Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum Folliculitis ?

MemberMember
(@eminentbean)

Posted : 02/21/2015 5:30 am

Hi everyone, I opened an account just to reply to this topic cause I'm at my wit's end!

Can't quite believe how many people seem to be suffering with this. I am now one of them I think!

Quick story - it all started late Dec 2014, started getting a few weird spots on forehead (between eyes) at Xmas. Thought I was probably having a breakout, so used normal acne products. About 2 weeks passed got into new year and everything started to get worse. The bumps started to spread up my forehead and by late Jan my forehead was bumpy, red, itchy and raw with all these little, what looked like clogged pores and blackheads.

I'm a picker (unfortunately) so yeah I did start to scratch the clogs out. What came out was liked hardened sebum - some of the clogs were so deep! Anyway, I've now realised picking them out doesn't much help and I've probably scarred my face quite a bit.

From January onwards I was still using my normal skin care routine all over face (cleansing oil method, plus jojoba oil for moisturiser) then I got desperate and bought some salicylic acid spot treatment which I thought was helping but didn't clear it up. Bought freederm which weirdly stung the area. Then I bought tea tree oil but because my face is quite sensitive, I mixed it with jojoba/hemp oil and lathered it on affected area.

When that didn't work I thought maybe it need extra moisture so started adding a really thick oil balm to forehead at night. That was a mistake. It started getting worse and spreading. That's when I started searching on internet and discovered PF.

I can't think what else it could be!

Start of February I bought Nizoral shampoo over the counter. Started using it morning and night (leaving on for as long as possible) and at first it seemed to be helping. I got excited! But now after nearly four weeks, it's stopped getting better. In fact it seems that while some bits clear, the bumps spread to other sections of my forehead. Most of them are under the skin (if you catch the light right, there's probably about 100 tiny flesh coloured bumps), some look like blackheads, and others pustules. It's so confusing.

Other things I've tried are baking soda and lemon juice. Lemon juice seemed to calm redness but it irritates the skin a bit!

I read lots of people talking about candida and so looked up symptoms and I think I had mild oral thrush and didn't even realise it till now! I had a very thick white coating on my tongue. So I decided to get some fluconazole (difflucan) - I've taken one tablet (150mg) and the coating on my tongue pretty much went away within 24 hours. But I'm wary of self-medicating and taking more of this. I've even now tried putting clotrimazole cream on it (thrush cream) on my forehead.

I don't want to go to my doctor cause here in the UK you're only now allowed to see your registered doctor, and mine is a TERRIBLE doctor. I know he'll just want to give me antibiotics.

Does anyone have any advice of what to try next?

I've ordered some ketoconazole cream and some more fluconazole, and I've even purchased some retin-a which I don't know whether is worth trying on my forehead (I want to use it on my face because I have normal acne there).

MemberMember
(@mrsgvid)

Posted : 03/19/2015 7:41 am

Hi everyone.

I've been struggling with PF for about 10 years now after I battled glandular fever and was put on a ridiculous range of antibiotics over about a 6 week period. It's started off mild (pimples on my back that would never go away) but a year ago completely exploded over my chest, neck, inner thighs and even my feet after two round of steroids for my chronic sinusitis.

I was desperate for a solution that wasn't just temporary and was scouring the forums trying to get answers. In the end I stumbled upon an article that highlighted a link between PF and Candida Overgrowth so I did a lot more research and realised that what was the actual root of my PF was the candida fungus that had overgrown in my gut so badly it had penetrated the cell walls and tissues in my body and come through my skin. Consequently I researched every cure, tried all the wives tales and then resorted to a very strict candida diet for 3 months which involved me cutting out anything that the fungus feeds off (carbs, starch, wheat, vinegar, 98% of the sugar and dairy) in order to starve it and kill it.

I knew I couldn't do longer than that because I love my food but I had tried everything and this was my last hope. My PF flared up more for the first few weeks but after a month I noticed a bit of an improvement (less postules and less need to use my topical treatments) at the two month mark my skin was really showing signs of improvement and the PF on everywhere except my chest and neck had gone away. By 3 months I was 95% clear with only small spots and no puss. Through this whole period I was taking a probiotic a day which I'm absolutely convinced made a huge difference in helping my body clear out everything in my gut.

So I went back to my normal quite high carb diet (still on the probiotics though) scared that it would all come back. But the wonderful news is that it's been 6 weeks now and I am absolutely delighted to say my skin is now all clear everywhere on my body. Pimples under the skin on my face which I thought were just pimples have even gone which tells me I had PF pretty much all over and my chest is the clearest it has been in a decade.

