Notifications
Clear all

L-Lysine And Vitamin C Causing Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/06/2015 10:08 pm

I started taking these supplements a couple of weeks back. I should have tracked the breakouts a bit better, but I don't get spots on my forehead really but there have definitely been a few come out in the past couple of weeks. I've definitely been breaking out bad on my chin as usual. Maybe worse.

Should I stop taking these?

Or it could be an initial breakout phase or the supplements could take some months to work...

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/07/2015 5:32 am

I definitely wouldn't stop taking them. It is most likely a coincidence for the acne to proliferate within the same time frame as the initial administration of the supplements. I would wait around til week 6 or 8 after the vitamin/amino acid has had time to do some work before considering other avenues.

MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/07/2015 10:23 am

I definitely wouldn't stop taking them. It is most likely a coincidence for the acne to proliferate within the same time frame as the initial administration of the supplements. I would wait around til week 6 or 8 after the vitamin/amino acid has had time to do some work before considering other avenues.

Thanks!

Do you take any supplements?

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/07/2015 11:18 am

Ehhh I'll go over some of my supplements I use, but remember that my ideology surrounding my personal micronutritonal supplements stems from the fact that I am a highly physical individual who frequently utilizes compounds associated with the practice of "performance enhancement."

B-Complex solution via I.M (intramuscular injection) 1ml/ED I'll get specific dosage if requested.

Hydroxocobalamin via I.M (cynocobalamin also works, but a hydroxy group is biologically active unlike a cyanide group) 5000mcg/once a week

ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 500mg ED

Bioflavonoid (Vitamin P) 500mg ED

Retinoid (Vitamin A) 5000 IU ED

tocopherol (Vitamin E) 250 IU ED

phylloquinone (Vitamin K1) 250mcg ED

chromium 200mcg ED

boron 10mg ED

Zinc 50mg ED

Copper 1.5mg ED

iron 25mg ED

BCAA (32 ratio leucine/iso-leucine/valine)

AAKG (arginine alphaketoglutarate)

Chlorella blue-green algae (broken cell)

L-Tryptophan (for sleep)

L-Citrulline (Arginine's best friend)

L-theanine (anxiety)

L-glutamine

^^^^^^^^

Alll the essential/non-essential amino acids are taken on multiple occasions throughout the day depending upon what I have planned.

That about sums up everything I can honestly think of off the top of my head that I use at least once a week. I get all of my compounds in crystallized form unless there is an injectable form then I take the route of I.M/Sub-q. I personally make my own mixtures (powder scale and a lot of basic math) to have predetermined dosages of multiple compounds in one scoop. Makes life easier....

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/08/2015 6:47 pm

I've been supplementing with L-Lysine for years and have only found it to work wonders for skin integrity. Vitamin C as well (in addition to its multitude of other benefits). I would have a hard time believing that either of these two supplements on their own would contribute to a breakout. Personally, I do not subscribe to the "initial breakout phase" theory--especially if you start off slow with a supplement and titrate up accordingly.

What is your diet like (i.e. do you consume things like cow's dairy? Refined sugar and/or flour)?. How are your hormone levels? What is your gut health like? What's your liver health like? Do you have any other co-morbidities like headaches, rashes, mood issues, insomnia, digestive problems, etc? Do you use any other supplements or medications?

All of these things have to be taken into consideration when determining the root cause of acne (especially when its patterns are changing).

MemberMember
(@essex11)

Posted : 09/22/2015 10:39 am

I've been supplementing with L-Lysine for years and have only found it to work wonders for skin integrity. Vitamin C as well (in addition to its multitude of other benefits). I would have a hard time believing that either of these two supplements on their own would contribute to a breakout. Personally, I do not subscribe to the "initial breakout phase" theory--especially if you start off slow with a supplement and titrate up accordingly.

What is your diet like (i.e. do you consume things like cow's dairy? Refined sugar and/or flour)?. How are your hormone levels? What is your gut health like? What's your liver health like? Do you have any other co-morbidities like headaches, rashes, mood issues, insomnia, digestive problems, etc? Do you use any other supplements or medications?

All of these things have to be taken into consideration when determining the root cause of acne (especially when its patterns are changing).

I would have no idea how to test these things... Gut health, liver health and the rest. In terms of diet, I don't want to do such a restricted diet. I eat healthy, I'm not going to start cutting out things just because I don't want acne to rule my life that much