Notifications
Clear all

The Body Regimen

MemberMember
(@maringa)

Posted : 08/21/2005 7:46 pm

Just apply bp and moisturizer in the Regimen's way, than wait at least 30 min to put clothes on.

The key is to only put your clothes on after your back feels completely dry.

First have a try on cheap t shirts to see if they don't bleach. Then you'll be ready to wear your best colored shirts =] I've been rather successful this way in not bleaching my shirts.

MemberMember
(@juhi)

Posted : 09/20/2005 1:43 pm

the back acne regimen sounds promising...but whats the alternative to BP gel. I am asking 'coz i get a very bad reaction when ever i apply BP...in a couple of hours my face bloats up, gets red....like something bit me.....

i used proactive for 3 months for my face....i no longer have facial acne. I stopped using proactive a couple of months ago...but now its seems that i can no longer use BP.....even on a little spot on my body without my face getting messed up...HELP...any effective alternatives out there to BP?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/22/2005 5:23 am

the back acne regimen sounds promising...but whats the alternative to BP gel. I am asking 'coz i get a very bad reaction when ever i apply BP...in a couple of hours my face bloats up, gets red....like something bit me.....

i used proactive for 3 months for my face....i no longer have facial acne. I stopped using proactive a couple of months ago...but now its seems that i can no longer use BP.....even on a little spot on my body without my face getting messed up...HELP...any effective alternatives out there to BP?

MemberMember
(@juhi)

Posted : 10/17/2005 4:09 pm

Hey,

I'm doing the normal regime on my body now, im about 3 weeks into it and the restuls on my left side of the body are perfect.

though after reading through this, i ordered that 10 percent glycolic acid and this other similar BHA product which you read about here http://www.paulaschoice.com.au/shop/produc...C205&PAGETYPE=S

I should be able to put on the glycolic acid, wait for it to dry then add BP.

the same for the BHA.

If your body dont like BP, then maybe you can use other prodcuts like what im using minus the BP.

since the body can take a beating, you could use strong poducts and do a regime like:

-Wash body with Hibiclens in the morning

-Apply the BHA

-Wash body again with Hibliclens at night

-Apply 10 percent glycolic acid

You'd probably kill an equal amount of bacteria as the BP regime consdiering how strong the products are.

I'd give it a shot

thank Marino :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/24/2006 11:45 pm

wow, i forgot all about this.

Update: The bacne regime worked, i cant remember if it took 2 or 3 months, but both sides of my upper back, shoulders and chest are clear.

Anyway, im getting bad break outs in the areas of my back which i cant reach, im talking really big cysts and what not.

So far im using a loofah and getting my mum to apply it. Hope it works out.

MemberMember
(@heatherb)

Posted : 05/02/2006 10:50 pm

OK people I have very bad bacne and it is punctuated by the fact that I am african american and I have a huge problem with scarring because I am a nervouse picker. I know I know I need to control that before anything will get better. But this is the low-down on my back:

Mild to bad.. with tiny white heads to sometimes nodular ones

Bad pigmentation problems. I look like I have freckles on my back which makes me always cover up.

So this is my question:

Does the clear skin regimin work WELL for it, and would anyone recommend after active acne is gone going to get laser treatments for the dark spots.

I use the clear skin regimen for my face and it is working very well... but should I be doing anything else diiferent for my back?

Help

MemberMember
(@bacne-sucks)

Posted : 05/09/2006 11:58 am

I have had bacne on the sides of my back since I went to a massage therapist in January. After that, everything went downhill. I tried clearskin body washes, tea tree oil, witch hazel. Nothing worked! It is soo frustrating especially since summer is just around the corner.

Anyway, I've been doing the regimen for 3 days with no improvement just yet. I am going to be patient with this one. Haven't been using AHA but read today that I should. I'm not sure what it does. Does anyone know?

MemberMember
(@maggie925)

Posted : 06/20/2006 1:50 pm

I think the problem with this (otherwise, probably great) regimen for backne is that you HAVE to wear all WHITE. This is quite hard for people who are often wearing sports jerseys, uniforms, etc. etc. The BP I put on my face already slightly fades the collar of non-white shirts I wear and I don't even put it on my neck! It must just "run" a little.