If you are looking for a solution, you absolutely have to do it through diet. The topical treatments will never be able to clear up fungus that's internal and once it is in your cell walls, antifungals won't clear it up either.

I urge you if you are suffering with PF to Google 'Candida Overgrowth' find the strictest diet you can and stick to it for 3 months. It's 12 weeks of going without all the stuff you like eating for a life with CLEAR skin.

I wanted to comment on this thread because I remember feeling so hopeless and frustrated as I scoured the Internet for a solution and no one ever wrote a comment that said 'I fixed it' unless they were health obsessed and were controlling it by being on some super strict awful diet for life (which is impossible to maintain).

So please try a Candida Diet just for 3 months and you will be so thankful you did! It 100% worked for me and I had PF to varying degrees for 10 years.

Good Luck.

MemberMember
(@boomx)

Posted : 06/11/2015 11:15 am

Hi everyone.

I've been struggling with PF for about 10 years now after I battled glandular fever and was put on a ridiculous range of antibiotics over about a 6 week period. It's started off mild (pimples on my back that would never go away) but a year ago completely exploded over my chest, neck, inner thighs and even my feet after two round of steroids for my chronic sinusitis.

I was desperate for a solution that wasn't just temporary and was scouring the forums trying to get answers. In the end I stumbled upon an article that highlighted a link between PF and Candida Overgrowth so I did a lot more research and realised that what was the actual root of my PF was the candida fungus that had overgrown in my gut so badly it had penetrated the cell walls and tissues in my body and come through my skin. Consequently I researched every cure, tried all the wives tales and then resorted to a very strict candida diet for 3 months which involved me cutting out anything that the fungus feeds off (carbs, starch, wheat, vinegar, 98% of the sugar and dairy) in order to starve it and kill it.

I knew I couldn't do longer than that because I love my food but I had tried everything and this was my last hope. My PF flared up more for the first few weeks but after a month I noticed a bit of an improvement (less postules and less need to use my topical treatments) at the two month mark my skin was really showing signs of improvement and the PF on everywhere except my chest and neck had gone away. By 3 months I was 95% clear with only small spots and no puss. Through this whole period I was taking a probiotic a day which I'm absolutely convinced made a huge difference in helping my body clear out everything in my gut.

So I went back to my normal quite high carb diet (still on the probiotics though) scared that it would all come back. But the wonderful news is that it's been 6 weeks now and I am absolutely delighted to say my skin is now all clear everywhere on my body. Pimples under the skin on my face which I thought were just pimples have even gone which tells me I had PF pretty much all over and my chest is the clearest it has been in a decade.

If you are looking for a solution, you absolutely have to do it through diet. The topical treatments will never be able to clear up fungus that's internal and once it is in your cell walls, antifungals won't clear it up either.

I urge you if you are suffering with PF to Google 'Candida Overgrowth' find the strictest diet you can and stick to it for 3 months. It's 12 weeks of going without all the stuff you like eating for a life with CLEAR skin.

I wanted to comment on this thread because I remember feeling so hopeless and frustrated as I scoured the Internet for a solution and no one ever wrote a comment that said 'I fixed it' unless they were health obsessed and were controlling it by being on some super strict awful diet for life (which is impossible to maintain).

So please try a Candida Diet just for 3 months and you will be so thankful you did! It 100% worked for me and I had PF to varying degrees for 10 years.

Good Luck.

Interesting you went 3 months. I went to a herbalist and he told me just 6 weeks of just fruits and vegetables. I did it for 2 weeks and my skin was like a baby's again. The weight loss afterwards is too much though.

So, yes it is one's diet but it can come back from the times I've cheated and skipped a serving of vegetables or had some flatbread and pasta. I think what really made it come back were the almonds in some kashi cereal a friend let me have on a weekend trip. It;s weird though since I can drink Almond milk and never have signs, but when I eat raw or roasted almonds that are in put in a meal., it makes me break out. Cashews are no problem.

I agree the probiotics does help and cutting out refined and processed sugars is great

I've gotten rid of it by using Selsum Blue and will try Nizoral as well and don't live in humid climates (for sure) . Cold weather seems to keep it from coming even if you do cheat on food once in a while.

Oh, one time the derm gave me some ketaconozale tablets and those worked wonders but they said I cannot take it long term as it would really affect one's liver.

