Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide - Please help!

MemberMember
(@shelly3232)

Posted : 11/21/2015 11:01 am

I tried to use Clean&Clear's Benzoyl Peroxide (found out later it was way too harsh - 10%) to spot treat two really stubborn cysts on my face. However, after I washed it off, I noticed my skin was red, rough and raised! A small scab formed, and fell off the next day. The skin under is still extremely red and raised. It is now itchy as well. At first I thought it was a burn, but now it's just really itchy and red (the skin is also raised, as seen in images)

It has been a few days (four), and it is still like this. Has anyone experienced this?

I normally don't break out, so having these two humongous red blotches on my face really killed my confidence. 

I went to a doctor, but she brushed it off, and told me to just put bio-oil or moisturizer on it without really even bothering to ask questions about how I got it or what not. And unfortunately, I can't go see a dermatologist unless my doctor refers me to one.

Has anyone experienced this, or have an idea as to what this is and how I should treat it (moisturize, etc)? Also, does anyone know how long it will take for my skin to heal, or if this is permanent? I've become really discouraged since this happened. Any replies or information would be much appreciated!

461075765.jpg

1967669560.jpg

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 11/25/2015 8:54 pm

That does look like a reaction to the bp...achemical burn if you will...it should heal up on its own given a little time so just keep it clean. The redness and itchiness is pretty normal like any abrasion that scabs over and takes time to fully heal. You shouldn't need to put anything on it unless it starts to look like there is danger of a secondary infection.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 12/03/2015 3:41 pm

The word peroxide correlates to it's oxidative nature. The body loves oxygen especially since the majority of our healthy bacteria are aerobic in function. The catch though is that you can have too much of anything just like the element O. The result is oxidative damage.

MemberMember
(@jspencer)

Posted : 12/10/2015 12:06 am

Get some pure aloe vera gel or diluted tea tree oil to put under bp...in my science experiments it calms the harsh side effects of bp

oyinkan98 liked