Notifications
Clear all

Isoniazid-induced acne

MemberMember
(@alisa)

Posted : 06/23/2006 6:52 pm

Hi,

Ever since I've started taking Isoniazid, (tuberculosis-preventing drug), I've been breaking out with nodules and cysts. I only have latent TB, not active, but I was prescribed Isoniazid to prevent future complications.

There's documentation (just google or Pubmed it) that Isoniazid may lead to acne because of its corticosteriod/androgen producing effects.

I have 3 months (out of 9) of medication left. I'm trying to decide whether to follow through with it or to stop. The recommended period of Isoniazid is actually 6-9 months, but the doctor that prescribed isoniazid to me routinely prescribes it for 9 months just to be safe.

I really want to stop taking Isoniazid b/c of the nodules and cysts that it may be causing me, but I don't want to deviate from the doctor's instructions for tuberculosis. I've contacted this doctor about it, but he's affiliated with the university I go to, which is out of state. (I can't just drop by and say 'hey, look at my face. get me off this medicine!')

What should I do?

MemberMember
(@cocopj)

Posted : 06/23/2006 9:03 pm

Try Eurocin Gel to control the cysts and white nodules acne. It's very effective for me. Helps me to control it from spreading or worsening and keep new ones at bay.

MemberMember
(@d3jung3139)

Posted : 12/30/2013 7:13 pm

Hello, I know its been about four years, but right now I'm going through the same thing. I have one more month to go and willing to hear from you to enrich me with your experience with Isoniazid. Should I do the Regimen and are there any other products to use? Thanks so much if you reply.