MemberMember
(@lifelemons)

Posted : 06/20/2015 10:49 pm

I NEED TO SHARE THIS

I had really bad bumps all over my forehead. They itched, burned, and drove me crazy! I avoided certain light and looking into mirrors. I went to a dermatologist but the truth is they only want to prescribe you stuff from big companies that won't really work, you'll peel and just feel more miserable then before.. Or they put you on antibiotics that will help.. but it's not a sustainable way of dealing with the bumps. SO HERES WHAT I FOUND WORKED PLEASE TRY!!!!!!

LATHER face with DHS DANDRUFF SHAMPOO 2% PYRITHIONE ZINC

WAIT 3 minutes or so.. wash it off

follow up with Noble Formula Moisturizer (the one with 2% pyrithione zinc)

OKAY LAST PART

In the morning take 1-2 zinc tablets 50mg

AND 2 ACIDOPHULUS PROBIOTIC PILLS

Good luck, stay strong, defeat the bumps!

MemberMember
(@randomuser2655478)

Posted : 07/02/2015 1:52 pm

I have been dealing with this condition for a year and at first I felt a very unbearable burning sensation on my forehead. I develop small red bumps that are very tender even without touching them. The bumps then all get whiteheads throughout the day. I am on spiro and bcp as well but never had any issues until a year ago and so far nothing has helped. The pictures below are the bumps at their worst top picture is am and bottom is pm. I would greatly appreciate some help. I am extremely desperate.

post-471988-69185_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@allison30)

Posted : 10/02/2015 11:09 pm

Has anyone here tried Omega3s & Probiotics, and not ones you buy at walmart, but ones fr the healthfood store, or fr a reputable vitamin company like Usana. I have been having bad breakout all along my hair for the past week or 2, and I've been sick, but also have noticed my immune system is lowered. My sis works in natural meds, and suggessted these vitamins, and it was like a lightbulb moment, AHA!

Obvi Omega3s & Probiotics would be good

Omega3s are anti-inflammatory

And Probiotics are anti-fungal, you should take these after any prescription meds anytime, they will help your body build good bacteria back.

But ehh I totally forgot about these two, as well as my multi-vitamins. Everyone please give these a try, I know probiotics help with my acne, I use Genestra Brands "HMF Capsules-Probiotic Formula", which i purchase at the healthfood store in, found in the refrigerator, for about $27. I take it before i go to bed at night, a few hrs after other meds.

Hope that helps someone, anyone. I know what its like to feel you are alone in this, and you are not and remember you are beautiful men and women, even if you have acne. Please remind yourself of that :D

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/07/2015 7:22 pm

I am hoping to get some help. I am miserable, diagnosed with this last week after four months of agony, being treated by MD for excema, then heat rash. GIven dose after dose of steroids, then antibiotics. I have an awful looking rash after one weeks treatment with Ketanazole shampoo and cream. It wasn't near as bad when I saw the doctor. I am itching and in so much pain. Called the dermatologist's office and was told by a nurse it would get worse before it gets better since I've probably had it awhile. Is this true for any of you? Horrible red painful rash on back, sides, and now groin area. (I'm a post-menopausal female). I always get rashes in the summer but they usually go away. Was told it's from sweating. I am physically sick from all of this and extremely discouraged.
Any help or support would be encouraged.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:07 pm

I used to have clear skin on my forehead and occasionally get two pimples or so around that time ... After a trip to NYC i started getting little white colourless bumps all over my forehead, could it be because of the heat and pollution there?

I thought they were acne and started treating it as if they were, but they just would not go away. So after 4 months of trying to get rid of them, i gave up. Then i went on a vacation to mexico..Let me tell you after a week they diminished , i did however go in the sea a lot.

Anyways they came back to haunt meshortly after. I finally decided to do a proper research on what they could be and found out that they could be folliculitis and it matched my description pretty well. I haven't been diagnosed or went to a dermatolagist because i think they are a waste of money .

Description of how they look:

Skin coloured bumps.

Some times red and they have like a microscopic hair coming out them

they Don't itch

apear when i use shampoo

cleared a bit with the ocean

Does anyone else have this? And if so how did you clear it? help!

MemberMember
(@kelly-jones)

Posted : 12/17/2015 5:42 am

IT IS THE WATER!!!! Weacne prone ppl are allergic to chemicals. STOP using them!!

Our skincan't handle Free Chlorine (Cl-), Combined Chlorine ( Sodium Hypochlorite), Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell) andIron Oxide (rust water)

Get a filtered shower head!!!! You will be amazed how your water is damaging your skin and hair. A filter will filter chemicals making your hard water softer. Trust me, I have tried everything before I started washing my body with only filtered water. Wash your face with combinations of honey, lemon, and coconut oil and sugar for exfoliation. Thayers Witch Hazel (No Alcohol) as toner. Use aloe Vera gel as moisturizer. Tea tree oil is great too. Best of wishes.