I don't understand how people could wear all white shirts (they would really have to be ALL white) for years. And, if you had to throw another shirt on for some reason it isn't like you can wash away the BP - there will still be some left to bleach out whatever color you are wearing.

This is the only reason I haven't tried this regimen for my bacne. The regimen has worked WONDERS on my face (I am pretty much acne free now) but my back is still TERRIBLE.

So, I was wondering if there is another solution that is as potent and strong as the BP that doesn't bleach clothing. This would be perfect.

Any ideas?

i've never had a problem with bleaching. you just have to wait till your bp completely dries before you put on clothing. 15 min tops will do.

MemberMember
(@no-im-amy)

Posted : 06/20/2006 3:26 pm

Either that or where an undershirt. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

MemberMember
(@ness27)

Posted : 06/26/2006 6:06 pm

I might try this method myself just to see if it actually works. I think I'll do it for one week.

You can avoid color fading by wearing white underclothes such as a white t shirt or tank top. white underclothes are pretty standard and widely available.

edited to add: i dont have that much back acne (bacne) but i have tiny pimples that i can treat to see what happens.

Twilight, I would like to know how long did you use that regimen(w/ the baking soda)? Do you have sensitive skin? What type of effect did your skin have?

MemberMember
(@akc)

Posted : 09/03/2006 7:49 pm

Would this work if I only have chest acne? I've had a very stubborn chest pimple that is very hard to get rid of. I tried to apply bp lotion, but it just burned my neck.

MemberMember
(@annoyed_at_acne)

Posted : 09/23/2006 8:50 am

I do the Regime for my body acne, and I'm now clear!!!! I normally break out on my chest, entire back, shoulders, and upper arms(seriously like half my body). Also my face and neck but I've already gotten those clear. Anyway, so I definitly didn't have mild acne. However I noticed that the first time I started the Regime, it didn't seem to notice much results, I had too much active acne plus I wasn't moisturizing cause I was paranoid it would make me break out.

This time around, I started off just using a gentle non-creamy body wash(I like Aveeno Unscented and Jason's Aloe), and just Paula's 2% BHA Lotion, this helped clear up some of my acne. After awhile of doing this, I started using Dan's CSR gel too, and putting the BHA ontop of it(yes I know he recommends AHA, but this lotion works much better for my skin, less irritation). Then after a bit when my skin started getting into that irritated/dry/itchy phase of the regime, I stopped using the BHA and started using Cetaphil daily moisturizer. Now I just use that, and my skin is clear!! The reason I first used the BHA is cause in order to initially clear it, I needed more then just bp, but I didn't want to just start using both at once cause I figured that would be too irritating. Plus bp has a tendency to sometimes make red marks where it clears zits, so I wanted my skin to be as clear as possible before using. Anyway, it worked cause now I just have to use the bp and I'm all set :)

I also only do it at night, I tried during the day but it bleached a couple shirts. So I just wear a white tshirt to bed and I'm fine, it's completely sunken in by the next morning so it never stains my clothes for the next day. I would really recommend this regime to anyone wanting to clear their acne! But remember it takes a few months to see results, not like 2 days!!

MemberMember
(@frumpybumpy)

Posted : 11/05/2006 2:05 pm

IF BP is bleaching your shirts and pillowcases and showercurtains and your hair..... what is it doing to your face?

I found that my back and arm acne cleared up great when I stopped using using soap to wash my back (yes you read that right) and used just water only. I also stopped using shampoo with sodium lauryl sulfate in it.

YOU NEED A SLS free shampoo. SLS shampoo will leave a residue on your back, your arms and your buttocks and create acne there.

It's free. Please save your money and give it a try for a few months.

MemberMember
(@fluffysheep)

Posted : 01/19/2007 3:28 pm

IF BP is bleaching your shirts and pillowcases and showercurtains and your hair..... what is it doing to your face?

I found that my back and arm acne cleared up great when I stopped using using soap to wash my back (yes you read that right) and used just water only. I also stopped using shampoo with sodium lauryl sulfate in it.

YOU NEED A SLS free shampoo. SLS shampoo will leave a residue on your back, your arms and your buttocks and create acne there. It's free. Please save your money and give it a try for a few months.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 01/19/2007 4:00 pm

YOU NEED A SLS free shampoo. SLS shampoo will leave a residue on your back, your arms and your buttocks and create acne there. It's free. Please save your money and give it a try for a few months.

