Notifications
Clear all

Why The Bias?

MemberMember
(@joshd1987)

Posted : 05/31/2014 2:48 pm

As somebody who has been an on-again, off-again member of the forum for a couple years, I think the owner of this site provides a really valuable service.

I don't see any advertisements on the site, so I have no problem at all with him making money by selling some proven products - how else could he keep the site going?

just m,y 0.02.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2014 7:10 pm

Wishclean, thanks for starting this debate. The fact that you got Dan to join in the discussion and make a small change is incredible. You are so right about making noise on a smaller level to bring about changes on a larger scale. I have not found the acne diet that works for me but as you said, it's just a matter of matching the correct diet to the individual. I admit i am discouraged on the diet front but i know that a healthy diet tailored for my body can help my overall health. I would definitely love to meet up with you if i'm ever in your neck of the woods as you seem like a cool person.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/01/2014 11:50 pm

Wishclean, thanks for starting this debate. The fact that you got Dan to join in the discussion and make a small change is incredible. You are so right about making noise on a smaller level to bring about changes on a larger scale. I have not found the acne diet that works for me but as you said, it's just a matter of matching the correct diet to the individual. I admit i am discouraged on the diet front but i know that a healthy diet tailored for my body can help my overall health. I would definitely love to meet up with you if i'm ever in your neck of the woods as you seem like a cool person.

thanks for reading my rant lol. A small change is fine, but not really that accurate. Plus, he still hasn't added vitamins to the options on how to deal with acne, or specific diets for that matter. But oh well, I'll take what I can get.

MemberMember
(@calidrummer)

Posted : 06/02/2014 3:56 pm

Not sure if the mods could address this. It's something that kind of bothers me on acne.org, a forum that supposedly supports various approaches to acne. I know the main point for some (Dan) is to make money off of the regimen products (let's be real, $$$ is part of the reason why this site exists, even though it's helping a lot of people). But I still think that in the list of possible acne treatments here http://www.acne.org/treatments.html , natural remedies shouldn't be labeled as largely ineffective. What's the point of having a Diet & Holistic forum on acne.org if the hosting site doesn't even support diet and holistic approaches to acne?

Sorry for being nit picky, media analysis is my job and I inevitably analyze these things. I just think it's ironic and biased to dismiss natural treatments while pushing accutane and dan's products as the most effective treatments. I thought Dan was all about alternative research and finding new things that work, not pushing something that has so many potential side effects while also discounting the experiences of so many people who fight acne the natural way.

Can someone give me an answer or correct the label on that page? It bothers smart people like me to see such narrow mindedness on that page. And if there is scientific evidence to back up that list, fine, then there are so many other scientific papers that list all the detrimental side effects of accutane and bp. Therefore, these treatments are not 100% successful and they are controversial. I just think other approaches should be given some merit, otherwise what is the point of having separate sub forums if you're only going to push 2 mainstream treatments? At least give it a "Somewhat Effective" rating...it's offensive to the hundreds of people (thousands over the years) who are posting on the holistic forum.

Anyway, my rant is over

This forum has existed way before Dan offered his products. It's his website and he is free to promote and sell whatever he likes.