Notifications
Clear all

Can People Recommend A Salicylic Acid "treatment"?

MemberMember
(@pandajohn)

Posted : 02/05/2014 6:54 pm

I've noticed over the years that salicylic acid just works better with my skin. I gave the normal regimen plus a try for 2 months and the fact that it's still getting worse makes me want to change out the benzoyl peroxide for slaicylic acid... Don't give me a lecture of "Oh it always gets worse before it gets better." Ya your right it does but it never takes more than a month for me personally. So don't be all like "Just stick with it!" No shut up. Numerous studies have shown that salicylic acid works just as good and sometimes better than benzoyl peroxide. Not to mention that benzoyl peroxide bleaches and salicylic acid does not. I've recked at least 10 f'ing shirts... What it comes down to is personal preference.

So can anyone recommend a salicylic acid "treatment" that's either in a gel or lotion form. (Preferably 2% salicylic acid and in a bigger bottle so I don't have to buy hundreds of tiny "spot treatment" like bottles.) I want it in gel or lotion form because the ideas behind the regimen are good, in the way that you never wash anything off besides the cleanser, it's just I don't like the benzoyl peroxide.

So can you recommend some salicylic acid "treatments" please.

P.S. I plan on going on accutane once my mom gets her new insurance info :) so this is only temporary.

MemberMember
(@pandajohn)

Posted : 02/07/2014 3:20 pm

ANYONE?!?

MemberMember
(@nimblevesicle)

Posted : 02/07/2014 4:35 pm

I'm not really aware of any salicylic acid "treatments."

From the research that I've done, SA is best applied in a moisturizer in combination with 2.5% BP and left on overnight.

I would personally recommend the neutrogena oil free acne stress control 3 in 1 hydrating acne cream treatment. I use it in combination with the acne.org regimen. Every other night I alternative between SA and glycolic acid (AHA) and have been getting great results in terms of fading old scars/red marks.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@marthaqueenbee)

Posted : 02/07/2014 4:55 pm

I would choose benzol over sacylic all day...

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 02/08/2014 5:35 am

I was on BP treatment for a looong time, for over 20years.. Now I am happy with the 2% BHA extra strenght clear liquid by paulas choice. I use this in the evening, for daytime i use the 2% BHA gel, no other moisturizer required in my case.

I recently added retinol ( green cream) to the routine and it works beautiful! But to be honest, the Spiro had already cleared me from my deep cysts

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@thisuser)

Posted : 02/08/2014 11:07 am

Stick with BP. You need to give the Regimen 4 months to completely clear you up. Just about everyone who does the regimen for that long will clear up. It was the magic time period for me too.

I think Salicylic acid is kind of weak. I'd never give up BP for it.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:03 pm

Too many people give up on salicylic acid because they don't use good products. For starters, all store bought products containing SA, be it cleansers, creams, moisturizers or gels, are garbage. They will not work, for a start the PH is wrong making the product useless. You really need to buy the ingredients, some basic lab equipment and make up your own. It's cheap and you will know exactly what your putting on your skin is of the correct PH

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:06 pm

Too many people give up on salicylic acid because they don't use good products. For starters, all store bought products containing SA, be it cleansers, creams, moisturizers or gels, are garbage. They will not work, for a start the PH is wrong making the product useless. You really need to buy the ingredients, some basic lab equipment and make up your own. It's cheap and you will know exactly what your putting on your skin is of the correct PH

Not quite true. It's a little difficult getting the pH and pKa right, let alone dispersing the salicylic acid properly. Preserving is another issue.

Leave-on lotions are the most effective.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:28 pm

Not quite true. It's a little difficult getting the pH and pKa right, let alone dispersing the salicylic acid properly. Preserving is another issue.

Leave-on lotions are the most effective.

Leave-on Salicylic Acid lotions are ineffective. Salicylic Acid is self-neutralizing and is ineffective after about 10 minutes on the skin. Leaving a lotion on your skin is just going to block pores. The whole idea is to to unclog pores quickly then finish with a quick rinse of water.

SA peels can be made effortlessly with basic chemistry knowledge. It's best to make regular small batches however to avoid having the preserving issue.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/06/2014 3:37 pm

I second the Paula's Choice BHA products. Exfoliation is very important in general for acne prone skin, a gentle chemical is a great way to work into your daily. I personally use DDF Glycolic toner after I wash, it helps remove extra dead skin, etc and actually is hydrating not drying. Then I use Paula's Choice 2% bha gel, let it sit for about 15-30 minutes, depending on how impatient I am. I spot treat with BP and then moisturize 10 min after. Really helping with PIH, tone and exfoliate congestion. That's my problem at this point, closed comedones and clogged pores. A curse, but better than the inflammed I was getting. A good exfoliation system can really help keep deeper stuff for me from happening.

MemberMember
(@acanderson826)

Posted : 03/08/2014 6:31 pm

Another vote for Paula's Choice. They have a whole slew of BHA (salicylic) products. Toners/fluids, lotion, and a gel that all come in 2%. There's also a weekly 4% BHA foam, and a 9% BHA serum. I haven't tried the 4% foam, but the 9% serum helps me a lot, and it doesn't cause my crazy-sensitive skin any irritation.

The Neutrogena hydrating 3-in-1 lotion has been discontinued; too bad, because that was great stuff. They still make the Rapid Clear lotion, which contains 2%. That and the Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Treatment (2%) are what I use if I run out of Paula's Choice and my new batch is still in the mail.

I'm in that salicylic over BP boat with you. BP just causes me more issues than it solves...my skin isn't a fan of it.

MemberMember
(@unreality)

Posted : 03/08/2014 9:30 pm

Another Salicylic Acid option is Stridex Maximum strength pads. They're at the right pH to be effective. Just swipe them on a clean face, wait for it to dry, and moisturize. They do have menthol which may irritate some so PATCH TEST before using!