Notifications
Clear all

A Question About African Black Soap

MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:04 pm

Is African Black Soap safe/gentle enough to use on my face during the Glycolic Acid peel/TCA Peel peeling process? I read good things about it. I'm debating on whether I should purchase African Black Soap or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:59 pm

Purpose is full of chemicals. I believe it has sodium laureth sulfate, once of the worst things you can put on your skin. I love african black soap. Not sure if it will be too much during those chemicals peels, but if you do decide to order it, make sure you order it in its raw/block/natural form. It should have nothing added. Its just 3 ingredients: Cocoa pod ashes, plantain skins ashes, and palm oil, processed together. There are a lot of other forms out there such as liquid forms that have added ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera, etc etc. I was using one that had rosehip oil added, along with coconut oil, vitamin e, aloe vera, shea butter, and some other natural stuff, but the raw block natural form is much better.

CrenlyCon liked
MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 10/02/2012 4:25 pm

Purpose is full of chemicals. I believe it has sodium laureth sulfate, once of the worst things you can put on your skin. I love african black soap. Not sure if it will be too much during those chemicals peels, but if you do decide to order it, make sure you order it in its raw/block/natural form. It should have nothing added. Its just 3 ingredients: Cocoa pod ashes, plantain skins ashes, and palm oil, processed together. There are a lot of other forms out there such as liquid forms that have added ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera, etc etc. I was using one that had rosehip oil added, along with coconut oil, vitamin e, aloe vera, shea butter, and some other natural stuff, but the raw block natural form is much better.

Thank you.

I was leaning towards Purpose until you mentioned it has sodium laureth sulfate. I've been told using African Black Soap with my peels should be fine, but I'm a little hesitant.

Where do you order your African Black Soap in raw/block/natural form?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/02/2012 5:14 pm

This is the exact product im using.

http://blackonyxworld.com/home/amazing-black-black-soap-6oz.html

Theres also this one. Lots of reviews for you to read. I read a lot of people like this one as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-African-Black-Soap-Ghana/dp/B003PFBCTU

MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 10/02/2012 6:53 pm

This is the exact product im using.

http://blackonyxworl...k-soap-6oz.html

Theres also this one. Lots of reviews for you to read. I read a lot of people like this one as well.

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/B003PFBCTU

I'm curious, how long does the 6oz African Black Soap last? I'm thinking about purchasing the African Black Soap in the second link because you get a pound worth for just an extra few dollars, but I've read a couple bad reviews about the seller "HalaEveryDay".

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:00 pm

It lasts a while. I would say probably 2-3 months (estimated guess) Its $6 for a 2-3 month supply. I dont know ANY cleanser that is that cheap and is actually good for your skin. Do some more searching on amazon or ebay if you want a better deal. Just make sure it only has those 3 ingredients, and is in the raw block form.

MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:28 pm

It lasts a while. I would say probably 2-3 months (estimated guess) Its $6 for a 2-3 month supply. I dont know ANY cleanser that is that cheap and is actually good for your skin. Do some more searching on amazon or ebay if you want a better deal. Just make sure it only has those 3 ingredients, and is in the raw block form.

It's actually $10 including shipping and handling, but yeah It's still a good deal considering how long it lasts. I would feel a lot safer ordering the 6oz since you have nothing bad to say about it and had no issues with shipping. I'm going to go with the 6oz just to be safe.

Thank you.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:34 pm

It's actually $10 including shipping and handling, but yeah It's still a good deal considering how long it lasts. I would feel a lot safer ordering the 6oz since you have nothing bad to say about it and had no issues with shipping. I'm going to go with the 6oz just to be safe.

Thank you.

Just make sure to moisturize. And if you feel a slight tingle/sting when your apply it and the soap buds are working away, its completely normal. Moisturize after you cleanse at night though. Some people complain about dryness with it, just warnin ya.

MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 10/02/2012 7:43 pm

Thank you.

Just make sure to moisturize. And if you feel a slight tingle/sting when your apply it and the soap buds are working away, its completely normal. Moisturize after you cleanse at night though. Some people complain about dryness with it, just warnin ya.

Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it.