Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide forms a white layer on skin

MemberMember
(@anoobis)

Posted : 12/09/2015 12:09 pm

Hi, I have been applying OXY 10 BP lotion on my face twice daily for over the past month, as part of my adult acne treatment. The problem is, the BP when rubbed on to the skin of my face, just stays there and dries to become a visibly white paint like substance on my dark-skinned face. If I leave it on my face longer, it was become powdery and simply flake off when touched or rubbed.

This appears to me as if my skin has formed a barrier of sorts, that is blocking the BP from actually absorbing into the skin and treat my acne. Most of it are simply just forming a thin crust on my skin, and flaking off without actually entering my skin. It is indeed not absorbing into my skin, then it is really wasteful financially as well, because even a small tube of BP cost a few bucks where I live.

Is this a reasonable assessment, or am I not correctly interpreting the symptoms or am I just applying it wrong? Pictures can be provided upon request. Thank you guys.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 12/10/2015 7:21 am

That's super strange. I would say it's either a flawed batch or anything under the bp (eg your moisturizer) has some component that is reactingwith it. I'm not familiar with that brand so maybe if it's none of the above issues it's just how it acts on the skin (sorta like how calamine lotion behaves) but then that would be some lame as bp.

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 12/10/2015 5:35 pm

I know that peroxide will turn the surface of skin white after a relatively short period of contact. Perhaps your BP lotion (which is also an oxidiser) is doing the same thing, in which case the lotion is doing its job and this is just a side effect of using BP for you.

MemberMember
(@anoobis)

Posted : 12/12/2015 6:01 am

I bought my BP from a reputable pharmacy so I believe it is unlikely to be bad batch. I just think my skin may not be compatible with this particular type of BP, seeing it is a lotion not a gel. 

Here is a closeup of my skin after 10 minutes since BP applied to it. I could just easily scrape them off by rubbing my fingers with medium intensity over my skin, which I think should not be the case if it is absorbing into my skin, right?

IMG_20151212_185541.jpg

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 12/12/2015 6:34 am

I'm honestly so freaking confused! I've used so many brands of bp over my acne-life and that's never happened.

Upon research bp in its pure undiluted form is a white powder so maybe it's just drying to that consistency.

Even when you wash your face with a cleanser it would take some very forceful scrubbing to remove all traces/particlesof the cleanser from your skin, so while yes it's function on the skin may be lessened by the way it's behaving it is working to some degree.

Obviously you may want to use it during the day to spot treat (?) so if you think it's not a bad batch and it appears its not reacting with anything else on your skin you can just use it up then buy a gel/different brand.

Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@anoobis)

Posted : 12/12/2015 9:47 am

3 hours ago, AppleySauce said:

skin

3 hours ago, AppleySauce said:

skin

On second thought, the BP I am using could possibly be part of a bad batch, first due to it forming this white layer on my skin. But second and think more importantly, I have been religiously applying it 2 times daily for the past month, after gently cleansing my face with a acne cleanser and using fresh towels each time, and I have yet to see ANY change on my skin. I absolutely cannot see even a minute improvement or worsening from my routine, which I find rather disheartening considering the time and money I spent on it.

There was a pimple which started to form deep in my skin I think a week or so before my routine, and throughout my routine, it has come to the surface, formed a yellowish head, turned back to a red lump, and is still only mildly going away as of now. I think this would have happened regardless of my routine!!

MemberMember
(@anoobis)

Posted : 12/12/2015 11:35 pm

7 hours ago, Control Panel said:

I don't think it's a bad batch. It's probably just that the product formulation is bad and doesn't contain a good set of ingredients which delivers the medication into the pore well.

Have you tried either Neutrogena's On-the-Spot® Acne Treatment or Acne.org's Treatment?

I haven't due to limited market availability of any products containing Benzoyl Peroxide. "Oxy Maximum Strength" by Mentholatum is the only product I was able to purchase here. 

The formulation could very well be the issue here, though I did research on it a bit and found the reviews on the product rather favorable. It contains some preservatives with paraben which may cause some problems I think.

I have attached  a picture of the ingredients, and also the pimple I mentioned before. It has been there for over a month, without being affected by my cleansing routine. The dark spot below that is a mark left by another pimple that was there, also for a month I think. I made sure not to excessively touch the spots or pick on it etc.ingredients.thumb.jpg.fed6c3019c6bbacca5acne.thumb.jpg.39abae13ae1f3952b6412d7d8 

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 12/13/2015 3:20 pm

Now I see your picture I think Appleysauce is right....that formulation has dried out and left ingredient residues on your skin. The manufacturer would probably appreciate you sharing that with them as I doubt they would intend for the formulation to behave that way.