Notifications
Clear all

Can I exfoliate while using BP and a Retina A and how often

MemberMember
(@dearemily)

Posted : 05/10/2016 2:55 pm

Hi,

I have been using a Tretinoin gel 1% ( same thing as Retina-A just cheaper) at night and BP during the day. The Tretinoin gel has made my skin texture so much better and the BP has helped with the amount of acne I have. I make sure I moisturize and use a mild face wash so I don't irritate my skin. Should I be exfoliating while using both of these products?I'm worried that exfoliating will irritate my skin and cause me to break out more while using these strong products. I feel like I need to sometimes though because of the flakey-ness and to help the dead skin shed from using Tretinoin.

My skin feels very flakey at times and I still break out in certain areas. Will exfoliating make this worse or help?

If I exfoliate, what method would you suggest and how often?

PLEASE HELP. Thanks

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 05/10/2016 5:02 pm

Agreed with CP...better to wait till you're clear of acne before introducing anything physically exfoliating. Instead, consider using a chemical exfoliator like 10% glycolic acid a few times per week. Dan's AHA+ is the bomb! Great for fading PIH and also helps with flakes. Much gentler on acne-prone skin, and safe to use after 4 weeks of BP usage. FYI, My son has been using tretinoin and BP for several months now and his skin hardly ever gets flaky anymore. So give it time, the flakes do naturally subside for the majority of people.