Hmmm...But - SLS is a common ingredient contained in other cleansers for your face, 2 of which are on Dan's list for the regimen: Purpose and Cetaphil.

I've used Purpose face wash for years on my face with great results.

Here are the ingredient listings for Purpose:

IngredientsWater , PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , PEG-150 Distearate , Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate , Fragrance , Quaternium-15 , Tetrasodium EDTA

And the ingredients for Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser - found the same thing - SLS is one of the main ingredients.

IngredientsWater , Cetyl Alcohol , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Stearyl Alcohol , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Butylparaben

Maybe it's something else in the shampoo that is causing the breakout, but it can't be the SLS.

MemberMember
(@fluffysheep)

Posted : 01/20/2007 12:03 pm

(Also, in Purpose, it's technically sodium laurETH sulfate, not SLS, and SLES is much less irritating than SLS.) Interestingly enough SLS is in the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser but not the Normal-to-Oily, which has SLES instead.
MemberMember
(@grippy)

Posted : 02/09/2007 12:08 pm

I stumbled upon the AHA thing when I randomly started using some Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cleanser (contains SA and AHA) on my back, just because I'd gotten a bottle for free and didn't want to use it on my face. I've been using Dan's regimen on my face for about 1 year with 95% success (I had moderate and constant acne for 15 years). But I drew the line at the bacne regimen - I just could not be bothered to slather BP all over it, even if only at night. I tried for awhile with a little success, but I am just that lazy/ stubborn - decided I'd rather have mild to moderate back acne than go through the hassle.

Anyway, SA never worked on my back before, but I figured ok I have this Neutrogena stuff, I'll try it there. Weird as it is, it's actually working - maybe the AHA is the key. Now I might try some of the recommended straight-up AHA, BHA, or glycolic products to see if I can step up the improvement a notch.

Point being that maybe a simple wash with the right stuff in the shower could be a good alternative ... anyone else have a similar experience? FYI I had pretty extensive bacne, scarring and all. It's been about 2 months and I've gotten very few new zits - it's mostly all old red marks now which I hope will fade with time.

Just a thought! Good luck all.

MemberMember
(@brenbotts13)

Posted : 02/22/2007 10:58 pm

use alpha hydrox aha enhanced lotion that is recomended by dan, and i use 10% bp instead of 2.5%. The 10% bp can be found in walmart, its like 99 cents for a small bottle (it last a while). What i do is put the alpha hydrox lotion on and wait for it to dry, then i put the 10% bp on. The next day i dont put the alpha hydrox lotion or bp, i just put moisterizer on. Put the alpha hydroxy lotion on every other day. In about 3 and a half week my bacne was gone.

MemberMember
(@mr-e)

Posted : 03/08/2007 6:38 pm

Noone sells alpha hydrox in stores from what I've seen. What are some good replacement products for this?

MemberMember
(@dermatologist76)

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:37 pm

I think the problem with this (otherwise, probably great) regimen for backne is that you HAVE to wear all WHITE. This is quite hard for people who are often wearing sports jerseys, uniforms, etc. etc. The BP I put on my face already slightly fades the collar of non-white shirts I wear and I don't even put it on my neck! It must just "run" a little.

I don't understand how people could wear all white shirts (they would really have to be ALL white) for years. And, if you had to throw another shirt on for some reason it isn't like you can wash away the BP - there will still be some left to bleach out whatever color you are wearing.

This is the only reason I haven't tried this regimen for my bacne. The regimen has worked WONDERS on my face (I am pretty much acne free now) but my back is still TERRIBLE.

So, I was wondering if there is another solution that is as potent and strong as the BP that doesn't bleach clothing. This would be perfect.

Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@waddle)

Posted : 05/03/2007 11:19 pm

If my skin doesnt dry after the regimen or its not that bad and I can deal with it do I have to moisturize.

I have moisturized in the past and it seems to make me break out more and have oilyer skin.

I am a complete noobie at this so if I am off base or you think what I am saying doesnt make sense or you've never heard of it please tell me. I am just looking for solid answers and have no pride.

MemberMember
(@4815162342)

Posted : 06/21/2007 8:51 am

http://www.acne.org/backacne.html

Please give it a try and post here how it works.

