Notifications
Clear all

Non-Comodogenic Moisturizer That Is Also Ph Balanced

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/15/2012 7:37 am

Hello......so after trying to ween myself off of chemical skin care products i am left with my face a disaster.

I tried using hemp seed oil as a moisturizer and i loved it but it was making my pores more clogged and worsening my acne.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a moisturizer that is non-comodogenic that is also ph balanced?

As you can see, oils on my skin clog my pores. I'd prefer it not be an acne marketed moisturizer as i am trying to gauge if changes in my supplement will work for me.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@noregrets92)

Posted : 08/15/2012 7:49 am

sebamed clear face gel

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/21/2012 5:05 pm

See the second link in my signature. I've compiled a master list of comedogenic ingredients so you can check for yourself.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 08/21/2012 11:01 pm

I have seen a user mention la roche poseys tolereine moisturiser, you could also have a look at the vichy brand. I know that these are both companies that typically produce skin ph products and are designed for various sensitive skins. Well worth a look.

I have ordered the la roche posey one myself, but won't pass judgement till I have used it for a few weeks (also I'm on accutane so I'm not sure how accurate my experience would really be)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/21/2012 11:17 pm

I was gonna add, I think you said earlier you were trying to go natural? The biggest offender in most natural products is that take out synthetic irritants/cloggers like sulfates...but then they add in loads of coconut oil, which is HIGHLY comedogenic. Many contain olive oil as well, which depending on your skin can clog you pretty bad. Most Burt's Bees products main ingredient is coconut oil, as well as some other brands. So watch out for that.

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 08/21/2012 11:23 pm

jojoba oil

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/12/2012 8:15 pm

I have seen a user mention la roche poseys tolereine moisturiser, you could also have a look at the vichy brand. I know that these are both companies that typically produce skin ph products and are designed for various sensitive skins. Well worth a look.

I have ordered the la roche posey one myself, but won't pass judgement till I have used it for a few weeks (also I'm on accutane so I'm not sure how accurate my experience would really be)

is your moisturizer moisturisng on accutane? Also, the website doesn't list ingredients- whats in it - does it break you out?

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:00 pm

I'm on the lookout for a moisturizer too, as my son and I are both starting Retin-A. I'm looking into mixing one myself using glycerin, water, and possibly aloe. Check out these reviews for glycerin: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/itemid=100030 It can be sticky on its own but I am thinking that adding water and aloe would be a possibility.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:09 pm

is your moisturizer moisturisng on accutane? Also, the website doesn't list ingredients- whats in it - does it break you out?

I have already been through my bottle of this! I absolutely loved it, it was moisturising enough (although I did have to use two pumps and hence when through it pretty quick) but its reasonably expensive, hence having lost my job I have reverted back to my old moisturiser. It didnt break me out (although on accutane I think its hard to tell) and as soon as I am off it and have some more money will go back to it. The ingredients are:

AQUA / WATERSQUALANEGLYCERINDIPROPYLENE GLYCOLCARBOMERSODIUM HYDROXIDEETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN

CAPRYLYL GLYCOL

Which I found on the website here: (but match the bottle I have) http://www.laroche-posay.com/products-treatments/Toleriane/Toleriane-Fluid-p545.aspx

When I say currently using my old moisturiser, thats simple light hydrating fluid, its recommend a lot on here. I found it too greasy pre accutane, but it didnt break me out, and at about 3 a pop its a better option for me right now.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/13/2012 6:22 pm

jojoba oil

I break out like crazy from this. Didn't even realize all the tiny little bumps around my chin and cheeks were because of it.

That being said, grapeseed oil for me is the only natural moisturizing oil that hasn't broken me out. It's meant for sensitive skin so you know it works. I absolutely love it and mix in a 20% Vitamin C serum in with it and it's absolutely wonderful. Wouldn't use anything else.. well.. as of right now haha. :P

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/13/2012 7:08 pm

I'm on the lookout for a moisturizer too, as my son and I are both starting Retin-A. I'm looking into mixing one myself using glycerin, water, and possibly aloe. Check out these reviews for glycerin: http://www.makeupall...p/itemid=100030 It can be sticky on its own but I am thinking that adding water and aloe would be a possibility.

For the changes that my skin are are going through, i definitely know that glycerin and aloe would not be enough. I am looking into purchasing the following 2 items - ingredients are blow 2 on comodogenic scale and it claims to be for sensitive, rosacea skin that is highly reactive.

