Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum Folliculitis ?

MemberMember
(@mr-mike-2)

Posted : 06/23/2006 2:31 pm

anyone know much about Tetrasil? it is touted as an option for folliculitis

[Edited link out]

too hard to tell what is BS these days. might just to the derm.

MemberMember
(@rachel12)

Posted : 06/23/2006 3:26 pm

mr.mike said:

anyone know much about Tetrasil? it is touted as an option for folliculitis

[Edited link out]

too hard to tell what is BS these days. might just to the derm.

It kind of looks fake. I mean, it's supposed to heal a whole bunch of stuff, skin probs that have a wide range of origins. My radar goes off on anyhting that claims to be a miracle cure-all.

MemberMember
(@life_sucks)

Posted : 06/23/2006 7:19 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but the ZNP soap sounds like an anti-bacterial soap (Im guessing ZNP is stronger?).

2 questions

1) For these suspicious funguses on skin (there are so many types of funguses), shouldn't anti bacterial soaps be effective also? (like Dial, Lever, etc.)

2) Can the ZNP soap be used as a regular soap even if the person doesn't have any fungus? I mean, just to be safe in the future or should it be used only when such conditions are present?

MemberMember
(@fruity)

Posted : 06/30/2006 7:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome Fruity! To answer one question, I was on an antibiotic, tetracycline, for about 2 years. It did sort of help my acne, but there was no change in the stuff on my legs. I've heard of the salt before. Are there any threads on how to use the salt? (like do you soak in it, rub it on, etc.)

there are threads on how to but im a computer idiot and dont know how to do that. just do a search k? good luck and keep us informed!

Sorry for my ignorance, but the ZNP soap sounds like an anti-bacterial soap (Im guessing ZNP is stronger?).

2 questions

1) For these suspicious funguses on skin (there are so many types of funguses), shouldn't anti bacterial soaps be effective also? (like Dial, Lever, etc.)

2) Can the ZNP soap be used as a regular soap even if the person doesn't have any fungus? I mean, just to be safe in the future or should it be used only when such conditions are present?

hi life sucks!

not really true of dial or other antibacterials for two reasons. one bacteria and fungi work very differently and also antibacterial soaps tend to make fungal folliculitis worse because both organisms occur normally on the skin and compete for space. if you already have a fungal problem wiping out the good bacteria on your skin allows the fungus to proliferate and thrive. make sense?

znp is more of an anti fungal soap used for pityrosporum of the scalp or body as well as seborhheic dermatitis. it is meant for dandruff but i was prescribed it for fungal folliculitis. it has the same medicine as head and shoulders but in 2% instead of 1% and wihtout all the emollients in shampoo, making it really good for skin use. you dont actually need a script to get it but she wrote it down and told me to get it.

as far as using it regularly, i would if it clears you because the moment you stop it will probably come back. but ont over use it because you dont want to get immune. just cut down to every other dya, then every third day and so on till it starts to come back. then you know your min dose. good luck.

MemberMember
(@woo-hoo)

Posted : 07/04/2006 4:42 am

Hi there,

Cant belive i found this by mistake, its good to know that there is people that are kinda going through the same things as you.(im male by the way)

Well im quite recent to Pityrosporum Folliculitis it just occured one day, i had no cule to what it was neither did a doctor, eventually after months of going back and forth(in between the reacurring) of the spots i was reffered to a dermatolagist who eventually said it was Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

I was given a course of itraconazole a weeks course, i think(which works great) i did not have a problem for abt 2 months not even a itch, then all of a sudden a return, so again got some itraconazole which tried again and funny enough did not work as good as the first batch, trying to get itraconazole tho is a nightmare cuz doctors say you should not have to much and ITS NOT a long term antibiotic.

The problem i have is i get them on my shoulders down the side of my back and a few on my stomch but the weird thing is, one side of my body gets them slightly worse than the other?? eh? i only itch in certain places, like shoulders.

At first i did not have a clue what was causing it cuz it started to go and then all of a sudden it came back and i was thinking is it something im eating? so i watched what i eat, even drinked, i watched everything stopped using shower gels, you name it i changed it!