-Dan

MemberMember
(@4815162342)

Posted : 07/16/2007 2:18 pm

bump

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/30/2007 11:01 pm

After trying lots of products, lots of different lotions, I've finally found something that works for me. It helps not only with the breakouts, but also with the marks too! Here is what I do (I shower only at night):

My skin type:

My skin is combination skin, prone to some oily spots and some normal spots. I don't normally get dry spots unless I've overtreated something. On my back, my oilest spots are from the back of my shoulders down to about mid-shoulder blades, which also happens to be right where my hair stops. From there down it's pretty much normal skin.

My regimen:

Shower as normal, use whatever body wash you prefer. DON'T use it on your back where you intend to treat.

Use Neutrogena Body Clear Body wash on a large loofah mitt after thoroughly soaking the loofah in warm water to loosen it up a bit. Apply about the same amount you would if you were using it in your bare hands. (To soften it up, I didn't use it for the first few days after I bought it - I just wet it with warm water and scrunched and twisted it every which way to break it in so it's not overly harsh.) Now scrub from the top of your body downwards - shoulders and backs of upper arms, to mid-back, lower back. Use on the chest area afterwards if you have breakouts there. Rinse thoroughly, first in warm water, then cooler water.

Dry your body thoroughly, then apply a light dusting of baby powder or your favorite sport powder along the treatment areas and fully down the spine. Treat again with the powder in the morning before getting dressed if you'd like.

Repeat as needed. :-)

Note: Neutrogena Vanishing lotion can also be used on the body to additionally treat any acne marks.

I've found that the salicylic acid in the body wash, combined with the exfoliating action of the loofah, not only helps get rid of the dead skin cells that contribute to bacne breakouts, but then also helps to fade older acne marks. The powder applied after your shower helps to keep any oil under control and helps keep your clothes from irritating your skin from friction, and also helps keep you cool, too. Works for me... even works for my boyfriend! He admitted to secretly using my powder the other day.

MemberMember
(@metrogal)

Posted : 08/02/2007 6:47 am

Hey all,

I have suffered from body acne most of my adult life, I tried countless products. But finally I found a brand that uses natural sulfur as the active ingredient that was made by a dermatologist. I work out alot and in doing so I sweat alot. So I started using Joesoef Skin Care Anti-Acne Soap with sulfur. WOW this soap is amazing in days my skin began to clear of acne and black heads. After researching more I found that sulfur is natural and it is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which are the two leading causes of acne.

You can find Joesoef products online. I hope this helps someone because it has cleared my problems away.

Metrogal

After trying lots of products, lots of different lotions, I've finally found something that works for me. It helps not only with the breakouts, but also with the marks too! Here is what I do (I shower only at night):

My skin type:

My skin is combination skin, prone to some oily spots and some normal spots. I don't normally get dry spots unless I've overtreated something. On my back, my oilest spots are from the back of my shoulders down to about mid-shoulder blades, which also happens to be right where my hair stops. From there down it's pretty much normal skin.

My regimen:

Shower as normal, use whatever body wash you prefer. DON'T use it on your back where you intend to treat.

Use Neutrogena Body Clear Body wash on a large loofah mitt after thoroughly soaking the loofah in warm water to loosen it up a bit. Apply about the same amount you would if you were using it in your bare hands. (To soften it up, I didn't use it for the first few days after I bought it - I just wet it with warm water and scrunched and twisted it every which way to break it in so it's not overly harsh.) Now scrub from the top of your body downwards - shoulders and backs of upper arms, to mid-back, lower back. Use on the chest area afterwards if you have breakouts there. Rinse thoroughly, first in warm water, then cooler water.

Dry your body thoroughly, then apply a light dusting of baby powder or your favorite sport powder along the treatment areas and fully down the spine. Treat again with the powder in the morning before getting dressed if you'd like.

Repeat as needed. :-)

Note: Neutrogena Vanishing lotion can also be used on the body to additionally treat any acne marks.

I've found that the salicylic acid in the body wash, combined with the exfoliating action of the loofah, not only helps get rid of the dead skin cells that contribute to bacne breakouts, but then also helps to fade older acne marks. The powder applied after your shower helps to keep any oil under control and helps keep your clothes from irritating your skin from friction, and also helps keep you cool, too. Works for me... even works for my boyfriend! He admitted to secretly using my powder the other day.