Avene Tolerance Extreme Anti-irritating Soothing Cream

Avene Antirougeurs Anti-Redness Dermo Fluid

How's retin a going for you and your son? Are you using it for acne purposes?

I have already been through my bottle of this! I absolutely loved it, it was moisturising enough (although I did have to use two pumps and hence when through it pretty quick) but its reasonably expensive, hence having lost my job I have reverted back to my old moisturiser. It didnt break me out (although on accutane I think its hard to tell) and as soon as I am off it and have some more money will go back to it. The ingredients are:

AQUA / WATERSQUALANEGLYCERINDIPROPYLENE GLYCOLCARBOMERSODIUM HYDROXIDEETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN

CAPRYLYL GLYCOL

Which I found on the website here: (but match the bottle I have) http://www.laroche-p...Fluid-p545.aspx

When I say currently using my old moisturiser, thats simple light hydrating fluid, its recommend a lot on here. I found it too greasy pre accutane, but it didnt break me out, and at about 3 a pop its a better option for me right now.

I just put this on my to order list! Ingredients look pretty decent too. How has your face been since starting accutane? Did you have an IB, peeling, redness, etc?

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/13/2012 9:22 pm

I had an initial breakout, but redness etc wise hasnt been too much of a problem. My face has never really been sore, or particularly flakey, etc. But UK derms tend to dose lower than others I've noticed. I'm on 50mg a day and they wont let me exceed that.

I have a little bit off all over redness, nothing that looks too bad, I got a bit redder and a little bit sore once, but I had been out in the sun a fair bit (without realising I would be since I was going to a wedding, and I had assumed the spf in my foundation would cover me). I found that thermal water helped with that, always thought it was a bit of a con, but actually really seemed to help.

Avene, la roche posey, and vichy are all very similar companies you will notice. I think they are actually owned by loreal, but you'll notice the products are very similar, as is the blurb and ideas for the products. What I mean by that is that you'll find they all use similar ingredients and I sometimes think it's worth eyeing up the cheaper one between them all for things.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/14/2012 11:24 am

jojoba oil

I break out like crazy from this. Didn't even realize all the tiny little bumps around my chin and cheeks were because of it.

That being said, grapeseed oil for me is the only natural moisturizing oil that hasn't broken me out. It's meant for sensitive skin so you know it works. I absolutely love it and mix in a 20% Vitamin C serum in with it and it's absolutely wonderful. Wouldn't use anything else.. well.. as of right now haha. tongue.png

Turns out it was clogging some of my pores also unfortunately. I stopped using it a few weeks ago and the little bumps I had went away...sighhh. Thanks for the recommendation on the grapeseed oil

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:41 am

Check out Clearwater's message #46 on this thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/318914-the-importance-of-cleansing/

He's in Australia, so I don't know if this product is available in the USA, but he narrowed his search down to Pure Therapy Intense Moisture Repair Gel. The ingredients are:

Ingredients: Aqua (purified Australian water^), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, panthenol (pro Vit B5), glycerin*, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, sclerotium gum*, ceramide 3, ceramide 6-11, ceramide 1, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, mannitol*, ammonium glycyrrhizate*, caffeine, zinc gluconate*, aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut) seed extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract (certified organic), sodium hyaluronate*, piroctone olamine, xanthan gum, sodium lauroyl lactylate, carbomer, sodium gluconate*, citric acid*, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, ^BP standard *botanical sources

To your question about Retin-A, yes we are using it for acne and light scarring purposes.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:30 am

Check out Clearwater's message #46 on this thread: http://www.acne.org/...e-of-cleansing/

He's in Australia, so I don't know if this product is available in the USA, but he narrowed his search down to Pure Therapy Intense Moisture Repair Gel. The ingredients are:

Ingredients: Aqua (purified Australian water^), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, panthenol (pro Vit B5), glycerin*, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, sclerotium gum*, ceramide 3, ceramide 6-11, ceramide 1, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, mannitol*, ammonium glycyrrhizate*, caffeine, zinc gluconate*, aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut) seed extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract (certified organic), sodium hyaluronate*, piroctone olamine, xanthan gum, sodium lauroyl lactylate, carbomer, sodium gluconate*, citric acid*, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, ^BP standard *botanical sources

To your question about Retin-A, yes we are using it for acne and light scarring purposes.

damn, that looks pretty good. hmmmm

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 10/19/2012 1:10 am

Livingnature.com makes a product called balancing night gel using manuka honey. You can try it and see how it goes.