Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl peroxide v. Salicylic acid

MemberMember
(@blessjhope)

Posted : 03/23/2017 1:32 am

Today I purchased both bp 5% and sa 2%. I remember hearing that they work well together and help get rid of acne and pimples faster if used together with proper moisturizing of course. I just wanted to know if anyone else found this to work as well or if it's better to alternate or use them separately. Also if they help with scars in anyway(like preventing them from growing a new pimple or fading them away). Thanks in advance! :D

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 04/13/2017 7:22 am

It really depends on the person! Some people have had success using both while others might find it to be too much. If you are going to use both, however, I wouldn't use them both as a spot treatment. I would recommend getting one spot treatment with BP or SA and then like a face wash or moisturizer containing the other.

They each combat acne in a different way:

• BP is a more targeted acne medication - it directly targets the bacteria associated with acne. Therefore it's a popular spot treatment.
  • SA on the other hand, is a type of chemical exfoliant. It helps to speed up cell turnover and unclog pores. It can be especially helpful for those struggling with a lot of clogged pores, blackheads, oily skin, etc. That is why it is such a popular ingredient in cleansers, toners and moisturizers targeted towards acne.

A big mistake people making when just starting to treat their acne is doing too much at once, resulting in skin dryness/irritation which can just make things worse. I think the best thing for anyone to do is to start off slowly with one product and see how your skin does with that first. Then, you can try adding in something else. Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@enacopations)

Posted : 04/26/2017 4:16 pm

I broke out horribly in my entire face, after combining those two i cleared my face in just five days. The redness was crazy but you live

I broke out horribly in my entire face, after combining those two i cleared my face in just five days. The redness was crazy but you live

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 04/26/2017 7:03 pm

Personally, I used a SA face wash and Dan's BP for a while, and it worked well. However, I felt that my face became way too dependent on the products and if I skipping a cleansing during my regimen, you could expect a breakout. Otherwise, it worked well when you moisturize!