So currently all i have is nizoral which i put on the affected areas leave few minutes then wash of do that daily for a week and then every month. (i was told that by dermatolagist) was using itroconazole but there reluctant to give me more, saying its not a long term thing.

I think the biggest problem i have with it is that i know its there and it does affect my confidence,even more so especially if going out to pub/club, as for meeting people, thats why i guess i have kinda put of starting a relationship cuz when it comes down to it, there is this rash and i know its there so of course its gonna weigh on my mind.

Anyway if people have any info,stuff to help im all ears plz get intouch everything will be appreciated, also has anyone kinda been through the same kinda things? feel the same?

cheers

MemberMember
(@fruity)

Posted : 07/04/2006 4:05 pm

hey woohoo,

You could try znp bar for everydaiy use in between nizoral. it helps alot for the itch and redness and helps healing. it is available without a prescription on the internet. i really like a sea salt recipe that was posted here by myself awhile ago(do a search for it) but right now im pregnant so i cant use the tea tree oil.(natural antifungal). it was working the best for anyting ive tried so far topically and i cant wait till im post partum and can go back to it. another small tip is to always shampoo with head and shoulders even if you dont have dandruff. its better for that to run off your skin than emollient shampoos. even better is tea tree shampoo so that the natural antifungal is running off you skin. (i prefer giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo) its got tea tree,rosemary, peppermint (all great for acne and pityrosporum)and no emollients or pore cloggers. i buy mine from the vitamin shop but you can order it online im sure. theese things combined should do wonders for you. i used to be covered and then before i got pregnant and was doing all theese i was 99 percent clear. Look up my sea saly recipe cuz that made the biggest difference to total clearing. and if you dont already try to avoid conditioner or tip your head upside down when you do it. and never use lotion or emollient or antibacterial soap. welcome to the board.

Oh, another thing that most derms wont tell you but i have noticed a definate improvment in is stimulants and sugar intake. avoid sugar and caffeine whenever possible and drink lots of water with a lemon slice squeezed in.

MemberMember
(@postfetalphase)

Posted : 07/08/2006 4:27 pm

Now, the ketoconazole.... I picked up some bottles of nizoral, and I also coincidentally got a ketoconazole 2% prescription cream recently for uses on other issues I am having... Reading up on ketoconazole I'm a little confused... does ketoconazole kill fungus itself, or just cut down on oil production?

I've used the nizoral a few times and it SEEMS to be helping although I can't say because I haven't been using it consistantly. I also find it annoying to stand in the shower for 10 minutes with nothing to do....

MemberMember
(@rachel12)

Posted : 07/10/2006 8:50 am

postfetalphase, you could rub the nizoral in before getting into the shower.

MemberMember
(@green_vegetable_man)

Posted : 07/10/2006 4:26 pm

Nizoral

There are many thoughts on what causes dandruff. There is however, only one real answer. It is now known that dandruff is primarily caused by a fungus known as Pityrosporum ovale (P. ovale). Scientists may also call it malassezia furfur.

Before you recoil in disbelief, you should know that this fungus is a naturally occurring organism found on everybody's scalp and in most cases poses no problem at all.

However, under certain circumstances, P. Ovale can proliferate, irritating the scalp and depleting it of it's nutrients. When this occurs, dead cells are shed from the scalp faster & flaking and itching are the result.

This condition is known as dandruff.

What makes Nizoral unsurpassed as a dandruff treatment?

Put simply, Nizoral treats the cause of dandruff & excess of P. ovale found on your scalp. Whilst some other treatments are busy treating only the symptoms, Nizoral goes to work on the cause.

In fact, the active ingredient in Nizoral has been clinically proven to be your best defence against P. Ovale. This gentle, active ingredient also binds to the natural protein in your hair called keratin. So it keeps working for days after you have stepped out of the shower.

The importance of binding with keratin.

Most active ingredients found in other dandruff shampoos lack the ability to bind with the keratin found in your hair. Unfortunately, this means that when rinsing the shampoo out the active ingredient is also going down the drain.

Even worse, this allows the P.Ovale to re-colonise the scalp. That is why when using these shampoos you need to wash your hair on a daily basis.

