Notifications
Clear all

Weaning Off Proactiv

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 09/03/2013 6:23 pm

Hey guys! I have been on Proactiv since my early teens (I'm now 24) so it has been quite a while... I stopped using Proactiv briefly last summer because I found that I wasn't getting the results I used to from it, and especially during the winter, it SEVERELY dries out my skin - its almost intolerable. As you can probably guess, I broke out TERRIBLY. I was super depressed and went back to it, but it took months to get back to where I was before I quit, which even then wasn't great. Now, I have persistent whiteheads on my cheeks and around my nose, as well as mild acne on my jawline and occasionally near my mouth. My acne is what I would consider mild for the most part, but constant... and I suspect that the harsh chemicals in proactiv might have something to do with it.

I want to work towards quitting Proactiv and using a gentler, more natural skin system, since proactiv isn't really doing its job anyways. However, I know now that if I want to do that I need to wean myself off it. So I am looking here for some tips on how I might go about that. What skin line might you suggest I start incorporating into my regimen? In what increments should I decrease my proactiv use? Any tips would be greatly appreciated xoxo

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/03/2013 11:22 pm

I used proactive years ago, and it only made my skin red and irritated and bleached my towels. You have to wean off it slowly so that your skin doesn't freak out again. Do that over the course of a few weeks, then use it once every 2 days, once every 3, and so on until you fully stop. When you get down to a very small amount, use it only once a day, then use a gentle cleanser for your second face wash of the day (if you wash your face twice). The key is to find a cleanser that balances your skin's PH to prevent breakouts. Any cleanser that doesn't have sulfates or harsh chemicals and says "balancing" or "restoring" will be helpful. I personally use mineral fusion products (scrub and toner) and image cosmetic's ormedic balancing cleanser.

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 09/05/2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try the boscia clear complexion cleanser and tonic as a mix-in and eventual replacement for the proactive cleanser and toner. I'm hoping that by eventually stopping use of those two steps I can cut down on my dryness and irritation. Then I can wean myself off the treatment lotion really slowly hopefully

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 9:44 pm

I've used the boscia cleanser before and I liked it! The botanical toner dried me out a bit, so I tried their pink toner which is for normal skin and that worked better. I used the cleanser for 2 years, but my skin stopped benefitting from it eventually so I switched to image products. But boscia is a really good skincare line - I like their eye creams too.

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 09/09/2013 8:53 pm

When you came off proactiv did you wean yourself off slowly...if so what was your experience? Did you break out pretty bad anyways? If so was it all at once or did everything just surface a bit at a time? Just wondering what I should expect as I start this process.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/14/2013 6:20 pm

If you're going to come off a treatment that is working, even partially, then you need to replace it with something else. Or else you're just going to break out.

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 10/07/2013 9:24 am

If you're going to come off a treatment that is working, even partially, then you need to replace it with something else. Or else you're just going to break out.

Yup definitely. I have been phasing out the cleanser for several weeks now, although I suspect I could drop it today and not see much of a difference. I dropped the toner cold turkey. I'm using the boscia clear complexion cleanser and tonic and then the proactiv treatment lotion. Once I phase the cleanser out completely, I will start to slowly phase out the treatment lotion. I plan on getting the boscia clear complexion treatment and introducing that as I begin to wean off the lotion...definitely going to take my time with that process though because I'm sure thats where the real risk of breakouts is.

As far as my acne now, I have only slightly more pimples than I did when on the full proactiv system, but with all the changes I'm introducing I'm not surprised, and its really quite easy to keep under control. I've also adjusted my diet a lot to help my skin along the way.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that even though I still have pimples, my skin is glowing. When I was on the full proactiv system it had a deadness to it.

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 10/13/2013 2:53 am

You do not need to 'wean' yourself off Proactiv. Proactiv is just 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, a random face wash and a random alcohol toner. You will not suffer any withdrawal effects from discontinuation. And 2.5% BP will not help anybody except those with the mildest of acne. Get a real medication.

Plus you are getting jipped. You are paying a huge amount for something that you can get in your local drug store for far, far cheaper. You don't even need a face wash or an alcohol toner... soap and water will do fine. You can pick up 2.5% BP for like 5 bucks.

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 10/14/2013 10:36 am

You do not need to 'wean' yourself off Proactiv. Proactiv is just 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, a random face wash and a random alcohol toner. You will not suffer any withdrawal effects from discontinuation. And 2.5% BP will not help anybody except those with the mildest of acne. Get a real medication.

Plus you are getting jipped. You are paying a huge amount for something that you can get in your local drug store for far, far cheaper. You don't even need a face wash or an alcohol toner... soap and water will do fine. You can pick up 2.5% BP for like 5 bucks.

I see your point, but I know that I have to wean off the proactiv lotion because last summer I tried dropping it cold turkey and broke out like crazy. I know its a ripoff, which is why i'm switching systems.

MemberMember
(@solaire)

Posted : 10/15/2013 6:35 pm

I used proactiv for over a year and I switched to a whole new routine/products in one day. My face broke out like crazy for the next month but I expected that. It was worth it too even though I am still dealing with mild acne but my skin isn't dry, flakey, red, or dead looking like OP stated. My skin is looking a lot healthier. Screw Proactiv... It can go to hell.

Anyways... Good luck on getting clear skin!

MemberMember
(@tdanielle)

Posted : 10/16/2013 11:49 pm

I used proactiv for over a year and I switched to a whole new routine/products in one day. My face broke out like crazy for the next month but I expected that. It was worth it too even though I am still dealing with mild acne but my skin isn't dry, flakey, red, or dead looking like OP stated. My skin is looking a lot healthier. Screw Proactiv... It can go to hell.

Good to know others came out of it alright! Out of curiosity, which system did you switch to when you quit proactiv?

MemberMember
(@solaire)

Posted : 10/17/2013 6:39 pm

Good to know others came out of it alright! Out of curiosity, which system did you switch to when you quit proactiv?

I am now using Lush products. Highly recommend checking them out.

Cleansers:

Dark Angels - morning

Herbalism - night

Toner:

Tea Tree water

Moisturizer:

Vanishing Cream

Skin Drink - only when my skin is feeling dry.

Spot Treatment:

Grease Lightning - I use this a few times a week but instead of just using it for spot treatment I apply a thin layer all over my face.

I also use their Dirty Shaving Cream.

MemberMember
(@kenn23)

Posted : 04/23/2014 6:46 pm

I am now using Lush products. Highly recommend checking them out.

Cleansers:

Dark Angels - morning

Herbalism - night

Toner:

Tea Tree water

Moisturizer:

Vanishing Cream

Skin Drink - only when my skin is feeling dry.

Spot Treatment:

Grease Lightning - I use this a few times a week but instead of just using it for spot treatment I apply a thin layer all over my face.

I also use their Dirty Shaving Cream.

Did you breakout when you first started using Lush products? How did you wein your way into using them? and also, I have a clarisonic would you recommend using that along with the lush products?

MemberMember
(@tikayayyy)

Posted : 04/18/2023 12:06 am

I have been on proactiv since I was about 20, so 17 years ago. I tried to go off it multiple times, but had the same results as you. I ended up with horrible breakouts and totally depressed. Finally my doctor prescribed a retinol cream, which is about $30 with my prescription. The first time I tried the cream it made me break out, but then I read online that this is normal and you need to start using it slowly. I basically went off proactiv cold turkey and used a pea sized dollop of retinol with cetaphil face lotion every 3 days, then after 2 months went to every other day. My skin has never looked better and I can use any normal face cleanser now (I use cetaphil hydrating foaming cleanser). I feel free and wish I did this sooner.