MemberMember
(@pfornot)

Posted : 04/18/2017 3:52 pm

PLEASE HELP

I am a female with PF.. I THINK!

1. vaginal yeast infections for over a year
3. What seems to be PF for over 6 months
4. Dermatologist cultered it and said there was no bacteria found but wanted to put me on more anitbitics- I refused. Derm. also said there is no test for PF
2. little red pin point dots on my inner thighs spreading down my leg. Itchy, red, burning when applied medical cream. When shave they spread and appear with a white spot around the raised red dot.
3. This did appear on my chest once when i got out of the shower- very itchy. But when away in one day- i didnt do anything to treat it because i didnt know what it was.
3. Cleared on antibiotics (cephalexin).. and came back 2-3 days after the anitbiotic was finished
4. when it came back it spread down my leg
5. Shaving spreads this
6. Have been trying selsun blue medicated for 4 days and have seen little to no improvement
7. I started tea tree oil applied directly on the spots today
8. Started acidiphilous 2 days ago
9. Was on the whole 30 diet for months- this is a diet that completely eliminates sugar from your diet. I am not currently on it but I live my life 80% to the diet guidelines.

What I want to know is how to get tested for this?
Has there been any women who have had this and had it spread from bikini line down to leg from shaving?
Has anyone had laser hair removal- Is it okay to have this done or will it react?
If the derm. cultured in and said there was no bacteria found then why do they want to treat it with antibiotics? Is there a a chance it could be bacterial even though the culture was negative for bacteria.

MemberMember
(@pfornot)

Posted : 04/18/2017 3:56 pm

On 9/23/2014 at 8:36 PM, Inneedofskinadvice said:

Hello,

I was wondering if you fine folks will be able to help me out with a extremely stubborn case of folliculitis. I had posted about my problem in another thread, but no one answered, and unfortunately my problem is persisting. My problem started back in May with a tinea infection on my hands,arms, and thighs. They treated me with a topical anti-fungal/steroid cream. I was also on antibiotics at the time for a sinus infection. When I ended both treatments I noticed I had a spot left. I went back to my doctor said it wasn't tinea and gave me hydrocortisone cream. That didn't work and then gave me all kinds of topical antibiotics, they didn't work he gave me a oral antibiotics, that didn't work. Went to a derm that confirmed folliculitis, by way of a shave biopsy and gave me more antibiotics, and they didn't work.

I always had a sneaking suspicion that it was PF but they never gave me any anti-fungals. They said since the shave biopsy came back negative for any fungus they were not going to prescribe me any. I finally got my doctor to prescribe me some, a 4 day course (Diflucan 150mg). It was finally almost clear, then something happened, either I shaved or had sweat too much and it got way worse. I begged and my doc gave me a week dose (100mg). Its not any better. It looks like it gotten worse i don't know if that's possible haha! I'm at my wits end with this, I have spent hundreds in copays and useless prescriptions. I really need answers, or advice please guys I'm one desperate lady! I'm going to try to attach pictures of what my legs currently look like.

Any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

/gallery/album/13963-folliculitis/?do=embed">

PLEASE HELP

I am a female with PF.. I THINK!

1. vaginal yeast infections for over a year
3. What seems to be PF for over 6 months
4. Dermatologist cultered it and said there was no bacteria found but wanted to put me on more anitbitics- I refused. Derm. also said there is no test for PF
2. little red pin point dots on my inner thighs spreading down my leg. Itchy, red, burning when applied medical cream. When shave they spread and appear with a white spot around the raised red dot.
3. This did appear on my chest once when i got out of the shower- very itchy. But when away in one day- i didnt do anything to treat it because i didnt know what it was.
3. Cleared on antibiotics (cephalexin).. and came back 2-3 days after the anitbiotic was finished
4. when it came back it spread down my leg
5. Shaving spreads this
6. Have been trying selsun blue medicated for 4 days and have seen little to no improvement
7. I started tea tree oil applied directly on the spots today
8. Started acidiphilous 2 days ago
9. Was on the whole 30 diet for months- this is a diet that completely eliminates sugar from your diet. I am not currently on it but I live my life 80% to the diet guidelines.

What I want to know is how to get tested for this?
Has there been any women who have had this and had it spread from bikini line down to leg from shaving?
Has anyone had laser hair removal- Is it okay to have this done or will it react?
If the derm. cultured in and said there was no bacteria found then why do they want to treat it with antibiotics? Is there a a chance it could be bacterial even though the culture was negative for bacteria.