Notifications
Clear all

Acne treatment confusion?

MemberMember
(@sadamy)

Posted : 09/13/2017 4:24 am

I'm taking antibiotics for my acne. I never had acne untill 5 months ago and it's just not going away. My doctor has given me doxylin and BP. I was thinking if i take the antibiotics for sometime and get clear skin and then do accutane on a fairly clear skin for a month or so will I be clear? I have mild acne. One huge zit and 3-4 raised bumps. PLEASE HELP ME. THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE. Can these antibiotics put an end or I might need accutane?

MemberMember
(@honeyginseng)

Posted : 09/16/2017 6:27 pm

Typically doctors won't prescribe Accutane unless no other method works for your acne, since Accutane is such a dangerous drug with many side effects. And it's for people with severe acne.

I actually did two rounds of Accutane, and while I was on the medication and for three months after it ended, it cleared my skin......but then the acne came  back again. This was after trying a TON of topicals and medications, like antibiotics, birth control, steroids, etc. Antibiotics and accutane might work for some people but not others.

I truly believe that prescription medications don't solve the root cause of anything- whether it be acne or some other issue. Plus, antibiotics kill all type of bacteria, even the good bacteria that our gut needs to be able to function.  These pills (like birth control) might also be the cause of imbalanced hormones - that will lead to acne. 

For me, a routine of taking different supplements every day, having a good diet, and a good skincare routine has done far more in treating my acne than any prescription medications ever have. Good luck! :)