your habitat?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/17/2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I already trim. The shaving-related spots I'm getting are just at the edge of my beard where I have to shave, or I end up looking like a mountain man.

Cam >B)

or maybe think about trimming before you decide to change your habitat?
MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/19/2006 1:17 am

Since I've been using the Diacneal on its own, I've noticed that I need to use quite a bit of it (more than I've been previously recommended) just to get it to cover my face. It just dries out too quickly and doesn't spread easily enough. So tonight, I mixed a few drops of jojoba in with it, and the recommended amount went on like a dream. Does anyone see any problems with that? I can't see jojoba badly interacting with the Diacneal or preventing it from absorbing. I've been using jojoba before my BP for months.

A plus is that I don't need to apply any moisturizer after the Diacneal. My skin feels "normal" without it when I use the jojoba.

Anyone? Bueller?

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/19/2006 6:44 am

is your skin overdried? that may be the reason why it's absorbing like crazy.

btw, how much diacneal do you use after all? i've never had problems with my amount, even when my skin is at its driest

oh, and i also do part by part of my face, i think it helps with the amount

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/19/2006 9:39 am

That's a good idea.

By mixing Diacneal with jojoba, you are buffering the effects of the Diacneal on your skin. This is fine if you are trying to prevent irritation, but not a good idea if you want to use the product to full effect.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/19/2006 4:31 pm

My skin isn't dry at all so I don't think that it's absorbing right away. I just find the consistency of the Diacneal not very conducive to spreading well.

I do it part by part on my face as well, using a little pea-sized amount each on my forehead, cheeks, nose, jaw, and chin. But even still, it dries out before I can spread it around to each full area. My face isn't even the least bit irritated by that amount (five pea-sized drops), but I really have to pull on my skin to spread it around. If I add even just a drop of jojoba, I spread it very easily over my whole face and even my neck.

I don't want to lose any effect of the Diacneal, but I don't want to pull at my face, either. I think I'll compromise a little buffering for a lot of pulling. Alternatively, is there something I could mix the Diacneal with to make it easier to spread?

Thanks for the input!

Cam >B)

That's a good idea.

By mixing Diacneal with jojoba, you are buffering the effects of the Diacneal on your skin. This is fine if you are trying to prevent irritation, but not a good idea if you want to use the product to full effect.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/19/2006 5:13 pm

Does it work if you add a drop of water instead of a drop of oil?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/19/2006 5:55 pm

That's genius! I'll try that.

Thanks!

Cam >B)

Does it work if you add a drop of water instead of a drop of oil?
MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/20/2006 10:52 am

Adding a drop of water to the Diacneal to help it spread worked like a dream. Thanks, LionQueen.

And so far, I haven't had any unusual spots from using BP only once a day. I'm crossing my fingers.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/20/2006 5:36 pm

Adding a drop of water to the Diacneal to help it spread worked like a dream. Thanks, LionQueen.

Hey, no problem. Glad we solved that one so easily.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/21/2006 1:18 pm

I've taken the jojoba out of my regimen because I don't need as much moisturizing since I'm on BP only once a day. I'm still using quite a bit of BP because I'm afraid to start breaking out again. But I'd like to start lowering the amount slowly to see how little I can use and still not break out.

I'd also like to add a BHA to my night routine, and it looks like Paula Begoun's 2% BHA gel looks like a great choice. I wish that it were sold directly in Canada because I hate paying for shipping. Is there another local option for Canadians?

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/22/2006 3:38 pm

In my quest to add a reasonably priced, locally available BHA product to my night routine, I thought that I might try a toner, but I found that most of the products on the shelf have irritants, like witch hazel, menthol this-n-that, and inordinate amounts of alcohol. It's a shame because otherwise, there could have been some good options.

Then, walking through the acne care aisle of a local drug store, I noticed the old medicated cleansing pad standbys, which have salicylic acid (BHA) as their active ingredient. Well, most of these had some really irritating ingredients, but there was one that stood out as a possibility: Spectro AcneCare Cleansing Pads for Sensitive Skin. They do have denatured alcohol as an ingredient, but there are no other obvious irritating ingredients. And it's so inexpensive.

I haven't seen any reviews of it, but I figured that I could shell out a few dollars for it, and if it irritated my skin, I could just toss it. No biggie. So I'll pick up some of that tonight to add to my night routine, before the Diacneal. Now that my initial break-out from the Diacneal is over, I'm more confident in adding another product to my routine.

Oh, LionQueen, I think I'm turning into a product whore.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/28/2006 1:39 pm

OK, so I've been using the BHA for a week now, and my skin hasn't needed to adapt to it. And it looks like I can get away with BP only once a day. I've had no new spots in a while now. And even with being in the very dry and cold climate of Vernon for the past while hasn't dried out my skin. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a long-term regimen here.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@smoothie614)

Posted : 12/29/2006 8:56 pm

OK, so I've been using the BHA for a week now, and my skin hasn't needed to adapt to it. And it looks like I can get away with BP only once a day. I've had no new spots in a while now. And even with being in the very dry and cold climate of Vernon for the past while hasn't dried out my skin. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a long-term regimen here.

Cam >B)

Good luck with the regimen. It's good that BP works for you, it sure as hell doesn't work for me. 🙂 What concentration do you use?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/30/2006 2:58 am

I've had really great success with Dan's 2.5% BP. And it sounds like you're doing very well with your regimen! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Cam >B)

Cam >B)

Good luck with the regimen. It's good that BP works for you, it sure as hell doesn't work for me. :) What concentration do you use?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 01/02/2007 11:02 am

As of a few days ago, I've added a sugar scrub to my night-time routine. Basically, I gently rub white sugar on my face for some manual exfoliation. My face feels so smooth and looks very radiant.

A couple of days ago, my boyfriend said that he couldn't believe that I've ever had skin problems because it looks so nice now. Thanks, acne.org and acne.org-ers!

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 01/04/2007 10:09 am

I got a small, mildly inflammatory spot on the crook of my right jaw bone. It should be gone by tomorrow. And I had one micro-spot on the right side of my chin, but that's inactive now. Other than that, things are smooth. My usual trouble area, my forehead, hasn't had a spot in months. That is pretty unbelievable for me.

On a completely different note, I turned 32 today. Here's to a year of improved skin.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@veganocity)

Posted : 01/04/2007 4:55 pm

YAY! Happy birthday sweetie!

I've just been reading your log, and you seem so lovely, so I wanted to say hello, and congratulations, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

;)