Thankfully, Nizoral has a strong affinity for keratin and actually binds with the scalp and hair shafts. Therefore, you only have to use Nizoral twice a week. Continued use just twice a week will keep dandruff from returning.

The dandruff shampoo that really shines.

Nizoral really is a gentle giant. It's tough on the cause of dandruff, yet leaves your hair looking the way you want it to look. More importantly, it helps keep your hair healthy!

Dandruff is caused by micro-organism called pityrosporum-ovle which are present in every body's scalp. Symptoms of dandruff get aggravated when exposed to dust, UV light, harsh chemical based shampoo, hair dyes etc., this results in increase in number of microbes which causes unhealthy residue over the scalp which leads to dandruff, which is the cause of unhealthy scalp results in unhealthy, lifeless hair and may result in excessive loss of hair too.

Contrary to popular notions, dandruff is usually a result of too much oiliness of the skin and scalp rather than dryness. While mild dandruff may be caused by overactive oil glands, recent evidence suggests that the more severe dandruff associated with seborrheic dermatitis may be caused by an overabundance of Pityrosporum ovale, a yeast-like organism found on healthy scalp in low numbers. With the increased scaling and oiliness of seborrheic dermatitis, these yeast organisms thrive and multiply, aggravating inflammation and scaling.

Seasonal changes, stress, and certain diseases seem to affect seborrheic dermatitis. The cold, dry air of fall and winter often triggers a flare-up. Emotional stress can worsen the condition as well. Skin cells that grow and die off too fast are the cause of dandruff, but doctors do not know why this happens. Some people with severe flaking have overactive sebaceous glands (whose task is to lubricate the skin with oils); others have an elevated level of the fungus Pityrosporum ovale, which is present in most people but to excess in dandruff sufferers. Other causative factors include family history, food allergies, excessive sweating, use of alkaline soaps, yeast infections, and stress. Even the season of the year can contribute to the problem: Cold, dry winters are notorious for bringing on dandruff or making it worse.

If dandruff flakes are greasy and yellow, the probable cause is the skin condition known as seborrheic dermatitis; dry, thick lesions consisting of large, silvery scales may be traced to the less common psoriasis of the scalp. These forms of dandruff's well as the run-of-the-mill variety &become a hazard only if you scratch to the point of causing breaks in the skin, which can place you at greater risk for infections, particularly from staph and strep bacteria.

MemberMember
(@rachel12)

Posted : 07/11/2006 11:53 am

Alright, I got my nizoral and znp bar in the mail. I tried it last night on one leg before my shower. I have bad folliculitis on my thighs (like, even the derm I used to see said it was bad), and nothing's ever made a difference. I'll keep y'all up to date. :)

MemberMember
(@fruity)

Posted : 07/11/2006 6:57 pm

good luck rachel!i hope this summer is the one!

MemberMember
(@tntutor)

Posted : 07/11/2006 9:31 pm

Alright, I got my nizoral and znp bar in the mail. I tried it last night on one leg before my shower. I have bad folliculitis on my thighs (like, even the derm I used to see said it was bad), and nothing's ever made a difference. I'll keep y'all up to date. :)

Where did you order your Nizoral and ZNP from? Was the Nizoral 2%? Let me know. I am ready to order mine as well and the fact that your DID arrive in the mail is a good sign! :) Thanks

MemberMember
(@postfetalphase)

Posted : 07/12/2006 7:07 am

Has anyone here gotten prescription ketoconazole cream for their folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@rachel12)

Posted : 07/12/2006 8:57 am

tntutor, I got it from amazon.com. I don't know what percent it is offhand, sinc eI'm at work now. I don't recall there being ones with different percents.

MemberMember
(@lexytastic)

Posted : 07/17/2006 7:24 pm

I may have this, can I see some pictures?

MemberMember
(@rachel12)

Posted : 07/18/2006 4:33 pm

I may have this, can I see some pictures?

You can see it on Amazon. Nizoral is in a dark blue bottle.

