Notifications
Clear all

Hydrocortisone

MemberMember
(@peteyboy)

Posted : 01/24/2008 10:08 am

Hey guys

Just an introduction. I had a bout of back acne problem a year or two ago but it went away without any treatment. Right now I don't have any except for a few scars left. I guess back acne don't really bother me that much because it is not visible all the time.

Anyway, just today I realised I had one big acne lesion on my back. It felt swollen and irritated. I was about to go to the gym and I didn't want to irritate the lesion further cos of the exercises I do lying down.

Out of desperation, or maybe just ignorance of other methods, I applied hydrocortisone to the lesion. I know it is an anti inflammatory, but i also know that applying it to acne is a no-no. I guess i was just out of options.

Anyway, just an hour later, the lesion went down by 80%. I was totally amazed. I guess it is useful for emergency uses.

Just wanted to let you guys know. Maybe you can enlighten me regarding this.

MemberMember
(@irin99)

Posted : 01/24/2008 3:49 pm

Hey guys

Just an introduction. I had a bout of back acne problem a year or two ago but it went away without any treatment. Right now I don't have any except for a few scars left. I guess back acne don't really bother me that much because it is not visible all the time.

Anyway, just today I realised I had one big acne lesion on my back. It felt swollen and irritated. I was about to go to the gym and I didn't want to irritate the lesion further cos of the exercises I do lying down.

Out of desperation, or maybe just ignorance of other methods, I applied hydrocortisone to the lesion. I know it is an anti inflammatory, but i also know that applying it to acne is a no-no. I guess i was just out of options.

Anyway, just an hour later, the lesion went down by 80%. I was totally amazed. I guess it is useful for emergency uses.

Just wanted to let you guys know. Maybe you can enlighten me regarding this.

MemberMember
(@helio)

Posted : 01/24/2008 7:41 pm

This is what I do to make pimples go away faster.

MemberMember
(@peteyboy)

Posted : 01/26/2008 9:37 am

Hey, does anyone know the reason why hydrocortisone cannot be used on acne? It says so specifically on the product, but it doesn't make sense because acne is characterized by inflammation and hydrocortisone is best at reducing inflammation. It worked really well on my back acne. Just two applications in two days and the acne became flat.

I searched the internet but I couldn't find any answers to this question...

Anyone here knows the reason? A pharmacist maybe?

MemberMember
(@helio)

Posted : 01/27/2008 2:37 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested yet.

I use hydrocortisone on cysts and find that it helps. People get cortisone shots to shrink cysts, so this helps too right?

It's not wise to use hydrocortisone. It can damage the skin and allow overgrowth of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Hydrocortisone is also systemically absorbed via the cutaneous route...not good. All meds have some cutaneous absorption, but you do not want to mess up your own cortisol levels through using hydrocortisone topically. It is ok every once in a while (once a month on a hideous cyst), but NOT daily use even in tiny dabs. Please do look up Google images for overuse of hydrocortisone. See also steroid induced rosacea on these boards and on Google search.

MemberMember
(@immunophilic)

Posted : 01/28/2008 1:14 am

I think this should be used sparingly as steroids have been known to thin the skin, making your skin more vulnerable to irritants to skin care products.

MemberMember
(@olive-u)

Posted : 10/18/2010 12:15 pm

Hydrocortisone is good for inflammation but it has a lot of negative side-effects (when used in a shot, idk about cream). For one, it's a steroid and it's mostly used for rashes (that's the point of the topical cream).

I've tried it, and yes, it works well, but the risk of having problems with it, make me want to stay away from it.

I've found the best way to deal with my acne was through a better diet (less fat, less carbohydrates) and periodical face mask made from oatmeal.

It's better to use the more nattural solutions than something as aggressive as hydrocortisone

MemberMember
(@derek-2)

Posted : 10/18/2010 3:27 pm

I don't recommend using hydrocortisone... I sometimes use it for like 20 mins before school if I have an irritated pimple or something, it makes it look less red, and then I wash it off. But I tried applying it over night to a cyst the other day and when I woke up, the cyst was blood red colour and more painful than before. Definitely sucks.

MemberMember
(@rumah)

Posted : 01/25/2012 5:27 am

how do u use it... method and quantity plz

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 06/30/2013 1:17 pm

yes, how can it be used? dabbing on the area? massaging in? i need help for a popped cyst!

MemberMember
(@ansia)

Posted : 07/01/2013 9:12 pm

Hydrocortise can help to soothe and heal your skin.

I love it and use it in times of emergency or when I'm travelling.

BUT, hydrocortisone is an antibiotic. If you use it too much or inapporpriately it will lose its effect.

SO if you do want to use hydrocortisone, use it three times a day for three days, then two times a day for three days, one time a day for three days and then from then on use it every second day or whenever you may need it.

For example, I used it for my eczema on my arms and my neck.

I had an allergic reaction to Epiduo last week, and the only thing that soothed my skin was hydrocortisone. So I used it three times a day for three days etc.

Now the skin on my face is back to normal and I don't use it anymore.

Moral: DO NOT use hydrocrtisone more than necesssary!