Notifications
Clear all

Teen with Chest acne is making me feel really depressed

MemberMember
(@vincent-ly)

Posted : 04/09/2019 4:04 pm

Hi there my names Vince and I™m looking for some help, I™m 16 and deal with some weird type of acne on my chest and it™s been bothering me a lot, I don™t know what the acne type is exactly is but it looks normal but turns dark or brown after I use benozyl peroxide. Any help ? Please

E6F05215-F0DF-445F-9344-A8C9BFF02172.jpeg

24C8DE8F-ECB4-4200-8204-9624C458CBE3.jpeg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/10/2019 12:04 am

Have you taken antibiotics recently ? If so, you probably have candida or malassezia, rather than acne, on your chest. Do you have a white tongue (indicative of candida) or dandruff (indicative of malasezzia) ?

MemberMember
(@vincent-ly)

Posted : 04/20/2019 9:24 pm

On 4/10/2019 at 1:04 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Have you taken antibiotics recently ? If so, you probably have candida or malassezia, rather than acne, on your chest. Do you have a white tongue (indicative of candida) or dandruff (indicative of malasezzia) ?

I have some dandruff, is that the reason why ? I use head and shoulders. Do u know any treatments????

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/20/2019 11:54 pm

Dandruff is caused by malasezzia fungus. Thus, malasezzia is most likely the cause of the "weird acne" (which is not acne) on your chest. Buy some topical cream with terbenafine in it - terbenafine cream is sold as Lamisil in many countries. Lamisil is sold to treat tinea, but lamisil will kill malasezzia, and applying lamisil should clear up the problem on your chest. You can also use a shampoo with climbazole (not to be confused with clotrimazole) in it.Climbazole kills malasezzia. Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns contains climbazole, it is VERY gentle, and is available in many countries. You can leave the Mustela Shampoo on your skin/in your hair overnight. It will not hurt your skin.

Benzoyl peroxide does not control malassezia, although it will stop secondary (bacterial) infection. I suggest you wash your checst with chlorhexadine wash (I can provide brand names when I know which country you are in) BEFORE applying the antifungals. Chlorhexadine wash has some small antifungal effect, but it is mainly applied to stop secondary bacterial (particularly staph) infection. Use a clean towel to dry your chest. Wash the towel often, or use disposable paper towels. Wash you hands before touching skin with malasezzia infection to prevent a secondary bacterial infection on the fungally infected skin.

You can dust your chest with corn (maize) flour after applying the antifungals, to keep your skin dry.

DO NOT APPLY ANY MOISTURISER or organic oils to your skin. Malasezzia FEEDS on the organic oils, including the organic oils in moisturisers.

Apply the Lamisil cream twice a day, and after you sweat. You can apply eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil to the spots with a cotton bud (q tip) if the spots are inflamed.

Which country do you live in ?

MemberMember
(@vincent-ly)

Posted : 04/21/2019 12:16 pm

12 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

Dandruff is caused by malasezzia fungus. Thus, malasezzia is most likely the cause of the "weird acne" (which is not acne) on your chest. Buy some topical cream with terbenafine in it - terbenafine cream is sold as Lamisil in many countries. Lamisil is sold to treat tinea, but lamisil will kill malasezzia, and applying lamisil should clear up the problem on your chest. You can also use a shampoo with climbazole (not to be confused with clotrimazole) in it.Climbazole kills malasezzia. Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns contains climbazole, it is VERY gentle, and is available in many countries. You can leave the Mustela Shampoo on your skin/in your hair overnight. It will not hurt your skin.

Benzoyl peroxide does not control malassezia, although it will stop secondary (bacterial) infection. I suggest you wash your checst with chlorhexadine wash (I can provide brand names when I know which country you are in) BEFORE applying the antifungals. Chlorhexadine wash has some small antifungal effect, but it is mainly applied to stop secondary bacterial (particularly staph) infection. Use a clean towel to dry your chest. Wash the towel often, or use disposable paper towels. Wash you hands before touching skin with malasezzia infection to prevent a secondary bacterial infection on the fungally infected skin.

You can dust your chest with corn (maize) flour after applying the antifungals, to keep your skin dry.

DO NOT APPLY ANY MOISTURISER or organic oils to your skin. Malasezzia FEEDS on the organic oils, including the organic oils in moisturisers.

Apply the Lamisil cream twice a day, and after you sweat. You can apply eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil to the spots with a cotton bud (q tip) if the spots are inflamed.

Which country do you live in ?

Canada

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/21/2019 10:13 pm

You can buy Hibiclens, which is chlorhexadine, in Canada - I assume it is OTC. Wash your chest (the affected area) in Hibiclens, before washing the affected area in the antifungal Mustela shampoo - see below. You can leave the Mustela shampoo on your body overnight - it will not cause skin irritation.

Dry the affected areas of your skin with a clean towel or with disposable paper towels. Do not touch the affected areas of your skin without twice washing your hands first. And NEVER touch your nose and touch your skin without twice washing your hands (or "washing" your hands twice with alcohol hand sanitiser). Most people carry staph bacteria in their nose and staph bacteria are very dangerous. They will attack damaged skin and cause a life threatening condition.

Lamisil cream is prescription only, in Canada, I believe.

Therefore, I suggest you start by applying clotrimazole cream, which is OTC in Canada https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/equate-clotrimazole-cream-usp-1-antifungal-cream/6000188866843 ; ttps://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Lotrimin-AF-Cream-Athletes-Foot-Clotrimazole-1-Antifungal-Treatment-Clinically-Proven-Effective-Antifungal-Treatment-AF-Jock-Itch-Ringworm-Cream-42-O/PRD73SVL3QMMWMF.

You can also buy Mustela Shampoo for Newborns in Canada OTC - https://www.caretobeauty.com/ca/mustela-baby-foam-shampoo-for-newborns-for-cradle-cap-150ml/ (cradle cap in babies is caused by malasezzia)

If the clotrimazole cream does not solve the problem, then either get a prescription for terbenafine cream OR import some terbenafine cream from the US (if you allowed to do this) - https://www.ebay.com/b/Lamisil-Health-Care-Creams/67588/bn_25368204 (you will have to find a supplier that ships to Canada, but not hard to do this).

You can apply eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil to the spots with a q tip (cotton bud) (after washing and before applying the antifungal) - will probably sting a bit.

Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a serious/life threatening bacterial infection.

NEVER use moisturiser on your skin. Malasezzia FEEDS on the organic oils in moisturiser.

MemberMember
(@vincent-ly)

Posted : 04/22/2019 5:55 pm

Wow thank you so much.

Do u know how I can fix the dark spots? Because before I put on benzoyl peroxide and it jus make the spots dark and flat.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/22/2019 6:55 pm

The dark spots will go away with time if you control the fungus. The reason that the spots went dark is because the benzoyl peroxide oxidised your tissue, including some blood. Don't worry about the dark spots - they will go away. Focus on applying the antifungals and using good hygiene procedures.