MemberMember
(@bella_b)

Posted : 08/02/2006 5:57 pm

How can you tell the difference between the P. Folliculitus and body acne? I self-diagnosed P.F. 2 summers ago and have used ketaconazole off and on with mixed results. Went to a new derm and she seems to think it's acne. It doesn't look like pimples though, but she told me that body acne looks different than facial acne does. I'm so confused.

MemberMember
(@curiousz)

Posted : 09/07/2006 9:20 pm

Dwadmin - What treatment (oral) did the doctors give you for your yeast infection?

MemberMember
(@dwadmin)

Posted : 09/07/2006 9:36 pm

curiousz said:

Dwadmin - What treatment (oral) did the doctors give you for your yeast infection?

Tablets that my doctor prescribed me are Ketoconazole/Itraconazole, the oral solution should be the most effective method for treatment against Pityrosporum Folliculitis but doesn't seems to work for me as I believe the yeast on my body has developed resistance to these oral medications.

In addition, taking the oral prescription for the tablets above is not a long term solution as it will have lots of side effect and may toxicate your liver as well.

Please read the below topic that I have posted about Urine therapy, I have used this treatment method together with other NON-Medication method (Natural method: AntiFungal Diet) to eradicate my symption.

[Edited link out]

Good Luck to You!!

MemberMember
(@curiousz)

Posted : 09/07/2006 11:31 pm

Dwadmin - if you have a yeast infection, it is said that Ketoconazole/Itraconazole is really effective...How many months have you been on those pills, and did you see drastic results that just diminished over time?

MemberMember
(@aliemae)

Posted : 09/13/2006 1:36 am

After researching a ton on the net and reading these threads I've come to realize that I definitely have pityrosporum folliculitis on my back neck chest and face. I've had this problem for two years and have been to several dermatoligists. Of course, Acne has been the diagnosis, and antibiotics (as everyone has reported above) made the problem worse. Retin-A didn't do a thing and I even had this blu light treatment which is supposed to be a miracle cure for acne, did not do a thing. Now I see why. Sorry if I seem a bit bitter but what the hell am I paying a doctor for if I'm the one that has to figure out whats wrong with me. GRRRRR!!!! I'm a female, 23, and this has seriously affected my life. I have read that this stuff is connected with soborrheic dermatis, which I've had for many years. I kept telling my dermatoligists that this itches, oh its just because of dry skin, blah blah. In a few days I'm going back to another dermatoligist hopefully this one will actually help me. I'm trying to stay positive but after reading all these threads about how stubborn this stuff is, i have to say I'm a bit worried. Anyways, I'm going to try all the stuff everyone said. I read something about a sea salt bath but I couldn't find the recipe. Makes sense now that the only time my skin was good was when I was in a Australia and swimming in the ocean almost every day. Anyways I'm so glad I found this site, thanks to everyone who has posted their remedies.

MemberMember
(@rosiemarie)

Posted : 09/13/2006 8:54 pm

i think i may have this to--this is my major cause of bacne..i dont really get poppable stuff on my back, just these little bumps that have to be scratched away. nothing really treats it that i have seen...so i should try Nizoral? it sucks, coz over the summer and now i dont have anything to wear coz all my summer shirts reveal my little problem here :)🙂

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 09/16/2006 9:58 pm

i think i have this. my "bacne" arent really swollen bumps, they are more like died skin and little scabs. is this what you're talking about?

MemberMember
(@postfetalphase)

Posted : 09/17/2006 5:47 am

How can you tell the difference between the P. Folliculitus and body acne? I self-diagnosed P.F. 2 summers ago and have used ketaconazole off and on with mixed results. Went to a new derm and she seems to think it's acne. It doesn't look like pimples though, but she told me that body acne looks different than facial acne does. I'm so confused.

I have been using nizoral for my butt/legs with good results, so I'm assuming it's pityrosporum folliculitis because of the response, although I seem to remember reading that ketaconazole has oil-fighting benefits too so it might be that that is helping me.

If what I have is pityrosporum folliculitis, it's different from acne because the lesions (? bumps?) are smaller than in acne and more uniform, and they have kind of a hardened feel to them.

MemberMember
(@curiousz)

Posted : 09/17/2006 3:22 pm

I really would like to know whether it's worth it to take oral antifungals...

topical works, but with mixed results.